Appalling Customer Service

ausbod

Those of us who waited,, and are still waiting for Holland America to answer the many queries that have been raised over the now defunct cruise to Japan that started in Kobe from 1 April 2012 through to Vancouver are getting a lesson on their amazing process of stonewalling every legitimate enquiry as to their alternative cruise schedule.

I guess this the new HAL - keep them guessing until it suits them to make a decision. And I thought they were a "premium" cruise line that treated its passengers as guests?

I got fed up with the process and have booked an alternative cruise with Princess.

Those of us who waited,, and are still waiting for Holland America to answer the many queries that have been raised over the now defunct cruise to Japan that started in Kobe from 1 April 2012 through to Vancouver are getting a lesson on their amazing process of stonewalling every legitimate enquiry as to their alternative cruise schedule.

I guess this the new HAL - keep them guessing until it suits them to make a decision. And I thought they were a "premium" cruise line that treated its passengers as guests?

I got fed up with the process and have booked an alternative cruise with Princess.

I hope you enjoy your cruise with Princess, they are a good cruise line.

Kirk

This Zandam cancelled cruise situation is crazy. There is a parallel thread called the Zandam fiasco.

I heard once again from a senior manager at HAL yesterday that there is still no resolution. She is the same person who promised that for sure the whole plan would be revealed by a week ago Friday. Then on that day she said it would be by yesterday. She honestly seems to be embarrassed about how we are being treated. But despite the nice words from the senior manager, the situation remains the same ...

they took our money

the have taken the cruise off of their web site two months ago

we have no idea if, when or where the cruise will go

and every time you call customer service they make up another story

I am convinced that they are trying to charter out the cruise and they are stringing us along in case the charter doesn't work out.

This is a bizarre business practice. This cruise isn't like a seven day Caribbean cruise that is easily interchangeable. A 37 day cruise is a major commitment in time and money. The type of cruiser who takes this cruise would seem to be the best customers of HAL. Their actions appear to be running us off in droves.

We'll be seeing you on the Princess cruise as well.

Mayhap/Maybe it is because Japan is still devastated by the Tsunami and its after effects still to this day.

I am so sorry that so many of you are upset about this cruise being cancelled or being told nothing because HAL did not know how badly the people in Japan were affected.

Try and keep in mind that HAL and ev ery other cruise line that had plans to go to ports in Japan are affected and some are more aware of the human suffering there.

A cruise line can change its plans at a moments notice both for our safety, the safety of the crew and most importantly, for the safety and thoughtfulness of the country(s) involved.

Yes, it is your cruise that you have planned for that you are worried/concerned with but think of the Japanese people who have lost so much more:(

Joanie

Cleveland:

Good point- it is a large amount and money committment for you. It is also a large committment for HAL. And, as as you correctly pointed out, it is not easy to find a substitute, nor is it easy on HAL's part either. Skipping Japan puts a huge hole in the route, and a major re-supplying point is gone.

Cleveland and ausbod, you have a deposit committed to a cruise 9 months away. HAL needs to get that ship from Point A to Point F, while suddenly needing to skip several points in the middle. It isn't just flipping a switch.

Kobe was not directly affected by the disaster and is not affected by the power issues that plague Tokyo to this day. My family lives in Osaka (slightly to the East) and they are saying that the economy has picked up a bit from companies moving in from the East in order to continue work. Of course, that's bitter-sweet for them considering all the suffering their fellow countrymen to the East have gone through.

Anyway, I'd be curious to find out if the cancelation was in fact a result of the tidal wave disaster.

Regardless of the reason, HAL is very aware as to why they cancelled the cruise. They should communicate that to their customers.

Mayhap/Maybe it is because Japan is still devastated by the Tsunami and its after effects still to this day.

I am so sorry that so many of you are upset about this cruise being cancelled or being told nothing because HAL did not know how badly the people in Japan were affected.

Try and keep in mind that HAL and ev ery other cruise line that had plans to go to ports in Japan are affected and some are more aware of the human suffering there.

A cruise line can change its plans at a moments notice both for our safety, the safety of the crew and most importantly, for the safety and thoughtfulness of the country(s) involved.

Yes, it is your cruise that you have planned for that you are worried/concerned with but think of the Japanese people who have lost so much more:(

Joanie

I feel for you, how frustrating.

I've had my eye on this itinerary as a dream cruise someday. After the earthquake I've wondered what will happen to the cruises already planned and booked for this year.

First off, I completely agree with Joanie.

Second, I don't think that this situation is a typical representation of HAL customer service. Try and think of the logistics that they, and the Japanese tourist agencies are going through. I'm sure Japan would like to rebuild their tourism industry as soon as possible. Any tourist destination has come to rely on the revenue generated. I'm sure HAL and other tour operators have been promised alternatives. There are probably many many negotiations going on as we speak. There is probably massive amounts of scrambling to try to put together a nice facade to ensure the tourist come back, and have a lovely time in spite of the hardships Japan is facing. This would be like if your house had a huge tree fall on it, and you rebuilt your living room to entertain guests because your livelyhood depended on it.

I think I would have quickly booked an alternative after the earthquake, and hoped that I could rebook the Japan cruise sometime in the near future. I don't think it would be reasonable to expect that HAL or Japan could cater to my desires in the face of this disaster.

We cruise with HAL as well as other lines and I do not consider myself a HAL apologist. Board posts do indicate that customer service by telephone and email has been spotty, but in response to the OP subject line I feel the need to communicate two instances of what I considered to be very positive customer service.

Most recently, after arriving in Copenhagen we discovered that Air France lost our luggage. The flight had been delayed many hours and we barely made the sailing. The front desk staff on the Westerdam were very accommodating, offering us HAL travel kits, daily updates from Air France, complimentary laundry service and formal wear rentals, and some laundered clothing from what I assume was their lost & found. They also notified the MDR that we would be less than smart casual. DW received her luggage on Day 6 and I did not receive mine until disembarkation on Day 12. HAL also provided a very nice letter to attach to our lost luggage claim.

More impressive was customer service we received via telephone with the main office regarding a W. Caribbean cruise a few years ago. I had booked the cruise 11 months in advance. At approximately 60 days out, my DW was diagnosed and began chemotherapy for cancer. I called HAL to explain and asked about options. I then cancelled five HAL shore excursions and the representative issued full credit back to our credit card (as opposed to onboard credit). She stated that she would keep our booking and if we needed to cancel we would receive a full refund from HAL without having to go through our travel insurance carrier. Turns out the oncologist adjusted treatments to allow a cruise and we enjoyed a wonderful relaxing cruise that could not have come at a better time. I only wish I had recorded the name of the very kind woman that served us. HAL certainly earned my appreciation and continued loyalty from that experience.

An itinerary for April 15 2012 to Vancouver has appeared on their website overnight, Friday night.

But the itinerary and map shown on the HAL site don't agree!! Which itinerary is valid?

Dan

"Good customer service"

Hello,

I know you're concerned by the change in our April 1 sailing of the Zaandam. This happened because .............. We are trying our best to come up with an alternate plan but if you wish to, we would be happy to offer you another sailing.

Oh, you have your air already. Well, we are willing to offer you an OBC equal to the air change fee.

We really don't know when the final itinerary will be available but rest assured that we will contact your travel agent (or you) as soon as we can.

Of course you can cancel your cruise with no penalty.

We do appreciate your business and hope that these options will work for you.

OK, so I'm dreaming!

Actually, that is pretty much the type of service I get from my HAL cruise consultant.

I did get a polite run around from someone who answered the phone one day when my cruise consultant was on vacation. In this instance, I referred to his auto message email reply, found out who was covering him in his absence, emailed that guy, and my problems went away.

Now, I would also like to mention here that DH and I are not 4 star mariners. We have only sailed on one previous HAL cruise, and we are probably in the absolute average when it comes to how much money we spend with them. We have done NOTHING to earn special treatment, and yet, special treatment is what we receive.

I will forever keep booking through the cruise consultant. I even made sure that when we book next years trip onboard this years trip, to get the good prices and low deposit, that my cruise consultant will get the booking. And he does. They take it and send it on to him.

While booking this route means that we don't get the OBC that we might going through a TA, it's so worth the cost to me. In my opinion, every time someone offers you something for free, like OBC, they are making up for it somehow. Like, maybe, not getting the upgrade you would if you booked without OBC?

We are persnickety travelers, and can be terrible critics. I'm not giving kudos that haven't been earned.

Actually, that is pretty much the type of service I get from my HAL cruise consultant.

I did get a polite run around from someone who answered the phone one day when my cruise consultant was on vacation. In this instance, I referred to his auto message email reply, found out who was covering him in his absence, emailed that guy, and my problems went away.

Now, I would also like to mention here that DH and I are not 4 star mariners. We have only sailed on one previous HAL cruise, and we are probably in the absolute average when it comes to how much money we spend with them. We have done NOTHING to earn special treatment, and yet, special treatment is what we receive.

I will forever keep booking through the cruise consultant. I even made sure that when we book next years trip onboard this years trip, to get the good prices and low deposit, that my cruise consultant will get the booking. And he does. They take it and send it on to him.

While booking this route means that we don't get the OBC that we might going through a TA, it's so worth the cost to me. In my opinion, every time someone offers you something for free, like OBC, they are making up for it somehow. Like, maybe, not getting the upgrade you would if you booked without OBC?

We are persnickety travelers, and can be terrible critics. I'm not giving kudos that haven't been earned.

I actually thought, while reading your post, that we had the same HAL PCC, thst is until you said "HE."

I also have a fantastic one and will only deal with her or her vacation stand in while she is out of office. Mine calls me and lets me know when something is going to change, good and bad, and basically keeps us in the loop.

When my hubby, for one instance, accidentally booked all of our Shore Excursions on line for our May 2009 Alaska Cruise he checked the box that said 2 children. His credit card went through and he printed out all of our itinerary and never noticed the extreme price difference much, except to mention that he thought that as returning Mariners (still 1 star) he thought we had gotten a 20% discount. About a month before we went on our cruise, our HAL PCC called and said something to the effect of, "Joanie, we have a slight problem with your excursions. We think there might have been a technical glitch when Roger booked the excursions and you were charged for 2 children instead of 2 adults." She knows that we had only booked 2 of us into our stateroom and no kids involved:) Hubby happened to be sitting behind me at his computer, grabbed his printout and realized it was HIS mistake and not HAL's. We immediately got our excursions changed to the adult prices and never had a problem after that.

If you have a GOOD and I do mean REALLY GOOD PCC they will take care of you no matter how many stars you have. They will treat you as if you are their best customer no matter what.

As a matter of fact, yesterday she called me with some really important information that I made extreme haste to take care of as soon as I got off the phone with her. It means money and that makes hubby and I both Happy:) I cannot tell anyone the news that you will be seeing very soon, but know this much... Your HAL PCC, will notify you in the next day or so, if they have not done so yet:cool: (Just a little tease... if you have not made your PG reservations yet... I would do so immediately (I cannot say more at this time...))

I think that so many people on Cruise Critic read so many bad things, that they do not see those posts about the GOOD HAL Reps. Seldom do they read far enough into a thread to see the good, Or maybe the Bad accounts just stand out to them more....No idea, but I digressed, sorry.

Joanie

Those of you on the "proposed" cruise should cut HAL some slack! They re-scheduled our May 2, 2011 sailing to stop in Pusan, South Korea, and Vladivostok and Petropavlask Russian Federation on about 6 weeks notice from time of tsunami and earthquake to sailing!

We continued with HAL and took the cruise as they changed ports of call. I personally feel after doing that particular cruise that HAL is re-thinking those particular stop! Not South Korea, but the Russian Federation stops! It took 5-1/2 and 6-1/2 hours respectively to clear the ship so that anyone could go ashore in the Russian Federation.

Since we had agreed to take the cruise, we did complain, nor would we. Some folks were most unhappy, but "them's the breaks, folks." Personally, we opted to keep our booking for that particular cruise because we had never visited Kodiak and Sitka Alaska, and both ports were particular highlights for us!

HAL cruise staff did everything within their power to keep passengers busy and occupied while the Russian officials took their many breaks and ate numerous meals in the Lido!

If HAL is "delaying" in giving a definite itinerary, I feel that for those booked on that cruise that it is for your own good. They are trying to come up with something that would be a good substitute for the Japanese ports that you will be missing. When we flew into Osaka, we flew directly over Sendai and the devastation could be seen from 38,000 feet. Japan has suffered a terrible tragedy and it will take a long time to recover!

My advice would to be patient, or to just cancel. I know it is frustrating, but obviously, there is more than one side to a story!! (Sorry, if this comes off as heartless, but we were on a similar cruise just 6 weeks after the horrific tragedy.)

I keep reading this and thinking, "Maybe HAL hasn't said anything because they're still trying to find some alternative." And all the rumors and what have you that are on this board have gotten the people fired up. I guess if I were on the cruise, I might be concerned but its still 9 mos. away. I can't imagine they would just not say something or offer an alternative as the time gets closer. I have not found them to be lax on customer service at all. I've never had someone from there to treat me unkindly at all. I think some of you are jumping ship (pardon the pun) too early. I've read so many untruths and half truths from self styled experts on cruise critic that I only half believe what I read on here. I would never take any of the rumors as gospel until I checked it out myself. I really doubt they are trying to pull something sneaky on you.

I would look for a back up cruise with another cruise line.Just make sure that the ports that were canceled on HAL are not on the other cruise. Then you can choose.

I would think that there is a lot of paper work to get new ports of call.

But get a back up.

Having worked in the shipping industry I certainly understand the problems with communications. I also understand that "ship" happens beyond the control ot the company. However, someone made a decision to cancel, change, modify the April 1 2012 sailing. Once that was done, an email should have been generated to the PCC and TA's. Telling the wrong story, getting frustrated with customers who want to know what is going on does not earn HAL any points.

This appears to be an ongoing problem. I don't believe that it is because HAL just doesn't care but it certainly appears to be the case.

A review of the policies regarding customer notification should be done. Something is not working as it should. This is just good business.

As a matter of fact, yesterday she called me with some really important information that I made extreme haste to take care of as soon as I got off the phone with her. It means money and that makes hubby and I both Happy:) I cannot tell anyone the news that you will be seeing very soon, but know this much... Your HAL PCC, will notify you in the next day or so, if they have not done so yet:cool: (Just a little tease... if you have not made your PG reservations yet... I would do so immediately (I cannot say more at this time...))

Joanie

I just made my PG reservations for August cruise!

Joanie

Very well said Joanie. I too was booked on the Zaandam. I too have lost some money due to the change in ports of call for the cruise (had booked air miles to Hong Kong). But when the whole cruise was changed from what I had originally booked and it looked like we were going to have the Russian ports of call instead of the Japanese ports of call, I decided to cancel the cruise. I decided that I would wait until Japan has a change to recover from their disaster. After all an earthquake and tsunamai are disasters that even HAL can not predict or prepare for quickly. And the problem with the April 1st cruise originally from Kobe to Vancouver was that there were so many Japanese port visits---8 days in Japan. To me that seems like a logistics nightmare.

We booked another cruise on HAL. After all HAL has so many cruises that I want to go on, it wasn't that big of a deal to forgo the Asia cruise on the Zaandam. I'm sure that Japan will be on future itineraries.

If those Japanese ports of call are back as indicated on the HAL web site, I'm sure that there are going to be some adventurous cruisers who will get a good deal to take that cruise.

We love HAL and we are not going to let one messed up itinerary change our mind so that we jump ship to another cruise line.

I know it's easy for me to say - I'm not booked on the cruise . . . but, Joanie - good point and well stated. Some things are beyond our control - or even HAL's.

It's true that the situation is beyond HAL's control but why can't their Customer Service people just say, "We don't yet know what the final itinerary will be." instead of making up answers.

It's true that the situation is beyond HAL's control but why can't their Customer Service people just say, "We don't yet know what the final itinerary will be." instead of making up answers.

Because some people don't want to hear "we don't know" and proceed to have a hissy fit. The customer service people can't win no matter what they do.

Because some people don't want to hear "we don't know" and proceed to have a hissy fit. The customer service people can't win no matter what they do.

I agree. So I would put it this way- when told they "don't know yet", how many people would have a hissy fit, claim poor customer service by HAL, or that HAL was a poorly run business just because in 5 minutes, they can't fix every problem. No win situation for the HAL employee on the phone.

Archived