French mani/pedi- Cheap looking????

Gym Girl

Betsy, I too am always on the hunt for the perfect red lipstick.

It is very possible that the reason you have not found it is that red is not flattering on your face. I know I cannot wear it at all on my lips. I finally accepted it and moved on to other colors. I searched for years tho. I have medium brown hair and pale skin that gets a reddish cast when tan and red is just not for me. I may be wrong, I have been wrong before (apparently I am dead wrong about Frech Mnaicures : ) but it just might not be a good color for you.

A french manicure looks ok on those with short nails NOT talons. Hate them on toes. I don't do french manicures personally since to me they are a bit dated. I tend to wear light colors on my nails (ballet slipper etc) and brighter colors on my toes since pedi last longer.

One other pet peeve are women who let their toenails grow long (qtr of an inch or more past the nail bed)

I recently had my acrylic nails taken off after 10 years of having them. I found a fantastic product on QVC called T.I.P.S. I started using this product right after my acrylics came off, and have had virtually no splitting or breaking of my natural nails. I now get manicures every two weeks.

I get the American manicure, as described above. The tips are not painted stark white, but rather a very subtle color, covered with a sheer pink. Very natural looking.

After looking through numerous magazines, I noticed that the celebrities and others pictured almost always have no color on their nails. Isn't that interesting?

A professional manicure that looks cheap? Sounds like a certain magazine didn't have enough to fill its pages this month . . . As long as your nails are neat and the color compliments your skin/hair and your clothing, you are fine with any style. If YOU like the style, go for it.

I'll agree that a french manicure looks better on natural, shorter nails. I don't wear acrylics, I have medium length nails and it looks pretty good. Again, I don't use the stark white tips, either, but a more muted cream color.

I found a very summery, bright orangy red nail polish for my toes. All of my friends and co-workers ran out and bought it, it is cheap and lasts forever. It's Rimmell, and the color is Tequila Sunrise. I keep my toes this color year round!

I started skipping the polish when my nails started getting brittle. Was told & research on the web confirmed it, that polish dries them out over time - makes sense. Then I started asking for a 'buff ' (was done a lot years ago) - brings blood into the nail bed which nourishes & strengthens the nail, smooths out imperfections like ridges and also shines up the surface. Lasts as long as my manicure/pedicure and is 'chip proof'. Nails also seem to be pinker not to mention no longer brittle also. Never met a man who liked 'red' polish on either hands or feet though. One guy went so far as to say it reminded him of claws with blood on them - ugh. Maybe some of u might want to experiment with 'buffing' as a much cheaper (& better for the nails) alternative. Happy cruisin' all!!

Hello, everyone!

Well, I got my nails "done" last night (I have acrylics)- and went with a creamy beige color- looks really fabulous. Didn't have time for the pedi, so will have that color choice to look forward to!

Betsy

I wear french manicures on my fingers and sometimes on my toes. My fingernails are acrylic,what you would call an "active length". I prefer light colors on my toes,My favorites are: Ballet Slippers by Essie,Prelude to a Kiss and Sarah Smile by Deborah Lippmann. I wore a french pedi on our last cruise and the salt water took the white off my toes in a day...I ended up getting a pedi on the ship with a light Essie color,but not Ballet Slippers,they didn't have it.

Dancing is right! Sunscreen can kill a french manicure as well as sand and surf. I also am a fan of the light fingers dark toes. Does anyone else get designs on their toes? In so cal it is quite popular to get flowers and even tiny rhinestones. I know it sounds totally 80's but it is actually quite festive!

A:D

Then I started asking for a 'buff ' (was done a lot years ago) - brings blood into the nail bed which nourishes & strengthens the nail, smooths out imperfections like ridges and also shines up the surface. Lasts as long as my manicure/pedicure and is 'chip proof'.

Haven't seen buffing at NYC salons in a long time.

Folashade,

The Spa at Chelsea Piers offers the choice of lacquer or a high-gloss buffing with their spa manicures. A little out of the way (Pier 60, entrance at 22nd Street and the Hudson River) and more expensive than a regular salon manicure, but a nice treat. And if you are there in the late afternoon on a Sunday, you may catch a glimpse of the Norwegian Dawn heading downriver. :)

Folashade,

The Spa at Chelsea Piers offers the choice of lacquer or a high-gloss buffing with their spa manicures. A little out of the way (Pier 60, entrance at 22nd Street and the Hudson River) and more expensive than a regular salon manicure, but a nice treat. And if you are there in the late afternoon on a Sunday, you may catch a glimpse of the Norwegian Dawn heading downriver. :)

Thanks for the tip! :) I work at the WFC so it is not so out of the way and that is a nice spa. Haven't had a manicure there but will try it thanks so much.

Also FYI for those in NYC spa week is 4/18-4/24 treatments at particicpating spas is $50

http://www.spaweek.org/ :)

Cruisecrasy,

You never met a man who liked red nails? Well, you haven't met my DH! I used to have red manicures all the time but didn't like the upkeep because red chipped nails are the worst. So when I swithced to a natural/pink color on my fingers he was so disappointed. But I keep my toe's red so he's happy about that.

folashade - alot of the salons here in NYC offer buffing. I go to a typical korean nail salon in my neighborhood (midtown) and they offer it, though it's usually men who go for it. Oh and yes, I know all about spa week. I managed to score the last appt at exhale for a $250. facial for the $50. spa week price!!! Yippee! :)

Jane

Check out "I'm not really a waitress" red from OPI. It's a cross between red and burgundy with a tiny bit of shimmer. Fabulous!

That is my hands-down 100% favorite color! I've never found a better red--it's a classic, blue-based red with just a bit of shimmer to it. I adore this color!

As for the whole French manicure thing, I've always found it to be a little cheap looking, and definitely pedestrian. On the toes it's certainly a train wreck! But, to each his own, I guess!

Can someone please explain what "buffing" is? Thanks!

When you buff your nails, you take a buffing paste and put it on your nails, then using a buffer, usually covered with a chamois material, you basically just rub the buffer across your nails, much like you'd wax your car.

The result are nails that are very smooth, nice and shiny, and very healthy looking. You can get the cream and buffers from any nearby beauty supply store if you want to do it yourself, or have your manicurist do it for you.

This looks like a nice set here...http://www.nailbuffs.com/Products_files/hereandnowndesign.htm

Archived