No Jeans in the Main Dining Room?

Where we come from "formal wear" is clean jeans, that being said...

My DH and I just got back from Alaska on the Sea Princess where we wore our jeans every night except for formal nights. No one said a thing. We always wore clean jeans, nice shirts and accessories. Now then, I wish they would do something about the baseball caps and cell phones in the dining room.....

Where we come from "formal wear" is clean jeans, that being said...

My DH and I just got back from Alaska on the Sea Princess where we wore our jeans every night except for formal nights. No one said a thing. We always wore clean jeans, nice shirts and accessories. Now then, I wish they would do something about the baseball caps and cell phones in the dining room.....

Where I live there are work jeans and going-out jeans --totally different... Some of the most elegant folks I have ever seen at formal events have been wearing immaculately pressed jeans, western shirts with bolo ties or necklaces, western-cut jackets, and boots.

With all due respect to your preference, if jeans are acceptable per Princess policy people just need to accept it.

I agree with Karatemom2. There is no question that Princess permits non-torn/fraying jeans. People who disapprove of that need to get over it. If someone posts and asks: do you think I should wear jeans on smart casual nights, then fire away with your personal preferences. But if they ask "are jeans permitted on smart casual nights" then the answer is a definitive yes.

Personally, I just wish people would wear clothes that flatter them, but you can't put that into a dress code, lol! I know that my "mom jeans" aren't my best look so I avoid them at dinner in the MDR. On the other hand, my tall, thin 14 year old can wear jeans and always look great.

I wore jeans many times on June Princess cruise without a problem or a sneer from the cumberbunded dining room captains. I wore pressed jeans on formal nights and had no issues with being seated or served all over the ship. My nonscientific observation was only 20% of men formally dressed - meaning, at minimum, tie and jacket. I hate formal dress and refuse to wear a monkey suit when on vacation.

Obviously, torn pants with holes are another story. I did not see those except at the buffett where a number of women wore flip flops and bare feet. I did see lots of badly done tattoos, men with multiple earings and passengers who did not bath at dinner.

I just want to chime in because I did a search and found this site, the reason for my search is that I'm flying to Seattle to do a cruise to Alaska, now with that being said, it's cooler in Alaska so daywear will be jeans or cords and I want to be able to wear my jeans/cords in the dining room to cut back on packing. With the additional cost for each piece of luggage, I want to cut back on what I bring. Caribbean cruises let us pack shorts for daywear which are smaller and lighter, but in Alaska jeans are necessary for most excursions.

Don't forget we're all on vacation and to some vacation means not dressing up every day!

And from our experience on those excursions the jeans will come back damp and dirty. Not exactly evening wear in those conditions. :rolleyes:

Plan on bringing other clothes for the evening.

My rule of thumb is if I am dining in an elegant room at a table with fine linens and china and crystal, I leave the jeans in the cabin and dress in a dress pants and blouse. If I want to wear the clothes I have been in all day (jeans), I eat at the buffet. :)

Archived