No Jeans in the Main Dining Room?

Hubby and I will be on Ruby Princess for Thanksgiving and I read there are no jeans allowed in the main dining room. On all other cruises we've been on he wears jeans and a nice button up (sometimes w/ a sports jacket) on the informal nights. Will they turn him away from the main dining room if he has jeans on???

Hubby and I will be on Ruby Princess for Thanksgiving and I read there are no jeans allowed in the main dining room. On all other cruises we've been on he wears jeans and a nice button up (sometimes w/ a sports jacket) on the informal nights. Will they turn him away from the main dining room if he has jeans on???

Mr.Qt wore jeans and a nice shirt on our first night of a cruise once when his luggage was late in arriving to the room. They did not turn him away nor did he look much out of place (I think he felt strange through) as it seems a few of the jean wearing cruiser's luggage must have been late arriving.

Otherwise we do not see them that much in the MDR's.

I wonder where you read that, cause it's wrong. Princess's Cruise Answer Book says that non-torn, non-frayed jeans are permitted. You probably won't see too many people in them on a warm weather sailing, but there's always a few people who wear 'em. I've even worn white ones ('cause that's a very hot evening look with high-heeled sandals and a flirty top) and I'm very much a dress traditionalist. So he'll be fine.

Yep, no problem with jeans. I've worn them a few times with a nice shirt and never had a problem. My niece and I noticed people wearing them on our recent Mexican Riviera cruise. They were nice jeans and folks were wearing nice tops/shirts with them.

Enjoy your cruise

Yes, jeans are allowed and no, he won't be turned away. One thing to be aware of is that in my experience and observations, few wear jeans. If he doesn't mind being in a small minority, then it should be fine.

we were on the Caribbean Princess in May and were surprised to see more people than usual wearing jeans in the MDR. Not a lot of people, mind you, but maybe one in every 10 or 12, more than we've seen on any Princess ship other than in Alaska.

They were all nice jeans, with nice shirts or tops - and the one in every 10 or 12 was on the first and last night. The resort casual nights in between it was probably one in every 20 or so.

I think it might be that since we were left out of Brooklyn and many New Yorkers go to dinner wearing jeans it might have had an impact on dress.

At the same time, I did see the maitre d turn away 2 men on 2 different evenings who were wearing shorts. One was wearing jean shorts - knee length ones, and one was wearing what I consider "mens dress shorts", pressed beige khakis with a belt, knee length.

Short of wearing jeans with holes & rips in them they won't turn anyone away from the dining room for wearing them and they don't have to be designer jeans either. In the Caribbean most people don't wear them off the ship but for dinner in the air conditioned dining room & show lounger they're comfortable & great option.

The very liberal "dress code" for Smart Casual and Formal nights:

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

Whether the dress codes are enforced can vary from ship to ship.

Some Maitre d's get fed up with negative, falsified, post cruise review comments and consequently abandon applying formal night dress codes. How do I know this? A couple Head Waiters told me.

I'd guess a cc search for "jeans" might result in an unending number of posts.:p

Some Maitre d's get fed up with negative, falsified, post cruise review comments and consequently abandon applying formal night dress codes. How do I know this? A couple Head Waiters told me.

A few falsified reports on anyone's performance record wound make them think long & hard about arguing with any passenger for fear of retaliation. If a head waiter has intentions of advancing to Maitre D' someday in the future it's best to keep a low profile & not make waves. Is it right? Probably not, but it's the truth of the situation.

We are recently back from the CB & there were plenty of jeans in the DR. There's also a huge double standard on what women/girls & men/boys are allowed in with. My 15yo hd nice khaki shorts on with a polo shirt & was told he had to change, but there were plenty of people wth rag-gy jeans & t-shirts & girls/women with jean short shorts who were allowed in. So go figure that one out

I will be wearing white jean capris and a really cute top VERY soon on the Sapphire Princess!

I think jeans are so IN fashion wise that it is perfectly fine as long as they are nice looking.

An evening out for dinner in a nice restaurant, to me, means no jeans. Those in jeans in the MDR have been in the absolute minority. Jeans....cargo, varying degrees of faded, those above the ankles, those below the rear. Is it too much to ask to wear casual attire that aren't jeans, just for a couple of hours?

An evening out for dinner in a nice restaurant, to me, means no jeans. Those in jeans in the MDR have been in the absolute minority. Jeans....cargo, varying degrees of faded, those above the ankles, those below the rear. Is it too much to ask to wear casual attire that aren't jeans, just for a couple of hours?
FYI, the dress request is for "smart" casual; not casual. There's a difference.

With all due respect to your preference, if jeans are acceptable per Princess policy people just need to accept it. I guess to me it is just such a non-issue. Perhaps because in Southern California jeans dressed up are a staple in almost any social situation I just don't see the big deal. Most people I see dressed in jeans in the dining room look more presentable in nicely tailored jeans with dressy shirt than some who are wearing rumpled Dockers. Even after all these years of cruising I still find it so amusing that people get in such a twist about what others are wearing. If I don't like what I see, I can just turn my head, smile and think "Well thank goodness I'm not wearing that!" It doesn't really affect my cruise, in fact, in many instances seeing some of the get-ups of my fellow cruisers has significantly added to the entertainment factor.

There was a day when I would have insisted that my son and husband wear only their khakis to dinner, but I have softened up along with Princess. If others are allowed to wear jeans, who am I to insist to them that they can't. So on occasion they will now wear nice jeans with a polo or button up to dinner, and they both look exceedingly handsome in my estimation. And, though I'm chagrined to admit it here, I even broke down and wore jeans to dinner once on our last Alaska cruise since it seemed to be de rigueur amongst my fellow cruisers.

On our last cruise our luggage did not arrive in our cabin until 10:45 P.M.

So, I had a choice. I could wear the jeans that I traveled in or go without them.:eek:

Out of deep consideration for my fellow shipmates, I decided to wear the Jeans. Passed right on through into the dinning room with no problem.

This was the only time that I have done this.

Bob

On our last cruise our luggage did not arrive in our cabin until 10:45 P.M.

So, I had a choice. I could wear the jeans that I traveled in or go without them.:eek:

Out of deep consideration for my fellow shipmates, I decided to wear the Jeans. Passed right on through into the dinning room with no problem.

This was the only time that I have done this.

Bob

That's why shorts are allowed on the first & last nights also. It provides two nights of complete casual attire in the dining rooms.

I wear my jeans the vast majority of the time im on vacation. For my upcoming Alaska cruise on the Diamond next month i will be in jeans and so will my wife for the vast majority of the time. On formal nights i will be in a suit and tie though.

If you dont like my jeans, then kudos to you! Dont bother me. Heck you can even tell me you dont like em and i wont care. At the end of the day their allowed so i wear them and the only persons whose opinion matters to me is my wife's so i'll just smile and wish you a good cruise!

On the other hand dont tell my wife she needs to put on something other then jeans. She is just returning from Iraq after a year long deployment and she will tell you exactly what she thinks of your "addition" to the dress code :D

As stated in most of the posts, jeans are allowed. If you cruise out of Galveston for example jeans will be the dominate dress since most in this area wear jeans all the time including to nice restaurants. I have noticed that ships leaving FLL seem to have a large number of men in jeans in the MDR but not like I have seen out of Galveston. Being a frontier state, many Alaskans wear jeans most of the time. Moral to the story is it depends on what part of the country or world most of the pax are coming from. Since I live in the southwest, I wear jeans all the time except when in shorts in the summer.

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to chime in because I did a search and found this site, the reason for my search is that I'm flying to Seattle to do a cruise to Alaska, now with that being said, it's cooler in Alaska so daywear will be jeans or cords and I want to be able to wear my jeans/cords in the dining room to cut back on packing. With the additional cost for each piece of luggage, I want to cut back on what I bring. Caribbean cruises let us pack shorts for daywear which are smaller and lighter, but in Alaska jeans are necessary for most excursions.

Don't forget we're all on vacation and to some vacation means not dressing up every day!

With all due respect to your preference, if jeans are acceptable per Princess policy people just need to accept it. I guess to me it is just such a non-issue. ...

Most of us understand your point for as you say it is acceptable per Princeess' policy. But what we think the poster is referring to and we are therefore in agreement with is that self imposed standards is what will make the positive experience of cruiseing continue on instead of degenerating to who knows what. Is there nothing that you are currently experiencing aboard your chosen cruises that you feel represents a declining standard? Something that once was and is no more? Something that we have lost?

Archived