Boarding time

stew300

In my experience Seabourn used to be more relaxed about boarding time. In the past we often boarded, checked in immediately and went to the Sky bar to order a late lunch. Now final documents for our Norwegian Fjords cruise in a few weeks it epxressly states that boarding time is 2PM but that if you wish to board early you will be asked to remain in the lounge until your suite is ready no later than 3pm. However, to my mind there are worse things that sitting in the lounge drinking champagne and meeting our fellow passengers( and they do provide a selection of sanwhiches and cookies).

In my experience Seabourn used to be more relaxed about boarding time. In the past we often boarded, checked in immediately and went to the Sky bar to order a late lunch. Now final documents for our Norwegian Fjords cruise in a few weeks it epxressly states that boarding time is 2PM but that if you wish to board early you will be asked to remain in the lounge until your suite is ready no later than 3pm. However, to my mind there are worse things that sitting in the lounge drinking champagne and meeting our fellow passengers( and they do provide a selection of sanwhiches and cookies).

Agree with all of this - however, the lounge area on the small ships is much pleasanter to have a sandwich and drink in than on the larger ships, which is like sitting in a darkened TV room, with virtually nowhere to put your glass and plate, and not easy to chat to others. I wish SB would find a better solution for the Quest etc., as it gives a not so good impression to first timers. If it were possible, the Club would be a much nicer venue.

Who's going to stop you from leaving the lounge and going elsewhere on the ship? Very few on the triplets knew they could go to the Sky Bar and order room service and very few did. No reason not to go to Seabourn Square and have a coffee in more pleasant surroundings or sit at the Patio Grill.

The reason when we were last on Sojourn was that we were pretty well physically stopped from leaving the lounge, being told our suites were ready and we were about to be called. Admittedly, it did not take long, but it did not feel like the usual Seabourn style!

Lord of the Seas,

I would love to plead that I have been "practicing" drinking champagne for our upcoming trip but I am afraid that the truth is poor typing and worse proofreading at to blame.

Wripro,

Not sure that the young waiters at the door would force us back into the lounge but then again as I am sure you find the more crew you get to know over the years the harder it is just to slip away without being noticed. Maybe I'll dare Sailor Boy to make a break for it on our August trip on the Pride and see what happens.And we have never been on the big sisters so can't speak to the comfort of the lounge those ships.

Here's what Seabourn told us today:

Thank you for contacting Seabourn Cruise Line and for choosing to sail with us. In order to make sure the ship is absolutely perfect for guests that are preparing to board the ship, we do take every minute possible, so unfortunately we do not allow early boarding. Check in will be at 1:00pm and suites are usually available approximately 3pm. There is no lunch served on the day of embarkation, and the first meal available is dinner, so we do recommend that guests eat lunch before they board the ship.

If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Robert

Seabourn

800-929-9391

EMAIL:guestservices@seabourn.com

What is this....school? I can't imagine any SB staffer physically trying to stop a passenger from leaving the lounge.

No, of course not physically. But one did definitely feel that they did not want you to leave - although if I had needed the bathroom I would have insisted! - and, to be fair, we were called to go to our suite within about 5 to 10 minutes. Have you noticed, however, that on the boarding time thread an email from guest services says 'no meals until dinner, suggest you have lunch before arrival'. Now that really does sound ominous - do they mean no afternoon tea, no sandwiches and drinks on arrival? And how are you supposed to get lunch when you have had a tiny breakfast on a plane, been met by a Seabourn rep. and taken straight to the ship?:confused:

How do they feed those of us doing a B2B? Or is it bread & water for lunch on change-over day?

One of the restaurants is always open until 14.00 for those already onboard.

I get on early and go straight to lunch,Seabourn would wish those joining to get on at 14.00 and assemble in a lounge to do the formalities before taking possession of their suites.

I can then enjoy a quiet lunch without you lot joining me :D

I get on early and go straight to lunch,Seabourn would wish those joining to get on at 14.00 and assemble in a lounge to do the formalities before taking possession of their suites.

An alternative to being herded into an overcrowded lounge like sheep is to use the excellent facilities in Seabourn Square. There one can Max out without the ever attentive Seabourn hosts bothering you. There is a goodly selection of solid and liquid sustenance available though surprisingly no Guinness. Also plenty of books to while away the time before you go to your suite, including the complete works of John le Carre for those who may be interested. We have found that the ever smiling baristas give excellent service ( but sadly not at table ) and are so polite , even sharing a joke or two. An increasingly rare pleasure nowadays. Don't you agree Lord of the Seas and Writer100?

An alternative to being herded into an overcrowded lounge like sheep is to use the excellent facilities in Seabourn Square. There one can Max out without the ever attentive Seabourn hosts bothering you. There is a goodly selection of solid and liquid sustenance available though surprisingly no Guinness. Also plenty of books to while away the time before you go to your suite, including the complete works of John le Carre for those who may be interested. We have found that the ever smiling baristas give excellent service ( but sadly not at table ) and are so polite , even sharing a joke or two. An increasingly rare pleasure nowadays. Don't you agree Lord of the Seas and Writer100?

Nicely put M

Seabourn square is a good place to escape being spied on by tinkers,tailors and soldiers.

Here's what Seabourn told us today:

Thank you for contacting Seabourn Cruise Line and for choosing to sail with us. In order to make sure the ship is absolutely perfect for guests that are preparing to board the ship, we do take every minute possible, so unfortunately we do not allow early boarding. Check in will be at 1:00pm and suites are usually available approximately 3pm. There is no lunch served on the day of embarkation, and the first meal available is dinner, so we do recommend that guests eat lunch before they board the ship.

If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Robert

Seabourn

800-929-9391

EMAIL:guestservices@seabourn.com

SilverSweet - thanks for sharing the corporate response. My opinion is that the answer Seabourn provided is extremely lacking in the customer service department. An improvement is in order. The "sandwiches" in the waiting Lounge are a poor introduction to dining onboard. In fact, the only time I have had an unacceptable "meal" on Seabourn was the time I sat in the Lounge and hungrily gnawed at a "sandwich" made of hard bread and very ordinary cold cuts after a LONG flight. Seabourn is my line of choice, but that doesn't mean I see no room for improvements. If the megaliners can offer a proper buffet luncheon on embarkation day, why can't Seabourn?

In particular on the smaller ships any idea which? Last two trips on Odyssey we just went straight to Patio Grill which serves light lunch - burgers, pizza, salads etc - till 4.00pm.

Previous posters here say that MDR not open on embark days, although others suggest Room Service available. We join Pride in Copenhagen on 7 August and would welcome some clear advice as our flight gets in quite early. Do we just get some breakfast in town or do we need to think lunch too?

In particular on the smaller ships any idea which? Last two trips on Odyssey we just went straight to Patio Grill which serves light lunch - burgers, pizza, salads etc - till 4.00pm.

Previous posters here say that MDR not open on embark days, although others suggest Room Service available. We join Pride in Copenhagen on 7 August and would welcome some clear advice as our flight gets in quite early. Do we just get some breakfast in town or do we need to think lunch too?

I would think that the terrace at the back of the Pride would be open for lunch but do not discount the MDR being the lunch venue.I do mostly longer trips,never a week or two.One facility has to be open for those staying on from the last cruise and also the Captain and a few officers will be seen on turnaround day having lunch.There maybe some local TA's that are fed.

I would have an early breakfast,then get on at 12.30 and head for whichever facility is open.14.00 is the usual closing time.

Archived