Current taxi rate from San Pedro Pier 93 to LAX?

Does anyone have any recent (the last couple months) prices on the taxi fare from San Pedro to LAX? Last year, it was running $50 for 2 people & luggage, but I'm not sure if that price has changed. The independent shuttles are all pretty close to that price and I'd rather have a taxi to ourselves.

Thanks!

Does anyone have any recent (the last couple months) prices on the taxi fare from San Pedro to LAX? Last year, it was running $50 for 2 people & luggage, but I'm not sure if that price has changed. The independent shuttles are all pretty close to that price and I'd rather have a taxi to ourselves.

Thanks!

The reason we prefer the shuttles, is that the clock is ticking all the time and if you get stuck in that 405 fiasco, the monies add up very quickly.

$60 + tip. http://www.la-taxi.com/?id=aproxRates

A SuperShuttle van was only $17 pp in May. Taxi + freeway congestion could be $$$, so just be prepared. We hit heavy traffic on just a normal Sat morning.

Pia: The 405 closure area is north of LAX (San Pedro is south) so that won't affect this commute. :)

Pia: The 405 closure area is north of LAX (San Pedro is south) so that won't affect this commute. :)
The doomsayers were saying that the back-up would be so bad it would affect the 405 in Orange County. A friend flew into LAX late last night on a flight from LHR and she said they zoomed on the 405 coming home (she's in Newport Beach.) LAX was very, very crowded but the highways were clear. Actually, I don't think I've ever seen LAX, even at midnight, when it wasn't a mess.

A SuperShuttle van was only $17 pp in May. Taxi + freeway congestion could be $$$, so just be prepared. We hit heavy traffic on just a normal Sat morning.

You mean this weekend's closure? I wasn't referring to that. Just referring to the 405 in general.

Thanks!

I just scheduled a transfer with www.shuttle2LAX.com

It comes highly recommended by those that sail frequently out of San Pedro. The price is $20 for the first passenger, $11 for the second (one way fare), plus it includes two checked bags each and one carry on and one personal item each. We had also thought about a taxi instead, but with the traffic outside LAX, and on the way to San Pedro (last time we had a rental car and saw it with our own eyes :eek:), we thought a shuttle might be a much better idea. ;)

I'll check that out, Toto, thanks.

We've done SuperShuttle before and what drove me bananas was the fact that they don't tell you ahead of time that they may be making numerous stops BEFORE getting to LAX. We were delivering people home to Redondo Beach, Hawthorne, etc. Plus, the price was expensive compared to PrimeTime.

If taxi fares are up to $60 now, I think we'll give Toto's shuttle a try. I don't anticipate any traffic early on a Sunday morning, but would check CalTrans before deciding to go with a taxi. I know CalTrans doesn't usually like to pay their employees Sunday pay, so I think we'd be safe as far as traffic goes.

Thanks for the info.!

This is so weird!! I just booked using Toto's link and the price was $31.00 for 2 passengers. At the end, it says that PrimeTime Shuttle is the one we're assigned to for our booking. I think it's weird that it's not the company on the home page. Anyway, when I tried to book PrimeTime on my own earlier, the price was $45 & change.

Toto, you just saved me $14. Thanks! ;)

This is so weird!! I just booked using Toto's link and the price was $31.00 for 2 passengers. At the end, it says that PrimeTime Shuttle is the one we're assigned to for our booking. I think it's weird that it's not the company on the home page. Anyway, when I tried to book PrimeTime on my own earlier, the price was $45 & change.

My understanding is the shuttle company Toto's referring to actually sells you spots on one of the major shuttles (Prime Time/Super Shuttle) but does so at a lower cost because they're selling the unused seats on those companies shuttles. Not sure how they could when you're booking that far out, but we used Super Shuttle in April and it worked well, so I'm more than happy to get a similar service for a lower price! You do drive around a bit, but we weren't in a hurry and are planning to use shuttle2lax.com in December.

Bobbie,

Looks like that company is a third party booking agent much like a consolidator; seats are on major shuttle companies, they just fill in the empty seats. Even though their website shows a shuttle van painted with their logo, no such shuttle exists. :)

My understanding is the shuttle company Toto's referring to actually sells you spots on one of the major shuttles (Prime Time/Super Shuttle) but does so at a lower cost because they're selling the unused seats on those companies shuttles. Not sure how they could when you're booking that far out, but we used Super Shuttle in April and it worked well, so I'm more than happy to get a similar service for a lower price! You do drive around a bit, but we weren't in a hurry and are planning to use shuttle2lax.com in December.

Yes, you are correct. We were assigned to PrimeTime shuttle by shuttle2LAX. This will be the first time using this service, so we will see how it goes and report back afterwards. But those on our roll call said they have used it in the past, with absolutely no problem at all. :)

Yes, you are correct. We were assigned to PrimeTime shuttle by shuttle2LAX. This will be the first time using this service, so we will see how it goes and report back afterwards. But those on our roll call said they have used it in the past, with absolutely no problem at all. :)

Since your cruise is a couple of months before ours, I'll be watching to see what kind of experience you have!

Interesting. They advertise on TV here but at no time do they mention they are a "Booker". I'll have to pay closer attention the next time I'm actually watching live TV and not a saved program on my DVR. I've used both PrimeTime and SuperShuttle in the past and going from LAX to San Pedro was pretty equal. Stops at every terminal and around again to fill the van, then drop offs what seemed like every hotel/motel in San Pedro. The surprise I had several years ago was that even though I'd pre-booked SuperShuttle at a specific price from the pier to LAX, they charged me $5 more per person than from LAX to San Pedro. They claimed it was because they were picking me up at the pier. I paid but none of it made sense to me.

Pam, I have had that happen where we have been charged extra in the past also. Not at LAX or San Pedro (since we don't usually cruise out of CA). I was charged for my wheeled carry on. The driver told me that it was too big to carry on the plane, even though it was a regulation size carry on. I explained that I had used the same one as a carry on for 5 plus years, he made me pay him an extra $10 or we weren't allowed to board. Sometimes I wonder if there aren't a few drivers out there pocketing the extra they are charging passengers, figuring they won't report it.

We took Supershuttle last may from LAX to our hotel near San Pedro. The driver spent most of the time talking on his cell phone (illegal in California) speaking very loudly and seemingly having a heated argument in Arabic, I think. We did get to our destination but it was not a pleasant experience. I called Supershuttle and complained while were still enroute as did others in our van. I received a call back from Supershuttle with an apology. We got the impression from speaking with other riders that this was not their usual good experience with Supershuttle. We intend to give them another try.

We took Supershuttle last may from LAX to our hotel near San Pedro. The driver spent most of the time talking on his cell phone (illegal in California) speaking very loudly and seemingly having a heated argument in Arabic, I think. We did get to our destination but it was not a pleasant experience. I called Supershuttle and complained while were still enroute as did others in our van. I received a call back from Supershuttle with an apology. We got the impression from speaking with other riders that this was not their usual good experience with Supershuttle. We intend to give them another try.

That happened to us in Italy, but we paid handsomely for the privilege of listening to our private female driver talk on not one, but TWO, cell phones - one on each ear, screaming at her boss and some other person. :cool:

Pam, you're right. I've seen those ads on TV too for Shuttle2LAX and I certainly didn't hear them mention that they're a booking agent for the other shuttle companies. That's why I was surprised we ended up with PrimeTime. Works out okay for us because it saved us a little money. :)

Bobbie: Prime Time Shuttle is horrible. I will never, ever book with them again. Have found another shuttle company that I book with all the time in LA and will send your their information. I just can't say enough how bad Prime is except remember our fiasco in Galveston? This reminds me of them. Just below par service. Will write you tomorrow with the other company's information.

Bobbie: Prime Time Shuttle is horrible. I will never, ever book with them again. Have found another shuttle company that I book with all the time in LA and will send your their information. I just can't say enough how bad Prime is except remember our fiasco in Galveston? This reminds me of them. Just below par service. Will write you tomorrow with the other company's information.

We had a horrible experience with Prime Time too. We had booked a private van to take us from our house to the port in December and the reverse for when we got off the ship two weeks later in January. On the day of our cruise, the van was to be at our house at 10am. We got a recorded message just before that, that our van will be arriving at that time. A few minutes after 10, my hubby suggested I call PT and make sure the driver knew how to get to our house (when I had booked the shuttle, I told the order taker to please take down the exact directions to our house as GPS always takes people to the wrong location -- about a half mile away).

I was told the driver was waiting for us -- at the harbor! I said, no, he is supposed to come to our house. I said I was even looking at the email confirmation that had the right info. She went to speak to her supervisor, supposedly and then came back on the line and asked when did our cruise leave. I said, no, we want and expect to be picked up right away (I wasn't about to let them futz around for a few hours when we wanted to be on the ship as soon as possible). She said they didn't have a van around our area. I said, no, we didn't make a mistake, they did. Finally, she said a van will be coming around 11am. That driver drove like crazy to get us there (I thought he was going to drive over cars on the 405 and Harbor fwy). He told us that some routes were changed so he can pick us up.

On the day we were disembarking, I got another recorded message that our driver was on his way. (not "at the port," just "will be picking us up in 20 minutes"). We figured that after the first mistake, surely the company will make sure to get the info to the dispatcher correctly.

Nope. We got to the curb where the shuttle pick up was. I presented my email confirmation to the rep. He didn't see our name on his list. Yep, the driver was sent to our house! And we weren't the only ones who had their reservation screwed up!

When the rep finally found a van for us, he called in to his office. The person on the other end of the conversation started to argue with him that we were supposed to be at our house. (I was standing next to him and heard that) He said, no, we were there at the port.

We ended up waiting an hour for our ride home. Fortunately we were just going home, but still...

BTW, the driver was using his phone. So it's not just Supershuttle.

I tried calling customer service when I got home, but got voice mail. Never got a response. Sent an email, but didn't get a response from that until I sent another one, threatening "further action." Got a quarter of our fare refunded, but in light of them messing up on BOTH ends, I thought this was poor customer service (and mind you, I usually don't try to get refunds for mediocre service, but I thought TWO mistakes on the same booking was unforgiven).

Next time, I'm going to spend more time getting quotes. But PT is definitely not going our future business.

Well shoot. I don't know if I can cancel the reservation now. All they have to do is take us from the port to LAX. It can't be that hard. But, it sounds like they'll find a way to screw it up. I'll have to see if I can cancel with them.

Thanks for the info. - good AND bad! ;)

We have used Prime Time Shuttle before, although not recently. We never had any of the problems described here ...?

Yes, Shuttle2LAX is selling empty seats ... like Priceline. It is right on the front page of their website under the heading "How We Do It"

When we were researching transportation for a Fall cruise, I found this really good article. I like it because it lays out all of the options and their costs and doesn't seem to be biased in anyway. It is also recent and the prices I checked were up to date.

From LAX to Cruise Ship Ports: How To Get There

Edited by Zach Black
Bad link

Thank you for the article. We're going to have to go with PrimeTime (thru Shuttle2LAX). There's just no other easier way to do it and not pay a fortune.

We'll be prepared for all possible PrimeTime problems and will use them for this one short, one-way trip expecting them to be unprofessional, not show up on time or not show up at all, drive like maniacs and pack the van in like sardines. :o We'll just have to be flexible and patient - two things that I am not the best at, but I will look at this as a test! ;)

Thanks for the help everyone.

Mario: Sounds like that is all you can do at this point in time. At least you are prepared for what could happen. Hopefully all will be well and good. Luckily for you, shuttles aren't something you have to deal with too often there, which is good. Prime Time was just so frustrating to us. I didn't get what I paid for with them, and there was just a shrug from the driver. He didn't care. So frustrating. My advice is, don't ever book with this outfit again. I also avoid Supper Shuttle also. They will drive around the airport several times just to load their van.

Yeah, I know you're right, HulaGirl. You know how we like to travel and trying to work with morons is not my cup of tea. We'll just have to grin and bare it this time. Next time, we'll use a car/limo service.

Thanks everyone for your posts about your experiences. :)