Golden Tracy Arm any Glaciers?

califgary

We have been on cruises that have gone into Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay - we are looking at a 2012 Alaska on Golden out of Seattle. The closest reference to anyting "glacier like" is Tracy Arm cruising - is this a chance to view glaciers or does this itinerary just not do any glacier viewing? Any info appreciated!

We have been on cruises that have gone into Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay - we are looking at a 2012 Alaska on Golden out of Seattle. The closest reference to anyting "glacier like" is Tracy Arm cruising - is this a chance to view glaciers or does this itinerary just not do any glacier viewing? Any info appreciated!

Having just returned from cruise up Tracy Arm, I would rate it third after Glacier Bay and the Hubbard. Same gorgeous scenery getting to the glacier but I didn't think it compared to the other two. If you've seen the others give it a try, but personally I was somewhat disappointed. For a 1st cruise to Alaska, I'd definitely recommend Glacier Bay or the Hubbard.

I agree with Bridgemates. Our first cruise to Alaska we did Tracy Arm. We couldn't get far into it because of the ice and the Capt. didn't want to risk something happening to the ship. Last Sept. we did Alaska again this time to Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. It was awesome!! I'm so happy that we did that itinerary because if all we did was Tracy Arm we would have never experienced the beauty of the Glaciers. I would highly recommend Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glaciers. You won't regret it.

Carol

We have been to Hubbard Glacier, Glacier Bay, Tracy Arm and Endicott Arm. I agree with both of the last 2 comments. Hubbard Glacier was fantastic and Glacier Bay was a very close 2nd. Both of the "Arms" have nice scenery going in and out, but the glaciers are fairly small. Hubbard was by far our favorite.:)

It is hit or miss with Tracy Arm. The first time, didn't get all that close. Could see it but it was a ways off. The second time got within a mile. It was fantastic. For me, any glacier is good.

I have been to Tracy Arm 2x and have yet to see the glacier at the end. One time was with a small boat and the other time was on a ship.

There is a good chance you will not see any glacier that day and if you do, it is very possible you will not be very close. And the glacier at the end is nothing compared to GB and Hubbard glacier.

If you want to cruise Alaska there is a lot going for it. Tracy Arm has some nice pretty scenery including sheer walls and ice flows.

But if you want guranteed viewing of glacier close up, the iconic views from a cruise ship this should as others say as others your 3rd priority. If you are lucky you can see the glacier if you are not, you will be miles away...

564679260_270TracyArmSawyerGlacierfromtheship.jpg.0b53c9bfc4177266058a3c9fea4291b7.jpg

I was quite disappointed when our ship went down the Tracy Arm fjord. It had beautiful scenery and it was a gorgeous sunny and warm day, but we stopped very far away from the actual glacier. I could only see a small amount of it with binoculars. I had imagined we would get close to it and get a chance to see it calve. (That's the type of advertisements you see for Alaska cruising). :(

We've been to Tracy Arm twice - 2 years ago on the Star and last year on the Golden. The first time, we didn't get very far, and only saw distant glimpses of the glaciers. Last year we got lucky and got very close to the glacier and even saw some calving. It was fantastic!

This year, we will finally make it to Glacier Bay and hope that it's as wonderful as everyone here says that it is!

Sawyer Glacier is at the innermost point in Tracy Arm Fjord. I was on the Sapphire in June and we were able to get very close, with great views of the glacier.

The scenic cruising in Tracy Arm is delightful. I have done it twice, and both times have spent the entire 4 hours of scenic cruising out on deck enjoying the vistas. Many waterfalls! Amazing mountains. Lots of smaller glaciers, IF you are looking for them up in the mountains. (Keep a watch for blue ice!!)

Archived