Joining a cruise that has already sailed

We are sailing on an 11 day cruise over Thanksgiving out of Bayonne on Explorer of the Seas. Does anybody know if it is possible for a passenger to join us in the first fly to port of San Juan and stay onboard for 4 days and then fly home at the last port of call. There is room in one of our cabins, so we don't need a cabin. Thanks so much in advance for all responses!

I doubt you can board in SanJuan and only stay aboard for 4 days. I think I have read on here that there can be fines invoked. Also, it is then no longer a closed loop cruise and a passport would be required. However, since passengers can catch up if they miss the ship at embarkation, it might be possible.

Just because there is an extra berth in your cabin does not mean someone can automatically stay in that cabin. If the ship has reached their max on 3 to a room, ie. not enough life boat positions, they will not allow you to book in your cabin.

If someone misses the ship at the embarkation port or doesnt have the right documentation, they're allowed to try to catch up to the ship with what they have in one of its ports of call, so it's possible. BUT, I dont know if it will be allowed to just anyone. This is for specific cases in which a person, like I said, missed the ship or something of that matter. But then again, it hasnt happened to me, and Im not RCI so I would just call right away to Royal Caribbean and ask them. I would also call back a few times on different days so you get different people, to make sure the answer is conclusive when it comes to something as important as this. Some people might tell you different things, depending on experience. Or I would just ask for their supervisor right away. That would make things easier. Anywasy, good luck! Hope the answer is YES! :)

The person would have to pay for the whole cruise, they can't just share your room, there are rules and regulations and they need to be booked for the cruise the entire cruise. It is not like a hotel that someone could just share your room without the front desk being any wiser. They have to get checked in, several security checkpoints before they are allowed on board. The person would definitely need a passport.

If the ship has reached their max on 3 to a room, ie. not enough life boat positions, they will not allow you to book in your cabin.

If the cabin has room for more people, they're allowed to sail. There isnt only 3 people to a cabin. There's cabins, even inside cabins, that allow up to 4 and even 6 people. Then there's suites that accomodate at least 12 people. The ship is designed so the lifeboats are sufficient when the ship is at full capacity, and probably even more.

If the cabin has room for more people, they're allowed to sail. There isnt only 3 people to a cabin. There's cabins, even inside cabins, that allow up to 4 and even 6 people. Then there's suites that accomodate at least 12 people. The ship is designed so the lifeboats are sufficient when the ship is at full capacity, and probably even more.

This information isn't entirely correct. While yes, there are enough lifeboats to accommodate everyone onboard (and then some), there is a pre determined number of guests allowed per Coast Guard regulations and once that figure is reached you will not be allowed to book a 3rd, 4th or more person even though your particular cabin may hold that number of occupants. This has happened on more than one occassion where someone was trying to book a triple/quad and was denied due to "lifeboat capacity". During peak holiday times, it's best to book triple/quad + as far in advance as possible to avoid disappointment.

The person would have to pay for the whole cruise, they can't just share your room, there are rules and regulations and they need to be booked for the cruise the entire cruise. It is not like a hotel that someone could just share your room without the front desk being any wiser. They have to get checked in, several security checkpoints before they are allowed on board. The person would definitely need a passport.

In addition to paying for the entire cruise and being booked into the cabin in advance, you will need to obtain special permission from RCCL for the early disembarkation mid cruise.

In addition to paying for the entire cruise and being booked into the cabin in advance, you will need to obtain special permission from RCCL for the early disembarkation mid cruise.

Very true, it is called a partial cruise and there is a form on the RCCL site for this purpose.

The cabin we have available is a balcony cabin with a single passenger, so the passenger joining would only be the second passenger. Thanks!

Even as a single room if the ship has reached capacity they will NOT let you add the additional person.

Call Royal (or have your travel agent call if you used one) and ask. you will almost certainly be told you need to get permission through ground flight operations. He may need to be added to the booking before GFO will act on the request. There is a list of info to fax or email to GFO; they either approve or deny.

We are sailing on an 11 day cruise over Thanksgiving out of Bayonne on Explorer of the Seas. Does anybody know if it is possible for a passenger to join us in the first fly to port of San Juan and stay onboard for 4 days and then fly home at the last port of call. There is room in one of our cabins, so we don't need a cabin. Thanks so much in advance for all responses!

Since the two ports are San Juan, Puerto Rico and St. Kitts, there is no issue with the Passenger Service Act, because Royal Caribbean would not be transporting your passenger between two U.S. ports. Sue has given you the link to the form that you must submit to Royal Caribbean.

But the passenger would have to pay full fare. Now, you seem to be saying that you have one single passenger in a balcony cabin now, and the chances are that he is paying the full 200% rate, so it would probably be only a few dollars more to change that to a double occupancy booking with your phantom friend/relative flying in and out for just four days.

Personally, I can't imagine the airfare NOT being astronomical. And the whole scenario is pretty "off".

But you should be "able" to do it.

How would the person get their S&S card if they were not at the debarkation port?
Guest Relations makes S&S cards all the time [that's what happens if you lose yours]. Not sure if that's how it will be handled [may be a number of additional ways], but if Security is expecting the person [by pre-arrangement with Miami], doesn't sound like a big deal for Security to walk him to Guest Relations, or have the card waiting at the entrance.

Thom

Even as a single room if the ship has reached capacity they will NOT let you add the additional person.

But they'd be adding the person to the reservation now and, as you said, paying the full fare for him/her. Assuming they get the required permission, then that spot will be reserved and guaranteed.:)

I just spoke to Guest Flight Operations and they checked the ports and they said it would be fine, we just have to send them an email with the dates, ports and reservation and stateroom numbers. THis is for my daughter and she would have to already be booked in the cabin before sending the request. The representative told me this happens quite frequently and that the entertainers do this all the time. We will get a confirmation letter with the authorization and my daughter will then meet with security at the ship and show them the documentation and will then board and go to guest relations for a sea pass card. Also same with disembarking. Thanks for everyone's help it looks like my daughter will be able to join us for Thanksgiving dinner!!! :D

I just spoke to Guest Flight Operations and they checked the ports and they said it would be fine, we just have to send them an email with the dates, ports and reservation and stateroom numbers. THis is for my daughter and she would have to already be booked in the cabin before sending the request. The representative told me this happens quite frequently and that the entertainers do this all the time. We will get a confirmation letter with the authorization and my daughter will then meet with security at the ship and show them the documentation and will then board and go to guest relations for a sea pass card. Also same with disembarking. Thanks for everyone's help it looks like my daughter will be able to join us for Thanksgiving dinner!!! :D

Glad that it is all going to work out for you!!!

Wow, second post in a row that I disagree with you. What you are saying is wrong!!! I know for a fact that just because there is room for 4 or 3 or 2 in a cabin doesn't mean that the a person can be added if the occupants booked are lesser than the number allowed.

My father booked cruises as a single as he was widowed. He paid twice the price of the cruise but not twice the port taxes and fees. He always booked a balcony cabin that was a cabin for 2. One time he decided to add a friend as he was already paying for 2 but was denied doing so because the ship had reached the number of people they were allowed. These people came from cabins where 3 or 4 people were booked.

So, even though he paid for 2, he couldn't add a second person. So, just because there are beds for 3 or 4, or even two, it doesn't mean that people can be added.

Wow, second post in a row that I disagree with you. What you are saying is wrong!!! I know for a fact that just because there is room for 4 or 3 or 2 in a cabin doesn't mean that the a person can be added if the occupants booked are lesser than the number allowed.

My father booked cruises as a single as he was widowed. He paid twice the price of the cruise but not twice the port taxes and fees. He always booked a balcony cabin that was a cabin for 2. One time he decided to add a friend as he was already paying for 2 but was denied doing so because the ship had reached the number of people they were allowed. These people came from cabins where 3 or 4 people were booked.

So, even though he paid for 2, he couldn't add a second person. So, just because there are beds for 3 or 4, or even two, it doesn't mean that people can be added.

Another thought that you haven't mentioned is the so-called Jones Act. To add someone on a cruise in another port is not always possible. Perhaps you need to look that up.

Katiel53, this has all been covered in other posts on this thread.....................

Katiel53, this has all been covered in other posts on this thread.....................

I did see that this was mentioned; however, I wanted to give a personal example. Sorry it bothered you.:confused:

Hi Katiel,

I thank you for the post based on your personal experience.

From what I know, I agree with you and appreciate your 'hands on' experience.

I also agree with Loyal2RCCL they are Coast Guard regulations that dictate how many can be in cabins in each particular section regardless of the numer of beds available.

Does any one remeber the 'Fire Drill' on every cruise ? Remember they check your name ?

There is only so many "assigned" to each life boat and if that one extra person was one too many for that life boat - the Coast Guard would not allow it ...... even that there was room in another life boat, or perhaps even in the boat assigned to that station. Some of the rules might not make sense to us but they are there for our protection.

In this particular case if the extra person was assigned to this particular cabin and just joined later on ( if permitted by the cruise line) the 'life boat' issue would have been taken care off.

Wes

Archived