Vision of the Seas Flag Parade---Seriously RCCL?

Just back from back to backs on Vision. Always enjoy the flag parade but this time I was cringing! First week the US rep carrying the flag was dragging the flag on the floor--didn't think I was a super patriot or anything but it bothered me. However the cringe worthy part was that after announcing the country represented, they played a song and danced a bit. That was good and fun but what song did they play for the USA---"Born in the USA". I love Bruce and it is a rocking song, but I wanted to crawl under a rock. There we were with the onboard United Nations and they are singing these words for the USA

"Born down in a dead man town

The first kick I took was when I hit the ground

You end up like a dog that's been beat too much

Till you spend half your life just covering up

Born in the u.s.a., I was born in the u.s.a.

I was born in the u.s.a., born in the u.s.a.

Got in a little hometown jam

So they put a rifle in my hand

Sent me off to a foreign land

To go and kill the yellow man.

Guessing no one at Vision ever actually listened to the words. The music died down right after the "kill the yellow man" verse! Please RCCL, if you use this song, use another verse!

How often does someone pick music based on the song title or the artist without ever having an idea what the lyrics are! There was a famous one several years ago when the Hillary Clinton campaign when she was running for Senator from NY played Billy Joel's Captain Jack at a campaign stop! That got a lot of press...and it wasn't positive to say the least!

Just back from back to backs on Vision. Always enjoy the flag parade but this time I was cringing! First week the US rep carrying the flag was dragging the flag on the floor--didn't think I was a super patriot or anything but it bothered me. However the cringe worthy part was that after announcing the country represented, they played a song and danced a bit. That was good and fun but what song did they play for the USA---"Born in the USA". I love Bruce and it is a rocking song, but I wanted to crawl under a rock. There we were with the onboard United Nations and they are singing these words for the USA

Guessing no one at Vision ever actually listened to the words. The music died down right after the "kill the yellow man" verse! Please RCCL, if you use this song, use another verse!

I would have been very sensitive to that situation. I plan to be on the Jewel TA that leaves Hawich on Sept 3. We will be at sea on 9/11/2011 which of course will be the 10th anniversary of WTC attacks. As a past EMS Medic from NY State I will be on edge for any kind of disrespect to the US. I would not normally say anything but that situation would have made me very upset and I hope I never see anything like that on any cruise especially the one I will take in Sept.

Mike

Same format on the Grandeur, worry not for the UK we had Rock DJ, Robbie Williams :eek:

Not judging, just an observation, but is anyone more associated with "family" than Disney? The song in Rockin Roller Coaster is "Walk This Way," a song about a high school boy losing his virginity. :D

^^Steven Tyler also throws the shocker during the pre-ride intro. Yet if you do it on the ride they won't show the picture at the end (I know from experience). Hypocrisy I say! ;)

Back on topic, I agree that the song choice is weird. Born in the USA is not really a patriotic song, yet no one seems to realize it. Heck, Reagan played it during one of his campaigns and The Boss told him to stop using it. Something only The Boss could do! :D

Stars and Stripes Forever has always been a patriotic favorite of mine.

Wow! That's definitely cringe worthy. On our NCL Dawn cruise out of New York last Oct. they played Proud To Be An American and God Bless America as we sailed past the statue of liberty. Either would certainly be a more appropriate choice.

I am not so sensitive on this subject but I have to fully agree, on Liberty at set sail, the way the girls where handling and waving the flag was just a joke...So indeed if you where a American and proud of your flag you would have protested at that point.

The flag thing would have made me cringe too. As for the song choice, I will be a minority of one, and say I LOVE IT. I think the only thing people hear is Born in the USA and I'm proud to say I was.

Never realized the words in that song but it would not be something I would complain about. As to God Bless America, you will have someone saying that this song is not appropriate because of the word "God" is in the sentence. Maybe the Beatle song "Let it Be" should be played.

I would suggest to the powers that be on Vision to use Neil Diamond's "America" (Coming to America) song.

Wow! That's definitely cringe worthy. On our NCL Dawn cruise out of New York last Oct. they played Proud To Be An American and God Bless America as we sailed past the statue of liberty. Either would certainly be a more appropriate choice.

Any of those songs would have been good choices. "Born in the USA" would have annoyed me. I don't like the song; I don't much care for the singer; and the bit about "killing the yellow man" is hardly a favorable representation of Americans. Not to mention, I would think that the Asian passengers and crewpersons wouldn't enjoy hearing it.

Our national anthem talks about crushing "rebellious Scots". Needless to say that verse is rarely played. ;)

My state song ("Maryland, My Maryland") talks about "Northern scum" and "the Despot's heel is on thy shore." I've always thought we could do better, official-song-wise. But then again, I would prefer "America the Beautiful" or "God Bless America" to be our national anthem, too.

Chica,

Sorry to hear about the disrespect to the US flag. Hopefully RCCL will fix the mistakes!

We are scheduled on back-to-backs on the Vision out of Stockholm next month. Did you post a review of your trip? I'd love to hear how it was.

Thanks.

Chica,

Sorry to hear about the disrespect to the US flag. Hopefully RCCL will fix the mistakes!

We are scheduled on back-to-backs on the Vision out of Stockholm next month. Did you post a review of your trip? I'd love to hear how it was.

Thanks.

I'd love to hear as well, as i'm on the Vision in 3 weeks.

Archived