Just Back From Ryndam - Good & Bad

marc62

* As you do not sign for drinks the first you are aware if there are any issues is when they issue the bill at approx 7:00am on the day of departure. We did ask for a copy the day before when we found we had been charged $20 for drinks we had not ordered.
:confused: I don't think we've ever gotten any drinks on any HAL ship (including the Ryndam) where we did not have to sign the charge slip, or at least been given a receipt such as on HMC.

You should make it a habit to get a preliminary bill every 2 or 3 days and take care of discrepancies before the end rush.

"Maybe next time only the good things should be spoken about as an opinion against HAL is not heard very well in certain quarters.

Not sure what you mean here, and that comment may be uncalled for ..."

I'm booked in September for my first HAL cruise, so I can't say anything about the line, but there's something I can say about this board: it's were criticism are worse received from all the ones I've been too.

I can fully understand being a fan from (for?) a cruise line, I am from (for?) Cunard, and sincerely hope become being from (for?) HAL, I'll forever reserve the right to point failueres

Btw, I totally agree on ""the staff have to eat somewhere", but doesn't the same apply to restaurants?

"Maybe next time only the good things should be spoken about as an opinion against HAL is not heard very well in certain quarters.

Not sure what you mean here, and that comment may be uncalled for ..."

I'm booked in September for my first HAL cruise, so I can't say anything about the line, but there's something I can say about this board: it's were criticism are worse received from all the ones I've been too.

I can fully understand being a fan from (for?) a cruise line, I am from (for?) Cunard, and sincerely hope become being from (for?) HAL, I'll forever reserve the right to point failueres

Btw, I totally agree on ""the staff have to eat somewhere", but doesn't the same apply to restaurants?

Absolutely. However, officers are not "staff", and the employees of the spa, gym, etc. are not HAL "staff." I believe that they are employees of the particular entity providing those services.

Absolutely. However, officers are not "staff", and the employees of the spa, gym, etc. are not HAL "staff." I believe that they are employees of the particular entity providing those services.

this may be controversial, but what's your opinion on this board being the one were criticism are worse received?

Marc

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post.

Would agree that the things you commented on would be annoying for me also.

I'm doing the same cruise on Sunday so thanks for the feedback.

Napoleon Bonaparte once said that " an army moves on its stomach." Perhaps this quote could be applied to the nutritive requirements of HAL staff.

It is in your best interests to have a contented and comfortable group of HAL employees, who in turn, will be providing you with the best service available aboard any cruise line on which I have sailed.

Napoleon Bonaparte once said that " an army moves on its stomach." Perhaps this quote could be applied to the nutritive requirements of HAL staff.

It is in your best interests to have a contented and comfortable group of HAL employees, who in turn, will be providing you with the best service available aboard any cruise line on which I have sailed.

How does that work if you can't find a seat in the lido or theatre??

Anyway I will make my own judgement next week :)

Sorry if it was mentioned but I read back through and didn't spot it: what kind of cabin were you in and can you comment on your impression of it.

Hello Tcook052

We were in BB212 which was port side right towards the stern, the room was very nice, well kept and a good size (our previous two cruises we had a junior suite on RCCL). Nice sized balcony with two chairs, small table and a lounger!

The wardrobes were a bit small and starting to show age, I had to re-hang one of the doors as the hinge fell off! Plenty of hangers tho. The sheets and covers were not as nice as RCCL and the air con just would not keep quiet!

The bathroom was ok but I would call it a large sided shower tray as opposed to a bath!

Not much noice from the deck above.

Hope that helps

Marc

BUT, has it to be during peak hours?

BUT, has it to be during peak hours?

On our recent 2 week Maasdam cruise in May, the HAL personnel did have the exclusive use of one side of the Lido, including the Canaletto area at lunch-time.

In spite of this, there were always available places to eat in the remainder of the dining area, and it never seemed abnormally over-crowded.

And there were no reports of mutiny among the passengers as a result of impending starvation.

lol

marc62,

Sorry if you took it other than I meant, but I wasn't trying to be funny with that remark -- I really did hope you had a great time on your next cruise, whatever line you choose. You had some problems with this one, and I sympathize. Some of the problems you had were new to me, so I asked about them, but I really do understand your concerns.

You wrote that overall you had a good time, despite the problems you encountered. I was just wishing you a problem-free cruise next time. I've only had one problem-free cruise, Noordam III early on, but that may be selective memory of a cruise that far exceeded expectations; almost without doubt I encountered glitches, but what I remember 15+ years later are the good things, and I can't recall problems. That's the magic of cruising -- a bad day at sea beats a great day in the office any time.

Seriously, I do hope you enjoy cruising in the future, whether it's on HAL, X, RCCL, Carnival, Costa or whatever you prefer. Happy cruisers make for profits for cruise lines ... who will then continue to pamper me when I want to cruise. :D

Dave

[quote name='Math Guy'][B]On our recent 2 week Maasdam cruise in May, the HAL personnel did have the exclusive use of one side of the Lido, including the Canaletto area at lunch-time.[/B]

[B]In spite of this, there were always available places to eat in the remainder of the dining area, and it never seemed abnormally over-crowded.[/B]

[B]And there were no reports of mutiny among the passengers as a result of impending starvation.[/B][/quote]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Port day's were not a problem at all, but on embarkation and on the sea day's when most people/customers required lunch at around lunch time (strange that), it is annoying to find yourself searching for a table as employees or representatives of HAL are using the same facilities as the paying customers. Maybe it is that Ryndam is a smaller ship that does not have a staff canteen (never saw any stewards, bar staff or general staff tho?). Maybe I feel that when I pay £2,800 ($4,800) for a cruise for two that I should not have to wait for a table or return later when I see tables taken by staff. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Maybe in future I should not make comments that criticize some areas of the service which a self imposed five star cruise line whose own strap line is "Signature of Excellence" as it seems to offend some people.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]It was a great cruise, the taps worked really well, the carpet was clean, the ice was nice and cold, the light switch worked ;)[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Happy cruising one and all[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Marc [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='RetiredMustang']marc62,

Sorry if you took it other than I meant, but I wasn't trying to be funny with that remark -- I really did hope you had a great time on your next cruise, whatever line you choose. You had some problems with this one, and I sympathize. Some of the problems you had were new to me, so I asked about them, but I really do understand your concerns.

You wrote that overall you had a good time, despite the problems you encountered. I was just wishing you a problem-free cruise next time. I've only had one problem-free cruise, Noordam III early on, but that may be selective memory of a cruise that far exceeded expectations; almost without doubt I encountered glitches, but what I remember 15+ years later are the good things, and I can't recall problems. That's the magic of cruising -- a bad day at sea beats a great day in the office any time.

Seriously, I do hope you enjoy cruising in the future, whether it's on HAL, X, RCCL, Carnival, Costa or whatever you prefer. Happy cruisers make for profits for cruise lines ... who will then continue to pamper me when I want to cruise. :D

Dave[/quote]

No offence taken at all Dave, in fact I really enjoy the banter!

Marc

[quote name='marc62']Port day's were not a problem at all, but on embarkation and on the sea day's when most people/customers required lunch at around lunch time (strange that), it is annoying to find yourself searching for a table as employees or representatives of HAL are using the same facilities as the paying customers. Maybe it is that Ryndam is a smaller ship that does not have a staff canteen (never saw any stewards, bar staff or general staff tho?). Maybe I feel that when I pay £2,800 ($4,800) for a cruise for two that I should not have to wait for a table or return later when I see tables taken by staff.[/QUOTE]

Actually, there is a crew mess for the crew -- room stewards, dining room stewards, bar staff, engineering department, laundry department, etc. That is for crew and it generally serves food that are from the traditional diets of the Philippines and Indonesia. Shop employees, entertainment department, medical staff, etc. are officers and staff, and as such are not allowed to use the crew mess for meals (kind of like enlisted and officers clubs on military bases). In all honesty, they do not have any other place to eat. If you feel they are taking the only available tables, ask them if you can sit at the other end, or if they are almost finished. They should not knowingly take a table from "paying customers." Some staff is actually encouraged to sit with "paying customers" in the Lido.

Not sure were you are coming from Ellieanne? I think it is paying customers and HAL staff are equal to an available table when it comes to eating in the LIDO on a sea day when there is limited seating available?
If HAL have not planned for adequete staff facilities why should the paying customer suffer?

Marc62...sometimes you just can't win on this board. People will defend HAL like they gave birth to it or are married to it. I go to the gym a lot and at times I see dancers using the gym equipment and I can't use it. It's frustrating. I paid my fare...they did not. In my mind that not quite right but I'm sure some posters will feel the need to defend it.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]If having staff eat in the same Lido as passengers bothers you so much, marc, then HAL is not the cruiseline for you. That is their dining hall, and that is where they eat, at normal eating times, on every HAL ship.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Shared a dinner table in the MDR with the Ships Dr. who reported that the best food on board was in the crew dining room. I have waited in line behind the beuticians and engineers in the Lido, but always found a table,

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]If having staff eat in the same Lido as passengers bothers you so much, marc, then HAL is not the cruiseline for you. That is their dining hall, and that is where they eat, at normal eating times, on every HAL ship.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

lol...............
I think you are right with your comments Lorekauf!
I thought only horses were that blinkered:D

Happy cruising
PS - If an honest opinion bothers you that much, then Cruise Critic is not the cruise forum for you;)

[quote name='marc62']Happy cruising
PS - If an honest opinion bothers you that much, then Cruise Critic is not the cruise forum for you;)[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]:confused: I am not at all bothered by your opinion. You have every right to it. However, when it comes to where and when the staff eats, it is what it is. You have mentioned that you don't like the HAL procedure. You have two choices---accept it when you sail HAL, or cruise elsewhere. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]:confused: I am not at all bothered by your opinion. You have every right to it. However, when it comes to where and when the staff eats, it is what it is. You have mentioned that you don't like the HAL procedure. You have two choices---accept it when you sail HAL, or cruise elsewhere. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]
DITTO Ruth
Keep those blinkers on:D xx

Archived