Dining in MDR on Formal Nights - A soultion?

OK Rancher

I truly do not intend to tick anyone off, but to me, it seems that there are definitely two schools of thought when it comes to formal night and its attire. There are those who love to dress up, finding that it makes the cruise complete, and allows a couple to dress up a couple of times for an elegant evening out. There are also those folks, often times younger, who really do no find "dressing up" advantageous.

How would you feel about either having one dinner time (early for example) be for those who want to dress elegantly, and the late time dining to be for those who do not care to dress up? Or, what if guests who dressed up were seated on the main level of the dining room, and those who wanted to wear less fancy clothing were seated upstairs.

What kind of constructive comments do you have?

Exactly how would that work . On two days a week you would have to have open seating in the dining room so all the seat assignments would be gone since half your table may dress casually . Plus who would make the decision about which one you dine in . Lot's of people get dressed on elegant night just not true formal style . Would they be in the upstairs or downstairs dining room ?

This thread will not solve all of the nuances of doing something like this, but quite possibly, at the time of booking, you might be asked if you intended to dress formally, and then all those intending to "dress" for formal nights would be seated together, eliminating half a table doing one thing and half the table the other.

And, I would imagine that you would have to let the passengers indicate whether they have dressed up or are dressed casual.

I have no idea how it would work. It would create so much confusion trying to sort out 1500 plus pax twice that evening to the separate dining rooms. What about people who think they are dressed formally, but others might deem them casual? You may end up with 1300 ppl dressed formal and only 200 in casual clothing.

A better idea is to eat in another venue that evening if you don't care to dress up. The buffet, specialty restaurant or room service works fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I love that idea!! I wouldn't think it would be difficult to sort out the pax... instead of choosing ATD or traditional dining, you could choose formal or casual ATD OR formal or casual traditional dining when you book the cruise. Instead of the current two sections to the MDR (one ATD, one traditional), divide the MDR into 4 sections. And, the attire would have to be defined and policed. If you don't dress appropriately for your section, you eat at the buffet that night.

I too love the idea. Nothing like sitting next to a table in T-Shirts, and they have no problem with it. I blame the cruise line. There is only two times that I have cruised where the cruise line actually turned people away at the main door at the MDR. And when we left for the evening I told the hostess (two thumbs up)

And, the attire would have to be defined and policed. If you don't dress appropriately for your section, you eat at the buffet that night.

And write 1,000 times a sundress is not formal wear or pants & a dress shirt are inappropriate without a tie !:)

I think it's definitely a thought. I think it's clear that something has to be sacrificed since everyone no longer wants to dress up. To have a dining time for formally dressed cruisers and casually dressed cruisers, the lines would have to go to a "freestyle cruise" where guests weren't assigned to a specific table with tablemates. On ships with multiple dining rooms, one dining room could be designated for formally dressed people, and the other could be designated for casually dressed cruisers. Then on ships with one big dining room, one time slot could be dedicated to formal and the other time slot to casual. Of course, that's really only necessary on formal nights.

Or, the cruiselines could have cruisers indicate whether they wanted traditional dress with designated formal nights, or casual dress every night. That, of course, would probably confuse people. But the way listed above would probably confuse people, as well. Heck - people are confused, right now! :D

Every time there is a change a group of people are confused.... I suspect it is those that don't really pay attention to information they are given, be it verbal or written. ;)

I do think it is time for a change though. I don't like dressing for dinner because it truly doesn't add anything to the experience for me. But, I realize that for some people that is an important part of their cruise so there has to be a good compromise somewhere.

I thought Carnival did away with formal nights a year or two ago? Weren't they replaced with elegant evenings where the attire included traditional church clothes, and more formal if the cruisers desired for themselves. Did they change back to formal and I missed that?

Personally, I think a MDR or restaurant with real table linens does call for a minimum dress code. Not necessarily formal, but more than shorts, tank tops (men), and ballcaps.

I thought Carnival did away with formal nights a year or two ago? Weren't they replaced with elegant evenings where the attire included traditional church clothes, and more formal if the cruisers desired for themselves. Did they change back to formal and I missed that?

Yes, they did, but the OP didn't specify a cruiseline. There seems to be a dress code debate on every cruiseline forum I frequent, so I think this is becoming a problem for all mass-market cruiselines.

I think it's definitely a thought. I think it's clear that something has to be sacrificed since everyone no longer wants to dress up. To have a dining time for formally dressed cruisers and casually dressed cruisers, the lines would have to go to a "freestyle cruise" where guests weren't assigned to a specific table with tablemates. On ships with multiple dining rooms, one dining room could be designated for formally dressed people, and the other could be designated for casually dressed cruisers. Then on ships with one big dining room, one time slot could be dedicated to formal and the other time slot to casual. Of course, that's really only necessary on formal nights.

Or, the cruiselines could have cruisers indicate whether they wanted traditional dress with designated formal nights, or casual dress every night. That, of course, would probably confuse people. But the way listed above would probably confuse people, as well. Heck - people are confused, right now! :D

This adds yet another layer of difficulty to seating assignments. It's hard enough now as it is to get a fixed seating assigment at the preferred time. It seems the proposed plan would mean doing away with fixed dining. I personally enjoy having the same table, tablemates, and wait staf each night.

This adds yet another layer of difficulty to seating assignments. It's hard enough now as it is to get a fixed seating assigment at the preferred time. It seems the proposed plan would mean doing away with fixed dining. I personally enjoy having the same table, tablemates, and wait staf each night.

Yeah, I do too. That's why I said you'd have to sacrifice something - formal attire on everyone or assigned seating.

I think this would only add to the confusion and arguments about formal nights. I can see the day when formal nights will become obsolete, as more people choose not dine elsewhere and not pack formal wear.

As it stands now, I've noticed a drop in numbers in trhe MDR on formal nights. Maybe the maitre'd will be asking passengers for numbers attending in the not too distant future???

I think it will be obsolete in a few years, or else it will be that way on some cruise lines. Others, like Oceania, have no formal night, and use the smart casual attire as a marketing tool. As the number of cruise lines offering formal nights starts to drop, those who want to hold on to them can use that in their cruise marketing. Maybe everyone will get what he/she wants.

Our first cruise was in 1998, when formal actually was a formal occasion, women in long evening dresses and men in tuxedos. Now formal attire tends to include black pants and a top with a little sparkle or a dress that a person could even wear to the office. Many men are simply in shirtsleeves, some don't even bother with a tie. I guess I just don't understand what the big deal is to dress up a bit to go to a dining room for dinner.

If it means that much to a person to not put on a dress or long pants, why not just go to the buffet?

I mainly cruise on RCI, but our last 2 cruises were on Princess, not many people are dressed that formally on either line. I felt among the dressiest in just a cocktail dress.

Even NCL requires long pants at dinner, although I think Carnival now allows shorts at dinner.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that casual is already here and formal has little meaning, so no worries.

For years I have been put out with people who wouldn't bother themselves to at least look decent on formal/elegant nights, and loved it when people were sent away for stupidly coming into the dining room in bikini's and "wife beater" tshirts. Since I have been diagnosed with a devastating illness (paralyzed stomach), I don't feel like dressing to the 9's anymore. Mind you, I have beautiful clothes, and always look nice anywhere I go. But the idea of dressing up just wears me out. Saying that, it would not bother me one bit to choose a dining room where my sun dress would be appropriate on elegant night or whatever they are calling it this season. I want people who want to dress up be able to do so and enjoy themselves without having to put up with those who don't or can't. I certainly would never expect anyone else to not be able to enjoy their clothes and a good time out at dinner. I think I am in the minority.

Archived