10:05 flight out of Diego???

martinimadam

Well, it will be tight.

Have you called them and talked about the change. The same thing happened to me on a Delta flight last year. I told them I could not make my connection because I was on a cruise, and they changed me to another flight at no charge.

Tell them the cruise ship's arrival cannot be guaranteed, and you cannot make that morning flight. Good luck.

I'd ask the cruise company what they recommend as the earliest flight time before even posting here. And call the airline both to ask about later flights, as wisely suggested above, and ask what happens if you should keep that 10 a.m. flight but miss it (e.g., the ship is late, disemarkation takes longer than foreseen). I assume you'd have to pay a fee to change your ticket and perhaps pay a higher fare. And that's assuming there are still available seats. I'd change it to a later flight now. If possible.

I would not do a morning flight out of SAN based on the frequent delays in the ship being cleared for debarkation at that port. While the airport is very, very close - with a 10:00am flight an hour or so customs delay puts you at risk of missing your flight. Not a risk I'd be willing to take. You may be able to switch to a later flight for no charge since AA changed your flight time; call them and request a complimentary change to a later flight due to time change of your original flight not working for you.

I would trust the folks on CC before I would take the word of an airline or Cruiseline!;)

Reader

Note I suggested asking the cruiseline first, not instead of posting here. The info the cruiseline gives could be an mportant part of the orignal question. I could see erring on the side of caution if the cruiseline said flying as soon as 10 a.m. was advisable (I doubt they would) and CC posters said that, based on experience, it was risky, but if posters said go ahead and cruiseline said don't? Neither posters, nor the cruiseline, nor airline, will take responsibility for OP missing a flight. Only OP will suffer the consequences. Airline won't advise re which flight to take after a cruise (they'll just say how early OP should arrive at check-in), but they could inform OP of the fees, etc. should OP miss their scheduled flight (they could say whether later flights currently have seats but won't guess whether there will still be any available on departure day). Regs can vary by airline. On this, I would definitely take the word of the airline. That's what I meant.

Thanks, all, for your input.

I know I can change the flight right now, without a change fee, since AA changed my schedule. The next flight isn't until 1:00pm.

I'm flying on American Eagle which is a small satellite terminal and the last time I flew out of SAN the check-in/security there only took a few minutes. That time I was scheduled for a 1:15 flight but was able to get on the 11:15 (which has just been cancelled!).

I wasn't aware of the immigration/customs issues. Guess I'll just change to the 1:00pm, plan to be one of the last folks off the ship, grab a cab to the airport and make sure I have a good book to read.:)

Thanks again for the info.

Thanks, all, for your input.

I know I can change the flight right now, without a change fee, since AA changed my schedule. The next flight isn't until 1:00pm.

I'm flying on American Eagle which is a small satellite terminal and the last time I flew out of SAN the check-in/security there only took a few minutes. That time I was scheduled for a 1:15 flight but was able to get on the 11:15 (which has just been cancelled!).

I wasn't aware of the immigration/customs issues. Guess I'll just change to the 1:00pm, plan to be one of the last folks off the ship, grab a cab to the airport and make sure I have a good book to read.:)

Thanks again for the info.

Definitely change to the 1:00 PM flight.

I can't tell you how many cruises I've been on arriving to not only this port but also other USA ports where customs and immigration were delayed.

There is no way I would take nor recommend a flight this early.

If this was me, I would go ahead and change it sooner rather than later.

Keith

Thanks, again, all.

Just changed my flight to the 1:00pm. They actually tried to charge me a change fee! I stood my ground and they backed down. What do folks who don't travel much do??? Wonder how many change fees AA has charged for this kind of thing!

Anyway. All is good. Sure do appreciate all the advice from this board!

Thanks, again, all.

Just changed my flight to the 1:00pm. They actually tried to charge me a change fee! I stood my ground and they backed down. What do folks who don't travel much do??? Wonder how many change fees AA has charged for this kind of thing!

Anyway. All is good. Sure do appreciate all the advice from this board!

Most airlines try to do this, and that's why I fly Southwest as much as I can.

I was told on the cruise air board here on CC to do what you did about two years ago. Delta tried to send us from LAX to SALT LAKE CITY to Honolulu!!! I just told them I had a ship to catch, and I wanted my old itinerary back, please.

Archived