Silhouette Aqua Class Blu Formal Dining Dress?

Richard&JohnSTX

I have emailed Celebrity to ask this question.

There is no clear answer from these boards as to wether the Aqua restaurant is classed as a speciality place or the equivalent to the MDR?

If you read the MANY threads about Aqua Class you will find that Blu follows the same dress code as the MDR. If it's formal night in the MDR, it's formal night in Blu....now as to whether there are more tuxes than suits...that's a different discussion....:)

If you read the MANY threads about Aqua Class you will find that Blu follows the same dress code as the MDR. If it's formal night in the MDR, it's formal night in Blu....now as to whether there are more tuxes than suits...that's a different discussion....:)

If you read the many threads, that is not the case...To answer the OPs question, on both my AQ cruises, the dress code was smart casual and men were in various sorts of dress, very few in tuxes, suits, sport jackets, jackets without ties and the without jackets. Celebrity's web site is confusing on this subject and has created a situation that needs to be addressed.

Blu was definitely formal on formal nights on both my cruises on Equinox. I think aside from a couple of very rare exceptions this is the case on all S-Class ships (that Blu follows the dress code of the main dining room).

If you read the many threads, that is not the case...To answer the OPs question, on both my AQ cruises, the dress code was smart casual and men were in various sorts of dress, very few in tuxes, suits, sport jackets, jackets without ties and the without jackets. Celebrity's web site is confusing on this subject and has created a situation that needs to be addressed.

Don, I think this just causes confusion when you post this; the vast majority of people (as well as Celebrity themself) have indicated that Blu always follows the dress code of the MDR. I think there was just a very rare exception on your cruise. That is far from the norm and should be seen as an aberration. Blu follows the dress code of the MDR. I agree that Celebrity should make this more clear on their website.

Don, I think this just causes confusion when you post this; the vast majority of people (as well as Celebrity themself) have indicated that Blu always follows the dress code of the MDR. I think there was just a very rare exception on your cruise. That is far from the norm and should be seen as an aberration. Blu follows the dress code of the MDR. I agree that Celebrity should make this more clear on their website.

I respectfully disagree, there was a couple that returned last week reporting it was definitely smart casual. I have seen as many posts from people saying it was smart casual as formal. It is definitely not an aberration...

If you will notice, I post that it could go either way, say there is a problem that people should be aware of. This is definitely more accurate than saying it is formal or saying it is smart casual. Right now no one can say exactly what it is.

In this case, I purposely tried to avoid explaining the whole mess that Celebrity has created and gave the mode of dress on my two cruises in AQ on two different ships.

I know that no one asked me (:o), but I have to be on Don's side on this.

The website gives contradictory statements on the subject, and Don only gave an explanation of that, followed by a recount of his own experience. Saying that the Blu dress code definitely follows the MDR is much less of a supportable statement than the one Don made.

I am following this debate closely, since I have not yet been in AQ, and would rather not dress formally, if possible.

Solstice Blu - March 2011 Eastern Caribbean. Approximate numbers. 10% tux. 30% suit. 50% sports coat with or without tie. 10% mostly dress shirt. I don't think there were many polo shirts at dinner on formal night.

I know that no one asked me (:o), but I have to be on Don's side on this.

The website gives contradictory statements on the subject, and Don only gave an explanation of that, followed by a recount of his own experience. Saying that the Blu dress code definitely follows the MDR is much less of a supportable statement than the one Don made.

Virtually everybody who has sailed AQ reports that on the ship Blu follows the same dress code as the MDR. It has only been very, very isolated reports that Blu did not follow the same dress code of the MDR. Virtually every Celebrity representative also states this when queried. Written documents on board the ship also state this. Yes, the website is confusing - but on board the ship 99% of the time (or what not) Blu is formal on formal nights. This is not an "opinion" or even necessarily the way I want things - it is just an objective, factual statement.

Virtually everybody who has sailed AQ reports that on the ship Blu follows the same dress code as the MDR. It has only been very, very isolated reports that Blu did not follow the same dress code of the MDR. Virtually every Celebrity representative also states this when queried. Written documents on board the ship also state this. Yes, the website is confusing - but on board the ship 99% of the time (or what not) Blu is formal on formal nights. This is not an "opinion" or even necessarily the way I want things - it is just an objective, factual statement.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you - I'm just saying that (assuming Don isn't lying) his experience is a fact, and it is a fact that there are contradictions on the website. However, saying that there definitely is a formal night in Blu is contradictory to those facts - and isn't supportable with actual facts, unless someone complies a witness-account of every Blu venue on every evening since the inception of the S-Class.

In other words, we have one witness saying that he has had no formal nights in Blu, and another saying that there absolutely are formal nights in Blu. Those two comments are mutually exclusive - one of those statements has to be wrong.

I just want to know for sure...

Don wasn't lying; I just think there was a rare occurrence when he dined in Blu. There have been several threads on this topic and the vast majority of people state Blu was formal on formal night. People have even posted copies of the Celebrity Connections daily newsletter that clearly states that Blu and the MDR were both formal on formal night. Just because there are occasional exceptions does not mean that the vast majority of the time Blu and the MDR follow the same dress code.

I wonder if the most recent posters are discussing semantics related to the dress code policy and the clarity of Celebrity's web site. To my mind, it seems clear that the policy, as reported by experienced cruisers, is that Blu follows the dress code of the MDR. But, let's not forget the original poster asked about "...observed dress" not what the published dress code may or may not be.

Regardless of the published policy, several posters here have reported on what they have observed, and I thank them for that. This very same discussion could have just as easily related to the MDR dress code on formal night, and what cruisers have observed on formal night in the MDR.

Last week we were on Solstice. On the 3rd formal night - at our table of 8 there were three tux and 1 suit with tie.

As we entered I took a quick photo from which you can make your own judgement. This was typical of what I saw throughout the ship

Solstice Blu 3rd Formal Night 30 July 2011

Don wasn't lying; I just think there was a rare occurrence when he dined in Blu. There have been several threads on this topic and the vast majority of people state Blu was formal on formal night. People have even posted copies of the Celebrity Connections daily newsletter that clearly states that Blu and the MDR were both formal on formal night. Just because there are occasional exceptions does not mean that the vast majority of the time Blu and the MDR follow the same dress code.

Understood. Thanks.:)

Last week we were on Solstice. On the 3rd formal night - at our table of 8 there were three tux and 1 suit with tie.

As we entered I took a quick photo from which you can make your own judgement. This was typical of what I saw throughout the ship

Solstice Blu 3rd Formal Night 30 July 2011

Thanks for the photo. It's interesting to me to see the waiters in Blu a bit more casually dressed than the waiters I've seen in MDR on formal nights. In the MDR, they always wore a black jacket, not quite a tuxedo, but more formal than their everday uniform. But Blu seems to be different, thereby adding more fuel to the Blu dress code debate :D

PS90 and Gonzo:

Thank you for the conversation...My problem with this is based on Celebritys web site and is quite simple. I would hate to see someone follow the web site, not pack formal clothes and then be refused entry into Blu...We know what Blu is and how to treat it but new cruisers do not and their only reference is the web site which very clearly states Blu is a Specialty Restaurant and that Specialties are smart casual every night.

Gonzo, after thinking about it I do tend to think that I am confusing it but I also don't believe that the vast majority are coming back and saying it is formal. Just can't see it on these boards, sorry.

As the OP thanks for all the replies - I am one of those 50 something and my partner is the 60 something - we live in the Virgin Islands and never had a need for Tuxes - so when we started with Celebrity 5 years ago we bought Tuxes and enjoyed the dress up because here I wear flip flops and shorts to work if I want to. But now after averaging 3 - 4 cruises a year and seeing the Formal Night experience in the MDR become more casual I have started to wonder why schlep the Tuxes! We are booked AQ for the first time for the B2B Silhoutte Oct 10 Holy Land and continuing Oct 22 on the TA to NJ and I am worried about

packing all the various clothes for the changing climates - we always have done carryon so my thought is don't bring the tuxes - buy a black suit for formal nights - the jacket can be worn on the plane so doesn't need to be packed and then the slacks can also be worn on casual nights! Good plan? Richard

As the OP thanks for all the replies - I am one of those 50 something and my partner is the 60 something - we live in the Virgin Islands and never had a need for Tuxes - so when we started with Celebrity 5 years ago we bought Tuxes and enjoyed the dress up because here I wear flip flops and shorts to work if I want to. But now after averaging 3 - 4 cruises a year and seeing the Formal Night experience in the MDR become more casual I have started to wonder why schlep the Tuxes! We are booked AQ for the first time for the B2B Silhoutte Oct 10 Holy Land and continuing Oct 22 on the TA to NJ and I am worried about

packing all the various clothes for the changing climates - we always have done carryon so my thought is don't bring the tuxes - buy a black suit for formal nights - the jacket can be worn on the plane so doesn't need to be packed and then the slacks can also be worn on casual nights! Good plan? Richard

Great plan - have a great time and you and partner will LOOK GOOD too.

Archived