Palermo Catacombs... on your own?

Wayfairers

We will be in Palermo in early October. From looking at the HOHO bus map, you can take the morning route / bus and get off not too far from the catacombs. A bit freaky for us...from the videos we have seen, but I read a gentleman's blog where he took the HOHO bus and it was practically around the corner.

This site will show you the map...I think you want to get off on stop 7 (Red line). Looks like it's just a short walk, to the North.

http://www.viator.com/tours/Italy/Palermo-City-Hop-on-Hop-off-Tour/d57-2916PALM

Edited by Mermen

We have long recommended that folks stopping in Palermo go see the Capuchin Catacombs. At one time it was actually impossible for large groups to see these Catacombs since the monk that granted entrance had no time for groups. These days we hear they are a bit more liberal granting entrance. Going there on your own is not a big deal. We did it by simply taking a taxi to the Catacombs (much too far to walk from the port) and then grabbing a local bus back into the downtown area after we finished at the catacombs and grabbed a bite to eat a few blocks from the attraction. I would suggest walking from the port into the center of town and paying a visit to the tourist office where you can get info on the appropriate local bus (in case you want to use the cheap buses). As to HoHo buses we are not big fans and think they are generally overpriced and folks can waste lots of valuable port time simply waiting for the bus. HoHo's are fine for folks with limited mobility who like to ride around a city and view things from inside a bus, but using public transit (and even a taxi) to simply go from point A to point B is faster and usually a lot cheaper. Keep in mind that the center of Palermo is within walking distance of the port and this is the part of town where most tend to spend the bulk of their time. The Capuchin Catacombs are outside the city center and do require a taxi or local bus for access.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

How easy/difficult would it be to do the catacombs in Palermo on your own from the cruise ship?

Easy enough. I went to the Catacombs last month. If you do it yourself it is a 2 bus job to get there (but only 1 ticket as you will be within the 75 minute limit from when you first validate it)

As you leave the port area you will soon see a small information booth where you can pick up a map. Tell the assistant you want to go to the catacombs and he/she will mark the bus stops and numbers on it. From memory it was the 104 to start, and you get out at the Palazzio de Normanni. Can't remember what number the second bus is, but if it isn't there quickly you can walk there (3/4 mile) going down the utterly unremarkable Via Cappucini until you come to a small crossroads. Turn right into Via Pindermonte, and you will see the Catacombs in 20 yards

If you go straight on instead of turning right, Via Cappucini becomes Via Guiseppe Pitre and you've gone too far so stop and turn around !

Entry to the catacombs costs 3 Euros and it is open 9-12 and 3-7, No photography is permitted, which was a blow because I lie to make a YouTube video of everywhere I go on the whole cruise, but I understand it is a place for respect. It's a one-trick attraction but I was very glad I went, and the story is fascinating. Maximum half an hour needed in there. From leaving the ship reckon on an hour to get there. If you get lucky with the buses you could do it in 45 minutes, but time seeps away buying tickets from the tabacchi and locating the nearest bus stop.

Coming back I took that second bus back to the Palazzio and was going to get the 104 back to near the port but at the last minute decided to walk it, and I'm so glad I did as I went into the cathedral and saw a fair bit of intriguing architecture. And when I make the video I will find out what it was called and exactly what it was all about it :)

All the best

Tony

Thanks everyone for the wonderful, concise information. This is what I love about CC - 3 answers = 3 different options on getting to the catacombs from the ship. Now I just have to decide which we want to use.... I will probably take all the information with me and decide which one I feel like doing that day. Thanks again!!!!

Thanks everyone for the wonderful, concise information. This is what I love about CC - 3 answers = 3 different options on getting to the catacombs from the ship. Now I just have to decide which we want to use.... I will probably take all the information with me and decide which one I feel like doing that day. Thanks again!!!!

Actually only two opinions since we agree with the prior post about using local buses. You can either spend the big bucks for a HoHo bus (which will eventually get you to the Catacomb area via a very indirect route or you can simply use the local buses (only a couple of Euros). We had also mentioned a taxi...but we did this (one way) only to save some time over using the local buses.

Hank

Actually only two opinions since we agree with the prior post about using local buses. You can either spend the big bucks for a HoHo bus (which will eventually get you to the Catacomb area via a very indirect route or you can simply use the local buses (only a couple of Euros). We had also mentioned a taxi...but we did this (one way) only to save some time over using the local buses.

Hank

I will still count it as 3.. taxi/bus/HOHO :D:D

I suspect we will end up with your original option... taxi there/bus back but I've been known to change my mind about those things when I get off the ship and look around. That is why I have learned to take information about all options with me.

The HOHO in Palermo is $28 per person... not as expensive as I thought it would be

It's not terribly expensive is it? We looked at a few YouTube videos and found it rather fun. We don't have mobility "issues" but always enjoy taking a HOHO...and get off where we want to spend time. Never have had a problem in any country.

You sound like us, we take along the information with us and often decide based upon weather, crowds, etc. I hate rushing around in port. We do what we can and enjoy what we do, thinking "there's always next time". :D

We're planning on taking the HOHO in Palermo next month too. I read from some Palermo HOHO riders that the afternoon or second route was not as interesting, but we'll see.

Hope you guys enjoy your trip and take lots of pictures! Happy sailing.

Gary

Edited by Mermen

• 3 years later...

We walked there and back,took a route from google maps and didn't follow it,started going into some real rough areas,I had studied the maps on line and made our way up it was well worth it,when we came back we went via the shops it was a sunday so they were shut (well pleased ) all in all a good experience :):)

Has anyone been here recently? Im cruising in February on a Tuesday and would like to know the best way to get there from the port? or the center of Town

It's two and a quarter miles from the cruise port, some of that uphill. I'd look into a taxi or a bus to get there and consider walking back.

Remember that the catacombs are closed for a few hours at midday, so plan around that.

• 2 weeks later...