A New "Love Boat" Television Show

I know that I'm showing my age, but having cruising on my mind lately, has me remembering the old sitcom "The Love Boat" and got me thinking it would be awesome if they reinvented it (but please, not in too much of a a trashy reality show format! LOL). Does anyone else miss that old (admittedly terrible) show or is it just me? :D

I loved that show!!! I thought you had to be rich & famous to cruise!! I used to think about how grand it would be to be on that ship. It looked so big at the time and the romance and the fun!! never thought I would ever get to cruise!! Love that show!!

I know that I'm showing my age, but having cruising on my mind lately, has me remembering the old sitcom "The Love Boat" and got me thinking it would be awesome if they reinvented it (but please, not in too much of a a trashy reality show format! LOL). Does anyone else miss that old (admittedly terrible) show or is it just me? :D

Yes, from 1977 to 1986 what would Saturday nights be like without The Love Boat followed by Fantasy Island (Look...da plane; da plane). Anyway, I regress. The show features either B celebrities or famous past their prime movie or singing stars or up and coming stars. They attempted to bring back the show in the 1990's on the new Sun Princess with Robert Urich as the Captain. Unfortunately the show was a flop. It's rare that remakes work. Anway.....I dreamed of going on one of those white ships. I was 19 years old and in 1980 my mom wanted to on a cruise. Dad didn't so she took me. We flew to Miami and boarded RCCL's ship Song of Norway. It wasn't a Love Boat, but it certainly was just as nice as one. We had a blast. I was hooked. Going forward in 1989 I got a job call from a temp agency that they needed an accountant at a major cruise line in Century City (Los Angeles). Oh man...I jump at the opportunity. Yes, it was Princess Cruises....The Love Boat. I was eventually hired and work their from 1989 to 1997. Although working at the land based headquarters wasn't like working on the ship and the TV series was off the air by then, it was still a fascinating place to work as they still did market their ships as The Love Boat. I especially remember the ignaural events they would have for the employees when a new ship was christened. I did get to go on many Princess cruises over the course of my employment (for practically nothing). The ship would play over the PA the Love Boat Theme as you set sail for far away places. I did get to meet Gavin MacLeod at the company's 25th anniversary party. Unfortunately, Princess broke off ties with Aaron Spelling Productions who owned the rights to The Love Boat and are no longer market their ships as "The Love Boats."

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone else miss that old (admittedly terrible) show or is it just me? :D

I loved that show, can still sing the theme tune.....but only after a few drinks:)

It's available on dvd, I think the first 2 seasons have been released so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved watching the show. I particularly enjoyed seeing actors and actresses who had not been on "the big screen" (or even TV) for a long time. Not to mention when it showed some shots of crew cabins that were equivalent to a "suite". I don't remember the show being revived in the 90's , though.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting ready to go on my 15th cruise and I don't think I have even sailed and NOT thought of the Love Boat!!! Now that was when Saturday night TV was worth staying home for. I was actually on a ship and I believe it was Carnival but not sure and Charro was preforming and had Dinner at the Captians table ! For a frozen moment in time I felt like I was on the LOVE BOAT LOL !

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=charo+love+boat&view=detail&id=2277A6E263F918470595E0B82E74AC82DE49C342&first=0&FORM=IDFRIR

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I guess you can tell by my sign in that my first cruise was on the original Love Boat back in 1977. I'm sure that the cruise industry is very thankful

to the show, it started the cruise boom. I loved the show and it was instrumental in me booking my first cruise.

I think this was a fun thread to start.

Dee

ps: I'm going to download the loveboat theme as my cel phone ring tone :p.

Speaking of Love Boat, we just bought tickets to a dinner theatre show on Friday night, starring Jill Whelan............... As in Vicky Stubing, the captain's daughter. Being curious, I did a little reading on IMDB and I also realize now I remembered her as the "sick girl" on the movie Airplane! She also worked on the say no to drugs campaign, but since seems to be teaching drama school. It will be fun to see what she is like on stage now.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i loved the show. i dreamed of going on a cruise each time i watched it. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Watching the Love Boat was definitely the beginning of my love of cruising. I, too dreamed of being the cruise director as a young teenager. I didn't go on a cruise until I was in my late twenties but it lived up to the hype and I haven't stopped cruising. I need to buy the DVD.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I LOVED LOVED LOVED the Love Boat! As a matter of fact, I wanted to go to work for a cruise line in the early 80's! I thought I could be "Julie" & live this glamorous lifestyle on the high seas!! Imagine my surprise to find out what it is REALLY like to work on a cruise ship! At that moment I decided I wanted to be passenger not an employee.:D

• 4 weeks later...

Sea Venture was a cruise ship designed in a very classic style, unlike these top-heavy floating land resorts we have today. Sea Venture actually came to the aid of QE2 when she suffered some engine issues in the early 70s. Captain Tobjorn Hauge of Sea Venture, after spending 24+ hours awake and while assisting QE2, made the comment "We'll sleep when we get old".

Considering the Regal Empress (Olympia / Caribe I) did 55 years on the sea, 40 years is not a lot.

It's sad to see her go to the breakers as she was a classic with much life left in her, especially for those who do not need all the frills of the floating boxes, and can just enjoy being on a real ship.

I'm fortunate to have a Sea Venture folder, complete with daily programs and menus. My girl friend's parents sailed on her and that is where I got it from.

Sea Venture? Uh.... That was her birth name. She later became Pacific Princess. She will me missed.

If you ever want some good reading, read John Maxtone Graham's book "Liners to the Sun". Here's part of it, and it includes the Sea Venture / QE2 episode:

Scroll UP to read the rest of the story, as the link works as it does.

http://books.google.com/books?id=UUnbb9tXDtAC&pg=PA313&lpg=PA313&dq=sea+venture+%2B+QE2+%2B+captain&source=bl&ots=xi0wDMaLZp&sig=fXqJ4my5gll-h2IRuMu4UtuIdns&hl=en&sa=X&ei=2UVuT-LLMOTn0QGTod3sBg&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=sea%20venture%20%2B%20QE2%20%2B%20captain&f=false

My second cruise was on THE Love Boat... and guess what??? We got engaged on it!!! Such fond memories... and we LOVED all the TV show memorabilia... had our formal picture taken on the atrium staircase.... still sitting on my desk at work today.

Oh, by the way, NCL IS making a reality show on the high seas! It's called "Love for Sail" Debuts Tuesday April 10 at 10:00 p.m. on the Lifetime Network.

• 2 months later...
My second cruise was on THE Love Boat... and guess what??? We got engaged on it!!! Such fond memories... and we LOVED all the TV show memorabilia... had our formal picture taken on the atrium staircase.... still sitting on my desk at work today.

Oh, by the way, NCL IS making a reality show on the high seas! It's called "Love for Sail" Debuts Tuesday April 10 at 10:00 p.m. on the Lifetime Network.

We cruised the Pacific Princess in 2002 a month before she left the fleet. We thought it so funny how small the ship was in comparison to others we had cruised- (and at that time the biggest ship we had cruised only held 2000 people LOL! I wonder what we would think of her now?) but we had great time for nostalgia alone!

Archived