One Star HAL Marketing

NEOPHYTUS

This should be classified under the "Cheapening the Brand" file or "We're so desperate for revenue, we'll sell cabins on a promo cruise full of non-paying TAs ". :eek:

2-day Seabourn sampler

Ship: Seabourn Quest

Departure Port: Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Arrival Port: Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Departure Dates: Dec 07, 2011 Ocean-view Suite * from $749

per person

Veranda Suite * from $849

per person

Penthouse Suite * from $1,499

per person

Owner's Suite * from $1,899

per person

Sort of like the 'old' 3 day cruises to Nowhere, from NYC and back, including the Hudson River. Massive work for the crew, with TA's and some 'Seabourn Guests' who were big spenders of certain TA's. The two days out of FLorida are probably not well subscribed (I had been booked, switched to the Spirit).

However, could be fun Christmas present for the family.

This should be classified under the "Cheapening the Brand" file or "We're so desperate for revenue, we'll sell cabins on a promo cruise full of non-paying TAs ". :eek:

2-day Seabourn sampler

Ship: Seabourn Quest

Departure Port: Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Arrival Port: Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Departure Dates: Dec 07, 2011 Ocean-view Suite * from $749

per person

Veranda Suite * from $849

per person

Penthouse Suite * from $1,499

per person

Owner's Suite * from $1,899

per person

I see no harm in this. SB used to do this type of promo and it was a hit. A perfect way to entice new psgrs who are curious prior to a big committment. Once you have sampled this kind of cruising..you are hooked. I only wish it was Tucson to Tucson...:D

I see no harm in this. SB used to do this type of promo and it was a hit. A perfect way to entice new psgrs who are curious prior to a big committment. Once you have sampled this kind of cruising..you are hooked. I only wish it was Tucson to Tucson...:D

How is that port of Tucson?

Actually, I wish they did sell 2-3 night cruises on one of the smaller triplets, maybe as "turnarounds" during the Winter out of either Miami or FLL. I think they would make "boatloads" of money doing something like this.

I agree- it would be a hassle-free getaway!

Host Dan

If you check the full schedules, it is clear that this "2-day sampler" is in the first place scheduled, to bring the ship in the right scheduling for the next cruises before and around the x-mas end of year dates.

Seabourn is not the only one. For exemple Windstar has also in november a 5 days Athens - Athens (io their "standard" 7 days) in order to scop with the longer 12 days and 19 days comming up afterwards befor the ship is repositionned for the transatlantic crossing.

If you check the full schedules, it is clear that this "2-day sampler" is in the first place scheduled, to bring the ship in the right scheduling for the next cruises before and around the x-mas end of year dates.

Seabourn is not the only one. For exemple Windstar has also in november a 5 days Athens - Athens (io their "standard" 7 days) in order to scop with the longer 12 days and 19 days comming up afterwards befor the ship is repositionned for the transatlantic crossing.

No, this 2-day sampler has nothing to do with scheduling for the next cruises. As the Quest sails into Ft. Lauderdale at the end of the maiden trans-Atlantric crossing, it's the first time in a USA port. Before it continues to the maiden Caribbean cruise, the 2 day interlude is for HAL to showcase the ship to the USA travel agent community. This is an exact replay of what Seabourn did with the then new Odyssey and Sojourn after their inaugural visits to FLL. The difference with the Quest is the new HAL team is marketing a travel agent expo as a sampler cruise selling cabins to an unsuspecting public who will find a a ship totally dominated by non-paying travel agents. :eek: The recent Spirit post is indicative of the result. Not an experience I would consider even for free, less alone pay for it.

No, this 2-day sampler has nothing to do with scheduling for the next cruises. As the Quest sails into Ft. Lauderdale at the end of the maiden trans-Atlantric crossing, it's the first time in a USA port. Before it continues to the maiden Caribbean cruise, the 2 day interlude is for HAL to showcase the ship to the USA travel agent community. This is an exact replay of what Seabourn did with the then new Odyssey and Sojourn after their inaugural visits to FLL. The difference with the Quest is the new HAL team is marketing a travel agent expo as a sampler cruise selling cabins to an unsuspecting public who will find a a ship totally dominated by non-paying travel agents. :eek: The recent Spirit post is indicative of the result. Not an experience I would consider even for free, less alone pay for it.

Assuming Neophytus is right, and I suspect he/she is, any new passengers are more likely to be put off Seabourn than to wish to travel on the line again, surely. Certainly if the Spirit recent experience is anything to go by.

The difference with the Quest is the new HAL team is marketing a travel agent expo as a sampler cruise selling cabins to an unsuspecting public who will find a a ship totally dominated by non-paying travel agents. :eek:

Are you 100% positive this is the case? If so, can you please provide your source of information??

Host Dan

Are you 100% positive this is the case? If so, can you please provide your source of information??

Host Dan

I would like to know this too. I would like to recommend this to my parents who winter in Florida. They are reluctant to commit to a seven day or more voyage as they are afraid they will not like the confinement. This three day excursion would be a great test for them. However, if it will be full of problematic travel agents, I do not want to do this. More info please!! My husband and I have been on four Seabourn cruises and love them. We enjoy freely recommending them to all we know!

Host Dan

In 2009 the Odyssey, new to the USA, hosted land based staff, travel agents and a benefit art event on short cruises for 3 days between Nov. 11 and Nov 14, before resuming regular service.

In 2010 the Sojourn, new to the USA, hosted land based staff and travel agents on short cruises for 4 days between Nov. 15 and Nov 19, before resuming regular service. In FLL at the time and as a guest of my TA did a walk-thru of the ship for a couple hours.

In 2011 the Quest arrives new to the USA hosting land based staff and travel agents on short cruises for 2 days ONLY between Nov. 21 and Nov. 23, because the major American eating holiday of Thanksgiving is on Nov. 24th when business activity virtually ceases for the long weekend. In order to accommodate the remaining travel agent demand for the free expo cruise, the Quest worked in two more days between Dec. 7 and Dec 9, but based on past experience, two days was not enough to meet TA participation while four days leaves spare capacity, so why not a 2 day sampler cruise to fill the ship.

For obvious reasons cannot provide my source, but reading the factual explanation one might surmise it's someone in the cruise industry based in South Florida.. very close to the port.....who will be on the Quest for the travel expo #1 or #2, depending when notified.

Interesting. From what I hear at SB, TA's are free to book the 2 day sampler AT FULL FARE. They will not be hosted on this cruise. Just an FYI from SB itself.

Host Dan

Dan, don't doubt your info at all..just relaying what I've heard from my contact. For what it's worth, this 2 day sampler was never listed or offered on the official cruise calendar but popped up very recently.

Your source is not completely correct.

In 2010 on Monday, Nov 15 Party for Seabourn Staff only for dinner/entertainment.

Nov 16 TA's board for 2 night cruise to nowhere

Nov 18 TA's disembark AM

Nov 18 afternoon One night cruise to nowhere for guests of a Golf/Country Club nationwide management company

Nov 19 Golf/Country Club group disembark and later that day the ship leaves on its Maiden Caribbean Voyage. It left a little late as they were waiting for a family of 4.

My sources have told me that there will be no TAs on free for the Dec sailing. If there are TAs on they will pay. No TA functions are planned for that sample cruise.

Archived