Venice Restaurant Recommendations

VirtualRain

Hi, we will be over-nighting in Venice on our upcoming cruise and want to make the most of it by taking my gal out for a memorable dining experience in Venice.

What's perhaps most important is the setting - good Italian food is obviously important too while money is no object for this outing. Assuming the weather is acceptable, I'd prefer patio dining in a nice square or perhaps even better - overlooking some canal(s). The food should be as good as possible, but I'm really not interested in some hole-in-the-wall experience just because the food is fantastic. ;)

Any suggestions?

Thanks! :)

Hi, we will be over-nighting in Venice on our upcoming cruise and want to make the most of it by taking my gal out for a memorable dining experience in Venice.

What's perhaps most important is the setting - good Italian food is obviously important too while money is no object for this outing. Assuming the weather is acceptable, I'd prefer patio dining in a nice square or perhaps even better - overlooking some canal(s). The food should be as good as possible, but I'm really not interested in some hole-in-the-wall experience just because the food is fantastic. ;)

Any suggestions?

Thanks! :)

In my experience, the prettiest place to eat outdoors is the vine-covered garden in the backyard of restaurant Agli Alboretti (Dorsoduro). When my husband and I first ate there in 2000, the food was traditional Italian. However, when we visited in 2007, the chef was serving very innovative Italian food, making sorbetto tableside with liquid nitrogen and searing fish tableside with an iron (as in ironing-a-shirt iron) Our meal was delicious, but definitely not the type of food most people think of when they think of Italian cuisine. If you like innovative cuisine, this is a great romantic experience.

Fiaschetteria Toscana (Canareggio) has a nice outdoor eating area with tables surrounding a medieval cistern. Excellent, traditional food.

We like to just wander around, check out the restaurants and their menus until one draws us in

Yeah, we often do this too... Even knowing what particular street or area to comb would be helpful.

In my experience, the prettiest place to eat outdoors is the vine-covered garden in the backyard of restaurant Agli Alboretti (Dorsoduro). When my husband and I first ate there in 2000, the food was traditional Italian. However, when we visited in 2007, the chef was serving very innovative Italian food, making sorbetto tableside with liquid nitrogen and searing fish tableside with an iron (as in ironing-a-shirt iron) Our meal was delicious, but definitely not the type of food most people think of when they think of Italian cuisine. If you like innovative cuisine, this is a great romantic experience.

Fiaschetteria Toscana (Canareggio) has a nice outdoor eating area with tables surrounding a medieval cistern. Excellent, traditional food.

Thanks... These both sound good... (LOL at the Iron seared fish!) I'll make sure we investigate both.

Keep the recommendations coming please.

I am also in the process of deciding where in Venice I want to dine when I am there in October. Trip Advisor is a good resource. I also purchased "Chow Venice" which has recommendations in all Venice locations and all price points. A word of caution, often the best views come with the highest prices and the most mediocre food. Venice is a place where it is good to have a plan.

Also, when you decide, make a reservation!

My absolute favorite restaurant is the Al Gatto Nero on the island of Burano. We had lunch there and this meal was the highlight of our trip. The island of Burano is very pretty with all the colorful houses. If you have the time it would be well worth it for you. You can also check out the reviews on tripadvisor.

http://www.gattonero.com/it/index.html

I am also in the process of deciding where in Venice I want to dine when I am there in October. Trip Advisor is a good resource. I also purchased "Chow Venice" which has recommendations in all Venice locations and all price points. A word of caution, often the best views come with the highest prices and the most mediocre food. Venice is a place where it is good to have a plan.

Also, when you decide, make a reservation!

Does Chow Venice suggest anything that might meet my needs? (Fantastic patio setting with good food)

We were in Venice last month and we stayed at the lovely Locanda Orseolo. The staff there are amazing, and offered assistance with every question we had. From where to get the best gondola ride to the best places to go to for a pub crawl, best restaurants, etc. their suggestions were spot on!

Alex and Gigi at Locanda Orseolo gave me the list below of their favorite restaurants in Venice. The minutes next to the name indicates how far it is from Locanda Orseolo, which is very near St. Mark's Square.

http://www.locandaorseolo.com/

As for restaurant suggestions, please find here below a list of our

favourite restaurants:

Da Alberto - 15 min - The classic venetian osteria with wooden tables, house

wine and a full desk of delicious Cicheti ( local tapas). To eat, a small

menu for those who don't have high expectations. Sun.

Ca D'oro Alla vedova - 20 min - One of the oldest osteria in town, run for

many generations by the same family. Great desk of cicheti ( best meat balls

! ) to enjoy during the aperitif and, for something more, few traditional

dishes and the famous venetian liver. Thur.

Barababao - 10 min - Or in other words "the Boogey Man". A friendly place

nearby Rialto managed by young and smart guys that, with the chef Milo,

really care of both quality and preparation of the food. Classic venetian

dishes, meat, menu' for vegetarians, and even a little touch of creativity.

Always open.

Antico Dolo - 10 min - few steps from Rialto, a lovely osteria that is

nothing but a small saloon of dozen tables. The secret of this authentic

place is the affability of the couple of owners and the quality of the

seasonal products that every day come from the next door fish and vegetables

market. Fresh pasta! Always open.

Al Fontego - 20 min - A simple restaurant with a genuine and traditional

cuisine. Just to give you an idea about the freshness of the food. Lollo,

the owner, is first of all a fisherman who owns two fishing boats and a

desk at Rialto market. Stop. There's even an outdoor internal courtyard

open during the nice season. Mon.

Vini da Gigio - 20 min - A big name in Venice! Very famous for the quality

of the seasonal specialties, for the wide choice they offer, for the

authentic atmosphere and one of the largest wine list of the island. The

only problem is to find a table available! Reservation absolutely necessary.

Mon/Tue.

Vecio bragosso - 15 min - located in one of the largest and busy street of

Venice, this nice restaurant, with a kind of Retro' atmosphere, offers a

friendly service and a big choice of classic venetian dishes ( even meat in

the menu! ) still for good value prices. Some tables outside during the warm

season. Mon.

Antiche Carampane - 20 min - It's the real venetian osteria! Friendly

service, traditional dishes, great fresh fish and, above all .very

hidden!!! A place to try. if you are able to find it! Reservation advisable.

Sun/Mon.

La Bitta - 25 min - The only place in Venice where they serve only meat! A

small and cute restaurant where you can experience the specialties of the

mainland ( soups, tortellini, mushrooms, meat sauces and various kind of

white and red meat ) if you got enough of the lagoon shell sea food and

fish. Sun.

Corte Sconta - 20 min - A hidden trattoria located in the oldest part of

Venice, and so famous among the natives. They do what the venetians do at

their best, and that means fish, fish and fish again. From the appetizers to

the second courses, a great freshness and quality. Homemade pasta! Not the

best service. Reservation advisable. Sun/Mon.

Linea D'ombra - 25 min - A sort of two sides restaurant : inside rather

strange and modern, outside, a lovely wooden terrace on the water offer you

one of the best venetian view on San Marco basin and San Giorgio island.

The innovative cuisine is delicious. The view is absolutely priceless but

here it's something you will pay!... ; ) Reservation absolutely necessary.

Wed.

Testiere - 10 min - It's considered the most romantic restaurant in Venice,

due to the charming atmosphere, the soft lights and the very small size that

makes all very private and exclusive. Sea food and fish at their best! Nice

and refined even the selection of wines and cheeses. Reservation absolutely

necessary. Sun/Mon.

Acqua Pazza - 10 min - they serve specialties from Naples and the reason is.

the whole team come from Naples! Is like having a small part of the lively

south inside Venice. The homemade pasta is the best in town, but whatever

they propose, risotto, shell sea food, sea bus, sauté, pizza, is great and

is cooked in the southern style. . Portions are really generous! Mon.

Beccafico - 15 min - Sicilian specialties and wines in an exclusive

restaurant that keep an high quality throughout the year. In the cold season

just few tables in a small and elegant room, while during summertime it's

possible to enjoy a meal on the lovely outdoor in the airy and bright Santo

Stefano square. few steps before Academia bridge. Always open.

Osteria Santa Marina - 15 min - It's becoming a famous name in Venice,

especially if the occasion is special, and you are looking for an elegant

and refined restaurant. Here the kind staff propose a menu of local

specialties with a touch of creativity and innovation. During the warm

season, the peacefulness of the little square makes the small outdoor

lovely. Sun/Mon.

Osteria San marco - 5 min - A modern restaurant & wine bar in a central

location, really few steps behind San Marco square. The cuisine is always

open! No stop between 12.30 and 23.00 !!! creative dishes with local

products at most, and even a good selection of salami and cheeses. Quality

and location make the price. Sun.

- last but not least, two names for lunch or an easy dinner: "A La Campana"

and "Anima Bella", both located very close to our Locanda (three minutes

walk). The "A La Campana" owners tend not to accept reservations made in

advance, but they run a friendly, good place where you can stop to enjoy

some Venetian specialties; the "Anima Bella" provides authentic home

cooking, with only a selection of first courses (pasta and soups) and salads

in the menu.

Hope you find this list helpful. We did!

Wow... Thanks for the great info! Did you visit all of them?! Which stood out to you the most? Also, what's the significance of the day of the week mentioned by most entries?

BTW, what did they recommend for Gondola rides?

Alex and Gigi at Locanda Orseolo gave me the list below of their favorite restaurants in Venice.

Vini da Gigio

Wonderful food, but there's no outside seating.

Testiere - 10 min - It's considered the most romantic restaurant in Venice, due to the charming atmosphere, the soft lights and the very small size

Bobalink and I will have to agree to disagree on the romantic quotient of Alle Testiere. This restaurant has two seatings, something that is totally atypical for Italy. If you choose the first seating, you'll learn -- from explicit instructions when you make the reservation -- from the pace of the served meal -- from a warning if you linger -- that the table must be cleared in time for the second seating. I do not know if diners at the second seating are allowed to linger since we always eat at the first seating.

I'm remembering that some utilitarian object (was it headboards?) provides the only decoration on the walls. The tables are not covered with cloth tablecloths and the chairs are hard wood chairs with no padding anywhere. The tables are spaced very close to maximize the small square footage. To me, this doesn't add up to a romantic atmosphere however low the lights.

Finally, the only seating is indoor seating.

Now, having said all that, there's not a trip my husband and I make to Venice when we don't eat at least one meal at Testiere! The food is sublime. The recipes seem inventive, but, in fact, they dip back into Venice's past when the city was a key stop on the Silk Route and Spice Route. What the chef does in that tiny kitchen is nothing short of amazing.

Wow... Thanks for the great info! Did you visit all of them?! Which stood out to you the most? Also, what's the significance of the day of the week mentioned by most entries?

BTW, what did they recommend for Gondola rides?

VirtualRain,

No, I did not personally visit all of them... I was only there 4 days!

The day mentioned is the day the establishment is closed.

We ate at Anima Bella one evening. The food was delicious, but it is a "homey" atmosphere, very small. Not a place for a romantic date.

We also ate at Barababao. Again, the food was very good, but there isn't a view. We were a group of 8, and we all enjoyed our meal. Waiters were great, and helped us with our choices. Of course, with that size of group, we all get to have a taste of each other's selection.

Another great place we went, that I don't see on the list, was Al Remer. At one time, it was an oar factory. It isn't easy to find, it is tucked away, close to Rialto and has a great view of the canal from the "courtyard". They have a wide selection of cicheti, that is complimentary when you order drinks. Very casual, fun, atmosphere. Easily accommodated our group of 8.

Regarding the gondola ride, it would be difficult for me to explain exactly where because the directions were verbally given to my husband, and I just followed. All I remember is it was very close to Locanda Orseolo. We had a wonderful ride that went through many of the small canals. You may take a bottle of wine and glasses with you, and if you are lucky, your gondolier will sing. (Ours did not, but I heard others.)

I hope your experience in Venice was as magical as ours!

[/size]

Bobalink and I will have to agree to disagree on the romantic quotient of Alle Testiere.

ksps cruise fan,

The description of the restaurants are not mine. The list was provided by Locanda Orseolo, to help us decide where to go.;)

We did not dine at Alle Testiere, but I would sure like to! I look forward to returning to Venice some day.

Cheers!

ksps cruise fan,

The description of the restaurants are not mine. The list was provided by Locanda Orseolo, to help us decide where to go.;) Cheers!

Fascinating! We've stayed at Locanda Orseolo and used their restaurant recommendations -- with success -- although we were never handed a list.

Apparently, Alex/Gigi and I will agree to disagree on Testiere's romance factor.

I agree 100%

Having read some of the reviews on TripAdvisor, I'd say that Venice has some real tourist traps you need to watch out for. It seems many restaurants don't publish pricing for some of their dishes and people end up with rather shocking bills after they are done. (eg. 240-Euro for a basic meal for two). In other cases, their have been reports of unscrupulous waiters or owners inflating the bill above and beyond the menu prices.

Has anyone here experienced these kinds of scams?

First off, good for you on going all out for a romantic spot. I'm sure it will be appreciated. In researching my Oct cruise I found this reference on http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/venice/dm_saving_money.htm :

Best View and Free Taxi

I love to take the Cipriani taxi over to their hotel on the Guidecca facing S. Marco Square, in the evening to have a Bellini in the most pretty gardens of Venice. Not many people know this but the hotel Cipriani run a continuous taxi service to and from their hotel from in front of S. Marks Square, towards the area of the tourist info. center, near Harry's bar. The hotel is divine, the gardens, beautiful and the pool area a one of a kind for Venice. Even if you are not sleeping there and wish to have a drink in their bar or garden, you may take this free water taxi.

I would highly recommend staying for dinner at the Cip's Club, their lesser priced restaurant, situated on a floating barge overlooking the entire S. Marco basin.

Here's a link to their webpage: http://www.hotelcipriani.com/web/ocip/cipriani_restaurants.jsp

I've never been there but it sure looks gorgeous in the photos!

Having read some of the reviews on TripAdvisor, I'd say that Venice has some real tourist traps you need to watch out for. It seems many restaurants don't publish pricing for some of their dishes and people end up with rather shocking bills after they are done. (eg. 240-Euro for a basic meal for two). In other cases, their have been reports of unscrupulous waiters or owners inflating the bill above and beyond the menu prices.

Has anyone here experienced these kinds of scams?

I haven't read the Trip Advisor write-ups and I certainly haven't had any restaurant experiences any meals I'd label scams. That said, behaviors like upselling or menu building can be infuriating and the surprised diner can feel as if scammed. However, upselling and menu building are so easy to avoid, I don't think they rise to the level of scams.

o Unknown prices for dishes: Restaurants often don't publish the prices for some of their dishes, but this has nothing to do with Venice or tourism. This may simply be a function of the fact that the dish involves an ingredient that fluctuates in price. On the menu, you'll typically see the phrase market price. If anyone wants to know the market price today, just ask. No waiter is going to refuse to answer. (If he/she does refuse simply avoid that dish.) Problem solved.

I find more restaurants have the waiter recite the daily specials without the price than with the price. Just ask the waiter. You'll get an answer. Problem solved.

o Embellishments that turn out to have a surcharge: It's simply illogical to expect an ingredient to be added to a dish without paying for that extra ingredient. In Italy in the fall, you can be sure you'll be asked if you'd like to have some truffles grated over top of your dish. How can this possibly be free? Truffles are an inherently expensive ingredient. Another typical embellishment: the waiter may ask if you'd like the dish made with porcini mushrooms instead of the mushroom on the menu. You won't be surprised to learn that porcini mushrooms are more expensive than a crimini mushroom or whatever is written. If a diner has any doubts, just ask. Problem solved.

o Waiters/maitre d's who offer to let them make up a special dish for a diner. Sometimes these can incur a hefty price tag. Other times, they simply represent the efforts of a charming waiter to do something nice for a patron. If you have a nice rapport with your waiter -- and in Italy you can be a BFF simply by dining twice at a restaurant -- he'll look out for your interests by mentioning some particularly appealing food residing in the kitchen. Our experience is that he is not trying to scam you. He is more likely a true professional and a gracious representative of Italian cuisine who wants you to have a great experience. Once more: if you have any doubts, just ask.

o Fish/Shellfish charged by the gram price: Look at any menu featuring fish or shellfish and you'll see some items listed as market price or price per gram. Board members who use the metric system will tell you how little a gram weighs and how rapidly those grams can add up when that's the way you're being charged. Fish restaurants -- and there are plenty of those in Venice -- may bring out a platter with an assortment and invite the diner to make his/her selection. Do not assume all the items are priced the same. Just ask!

I think the act of asking -- politely! nicely! with no suspicion in your voice! -- forstalls lots of unpleasant surprises that can feel like scams.

My husband and I got involved in two lunches in Side, Turkey, one of which we handled well and one of which we didn't. Guess which one had a final bill that we felt was excessive! Both of the meals were lunches at port side restaurants. Both meals involved platters of fish/shellfish being presented. In one, we asked the prices and made our selection based on our comfort level. In the second, we believed we had a sense of the prices based on the earlier meal and just chose without asking. The second lunch was twice the price of the first -- and the first was not cheap. Were we scammed? Who knows? Arguing against the scam theory: The dishes we ordered that were priced on the menu were exactly as printed. Arguing for a scam: Perhaps the waiter picked the heaviest fish on the tray since our failure to ask prices signaled a casual attitude about price. Remember, gram prices add up fast.

After a short-lived flash of annoyance -- more at ourselves than at the restaurant -- we moved on. When we talk about that meal, we call it our "price of a Turkish rug" lunch, but we say it with a laugh.

If you enter a restaurant with a careful but positive attitude, you're likely to have a good outcome. Venetian restaurants are no riskier places to eat than restaurants elsewhere in Italy when it comes to costs.

The Terrace restaurant on the top floor of Daniele Hotel offers a spectacular view of the lagoon.

The restaurant in Gritti Palace is facing the Grand canal with good view of Santa Maria della salute church.

The floating restaurant in Ciprianni Hotel has great view of St Mark's Square across the lagoon.

When we were in Venice in November we ate an unbelievable dinner at A beccafico restaurant. It is in a charming piazza Campo San Stefano and they do have outdoor seating. They are open for lunch also - serving pizzas etc. I found it on Trip Advisor - at the time it was the top rated place in Venice, so I had high expectations and it exceded them. Wonderful food and the prices were not crazy by European standards. The menu was in Italian but they were very patient with us and basically translated the whole thing. The owner/manager even came to our table to offer suggestions and came back several times to make sure we were happy. It was one of the best meals we've ever had and we eat very well!! Granted - it was off season so I'm not sure this is how it would be if you were there in summertime - the place was jam packed mostly with locals. Highly recommend it!!

• 1 month later...

I guess I have unreasonable expectations. It's not the actual price that matters so much to me as 'value'. On our last trip to Venice, we were walked to a nearby restaurant by the mother of the owner of the hotel and ushered in without a chance to say, hey, wait a minute!!

The least expensive appetizers were 25 euros, and not one of them appealed to me. Entrees, even pasta dishes without meat, were 35 euros and up. Again, none to my liking--it was hard for me to spend over $100 for myself on a meal that didn't even sound good to me! I won't let that happen again--if I have to make a fool of myself by walking in and out of 5 restaurants before I find something I like, so be it.

The next night we ended up at a pizza place, just by chance, and had a great meal with prosecco, wine, and dessert and I think the total bill was 35 euros! I wouldn't normally go out for pizza for dinner in Italy, it just worked out that way--but we had a fun evening and made up for what we spent the night before!

Archived