China Visa denied update

Martyjac

For all those who answered my inquiry about my denied China visa, finally Holland has granted me a boarding pass for the Grand Asia cruise 70 day cruise without a China visa, though with a stipulation. I will have to stay on board during the ships visits to the 3 of the 4 ports in China, although I will be allowed to visit Hong, though a visa not required. Consequently, this is fine as I could of lost the entire cost of the cruise, but my travel agent and Holland worked it out. What a relief.

In retrospect, I did get a reply from my inquiry to the Chinese Consulate General's visa office in San Francisco about my denied visa. Although no reason was given to me for the denial they said that they frequently deny visas to felons, or people who owe restitution to the government, back child support, or any threat to China.

My suggestion to Holland and all ship lines is the ships booking agent onboard, or the passengers personal travel agent, is that they inform their customers who sign up with non refundable deposits, or plan to pay for their cruise in full, at the time of booking the trip, that they are fully responsible for attaining visas (if needed) and NO refunds given-verbally or in writing.

I know in the very back of the Holland catalogs they refer to visas in the fine print, but I did not order from any catalog, as there was a one page circular that was delivered to our stateroom advertising the Grand Asia 2011 cruise last December while on another Holland cruise.

The reality of this all, I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.

Holland has granted me a boarding pass for the Grand Asia cruise 70 day cruise without a China visa, though with a stipulation. I will have to stay on board during the ships visits to the 3 of the 4 ports in China, although I will be allowed to visit Hong, though a visa not required. Consequently, this is fine as I could of lost the entire cost of the cruise, but my travel agent and Holland worked it out. What a relief.

Thanks for the update and I wish you a calm voyage after the recent stormy waters. Enjoy Hong Kong as it is truly a magical city. :)

It was the (4) Chinese ports of call (Dalian, Xingang, Shanghai, Xiamen)that allowed Holland America to allow me to board the ship and do the cruise. The rule is when in China seas everyone on board must have a Chinese visa. I consider myself very lucky.

For all those who answered my inquiry about my denied China visa, finally Holland has granted me a boarding pass for the Grand Asia cruise 70 day cruise without a China visa, though with a stipulation. I will have to stay on board during the ships visits to the 3 of the 4 ports in China, although I will be allowed to visit Hong, though a visa not required. Consequently, this is fine as I could of lost the entire cost of the cruise, but my travel agent and Holland worked it out. What a relief.

In retrospect, I did get a reply from my inquiry to the Chinese Consulate General's visa office in San Francisco about my denied visa. Although no reason was given to me for the denial they said that they frequently deny visas to felons, or people who owe restitution to the government, back child support, or any threat to China.

My suggestion to Holland and all ship lines is the ships booking agent onboard, or the passengers personal travel agent, is that they inform their customers who sign up with non refundable deposits, or plan to pay for their cruise in full, at the time of booking the trip, that they are fully responsible for attaining visas (if needed) and NO refunds given-verbally or in writing.

I know in the very back of the Holland catalogs they refer to visas in the fine print, but I did not order from any catalog, as there was a one page circular that was delivered to our stateroom advertising the Grand Asia 2011 cruise last December while on another Holland cruise.

Martyjac,

So very glad you came back to post your results.

This seems an amazing and unpredictable outcome.

HAL seems to have really gone the extra mile for you.

I hope you were not put off of CC by some of the rather harsh posts on your thread.

Now just go and enjoy your wonderful Asia cruise.

r.

Congrats. So glad you wlll be able to board and take your 70 day cruise!

Congratulations on a decent ending to your visa ordeal. Even though you'll miss sights in China, you will probably have the ship to yourself during those port days. I wish you a great bargain in the spa, or sunny weather by the pool, a relaxing day with a good book, or whatever you choose to do those days.

If you've never been to Hong Kong, I suspect you'll love it. Great and beautiful city!

Glad it has work out for you, but I do hope that this does not make other passengers think that in the future if they do not bother with getting a visa and assume they can remain on board while the ship is in port.

I think in your case you can well assume that HAL have been in touch with the Chinese Embassy on your behalf and the Chinese have agreed to allow you to visit and remain on board. HAL would not do this otherwise. You must have a fairygodmother working at HAL. If she is real good you might even get an upgrade!!!!;)

Seriously, I still do not believe that HAL can be responsible for ensuring that everyone who makes a downpayment on a cruise should be inforrmed upfront what the visa requirements are or what they will be. It will always be the responsibility of the passenger. There could be a hundred different reasons why a passenger could not obtain a visa and a million other reasons why someone might have to cancel after final payment. "HAL SHOULD HAVE TOLD ME WHEN I BOOKED." Hard I know, but it just isn't their responsibility.

Anyhow, I'm glad that it has worked out for you. You can enjoy some nice quiet time on board in port andthen enjoy a gtreat time in Hong Kong.

Stephen

Glad it has work out for you, but I do hope that this does not make other passengers think that in the future if they do not bother with getting a visa and assume they can remain on board while the ship is in port.

I'm glad it worked out for the OP as well. For me, this whole ordeal highlighted just how risky a cruise vacation is. Even with insurance, there's something out of your control that can cause you to lose your money. I've learned some ways to help mitigate the risk: "any reason" insurance, but these most likely won't pay 100%... and researching all visa options to find one that can be applied for well before final payment.

Again, I'm glad this worked out for the OP. HAL did right by him.

The great worry wart and overplanner that I am, I can't help but wonder what would happen if the OP were to get sick and need to be taken ashore while in China. On my recent 14 day cruise we were made aware of two medical situations that caused a slight change in the ships plans. You just never know what can happen. I am suprised that the OP is being allowed to board. I thought that the only way this could happen would be if the OP were granted a visa under some special arrangement. This one boggles my mind a bit.

Glad this worked out for you.

However please note that HAL does not hide the fact that it's the passengers responsibilty to obtain all visas . It's posted on HAL's website under "Cruise Preparation" and than click on "DO I NEED A VISA >? http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Cruise+Preparation&contentMenu=Essential+Documentation&contentSubMenu=Visas

This fellow cruiser is aware of the Chinese visa rules as I'd noted upthread that that 90 day entry period is for single entry visas only and everyone, OP included, could always apply for a double or multiple entry visa that extends that period to 180 days for only a few dollars more. That post is here BTW:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30384415&postcount=71

I went and dug our applications and everything dealing with our visas for PRC and in our case even the multiple entry ones only allowed 90 days from the issue to the FIRST ENTRY!!!! That is important don't over read that. You have to enter the PRC at the very latest 90 days after it is issued. There is no way of extending that. On our print out the 180 days are the total number of days you are allowed to BE IN CHINA on a multi entry with in a single year. Granted that could be different for the US but I hardly think so since the US is being VERY picky over foreign nationals needing a visa for a recipicol visit. I really cannot see the PRC making it more diiffcult for one its major trade partners who inturn is easy on them.

I went and dug our applications and everything dealing with our visas for PRC and in our case even the multiple entry ones only allowed 90 days from the issue to the FIRST ENTRY!!!! That is important don't over read that. You have to enter the PRC at the very latest 90 days after it is issued. There is no way of extending that. On our print out the 180 days are the total number of days you are allowed to BE IN CHINA on a multi entry with in a single year. Granted that could be different for the US but I hardly think so since the US is being VERY picky over foreign nationals needing a visa for a recipicol visit. I really cannot see the PRC making it more diiffcult for one its major trade partners who inturn is easy on them.

Thanks for the information. I didn't double-check your statements, but even if you are incorrect and the previous posters gave accurate info regarding the 180 days validity... I don't see how it can be used to villainize the OP. It's not like he was intentionally trying to sneek in without a visa. He went through the proper application process and was more honest than I would have been on the form. Apparently HAL agrees (regarding not villainizing the OP) with me since they found a work-around solution and I'm glad for the OP and give kudos to HAL.

I went and dug our applications and everything dealing with our visas for PRC and in our case even the multiple entry ones only allowed 90 days from the issue to the FIRST ENTRY!!!! That is important don't over read that. You have to enter the PRC at the very latest 90 days after it is issued. There is no way of extending that.

There are several kinds of tourist visas and not all are limited to a 90 day visa validity. The visa application form is here

http://www.chinaconsulatesf.org/chn/qianzhen/P020110106297943134404.pdf

and it clearly shows on page 2 in section 2.2 the choices each traveller has as to visa validity and that multiple entry visas are valid for up to 180 days.

If the OP was advised to apply within 90 days of travel for a multiple entry visa then I would say that were given poor advice IMHO as it could've been done much earlier and well before final payment.

Archived