China Visa denied update

Martyjac

with 4 felonies how did you get a passport to put your visa into

If you have a criminal record it does not stop you from getting a passport!! It is up to each individual country to determine if they will let you enter their country though.

Hong Kong is part of China. ;)

No Visa is required for American Citizen to visit Hong Kong.

Sorry, didn't notice this was answered several times. Overall, I would think HAL could sell the cabin to someone else if this customer cannot get the VISA. I have obtained two visa for upcoming HAL cruise, lack Chinese Visa because HAL does not have information yet that China requires to process visa application. So, don't be too hard on OP, you have to have all of the data from HAL or you can't apply.

Confusion about when a passport is denied is very understandable. It's people who are charged with crimes, and not yet convicted who can be denied passports, to prevent them from running before the case is heard. Ditto someone who is on parole, or convicted but not yet committed to jail.

Those who have child support arrears over $5000 can be denied passports.

I know of one CC'er who falls in the latter category (no, not a regular on this forum) and cruises frequently under the closed loop cruise exception - a fact I could have done without knowing. (Yes, arrears can accumulate wrongfully, but the way to deal with that is a court application, not shutting your eyes and going on vacation.)

Why should HAL take a loss because one of their guests cannot get a Visa? :confused: They did nothing wrong. It isn't their responsibility to take the loss IMO

True, but if HAL sells that stateroom they have mitigated their damages and no loss of revenue is realized. HAL keeps OP's money and gets the new cruiser's money....sounds like double dipping to me.

I have no doubt the cruise contract covers HAL in this instance and they will come out smelling like roses. Follow the money can sometimes come across as seemingly unethical business practices. I'm aware that is SOP in the hospitality industry. If one books a hotel room on, say, Hotwire and is a no show, the hotel gets to keep their money and sell the room to another guest. It's just the way it is, but it's unethical IMO.

I think HAL sells a cruise protection policy of some sort with a cancel for any reason clause.

Thats a really good investment if you have four felonies.:)

Or even one.

Four felonies. That is going to follow the OP around anytime he has to apply for a visa and I would be interested to know which country would admit him. If he goes to Canada and they run him through their database he should be denied entrance. Thats the way it is.

One time is a mistake, two is a coincidence, three...well. What immigration officer would risk his or her career admitting him?

The United States is a very lovely country. Buy a Chevy and explore it.;)

Smooth motoring...

I agree that multiple felonies will raise red flags....and rightly so. I have a relative who made a stupid choice and has one felony on his record. Now, he really wants to take a cruise to Alaska but I'm afraid he'll be denied boarding because of this. Is there any way to find out before booking a cruise if entry to Canada will be denied due to this infraction?

yes they do, each case is looked at individually and they take into consideration, what the offence was, what the sentence was, how much time has elapsed since the offences were committed.

Please remember that sometimes teenagers and older people makes a stupid mistake and although they deeply regret it they now have a criminal record. One evenings stupid mistake can result in more than one felony charge. This does not mean they are "Career criminals", but that they made an error in judgement, which will follow them around for the rest of their lives.

That is why each case is looked at individually.

Yes but it takes a lot of paperwork at it takes time and there are no guarantees.

I agree that multiple felonies will raise red flags....and rightly so. I have a relative who made a stupid choice and has one felony on his record. Now, he really wants to take a cruise to Alaska but I'm afraid he'll be denied boarding because of this. Is there any way to find out before booking a cruise if entry to Canada will be denied due to this infraction?

You can google it.

It seems to me he can get in with a Minister's permit or Rehabilitation certificate, but he will have to apply. It depends on the nature of the offense, when it was and who knows what else.

Its doable.

Good luck.

True, but if HAL sells that stateroom they have mitigated their damages and no loss of revenue is realized. HAL keeps OP's money and gets the new cruiser's money....sounds like double dipping to me.

I have no doubt the cruise contract covers HAL in this instance and they will come out smelling like roses. Follow the money can sometimes come across as seemingly unethical business practices. I'm aware that is SOP in the hospitality industry. If one books a hotel room on, say, Hotwire and is a no show, the hotel gets to keep their money and sell the room to another guest. It's just the way it is, but it's unethical IMO.

Not if they make the rules clear up front. The industry makes no effort to hide the facts and anyone knows what the cancellation penalties are if they read the information available to them.

If they 'pulled a fasty', that would be different but, IMO, that is not the case in this situation or others with cancellation after final payment.

If we don't like the policy, we know up front what it is and we don't have to book. JMO.........

Not if they make the rules clear up front. The industry makes no effort to hide the facts and anyone knows what the cancellation penalties are if they read the information available to them.

If they 'pulled a fasty', that would be different but, IMO, that is not the case in this situation or others with cancellation after final payment.

If we don't like the policy, we know up front what it is and we don't have to book. JMO.........

Yes, but you can't predict a denied visa and travel insurance won't cover it.

People just don't get it, no matter how many times it is explained. People just don't read the fine print. As soon as you get your confirmation from your cruise booking, you will be sent a document to print out with pages and pages of information. Yes, I sat down and read through them all twice. When I rebooked my cruise to take advantage of a price drop, I reread the documents in case something had changed.

As you say, the cancellation policy is very clear. I feel for the OP, but this is a very hard lesson in reading the fine print.

Why is that any of HAL's fault or problem?

The guest is responsible for their own travel documents. I see no reason HAL should make a refund if the guest cannot comply.

The guest should lose the money, not the cruise line.

(Sorry, OP.... I know that sounds harsh but it is just my opinion.

I don't see that HAL has done anything wrong for which they should be making a refund.)

They can and will resell a stateroom if anyone cancels after final payment. If anyone cancels for an insured reason they would receive compensation from their insurance company. The only exception is that if someone has HAL's protection policy they would receive most back directly from HAL.

If HAL made exceptions than anyone could get a refund who did not get a Visa in time.

Did anyone answer whether the OP could still go on the cruise and not get off in the Chinese ports?

If not, how is that different than someone from Israel (or has an Israeli stamp) that is not allowed into certain countries and just stays on the ship in those ports (unless HAL denies a cruise to Israeli citizens who as one example go on a World cruise that has a couple of ports where they are not welcome).

Why is that any of HAL's fault or problem?

The guest is responsible for their own travel documents. I see no reason HAL should make a refund if the guest cannot comply.

The guest should lose the money, not the cruise line.

(Sorry, OP.... I know that sounds harsh but it is just my opinion.

I don't see that HAL has done anything wrong for which they should be making a refund.)

I agree. Why should HAL take a $20,000 - $70,000 per person loss in the case of a World Cruise because someone paid a deposit and did not verify if they could get the proper documents prior to final payment being due.

We personally do not purchase it but perhaps OP is an example of a good reason to purchase HAL's cancellation coverage which permits cancellation for any reason and (most) of your money is refunded.

OP knew about these felonies and could have considered purchasing that insurance. He would not have been denied the ability to do so. He chose not to.

Why should HAL be responsible for any refund?

yes they do, each case is looked at individually and they take into consideration, what the offence was, what the sentence was, how much time has elapsed since the offences were committed.

Please remember that sometimes teenagers and older people makes a stupid mistake and although they deeply regret it they now have a criminal record. One evenings stupid mistake can result in more than one felony charge. This does not mean they are "Career criminals", but that they made an error in judgement, which will follow them around for the rest of their lives.

That is why each case is looked at individually.

Actually you are blocked if you have ANY kind of record for a very long times and it takes more than a simple application say that you are sorry that you were caught with a bit of weed thirty years ago! That is OK, it is the right of the United States to make their own laws... just as the Chinese can. Youngsters here in Bermuda are told time and time again to be caareful what they do becaause a silly mistake can result in a lifetime ban from entering the USA.

Stephen

Actually you are blocked if you have ANY kind of record for a very long times and it takes more than a simple application say that you are sorry that you were caught with a bit of weed thirty years ago! That is OK, it is the right of the United States to make their own laws... just as the Chinese can. Youngsters here in Bermuda are told time and time again to be caareful what they do becaause a silly mistake can result in a lifetime ban from entering the USA.

Stephen

You may not be blocked as you say forever. George W. Bush was able to successfully apply for a waiver to go to Canada. (impaired driving) :eek:

Stephen

I agree with you, your initial application for a Visa will be denied. To have any chance of receiving a visa you can apply for a "waiver of ineligibility" you will have to apply on line then appear for an interview in person at an embassy with supporting documentation that you now of good moral character and full documentation of your criminal history from the courts. there are of course no guarantees that you will be granted one but it is possible and all curcumstances are taken into consideration.

As I stated before although the op has four felonies it does not mean he did four seperate offences on four separate occasions, they may well all have been all at the same time.

I think the Op is looking for some constructive advice and help not judgement.

remember the saying " there but for the grace of God go I" How many of you can honestly say that you have not broken the law in some way.

Common sense must prevail when granting Visas for travel. As someone mentioned earlier an X president of the USA could well have been denied a Visa into Canada...that makes no sense, he clearly is not a threat to their national security.

Actually, you can reasonably predict whether or not a visa application will be denied. Call or write and ask the consulate or embassy of the country requiring the visa. Or look at their regulations on-line, if available.

That China requires a visa is not exactly hidden. That passengers boarding the ship need all appropriate visas isn't either. Waiting until past the cut-off date for refunds is a personal decision.

Had I any felony conviction in my past, I wouldn't dream of putting my money at risk without doing some first-hand research about what is and isn't required beforehand.

At the same time, I am genuinely sorry for the OP.

Archived