ice skate on RCI ships

Yes you can bring your own skates. Many times there is a special time where people who bring their own skates start off the session. Everyone must wear a helmet, knee and elbow pads are available, but optional.

Thanks. How long for each session? How many time each weak?

Can we stay on the ship if the shore excursion is not interesting? Will ice skate open? What can we do on the ship?

My recollection is that sessions are 30 - 45 minutes long. I also seem to recall that the ice rink is only open to public sessions on sea days. You'll have to check your Cruise Compass for exact details, but also know that the performers have scheduled practice time, and additionally Studio B is also used for other events, where they cover the ice with a floor. So, the public skates are few and far between.

Have fun. :)

On the May 22nd cruise on the Allure there was a total of 21 sessions for skating. None were held while we were in port. There usually run 3-5 sessions in a row and unlike many other RCI ships there was no advanced skate times for people who brought their own skates. I brought my own skates and had a great time. I prefer the skates to the gym.

It can get crowded, especially the days after the skating show. If you like to skate and have the space/weight in your luggage available take em, otherwise use the ships skates. And as someone else mentioned you have to wear a helmet. Some of the new skaters take some really nasty falls. We had a person knock themselves out after they fell face first onto the ice. It happened on day 1 or day 2 and we had our first alpha alpha alpha.

You can skate in a circle and that's about it. ;)

Yep. On Mariner last year, we observed a man who was obviously an excellent skater, maybe a hockey player because he was skating very fast. I have no doubt it made some others nervous. I think the staff should have had a word with him, it was that precarious a situation.

Can we bring hockey sticks for a quick game of shinney :)

No...but my son checked my husband into the boards ;)

Sessions are not held while in port and they are 45 minutes long.

Sea days (esp the last one for us), seemed to have quite a few in a row.

Be forewarned, they get crowded! We went about 1/2 hr early for the 3:15 session and it was already full! So, we signed up for the next (and last) session at 4:15. You can sign up and leave and come back at your time.

but...IF you sign up, please try to skate most of the time. We saw some kids only skate about 10-15 minutes and then leave. But, since they were full when they started, they didn't (couldn't?) let anymore skaters in. Was sad for the people who wanted to skate, but because they were full when they started, were turned away...even though there WAS room after those people left :(

Go early to sign up!

(there is video of our skating session in our day at Labadee in my trip report review...link in sig)

The skating time is short, maybe a few times ( few hours) the entire week. You can bring your skates if you want, but most do not bother and will use the ship provided skates.

M

Not always true. We have seen many times listed. We have seen a few hours listed on several different days.

...but...IF you sign up, please try to skate most of the time. We saw some kids only skate about 10-15 minutes and then leave.

Well, to be fair, those skates are hard plastic, certainly not comfortable on the ankles for any length of time. :o I can't say I blame some for leaving 15 minutes later, but I do understand your frustration with the situation. Since it's an included activity, no one "lost any money" by leaving early.

but...IF you sign up, please try to skate most of the time. We saw some kids only skate about 10-15 minutes and then leave. But, since they were full when they started, they didn't (couldn't?) let anymore skaters in. Was sad for the people who wanted to skate, but because they were full when they started, were turned away...even though there WAS room after those people left :(

Well I know I'd like to try one time alas...there's not a lot of "ice skating" in San Antonio. I will definately try for as long as I possibly can. Depending on how long I can possibly stand up. I haven't done it in about 10 years...:eek:

A bit sorry to hear the time is limited. I figure it would be open most of the time...save for some "practice" time for the show people and perhaps the Znoobie time or whatever you call that thingy that shaves the ice.

Odd thought just popped in... thought it was sort of funny to think about driving a Zamboni on a ship that's moving up and down. At least Studio B is low and center. Then figured that due to small size they probably just use a walk behind type like the local Curling club uses. Right?

Speaking of skates (sort of) do they also provide them for the in-line track?

Odd thought just popped in... thought it was sort of funny to think about driving a Zamboni on a ship that's moving up and down. At least Studio B is low and center. Then figured that due to small size they probably just use a walk behind type like the local Curling club uses. Right?

Speaking of skates (sort of) do they also provide them for the in-line track?

It is actually the kind you drive. Not sure if it is a Zamboni but it is driven.

They have a mini-zamboni:

DSCN6743.jpg

DSCN6744.jpg

DSCN6745.jpg

DSCN6746.jpg

DSCN6748.jpg

I wondered out loud (near my husband) where they dumped the ice? He said, "Where do you think the ice in your drinks are comin' from?"

:mad: smarty pants!

and....in case anyone didn't know, they DO have lessons you can sign up for.

Yeah...the skates are awful. We actually were talking to one of the staff and he admitted that they hadn't been sharpened in forever.... My husband plays ice hockey...he wasn't going to drag his skates along for the little time he planned to be on the ice. He wished he had...those skates were awful!

Can you sign up for skating time from your TV in the stateroom or do you have to go down and sign up. I LOVE to ice skate but am wondering if this will be worth it. Wearing a helmet and now I hear the skates are not great. Maybe the bad skates should be brought to the attention of RCI.

The ice is choopy. The rink is crowded. It's very cool to be skaing on a cruise... and people who haven't skated in a long time - or ever - will have a thrill just being on skates. But if you are the kind of person who really knows how to skate and can feel the difference between good and bad skates, you are going to be pretty frusted anyway... regardless of the quality of skates.

Can you sign up for skating time from your TV in the stateroom or do you have to go down and sign up. I LOVE to ice skate but am wondering if this will be worth it. Wearing a helmet and now I hear the skates are not great. Maybe the bad skates should be brought to the attention of RCI.

No sign up required, at least when I have recently been aboard. My most recent trips have been TransAtlantics and there haven't been too many youngsters on the ship. I have had a complete blast re-learning to skate - the skates have been fine and the professional ice skaters are always around to offer advice and encouragement. The biggest disadvantage to me has been from skaters who are more experienced and whizz by in all directions, pay more attention to friends in the audiance area than to other skaters, and bump into you on almost every pass. Otherwise, it has been sooooo much fun. I hope you'll consider stopping by the rink to check it out !! :)

Yes you can bring your own skates. Many times there is a special time where people who bring their own skates start off the session. Everyone must wear a helmet, knee and elbow pads are available, but optional.
Yes, and long pants are required as well.

Oh yes, I forgot, long pants and socks. ;)

The ice skate rink seems a little bit small. Regarding to helmet, do they offer helmet for adult? Luckily, we could drive to the port, so no worry about over loading the suitcase.

Ice skates rink was one of my decision point of choosing Royal Caribbean. Now, I think I have to lower my expectation. But, it is still better than none. Our cruise is in Dec, just before the kids get off the school. I hope it will be better than all the big kids are out of school.

Archived