Drink Package was best cruise deal ever!

boyerd

We had no problem anywhere else on the ship. On our first evening in selet dining we explained to the sommelier that we had a premium package and what we would like. Every evening we would get our champagne and then choose our wine for the entree. You can get speciality coffees (like gaelic coffees) in all of the eating venues and of course cafe bacchio.

Enjoy

Angie

We took vitamin water off the ship for excursions

I love that idea! I never thought of taking VITAMIN water along... Duh!

I am an experienced X cruiser, but for the first time, I am considering the premium alcoholic pkg, only for the freedom and convenience. From past cruises, I know I can be budget-minded (drink-wise) and still have a great cruise, but I travel with my BF and this next cruise next week he is paying for both of us. (Yes, I am a lucky girl. :D) As he doesn't drink, I'd kinda like to prepay my drink package beforehand, so there's no case of him insisting he pay, and then me being more self-conscious of ordering 2 martinis, etc, and then perhaps feeling guilty when the bar tab starts climbing, or worse -- at the end of the cruise when it's in triple digits! :eek: He is always the gentleman, and often won't let me fetch my drink at the bar. In the past, whether he orders one drink or two, of course they just put both on his card (I never seem to need mine!).

I see some potential problems this time around, so here are my questions: If I have the package, but he does not, but he takes MY card to go get ME a drink, will they question him, as if he is trying to cheat and get a drink for himself on my package? Obviously if he orders a coke and a mohito, I guess he'd have to present two cards. Or, would they just give him both "free" looking at my card and not care? Also, plenty of times when we're out sunning, I'm drinking cocktails, but he's happy with his water bottle, he doesn't order anything -- just me.

Has anyone cruised with this example -- one has a pkg, the other doesn't but goes to get the first one a drink?

Edited by SugarLover

Sorry, but I am purposely separating my posts, so as not to be confusing, and to make it easier for someone to respond to either...

On our last cruise on the Millie, I ordered my cocktails as I always do -- a la carte, but my BF decided to try out the classic NA pkg (he does not drink). Whenever we were at a bar together, or the Cova cafe, or even dinner, we would both order something (espresso/coke etc for him but a cocktail/wine for me). For obvious practical reasons, but also being the gentleman he is, he always whipped out his card so the server could just put both our drinks on one chit. When he was presented with a bill, he just would sign away, and would drop an extra buck on there for tip. His eyesight close up isn't that good :o and I guess he never really looked at the tab...

The tv system was not working on board that week, so we never looked at the charges (plus it was a short cruise). Our bill hadn't been delivered under the door the last night as usual, so we stopped by the desk to pick up a hard copy on our way off the ship, and I stuffed it in my purse. Trying to figure out my average cruise consumption to determine whether or not to get the Premium Alco Pkg on our cruise next week... I just dug it out...When I looked closely at the beverage charges, out of the FIVE days, and ALL my wine and cocktails, we were billed for only 4 drinks all week! :D The bill was just a bunch of zeros - (in batches of two, obviously one for my drink and one for his), sprinkled with the occasional buck tip here and there!

The only thing I can figure out is that the servers must have thought since HE had the NA package, but I always ordered wine or booze, then I MUST have also had a package ( but an alcoholic pkg).... ???? A nice surprise for sure... but I am amazed at the consistency of it all... in the Cova, at the pool bar, in the MDR...all of those servers made the same assumption??? :confused: BF was always was the one to present his card... and those four lone drinks on the bill were those few times when I went to get a drink by myself with my card.

This next cruise when I get the full Premium Alcohol pkg, now I won't worry so much if I don't drink my quota each day to make the pkg worthwhile! I'll just be making up for the last cruise! ;)

I love that idea! I never thought of taking VITAMIN water along... Duh!

I am an experienced X cruiser, but for the first time, I am considering the premium alcoholic pkg, only for the freedom and convenience. From past cruises, I know I can be budget-minded (drink-wise) and still have a great cruise, but I travel with my BF and this next cruise next week he is paying for both of us. (Yes, I am a lucky girl. :D) As he doesn't drink, I'd kinda like to prepay my drink package beforehand, so there's no case of him insisting he pay, and then me being more self-conscious of ordering 2 martinis, etc, and then perhaps feeling guilty when the bar tab starts climbing, or worse -- at the end of the cruise when it's in triple digits! :eek: He is always the gentleman, and often won't let me fetch my drink at the bar. In the past, whether he orders one drink or two, of course they just put both on his card (I never seem to need mine!).

I see some potential problems this time around, so here are my questions: If I have the package, but he does not, but he takes MY card to go get ME a drink, will they question him, as if he is trying to cheat and get a drink for himself on my package? Obviously if he orders a coke and a mohito, I guess he'd have to present two cards. Or, would they just give him both "free" looking at my card and not care? Also, plenty of times when we're out sunning, I'm drinking cocktails, but he's happy with his water bottle, he doesn't order anything -- just me.

Has anyone cruised with this example -- one has a pkg, the other doesn't but goes to get the first one a drink?

As he doesn't drink alcohol, it might be an idea for him to get the Classic Non alcoholic package - that way you'll both have a package on your cards but catering to your different needs :)

As he doesn't drink alcohol, it might be an idea for him to get the Classic Non alcoholic package - that way you'll both have a package on your cards but catering to your different needs :)

Maybe I was too wordy... it's not what he wants or satisfying our different needs, but what happens when he goes to the bar and gets a cocktail with my card? It looks like we are trying to share a package, and cheat the system. I don't want to get in trouble, or appear to be dishonest -- or just simply create a hassle. Whether he has a package (or not) makes no difference whatsoever: It still looks like we are cheating.

He is a gentleman (which I applaud) and insists on getting me my drinks. Besides, it's so much nicer for me to be able to keep conversing with another passenger and not interrupt/leave to go to the bar, or stay in the sun up on the top deck far away from the bar, or not have to stand in line, or be in the cabin getting dressed, or not get up from my seat ... etc. etc. Get the picture?

Edited by SugarLover

Maybe I was too wordy... it's not what he wants or satisfying our different needs, but what happens when he goes to the bar and gets a cocktail with my card? It looks like we are trying to share a package, and cheat the system. I don't want to get in trouble, or appear to be dishonest -- or just simply create a hassle. Whether he has a package (or not) makes no difference whatsoever: It still looks like we are cheating.

quote]

Must say, if you both have a package, I'm not sure why any of the bar staff would think you are "sharing a package" and"cheating the system". He gets himself a non alcoholic drink with his card and he gets a (eg) martini on your card and takes it to you. :confused:

Just a few questions in regards to the Premiumn Pkg. How do they know you have it and did you say it does include Martini's ? Is the price for this on their website?

In most cases, there is an emblem or a specially designated symbol on your sea pass card, or room key, depending on what each line calls it.

Hi

Just got back from Eclipse and had the greatest time. Thank heavens for the drinks package. It worked out great and we had no difficulty anywhere on the ship except Murano! The sommellier there recommendations were all in excess of our per glass limit, and we had to insist on our own selections - he had to go to the dining room to get our champagne selection! Just stand your ground in there.

We had champagne every evening with our appetizer followed by wine with entree and sometimes a sweet wine or digestif to finish!

We took vitamin water off the ship for excursions, and afternoon tea with those lovely cakes in Bacchio is a treat!

Enjoy without even thinking of the budget!

Angie

On the Equinox now with 3 premium alcohol and one classic NA traveling together. They have been great everyplace we go. We generally order what we want and and turn over all 4 cards. No one has ever tried to push a higher priced wine and have always kept our wine full, or left the bottle for us. We have eaten at every restaurant on the ship so far and all have given us the same excellent treatment with the package. At most bars ( where I sit now ) they will usually refill without request too...

I have enjoyed reading this post and remembering all the wonderful drinks in the Molecular Bar. :D I just told my DH that we need to go on another cruise so I can order champagne with my starter every night and take a Vitamin water off the cruise every day! I thought I was doing good by taking a giant Evian. I feel like such a rookie!! ;)

Pam

I have to say, I think this is the best thread ever! Thanks again to the OP.

I have learned a ton and have decided that it's the premium drink package for us! Not so much that I think we'll drink so much that we'll send Celebrity into bankruptcy...but for the freedom and experimenting. I echo a recent poster when i say:

Cruise for 10th anniversary: $2,800

Cost of Premium Drink package for two for 1 week: ~$800.

A week of relaxing and not arguing about what to drink/how much or who blew up the bill....PRICELESS!

:D

we'll drink so much that we'll send Celebrity into bankruptcy...

Not much danger in the drinks dept- $35 for the cheapest bottle of wine!!!

I think those of us who are not yet Elite pay for the 'Happy Hr' drinks for those who are.

You are mostly going to drink $5.00 beers and $6.00 mixed drinks.

It seems like you really need to indulge everyday to justify the cost. We definitely drink but aren't one of those that makse sure there is always a drink in our hand. A latte is 3-4 dollars so no real impact there. I don't want to drink more either to justify the cost.

We are thinking about it, but also realize there are other things we can do with the money such as in port.

Maybe the extra few hundred is the downpayment for another cruise? Lol

I saw a program on CNBC where the cruise line indicated that to be profitable each guest needs to buy 4 drinks. I can see they are doing all right with this. Plus coffee, smoothies and water.... my goodness that's pure profit!

Again considering it because it seems so fun, but wondering?

Celebrity allows 2 bottles of wine per stateroom to be carried onboard. Luggage is scanned at departure. Even if your friend "gets away with" bringing unauthorized alcohol on board, she cannot bring it to public places, ie pool, bars, so it may be very awkward if you plan to drink socially. The drink prices are reasonable IMO, so no need to stress and try to sneak in your booze.

Kind of off topic:

Over all the cost of the drink prices are fairly reasonable, if you don't have to drink high end beverages all the time. In that case I am not sure any two people actually drink $700-800 dollars worth of drinks on any particular cruise. I think it can actually lead to feeling like you need to get your moneys worth so you drink as much as you can.

Even if one drinks on a consistent basis throughout the cruise, I can't imagine it is much more than $800.00 anyways.

Just my opinion. Even with my opinion it still interests me and I may actually do it.

Now to get back to the topic. The drinks aren't too bad so one's bill shouldn't be too disconcerting. I think its silly to sneak alcohol on to a large extent. And they allow you to bring two bottles of wine to your stateroom that you can enjoy on the verandah.

TO SUGARLOVER,

First off, I haven't cruised with Celebrity as of yet... BUT based on all that I've read here on the CC Boards about the various Beverage Packages... (and trust me I've done a ton of reading on this topic)

:D

It is perfectly fine for cabin mates say to get drinks for one another... as long as the person going to the Bar has both cards in hand.

It is my understanding, that when the Bartender swipes the cards, that it is quite apparent to them at the terminal (encoding... with your names, cabin number etc) that the cards are for two different pax on two different programs... so it could be Passenger A on an Classic or Premium Alcoholic Package, and Passenger B on a Classic or Premium Non-Alcoholic Package

OR in your case, perhaps your BF doesn't have a package at all but is doing Pay As You Go... in which case, I would suggest that he lets the Bartender know that his bevvy is the non-alcoholic one... so that the accounts are right, and he doesn't incur any extra costs for being the gentleman that he is and going to the bar for both of you... BTW sounds like a great guy :)

Hope this is helpful... enjoy your cruise !!

Cheers!

You are mostly going to drink $5.00 beers and $6.00 mixed drinks.

It seems like you really need to indulge everyday to justify the cost. We definitely drink but aren't one of those that makse sure there is always a drink in our hand. A latte is 3-4 dollars so no real impact there. I don't want to drink more either to justify the cost.

We are thinking about it, but also realize there are other things we can do with the money such as in port.

Maybe the extra few hundred is the downpayment for another cruise? Lol

I saw a program on CNBC where the cruise line indicated that to be profitable each guest needs to buy 4 drinks. I can see they are doing all right with this. Plus coffee, smoothies and water.... my goodness that's pure profit!

Again considering it because it seems so fun, but wondering?

TO TANELICUS (and anyone else considering a Drink Package)

As of today (December 1, 2011) on the Celebrity Website the Beverage Packages are listed as follows…

Classic Non-Alcoholic = $ 14 US / day + 15% Tip

Premium Non-Alcoholic = $ 18 US / day + 15% Tip

Classic Package (Alcohol) = $ 44 US / day + 15% Tip

Premium Package (Alcohol) = $ 54 US / day + 15% Tip

To do a proper evaluation of these Packages and whether they fit one or not, one truly needs to do the math !!

There is a listing of some of the prices of beverages on board Celebrity Ships in the STICKY at the top of this Board entitled *Evaluating a Beverage Package? Here is a Beverage List with prices as of mid 2010* = http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1243495

As well there are many links in recent months to Cruisers photos here on the Celebrity Boards that show further info in regards to Drink Menus (and pricing) for the venues on various ships.

To determine if they would be a good deal for you… include ALL the Beverages that you think you might consume in a day… (not just alcohol)

So for myself personally…

BREAKFAST

Premium Coffee or English Breakfast Tea = $ 4.00

Fresh Squeezed Juice = $ 2.50

DAY

Bottled Water ($ 2.50 x 2) = $ 5.00

LUNCH

Pop = $ 2.00

AFTERNOON REFRESHER

Premium Iced Coffee (no alcohol) = $ 4.00

COCKTAIL HOUR

Fancy Drink, Cocktail or Small Martini = $ 6.00 to $ 10.00

DINNER

Wine by the Glass ($ 8 x 2) = $ 16.00

Cappuccino = $ 4.00

So there you have it… a Total Bill of $ 45.50 + 15% Tip if bought a la carte… (vs the Classic Package which is $ 44.00 + 15% Tip)

In my example above…

I’ve had a grand total of 3 alcoholic drinks ... 1 Fancy Cocktail and 2 Glasses of Wine… and I haven’t gone booze crazy here… NO Mimosas or Bloody Marys for Breakfast, NO Beer or Wine with Lunch, NO multiple Martinis, not even a Nightcap.

And as for Days off the ship… the only item probably missed out upon would be the Pop at Lunch. (the Iced Coffee would be consumed when I reboard… as I heard from others just how refreshing they can be after a day out in the heat & sun)

As I personally, am considering a Premium Package for myself… then chances are higher that I will kick it up a notch and opt for a Fancy Martini, and Premium Wine with Dinner (both in the $ 10 to $ 12 range) … so my final total will be more in line with the $ 54 + 15% Tip that is the pricing for the Package

And gosh, if I do find I want to kick it up even a bit further (lol, I am on vacation afterall) and go beyond my 3 alcohol drinks per day… then I will be well over the amount that Celebrity charges for a Premium Alcohol Package.

As I’ve said before… every Cruiser really needs to take the time to do the math, and figure out what you are likely to consume in a day to see if sticking with a la carte or if a package makes more sense.

And of course, some Cruisers have mentioned they did the basic math, and decided just to go with the Package because of the fact that there was less of a hassle… they could budget for it... and purchase it up front. So far more convenient not to worry constantly about how much everything costs when on the ship and wanting to enjoy oneself (vs checking in on your account often while aboard... and worrying about the final bill when you go to leave the ship). Also no chits to sign when ordering drinks... just swipe your card & go.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Hi,

Drink packages would not work for us. We were happy to drink the Cafe tea, coffee & juices. On our Eclipse Cruise we also had the benefit of a kettle to make our own tea.

So for my wife & I …

BREAKFAST

English Breakfast Tea = $ 0.00

Dispensed Orange Juice = $ 0.0

DAY

Ships Water = $ 0.00

LUNCH

Tea or Coffee = $ 0.00

Maybe a beer = $ 10

AFTERNOON REFRESHER

Tea or Coffee = $ 0.00

Pre DINNER DRINK

In Cabin = 175ml glass of wine from bottles brought onto ship. In theory will last 4 days unless to decide to have two glasses, LOL

or

Vodka Tonic from stateroom bar setup - should get around 20 drinks per bottle (5ml measure) - initial cost $80 - average $4 per drink (compared to $7 bar price

DINNER

Bottle of wine average price $40 in MDR - $10 355ml karafe if eating in cafe

AFTER DINNER

2 Beers - $12

2 Vodkas - $14

The maximum we spent on any one day was $80, some days a lot less. We bought a number of drinks whilst we were off the ship

Drinks packages may suit some cruisers but not others.

Jim

Hi,

Drink packages would not work for us. We were happy to drink the Cafe tea, coffee & juices. On our Eclipse Cruise we also had the benefit of a kettle to make our own tea.

So for my wife & I …

The maximum we spent on any one day was $80, some days a lot less. We bought a number of drinks whilst we were off the ship

Drinks packages may suit some cruisers but not others.

Jim

TO JIMZGOLDFINCH,

Fair enough. As I said everyone needs to do their own math. And figure out what works for their own cruising style.

I notice though that you did spend on alcohol in other ways... with a Stateroom Bar Set Up (1 Litre Bottle*) for aprox $ 80 initially... and a Bottle of Wine with Dinner Daily (aprox $ 40) ... but then those items and in particular their "locations" might be a priority for some Cruisers but not others (I personally could never see myself with a Bar Set Up... I much prefer to have my Pre-Dinner Cocktail enjoying a more social atmosphere at the Martini Bar)

*NOTE - Your measures would have been 50 mls = 1.5 ounces (and not the 5 ml you mentioned... otherwise, you would have paid $ 80 for a 100 mls = 3 ounce bottle of gin) :eek:

As for your reference to a kettle on the Eclipse in your Cabin... anyone reading this should be aware that kettles are ONLY AVAILALBE on Celebrity cruises out of Southampton in the UK.

As well, some Cruisers mention that they cannot tolerate the FREE Water that is offered onboard (ship water) due to the high amount of sodium... so although they may not be bottled water drinkers at home, they are when cruising.

Additionally, Beverages delivered to one's Stateroom with Room Service are not FREE (even if one has a Beverage Package)... this also can impact costing.

As I said, everyone has a different cruising style. Only the Cruiser knows what configuration of purchasing beverages (with or without booze) will work for them

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB
EDIT to BOLD Kettle statement

TO JIMZGOLDFINCH,

Fair enough. As I said everyone needs to do their own math. And figure out what works for their own cruising style.

I notice though that you did spend on alcohol in other ways... with a Stateroom Bar Set Up (1 Litre Bottle*) for aprox $ 80 initially... and a Bottle of Wine with Dinner Daily (aprox $ 40) ... but then those items and in particular their "locations" might be a priority for some Cruisers but not others (I personally could never see myself with a Bar Set Up... I much prefer to have my Pre-Dinner Cocktail enjoying a more social atmosphere at the Martini Bar)

*NOTE - Your measures would have been 50 mls = 1.5 ounces (and not the 5 ml you mentioned... otherwise, you would have paid $ 80 for a 100 mls = 3 ounce bottle of gin) :eek:

Cheers!

Hi,

Thanks for the correction - should have been Centilitres (CLs) not Millilitres (MLs)!

Jim

TO JIMZGOLDFINCH,

As for your reference to a kettle on the Eclipse in your Cabin... anyone reading this should be aware that kettles are ONLY AVAILALBE on Celebrity cruises out of Southampton in the UK.

As well, some Cruisers mention that they cannot tolerate the FREE Water that is offered onboard (ship water) due to the high amount of sodium... so although they may not be bottled water drinkers at home, they are when cruising.

Additionally, Beverages delivered to one's Stateroom with Room Service are not FREE (even if one has a Beverage Package)... this also can impact costing.

As I said, everyone has a different cruising style. Only the Cruiser knows what configuration of purchasing beverages (with or without booze) will work for them

Cheers!

Thanks for your response to me. I think that between the two of us, we will spend on this cruise under $500.00 on alcohol. If we don't get the alcohol package(s) then I will most likely get the soda package.

With what you alluded to above. If I wanted to get a coke at 2AM, where would I get one that is not room service? A soda dispenser. My gut feeling is no. So if I am thirsty late at night, then I will have to pay for it, even with the package is what your telling me.

Edited by tanelicus

Well, we are just back from 12 nights on Silhouette and the jury is still out on the drink package for us. We had the classic packages (we drink more beer and vodka drinks than anything else) and it is close. We chose to keep track, my wife made up spreadsheets and we did our best to recall what we drank from the package each day. I'll report back with the exact findings. One thing for certain - if you don't drink quite a bit I don't think you'll find it a good deal. After 12-nights of open bar, I think my body is going through some sort of DTs. I'm on a long drying out period right now!!! :D

Some points that I know have been made but get asked often so I will update based on our experience on this cruise:

*Labadee. We were able to get drinks at Labadee off the package no problem. That is an added PLUS when you consider a package.

*Price overages. If the price is more than your package covers, you are charged the difference on the Premium package ONLY. Not on the Classic Package. If we wanted to buy a beer over $5 or drink over $8 we had to pay full price (so we didn't).

*Ordering two drinks. If the bartender knew you were going to sit there and drink both drinks (shot and beer perhaps?), he or she would give you both. If he didn't know then they might restrict you to one drink.

*Room Service and Room Fridge. Neither are covered in the package. I didn't quite understand the fridge thing (does a beer in the fridge cost more than a beer from the bar??), but once we asked and learned that we just never touched the stuff in there. Nice thing is there was extra room in the fridge and it was cold, so we could order and unopened coke or water and store in there for our own use in the cabin.

Alex

With what you alluded to above. If I wanted to get a coke at 2AM, where would I get one that is not room service? A soda dispenser. My gut feeling is no. So if I am thirsty late at night, then I will have to pay for it, even with the package is what your telling me.

I just mentioned this in my post above - get an unopened soda or water at a bar before you go up to your cabin and store in the fridge. It's there for you whenever you'd like it!!

Alex

Just my two cents, but based on my experience on the Millie and what I am hearing from others, the bar service leaves a lot to be desired. I asume that since they sell drink packages, it is not in their best interest to have a lot of bar servers. I have never been on a cruiseline that made it so hard to get a drink. We faced this problem every night at dinner (I did not have a drink package). Drinks that were ordered toward the beginning (you had to get the maitre d' to find a server for you every night) was not served until dinner was virtually (and sometimes, literally) over. If you like a cocktail with dinner, I would suggest that you stop and pick one up on your way to the dining room.

While on the pool deck, it was also virtually impossible to find a bar server. On RCI they are everywhere, but RCI does not offer a drink package, either. Just something to factor in. You will need to serve yourself.