Drink Package was best cruise deal ever!

boyerd

Just my two cents, but based on my experience on the Millie and what I am hearing from others, the bar service leaves a lot to be desired. I asume that since they sell drink packages, it is not in their best interest to have a lot of bar servers. I have never been on a cruiseline that made it so hard to get a drink. We faced this problem every night at dinner (I did not have a drink package). Drinks that were ordered toward the beginning (you had to get the maitre d' to find a server for you every night) was not served until dinner was virtually (and sometimes, literally) over. If you like a cocktail with dinner, I would suggest that you stop and pick one up on your way to the dining room.

While on the pool deck, it was also virtually impossible to find a bar server. On RCI they are everywhere, but RCI does not offer a drink package, either. Just something to factor in. You will need to serve yourself.

Excellent points and we noted this also. We got pretty good service at dinner (must just depend on the servers), but at the pool? If you're thirsty and there is no server in sight, go to the bar. We even tipped a few extra bucks here or there in the hope of getting some servers to stop by more often. Forget it, it rarely worked. On RCCL if you're needing a drink almost anywhere on board you can look up and there is sure to be a server within sight - they are everywhere!!!

I did some math based on the prices listed on the Sticky and with the knowledge I have of my DH's daily habits at home (coffee and water) and on vacation (umbrella drinks and premium scotch). I think he'd break even but be more apt to try things like the Molecular Bar if he had the Prem. Alky pkg. It will be purchased for the convenience aspect.

COFFEE:

My only issue would be the room service breakfast. Based on what I've read here coffee is extra? He'd have to take his card to the Cafe Al Bacio for coffee?

MIXED DRINKS:

I've read that some cruisers are experiencing poor drink service in restaurants and bars. What about potencies with mixed drinks? Anyone detect a difference between drinks made for ala carte or drink pkg mixed drinks?:confused:

thanks!

I did some math based on the prices listed on the Sticky and with the knowledge I have of my DH's daily habits at home (coffee and water) and on vacation (umbrella drinks and premium scotch). I think he'd break even but be more apt to try things like the Molecular Bar if he had the Prem. Alky pkg. It will be purchased for the convenience aspect.

COFFEE:

My only issue would be the room service breakfast. Based on what I've read here coffee is extra? He'd have to take his card to the Cafe Al Bacio for coffee?

MIXED DRINKS:

I've read that some cruisers are experiencing poor drink service in restaurants and bars. What about potencies with mixed drinks? Anyone detect a difference between drinks made for ala carte or drink pkg mixed drinks?:confused:

thanks!

I just wanted to say that I never had any issue with service having a package, whether it was at the bar, sitting by the pool or in the dining room. In fact, the sommeliers at dinner were even happy to run to the martini bar for my husband and get him a martini. We had no issue of having multiple drinks at dinner such as San Pelligrino, wine, martini, coffee, etc. They would even leave a bottle of wine by the table to keep our wine topped off. Out by the pool there was always someone coming by and asking if we wanted a refill.

Yes, if you order room service, you cannot get the cofee or anything else from the package and have it covered. You do have to go get your drinks. As has been mentioned if it's soda or water you can bring it back and put in your refrigerator for later.

The drinks are plenty strong. The bartenders do not differentiate between ala carte and those who have a package.

We've bought the premium package twice now and love it. I seriously thought about not getting one for myself this time since I don't drink that much alcohol, but I do like to enjoy myself and when I started adding up the bottled water, soda, martinis, margaritas, etc. it added up to over the cost of the package.

Edited by kitkat9438

I just wanted to say that I never had any issue with service having a package, . . . . .

Yes, if you order room service, you cannot get the coffee or anything else from the package and have it covered. . . . .

The drinks are plenty strong. The bartenders do not differentiate between ala carte and those who have a package.

We've bought the premium package twice now and love it. . . . . .

Thanks for your extremely helpful reply. This validates my decision to purchase the package.:D

Thanks for your extremely helpful reply. This validates my decision to purchase the package.:D

Thanks Kathy, your posts are always informative. I see we are sailing on the same day, different ships, we too are trying the premium packages and see this as a great enhancement of our cruise experience. Happy Sailings!

Edited by librarylady19

COFFEE:

My only issue would be the room service breakfast. Based on what I've read here coffee is extra? He'd have to take his card to the Cafe Al Bacio for coffee?...

Keep in mind the regular brewed coffee is included, with many other beverages, at no extra charge as part of your basic cruise fare (some people refer to these as 'free'). This regular coffee is what room service will deliver quickly in the morning by itself or as part of a breakfast order. Some people don't like the regular coffee (including me) while others think it is just fine. The extra cost coffee, which is also part of the packages, is all espresso based coffee and none of it is regular american style brewed/filter coffee. If you are in a suite then the basic types of premium, espresso based, coffee is also no-extra charge when delivered to your suite by your butler.

For a list of other no-extra charge beverages look at this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=28137836

Edited by Lsimon

Keep in mind the regular brewed coffee is included, with many other beverages, at no extra charge as part of your basic cruise fare (some people refer to these as 'free'). This regular coffee is what room service will deliver quickly in the morning by itself or as part of a breakfast order. Some people don't like the regular coffee (including me) while others think it is just fine. The extra cost coffee, which is also part of the packages, is all espresso based coffee and none of it is regular american style brewed/filter coffee. If you are in a suite then the basic types of premium, espresso based, coffee is also no-extra charge when delivered to your suite by your butler.

For a list of other no-extra charge beverages look at this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=28137836

Room service quickly in the morning delivery is perfect and he can give it a try. As for the espresso-based premium stuff; that's right up his alley so he should be satisfied. thanks for the link to the list!

Room service quickly in the morning delivery is perfect and he can give it a try. As for the espresso-based premium stuff; that's right up his alley so he should be satisfied. thanks for the link to the list!

Rooms service for regular coffee is pretty quick. I don't know about espresso type coffee as I've never had that from room service except for once when we were in a sky suite years ago.

Full breakfast orders do take a long time if you order them on demand, but are delivered pretty timely if you order the night before with a hang tag. But espresso type coffee isn't on that tag so it might come from a different place - only the regular no-extra charge coffee is on the hang tag breakfast menu.

Rooms service for regular coffee is pretty quick. I don't know about espresso type coffee as I've never had that from room service except for once when we were in a sky suite years ago.

Full breakfast orders do take a long time if you order them on demand, but are delivered pretty timely if you order the night before with a hang tag. But espresso type coffee isn't on that tag so it might come from a different place - only the regular no-extra charge coffee is on the hang tag breakfast menu.

Oh, yeah, sorry. I knew that about the espresso-based coffee and room service. I was just saying that he's happy drinking that stuff any time of day. And we do plan on using room service for breakfast and ordering the night before. No worries there. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I am interested in the premium nonalcoholic drink package for our cruise on the Silhouette 12/24/11. I know you can get the coffee drinks on 5, is there anywhere else on the ship this is available? We usually have breakfast at the buffet. We would need to go to 5 for coffee and then upstairs for breakfast? Are the lines very long on 5?

Are the smoothies at the Aquaspa cafe included with the package?

Thank you for any information.

I am interested in the premium nonalcoholic drink package for our cruise on the Silhouette 12/24/11. I know you can get the coffee drinks on 5, is there anywhere else on the ship this is available? We usually have breakfast at the buffet. We would need to go to 5 for coffee and then upstairs for breakfast? Are the lines very long on 5?

We had the premium non alcohol package on Equinox in the summer. We found that the espresso based drinks were the best at Cafe el Bacio on 5, but you could also get a latte (and a smoothie or freshly squeezed juice) at the bar as you enter the buffet. We also used the package to have an espresso drink in the dining room after dinner.

It was definitely worth it :)

Edited by uktraveller

Hi there,

Thanks for this information. We've posted a question asking if the drinks package is worhtwhile and this is the first thing I've seen that puts everything into perspective. We're not big drinker but on holidays we like to induldge and cocktails is one thing on our list. We've bought the classic package as we thought this would cover most drinks. We like basic cocktails such as Margherita, diaquiris, mai tai's etc - will the classic cover this. If not can we opt to pay the additional extra couple of $.

Congratualtions on your post.

We seldom waited and then only for about 4 minutes.

Hi there,

Thanks for this information. We've posted a question asking if the drinks package is worhtwhile and this is the first thing I've seen that puts everything into perspective. We're not big drinker but on holidays we like to induldge and cocktails is one thing on our list. We've bought the classic package as we thought this would cover most drinks. We like basic cocktails such as Margherita, diaquiris, mai tai's etc - will the classic cover this. If not can we opt to pay the additional extra couple of $.

Congratualtions on your post.

TO SKIPTON CBR,

Based on my research (haven't cruised as of yet... we go on the Solstice in January)... in that both Mr Sloop and I are heavily into wine as a hobby, so this topic is very important to us... I can tell you the following...

The Classic Alcohol Package will cover "the basics" when it comes to alcohol (so no premium alcohol, premium wines, beers or fancy cocktails, martinis, molecular bar items, or highend liqueurs)... the cut-off is at $ 8 per item be it an alcoholic beverage or not. Above that amount and you will be charged for the whole cost of the item (ie order a $ 10 glass of wine, and your account will be charged $ 10)

The Premium Alcohol Package covers ANY drinks up to $ 12 per item... any thing above that amount and you will be charged the difference. (ie So if you find say a Champagne by the glass at $ 15 per glass, your account will be charged the difference of $ 5)

Info on pricing of individual items can be found on the STICKY at the top of this Board ( http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1243495 )... as well several Cruisers have recently taken / posted photos of the Wine, Drink & Bar Menus from various venues onboard ships they have cruised on... the photos show the various items availalbe where on the ship, as well as current pricing (you can use the SEARCH function to find them... or just follow along on the Board for awhile, as this is a topic often asked by those new to Celebrity... so sure someone will point out the links, or someone else will post their own photos as they return from their cruises with this type of info as well)

NOTE - Currently the wines at Cellar Masters that are in the Enomatic Machines ARE NOT INCLUDED in any of the Beverage Packages... these are high-end wines (normally only available by the bottle) ... BUT, you can however purchase a card from Cellar Masters that will allow you to enjoy the wines there by the glass using their specialized card (my understanding is that cards for the machines can be gotten in various dollar amounts... ie $ 50, $ 100)

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I think the whole reasoning behind a drinks package lies with your motivation to drink and explore or to hold back.

On our first couple of cruises we analyzed the costs of what we would drink and hold back here and there, or decide to have a drink at specific events and keep our costs down.

Then we went for a change of tact. If we had a drinks package, we could have a drink at those sociable drinking events but we could indulge (responsibly) with no extra cost.

There is no right or wrong, its all how you approach drinks (alcohol and non)

My husband and I purchased the Premium Package for each of us on our last cruise. We were excited about not having to sign any slips and being able to try many different drinks.

The cruise length was 7 days and for the first 4 we hit it pretty hard ( coffee; martini's; wine; bottled water and mid afternoon pool drinks) and deffinitely got our moneys worth. But By day 5 I was slowing down. After the cruise we crunched the numbers and found that while my husband drank enough to cover the package, I fell short by about $100.00.

We absolutely love the freedom of buying this package and we have looked at buying it for our upcoming cruise, but since the next one is a 14 days and the cost would be about $1,736. ($62.00 per day each). We are afraid we would lose money on it. Another thing we have considered is the next cruise is pretty port intensive which would limit our consumption also.

We would most likely buy the package again on a 7 day cruise or shorter because it was a great experience.

Hi everyone, Apologies if this was covered already but I couldn't find the answer. We're planning to buy the Premium Alcohol package and would prefer to wait till boarding to use a credit. If we purchase after we board in Fort Lauderdale, will tax be added? Looks like it’s just the package price plus gratuity if I pre-purchase online, so I want to be sure.

Also, does anyone have a picture of the SeaPass with the sticker? I’m curious how obvious it looks on the card.

Thanks!

Hi everyone, Apologies if this was covered already but I couldn't find the answer. We're planning to buy the Premium Alcohol package and would prefer to wait till boarding to use a credit. If we purchase after we board in Fort Lauderdale, will tax be added? Looks like it’s just the package price plus gratuity if I pre-purchase online, so I want to be sure.

Also, does anyone have a picture of the SeaPass with the sticker? I’m curious how obvious it looks on the card.

Thanks!

I have not personally purchased a package on board, but I am confident that you will not need to pay any tax. I do not recall reading any posts about being charge tax in Fort Lauderdale.

Celebrity takes you card and scans it each time you have a drink so I am not sure that the actually marking is really important. My card was marked since I prepurchased the package. I never needed to sign anything. I have used the package on three cruises and you can review your account on the TV. I did notice a few time where they charged me for a drink, but they immediately credited my account, so I suspect that they have a check and balance system set up. I checked it daily just to make sure that I was not being charged.

Enjoy our cruise and your package.

My husband and I purchased the Premium Package for each of us on our last cruise. We were excited about not having to sign any slips and being able to try many different drinks.

The cruise length was 7 days and for the first 4 we hit it pretty hard ( coffee; martini's; wine; bottled water and mid afternoon pool drinks) and deffinitely got our moneys worth. But By day 5 I was slowing down. After the cruise we crunched the numbers and found that while my husband drank enough to cover the package, I fell short by about $100.00.

We absolutely love the freedom of buying this package and we have looked at buying it for our upcoming cruise, but since the next one is a 14 days and the cost would be about $1,736. ($62.00 per day each). We are afraid we would lose money on it. Another thing we have considered is the next cruise is pretty port intensive which would limit our consumption also.

We would most likely buy the package again on a 7 day cruise or shorter because it was a great experience.

Wow, I could have written the above myself, except we have not gone on our 7-day cruise yet . My DH and I are going on a 7-day to Alaska this May. We have never bought the drink package before, but decided to try it this time. The reason is, we have two sea days and two cruising days. We have been to all of the ports before and we are not sure if we will even exit the ship. I think my DH will, as your DH did, get his money's worth. I am more in your category. We also have a 14-day cruise booked for next September. We have five sea days and the rest is pretty port intensive. The expense of $62 per day for 14 days is pretty high. I think we would be better off not getting the package. I would be interested in knowing what you decide for your next 14-day cruise and how it goes. Good luck!

GiGiAnn

Nice to get all that info. Will be on the Silouhette very soon and i got the Classic package.

I hope everything is going to go as i was just reading. My wife does not drink beside the occasionnal glass of wine so we did not purchassed the package for her..will pay for her drink when it will occur.

Could not see if there is bottled water in the package on celebrity's website?

Can we get unopened can of beer to bring in the room for a little drink while dressing up for dinner?

Very nice forum with a lot of info. First cruise with X after 4with rccl and 1 with princess. We are a couple in the late 30 's and we are a little anxious about the crowd we will find aboard one of the celebrity ship.... Rccl always did a good job entertaining us and also matching us with tablemates in our age range!! Hope it will be the same...

I keep reading the forum, just love to know more and more.

We just returned from our cruise last week and both had the premium alcohol package. It was wonderful! I'm not sure we totally got our money's worth with four port days but the convenience of it made it well worth the price. We could just get a drink, they swiped our card and we were off. We loved not having to wait and sign a slip.

Nice to get all that info. Will be on the Silouhette very soon and i got the Classic package.

I hope everything is going to go as i was just reading. My wife does not drink beside the occasionnal glass of wine so we did not purchassed the package for her..will pay for her drink when it will occur.

Could not see if there is bottled water in the package on celebrity's website?

Can we get unopened can of beer to bring in the room for a little drink while dressing up for dinner?

Very nice forum with a lot of info. First cruise with X after 4with rccl and 1 with princess. We are a couple in the late 30 's and we are a little anxious about the crowd we will find aboard one of the celebrity ship.... Rccl always did a good job entertaining us and also matching us with tablemates in our age range!! Hope it will be the same...

I keep reading the forum, just love to know more and more.

You can get bottles of water with the package. I would order bottled water with our meals as well as picking them up before we left the ship.

You can also get any drinks you want and take them back to your room. We found ourselves often getting the specialty coffees and wine to take back and enjoy on our balcony.

Also I wouldn't worry about the crowd. Me and my partner are both in our 20's (me late, and him mid) and we never felt out of place. Everyone made us feel so welcomed and it was a blast to hang out with a variety of people we had met through our roll call as well as others we met on the ship. We even found other people our age just waiting in line to check in.

Edited by prim8keeper

We just returned from our cruise last week and both had the premium alcohol package. It was wonderful! I'm not sure we totally got our money's worth with four port days but the convenience of it made it well worth the price. We could just get a drink, they swiped our card and we were off. We loved not having to wait and sign a slip.

The convenience is the main reason I bought the premium non-alcohol package for my last cruise on X. While I know i didn't drink enough to cover the cost, I felt the trade off was worth it. I didn't have the worry of "am i having/spending too much?" and didnt ever have to sign anything or carry around a receipt.

And I'm NOT the type to needlessly spend money, but sometimes time is money...i want to spend my vacation without stress, and not having the inconvenience of signing daily, several times a day, just to have a coca cola, is worth it to me :-)

Oh and age wise, I'm in my late 30s (lord - turning 38 lol) and my boyfriend is in his early 50s (yes he's very lucky lol) and neither of us had any issues with makin' friends on board. matter of fact, we met one couple that lived in our area and we've seen them once since the cruise!

thank you PRIME8KEEPER and MARIAWOMAN for your answers.. I am happy to know that Celebrity is getting people from ale ages!!! lol

I was reading on some reviews that the line was more towards the over 60 group and more... I am having fun withe everyone and even made good friends with older people over the years while cruising but i remember my only cruise on PRINCESS where we were th exception onboard and felt it!!!

As for the beverage package i am very happy that i took it.. It's going to be a big difference..

I think that CELEBRITY has something there that will draw more people and it seems like it is giving the line an advantage after reading the complete post..

Good for them and for us..

My parents took a cruise 2 years ago aboard a ship called BLEU DE FRANCE in europe and it was a real ALL INCLUSIVE vacation package and they just loved it.. This ship belongs to a RCCL branch i think and is an older and smaller ship giving service mostly to europe people.. Beeing french canadians and speaking moderate english my parents were really happy on that french/ international speaking ship..

will give you all more details on our cruise and the beverage package when we get back....

Good info on this thread. We're new to Celebrity, and I was happy to see that they have drink packages until I saw the costs. My wife and I are going on a 7-Day Caribbean on Solstice with 3 port days and 3 sea days; from experience I know we hit the bar pretty hard the first few days and then tone it down a bit as the week drags on. I like espresso drinks and Heineken, and my wife drinks lots of bottled water and wine. We bought a soda card on our last cruise (different line) and were glad we did. We also spent $400 on alcohol, and 3-4 bottles of water a day.

I suppose I just have a difficult time believing we would come even close to spending $800 on drinks over a week. I do realize convenience is a major benefit, as is the ability to try new drinks I might not otherwise. I'm just afraid my inner number-cruncher will come out and try to analyze everything. Their recent price hike didn't help.

So is there anywhere the drink packages are not honored, other than room service?

And conversely, are Coke/Diet Coke and orange juice available free anywhere?

When you get bottled water, is it an actual bottle or is it poured from a larger container, such as on an airline?

Thanks!