4J cabin...an inside with a window

okwriter

Please make sure the 4J's you book at the front of the ship are not handicapped cabins. :D

The particular cabin on the Triumph is not a handicapped cabin and not a modified cabin, according to Carnival's site. But your point is a good one! ;)

OKWriter... I am so glad you started this thread! We are planning on booking a spring break cruise with our daughter, and her family on the Conquest. We've been on the ship before, we've been to the ports before, we're mainly going to spend time with our granddaughters. I'm looking at the 4J's... we have quite a selection actually. I am thinking of 9202, or we could drop down to deck 7.

Since it's a spring break cruise, I was a little concerned about kids accessing the area outside our cabin. But I think most of the spring breakers will be younger kids (not college), so hopefully it won't be too obnoxious.

We had the exact room you're staying in actually in October and we LOVED it. There was hardly ever anyone out on the balcony, it became one of our favorite places to hang out because it was so peaceful, although it was very windy..... It was great being so close to lido too, hungry at 2 am? no need to climb stairs!

68055_166917109990645_100000170718089_618566_3115241_n.jpg

The vanity part

72529_166917126657310_100000170718089_618567_6004609_n.jpg

Bathroom

67079_166917149990641_100000170718089_618568_1122804_n.jpg

The best part.... the "private" balcony that was only steps away!

68048_166919639990392_100000170718089_618636_2022605_n.jpg

Link to my review with the pics

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1290359

The only downsides that we found were that the room was relatively small, we had cruised in an ov before and expected it to be the same size. But it wasn't a big deal because we spent so much time out of the room and it was still very nice. The other downside was that yes, you could see through the window. During the day, you couldn't because of the tinting, but at night you could see straight in if the lights were on. But you can just close the curtains and it's no big deal!

Oh and as far as movement goes, it did move, but I honestly can't say whether it was because of being all the way forward or if it was being so high up. There was one night where it was really rocking and we walked all over the ship and the only thing that made it better was going down a few floors. But regardless it was well worth it and we would definitely book it again.

We had the exact room you're staying in actually in October and we LOVED it. There was hardly ever anyone out on the balcony, it became one of our favorite places to hang out because it was so peaceful, although it was very windy..... It was great being so close to lido too, hungry at 2 am? no need to climb stairs!

These are awesome pics, Jess! Which ship and which cabin is this?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
*Jess* ~ loved your review and all the pics. LOL... I can't believe all the suitcases and shoes you took haha.

I need my shoes!!! lol thanks though!

These are awesome pics, Jess! Which ship and which cabin is this?

Thanks!

It's Triumph, 9201

We had 1002 on the CONQUEST last February. With Mom in a wheelchair, it was very nice!!! But I know there are some of those cabins which are not HC.

To see in from the deck in front of you, either you must have the light on and the day needs to be overcast or cloudy -- or the peeper must cup their hands and obviously be peeking!!! Not just a glance in.

Noise... never heard anything at all!!! The forward deck is really a secret and the doors to the deck are locked at sunset and unlocked at sunrise... (when the weather is good and the crew remembers...)

The floor space was great... a bit more room, but this could be because it was an HC room...

Oh, thank you, EVERYONE, for your comments! Now I'm even more excited! And I found some pictures on cruiselinerooms dot com. (Can we post that URL here?) It looks to be a good size room (9202), and I love that "semi-private balcony." :D

I will definitely take pictures and post them when we get back. I haven't read anything yet that would scare me off...but then, I've loved every cruise so far!

Since two of us on the November trip have cruised and two haven't, we'll probably let the newbies have the balcony. ;)

The pics of 9202 - Triumph are the ones I uploaded from our cruise last January. This cabin was fantastic. We really enjoyed it. I'm hooked on the 4J's, preferrably on Lido. We are booked in 9201 on Conquest for 2-5-2012 and are really looking "forward" to it again! The only thing about 9202,is the door to the outside is closeby, but didn't really bother us that much.I would booked this cabin again in a heartbeat. :D

We were on the Liberty Feb 2010. We were in room 7204 which is a 4 J. A lot smaller than an OV room but we loved it. All our friends came up to the front for sail away. We are booked again on the Liberty Feb 2012, exact same room. So enjoy your room. Loved the rocking at night!!

The doors weren't locked on Victory. That was my problem with the cabin. I'm an early riser, but there was door slamming very, very early (or maybe it was really, really late).

Thing is, the door slam is totally unnecessary. All anyone has to do is close one door before opening the 2nd. That eliminate the 'wind tunnel' effect. The head of my bed was closest to the door, and the wall would literally shake.

Victory 7205

2540737300102755439S500x500Q85.jpg

2049281610102755439S500x500Q85.jpg

2225478270102755439S500x500Q85.jpg

2779297220102755439S500x500Q85.jpg

I made it perfectly clear to my PVP that we would happily move if the HC modified cabin was needed.

Again, I'd probably book a 4J again, but not one of the "end" cabins, mostly because of the door slamming stuff. I sail with DD (at least I used to, now i'm solo), so having the separate beds wasn't an issue.

And, I'll tell ya! I got plenty of exercise on that cruise! Besides being a port every day, it is a long walk from the cabin to the buffet! Every little bit helps counteract those calories!

Sadly, our plans have changed and I cancelled our 4J cabin. Four of us were going (two in a balcony and two in a nearby 4J), and one of the girls has developed a medical condition that is going to require at least one surgery. Between the time off and her medical bills, she simply can't go... So now three of us are going to squeeze into the balcony.

I still hope to experience one of these 4J cabins someday!

Hi all

We have stayed in 4J's on the Liberty, Freedom and Glory, on the 6th & 7th floors. They were not handicap rooms. We love the location. All our family friends were scattered throughout the ships and always ended up with us on the front balcony for sail-aways. It's a great bargain. I think "movement" on a ship is different for each person and weather scenario. We never noticed more movement in those rooms, than in other places on the ship. Yes, you do have to do more walking, but with all the food around, we can use the extra few steps. Enjoy!

Horray!!! You and your wife are my new heroes!

We just got back. I'll get the pictures up later but here is what I know about the cabin.

It was about 13X13 or maybe a little bigger. The bed and nightstands took up 3/8 of the room to the left as you walked in the door. The closets took up the other 1/8 directly to the left of the door. The other half of the room was split equally between the bathroom and the "living" area. There was a table/desk with some drawers for clothes and a chair. The chair was in such a way that you couldn't really sit in it to use the desk. The mini-bar was right behind the chair and the safe was on top of that. There was also a small table near the window. It was a small cabin but there was plenty of room for me and my wife. The window had a ledge with room for a lot of stuff and looked directly out at the center of the ship and the forward camera that shows up on the ship's TV.

Going to Mexico the deck outside was very nice. Not much wind to speak of and there was hardly ever anyone out there. Coming home was a different story as it was VERY windy out there the entire time. We only went out a couple of times heading north and it wasn't too pleasant.

Let me know if you have any questions about the cabin and I'll get the picture up in a day or so.

Mark

We just got back. I'll get the pictures up later but here is what I know about the cabin.

It was about 13X13 or maybe a little bigger. The bed and nightstands took up 3/8 of the room to the left as you walked in the door. The closets took up the other 1/8 directly to the left of the door. The other half of the room was split equally between the bathroom and the "living" area. There was a table/desk with some drawers for clothes and a chair. The chair was in such a way that you couldn't really sit in it to use the desk. The mini-bar was right behind the chair and the safe was on top of that. There was also a small table near the window. It was a small cabin but there was plenty of room for me and my wife. The window had a ledge with room for a lot of stuff and looked directly out at the center of the ship and the forward camera that shows up on the ship's TV.

Going to Mexico the deck outside was very nice. Not much wind to speak of and there was hardly ever anyone out there. Coming home was a different story as it was VERY windy out there the entire time. We only went out a couple of times heading north and it wasn't too pleasant.

Let me know if you have any questions about the cabin and I'll get the picture up in a day or so.

Mark

Wow, Mark, welcome back and thanks for this description! I almost feel like I'm there! I look forward to seeing your photos when you have a chance.:)

Please make sure the 4J's you book at the front of the ship are not handicapped cabins. These cabins are the only ones that fit a wheelchair. If these cabins are not available people in wheelchairs can not cruise. Carnival says they move able bodied people out of these cabins but they rarely do this. So please be careful. Either check under special needs on Carnival.com to find which cabins are HC or call Carnival. All of us who are handicapped "Thank you"

Umbarger I'm pleased to report that it does happen that able bodied are moved. I booked our upcoming September trip way back in December, all that was available for a wheelchair at that stage was an inside. I got a phone call from special needs a week after booking saying that they were pleased to offer us an upgrade (free) to the 4J as they had moved out somebody who didn't require it. So, yes, you do need to be aware that if you don't require the HC room you may very well be moved.

This is my husbands first cruise, so he doesn't know what he's missing not having a balcony. I'm not sure how much I'm going to love the room as I tend to spend hours on the balcony, but I promise to write a review and post some pics after we get back

<snip, snip>

Mark

Don't forget us, my hero Mark! I can't wait to see your pictures! :p

Thanks so much!

I was put in a HC modified cabin once (two next door, 4As on Elation). Had no idea until we boarded and noticed that the doors were wider and there was no sill going into the bathrooms.

We had not requested them and had I realized we were put there, I would've told the Carnival person to put us elsewhere.

This was before my Cruise Critic days, so I had no idea. I felt terrible that we were taking up those cabins and hoped that no one who truly needed the access had been denied.

Anyway, our 4J was smaller than a typical IS cabin, because of the layout and the shape. Plus, I think the bathroom was larger because it had a tub instead of a shower.

We had quite a lot of movement that first night leaving San Juan, and it was always VERY windy out there while at sea. Naturally, when we were coming into port, it was great, and not windy because of the slower speed.

Since it looks like I'll be sailing solo (all my friends seem to think they need to take their vacations with their husbands or family :p ), I imagine I'll have to stick to 1As, since we're now charged double rates. :mad:

Archived