Cooler to Carry Ashore

mlsully

I thought I read in a post on here that someone got a soft sided cooler (from the ship?) and was able to fill it with ice and take water to the shore when stopping on the islands. I am specifically asking about Freedom of the Seas. Related, can you take your bottled water off the ship to drink on the shore? Do you take the towels off the ship for the beach and carry them around?

I always pack my little soft side cooler that folds flat in my luggage. I also take plastic ziplock bags.

My bottled water goes in the cooler, with ice in the ziplock bags on top (much neater than melting water everywhere).

Then we pick up sandwiches to add to that for a picnic lunch as we tour

the island.

We usually rent a car in the Caymans and Cozumel, enjoying our self guided tour and lunch. Works for me! :)

Wherever you are going (unless it is a private island owned by the cruise line), you can buy bottled water in port way cheaper than onboard ship. Personally, I wouldn't take a cooler with ice and bottled water into port. For me, it would be a huge thing to lug it all around. Even two bottles in hubby's backpack can get heavy. Just sayin'. :)

But if you want to do this, I'm sure you could buy a soft-sided cooler at home for way less than anything you could buy on the ship and yes you can take your water bottle off the ship. You may be asked to dump it when you return to the ship, however. This varies from ship to ship, and from day to day, even.

I always pack my little soft side cooler that folds flat in my luggage. I also take plastic ziplock bags.

My bottled water goes in the cooler, with ice in the ziplock bags on top (much neater than melting water everywhere).

Then we pick up sandwiches to add to that for a picnic lunch as we tour

the island.

We usually rent a car in the Caymans and Cozumel, enjoying our self guided tour and lunch. Works for me! :)

I hope you pick up those sandwiches in the port after you've left the ship.

Most ports have strict agricultural laws forbidding you to carry fresh food (meat, cheese, bread, fruit, etc) off the ship. You risk a heavy fine and perhaps even being arrested.

Most ports have strict agricultural laws forbidding you to carry fresh food (meat, cheese, bread, fruit, etc) off the ship. You risk a heavy fine and perhaps even being arrested.

Everyone does it, no big deal.

This is truly a big no,no! You can take a chance but you pay big time if you get caught.

No, not everyone does it, just ignorant self-centered people.

Would you smuggle fresh foods, meats, cheeses, etc back into the USA?

We'll see how big a deal it is when you are caught taking fresh foods off the ship and end up spending your day in port in a third-world police station where USA laws do not apply.

Agricultural laws are very serious, indeed. A very big deal. One seemingly harmless pathogen brought ashore in fresh food from the shop could destroy the entire crop of a small Caribbean island if it is a foreign pathogen to them.

Enjoy your stay in a foreign jail...oh don't expect your cruise/travel insurance to help much since you are committing a crime.

Folks who think Australia one of our closest allies would be lax on this kind of thing, think again, they are among the toughest I have seen when it comes to bringing any food items into their country.

No, not everyone does it, just ignorant self-centered people.

Would you smuggle fresh foods, meats, cheeses, etc back into the USA?

We'll see how big a deal it is when you are caught taking fresh foods off the ship and end up spending your day in port in a third-world police station where USA laws do not apply.

Agricultural laws are very serious, indeed. A very big deal. One seemingly harmless pathogen brought ashore in fresh food from the shop could destroy the entire crop of a small Caribbean island if it is a foreign pathogen to them.

If they really cared, they would be standing at the dock checking everyones bags.

I have never seen them.

Do you really think that a sandwich is going to spoil "prestine mexico"??

Yes, thank you Donna. We are also aware of that policy, as it is well stated in the rules but thanks for pointing it out for those who do not know. :)

Fortunately no jail time for me.... :eek: :rolleyes:

Archived