Is s St. John worth getting up early?

karinad

I know I must sound lazy, but I HATE getting up early! We've stopped in St. Thomas on the past 2 cruises we were on. We just really stuck around town. We got bored with shopping, and for some reason we never made it to any of the beaches. I guess we didn't feel it was worth it to get our bathing suite on and beach stuff together just for a couple hrs. We're on the EOS in Nov., and I was just checking out the excursions. We were never to St. John, and I think I read somewhere that it's better to go with the ships tours because of having to take the ferry. All the tours are around 8-8:30. One of them you have about 2 hrs. there. Is it worth it to get up early to go to St. John?

We've been to most of the usual caribbean islands, some on land vacations, alot on cruises. Is there anything special about this island?

Thanks!

ABSOLUTELY YES!! I'm sure this thread will be moved to the Ports of Call forum, click on 'Caribbean' and then 'St. Thomas/St. John. There are many threads there on getting over to St. John via ferry, and excursion discussions. St. John is very undeveloped and about 60% National Park, thanks to the Rockefeller family. And it has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. I've been back a few times since, but I fell in love with St. John during my three weeks on that special island back in the late 70s. Enjoy, you won't regret getting up bright and early to explore this hidden gem. ;)

I am very happy to see another person that likes to sleep late. I do too, on vacations and weekends. St. John is really beautiful. We did it on one of our St. Thomas visits, and it's about $50 p/p to do it on your own and back, and sort of a pain. Cab to ferry, ferry to St John, cab to beach....lunch...time at beach, cab back to pier, ferry and cab back to ship.

I think, if we go over again, we would probably do the ship excursion...because it doesn't cost much more, and it's simpler. :)

I am very happy to see another person that likes to sleep late. I do too, on vacations and weekends. St. John is really beautiful. We did it on one of our St. Thomas visits, and it's about $50 p/p to do it on your own and back, and sort of a pain. Cab to ferry, ferry to St John, cab to beach....lunch...time at beach, cab back to pier, ferry and cab back to ship.

I think, if we go over again, we would probably do the ship excursion...because it doesn't cost much more, and it's simpler. :)

Yes, there's got to be more of us out there that just don't like to get up early and get out. I had to get up early with going to work and taking care of my disabled daughter for the last 34 yrs. I lost my job 3 yrs. ago and my daughter died suddenly 2 yrs. ago. There's not alot now that makes me get up early. If it could be done after noon, that's when I do it! St. John does sound like it's worth getting up for! We just might have to take that tour!

Since you have never been to any of the beaches on STT, why not try one first. There are several nice ones. I love both STT and STJ. But I hate rushing around and being stressed when I am cruising. STJ is a gorgeous place, but the two hours that will be spent on transportation can be used relaxing on the beach sipping cocktails. What kind of beach experience do you want? We can help you figure out which STT beach meets your needs. Why get up early and possibly get cranky:p on your vacay?

I know I must sound lazy, but I HATE getting up early! We've stopped in St. Thomas on the past 2 cruises we were on. We just really stuck around town. We got bored with shopping, and for some reason we never made it to any of the beaches. I guess we didn't feel it was worth it to get our bathing suite on and beach stuff together just for a couple hrs. We're on the EOS in Nov., and I was just checking out the excursions. We were never to St. John, and I think I read somewhere that it's better to go with the ships tours because of having to take the ferry. All the tours are around 8-8:30. One of them you have about 2 hrs. there. Is it worth it to get up early to go to St. John?

We've been to most of the usual caribbean islands, some on land vacations, alot on cruises. Is there anything special about this island?

Thanks!

I am thinking the same, I've been to St Thomas, so wanted to head over to Trunk Bay on St Johns. I am booked on the Princess Excursion, but when looking into DIY, it seemed 6 different transit stops was a bit of a pain, and not much cheaper. The only thing was DIY gave us a little more time at Trunk Bay, and perhaps at Cruz Bay, but not much more.

It's true that DIY really doesn't save THAT much, but then you are on your own schedule, so you CAN sleep in a bit later. It really is not difficult to get to on your own - and you will LOVE LOVE LOVE St John. All of the beaches are great on St John, but cruisers really should stick to Trunk Bay or Cinnamon for ease in catching a taxi. There is NO beach on St Thomas that compares to either of them! Trunk is a National Park and has snorkeling gear to rent as well as beach chairs, food, drinks, and great bathroom facilities. It is definately worth the time to get there! Another good reason for DIY is that you can see what the weather is like that day and if it's not a beach day, stay in St Thomas and shop! We loved St John so much that we went back and stayed there for a week after a day trip while cruising. :)

Since you have never been to any of the beaches on STT, why not try one first. There are several nice ones. I love both STT and STJ. But I hate rushing around and being stressed when I am cruising. STJ is a gorgeous place, but the two hours that will be spent on transportation can be used relaxing on the beach sipping cocktails. What kind of beach experience do you want? We can help you figure out which STT beach meets your needs. Why get up early and possibly get cranky:p on your vacay?

I guess at this point, a couple hrs. on the beach and we're done! I hate a very busy beach that people are tripping over each other. I also like to see a bathroom that's clean and nice sand. Food and a bar is important, as we don't plan to spend the whole day. If it takes 2 hrs. to get there and back, and the beaches are the same, well....but if St. John is like being in a different world, a very different caribbean island, then maybe it's worth the trip. Also, is the ferry over one that you're able to move around in, get a drink, use the bathroom is needed? Thank you!

I guess at this point, a couple hrs. on the beach and we're done! I hate a very busy beach that people are tripping over each other. I also like to see a bathroom that's clean and nice sand. Food and a bar is important, as we don't plan to spend the whole day. If it takes 2 hrs. to get there and back, and the beaches are the same, well....but if St. John is like being in a different world, a very different caribbean island, then maybe it's worth the trip. Also, is the ferry over one that you're able to move around in, get a drink, use the bathroom is needed? Thank you!

The ferry ride from Red Hook to Cruz Bay takes all of 15 to 20 minutes and is a commuter vessel, so no refreshments, but I suppose they may have a bathroom. The ferry terminal at Red Hook does have a bar for while you wait and bathrooms. Trunk Bay does sell cocktails. The beach there is usually on the ten best lists for beaches in the world. Cruz Bay is also known as Love City and has a bit of a hippie vibe still to it. Laid back and friendly, but not a spotless luxurious resort town by any means. Hope this helps. :)

St. John sounds a little like our experience in Bora Bora, Tahiti. We were there about 15 yrs. ago. We loved it, but will probably never return. Getting there was a real adventure! We flew from Harrisburg, Pa. (we had an hr. drive to harrisburg from home). Harrisburg into LAX, LAX into Papeetee, Tahiti. From there we took a prop plane into Bora Bora. We had to get a ferry into the area we were staying, and then a roofless bus to the Club Med Resort. Very laid back, no noise, not many cars, no tv. at the resort, no entertainment. It was beautiful! The snorkeling was out of this world! No words could describe the water. We had gotten a freat price for the trip, less then what our yearly visit to Sandals in Jamaica was for a week. We would love to go back, but not likely. I would love to do a cruise there to see the other islands, but the rates are far to expensive. Maybe St. John would be the closest thing. I think we will make the effort. Hopefully, we'll have nice beach weather!

St. John sounds a little like our experience in Bora Bora, Tahiti.

Mmmm, Bora Bora is one of my top three island favorites... St. John and Moorea included. I once spent three weeks on St. John (a long time ago) and have been back a few times, and have sailed French Polynesia twice. Another favorite of mine (in the BVI) is Virgin Gorda. I hope you will experience St. John. ;)

Mmmm, Bora Bora is one of my top three island favorites... St. John and Moorea included. I once spent three weeks on St. John (a long time ago) and have been back a few times, and have sailed French Polynesia twice. Another favorite of mine (in the BVI) is Virgin Gorda. I hope you will experience St. John. ;)

I would LOVE to go to Moorea, but since that won't happen, I think we will go to St. John. I guess like Bora, Bora, is so different from Moorea, St. John would be so much different from St. Thomas with just a short boat ride away. I know we did regret not taking advantage of how close we were to getting to see that beautiful island!

I understand your concern. It DOES take time to get to St Johns and that does take away from Beach time....however the ferry ride over was quite fun for us and the views are just incredible. We did though have a nice sunny calm day for the ferry ride. I have been having this same debate...we are going back to St Thomas next Feb and I'm in a dilemma about wanting to take precious time away from being at the beach relaxing in order to get to St Johns.....we HAVE already been there....for someone who HASNT been there and is asking like you are...is it worth it? OMG YES....I wish I could afford to go there for a weeks stay. My husband and I have been all over the world and have seen many gorgeous spots in our lifetime but St Johns is THE most beautiful place I've ever been. ......EVER....There;s a beach on Tortola that comes in a close close second. I really do think its worth getting up early to see St Johns once in your lifetime......yikes I think I just made my decision to take the time and see it again!!!!

St. John sounds a little like our experience in Bora Bora, Tahiti. We were there about 15 yrs. ago. We loved it, but will probably never return. Getting there was a real adventure! We flew from Harrisburg, Pa. (we had an hr. drive to harrisburg from home). Harrisburg into LAX, LAX into Papeetee, Tahiti. From there we took a prop plane into Bora Bora. We had to get a ferry into the area we were staying, and then a roofless bus to the Club Med Resort. Very laid back, no noise, not many cars, no tv. at the resort, no entertainment. It was beautiful! The snorkeling was out of this world! No words could describe the water. We had gotten a freat price for the trip, less then what our yearly visit to Sandals in Jamaica was for a week. We would love to go back, but not likely. I would love to do a cruise there to see the other islands, but the rates are far to expensive. Maybe St. John would be the closest thing. I think we will make the effort. Hopefully, we'll have nice beach weather!

You may want to keep checking for cruise deals in the FP. They have some goods deals sometimes, but it is a real pain to fly there and back. We have cruise there three times and have our fourth and fifth scheduled. It is my favorite place. It is my favorite snorkeling place due to the shallow beautiful coral. A drift snorkel is hard to beat.

The snorkeling at Trunk bay will not be as nice as the FP, but IMO it is worth the trip to go to St. John. We are going there on our next stop at St. Thomas.

Good luck.

oh I just found an answer on the other thread...looks to be about 35 minutes in the early morning. They got in cab at 8:25 and got to Red Hook ferry pretty close to 9:00. But should probably allow 45 minutes or so I'd imagine.

Thanks CShell!

I'd much rather ride in my own taxi than the cattle bus Allure most likely has going but then again don't want to pay twice as much on my own.

Or worse yet, be left standing at the pier!

Yes, I think we have to get out of the bad habits that we got into a few years ago! It's nice to be lazy in the mornings, but getting up, and getting off the ship to see somewhere beautiful could only add to our memories of the cruise. We used to snorkle all the time, but got out of it. There were yrs. that we would go to the caribbean, and it was right after bad weather/hurricanes, so we really didn't see any clear water and beautiful fish. Maybe St. John would be the place to get into it again.

What exactly is the timeline with being transported there from the ships tours?

Archived