Dress Code in MDR

mlsully

I can't believe these threads keep showing up and go on and on and on and on............:rolleyes:

It's honestly because a sincere person asks a question without using the search function first (or doesn't know how to or that it should be done first), and the thread just grows and grows. When my DH first came onto the scene of discussion boards etc. he had no idea to use the Search or that he even should or that these things had been discussed a thousand times before.

As frustrating as it can be at times, I choose to give OP a break and politely answer the question. :)

I don't know where that pic was from buy I have been on multiple ships (voyager, freedom, and oasis class) and I have never seen such a sign. Also, if you look at RCCL's own published information re: dress codes on the link posted above it is very clearly stated that they are suggested guidelines and no where says no shorts are allowed. People are entitled to their opinions but why the meanness?
This sign is at the entrance to the MDR on most ships.In the daily paper you receive it clearly states no shorts in DR at dinner.Sorry that you consider it mean to point it out to people, just stating the obvious.

I can't believe these threads keep showing up and go on and on and on and on............:rolleyes:

I could care less what anyone wears to the MDR because we go there less every cruise. Same atmosphere, same bread, same salads, same average entree's..........get's very old doing that every night. We break it up now with 3 visits to Portofino and a couple to Windjammer on a 7 night cruise, and maybe even one night for burgers at JR's.:D

I'd say they keep showing up because new people honestly have questions then they grow because we all like putting our two cents in even if it's been discussed a zillion times. I'd say if someone is bothered or annoyed by dress code threads, it would be pretty easy to just not read them.

I don't think the fact that NO ONE from RCI stopping pax from going into the MDR constitutes their concession that the dress code doesn't apply to those pax.

It probably reflects their awareness that they would probably have a better time explaining the dress code to a grapefruit and they don't want to waste their breath.;)

I don't think the fact that NO ONE from RCI stopping pax from going into the MDR constitutes their concession that the dress code doesn't apply to those pax.

It probably reflects their awareness that they would probably have a better time explaining the dress code to a grapefruit and they don't want to waste their breath.;)

I DO. Well not exactly, I think it constitutes their concession that there is no dress code. And it probably reflects their awareness that their customers, or a substantial portion of them, don't want a formal dress code and to remain a viable business they have to change with their customers, even the grapefruits.

Those of you who follow dress code threads may have seen this before (again and again!) but as the first sentence says: irresistable!!!

Ah, dress code threads: irresistable!

Just my opinion but here goes. It's not a matter of rules; it's not a matter of guidelines; it's not a matter of enforcement. Actually it's a matter of manners!

Good manners dictate that one dresses as one's host requests. It's as simple as that. Certainly it's your cruise. Certainly the guideline is not enforced. Certainly it won't ruin my cruise if you dress as you wish. None of that changes the fact that to dress in a manner different from your host's request is rude and demonstrates one's selfish attitude toward one's host (and one's fellow travelers I might add). Unfortunately, rude behavior is rampant in today's society but I will always hope that things will change. Am I naive? Absolutely. Bon Voyage to all!

BESIDES the "rules are the rules" argument ....Could someone rational please tell me why another pax wearing shorts in the dining room upsets you? For the record, we've do not wear shorts in the MDR, however, I could care less if you wear shorts, it's your vacation too. As long as you look decent and don't have certain body parts sticking out, I'll ignore you and get on with my vacation. Please enlighten me...;)

BESIDES the "rules are the rules" argument ....Could someone rational please tell me why another pax wearing shorts in the dining room upsets you? For the record, we've do not wear shorts in the MDR, however, I could care less if you wear shorts, it's your vacation too. As long as you look decent and don't have certain body parts sticking out, I'll ignore you and get on with my vacation. Please enlighten me...;)

I do think it is proper to dress as requested. However, what someone else is wearing doesn't impact me in the least. I suspect that is the case with most people that offer the same opinion.

Now, caps are another matter. It really annoys me when someone comes into the dining room wearing a cap. Blame my dad. However, the cruiselines seem much more likely to request that caps be removed.

I do think it is proper to dress as requested. However, what someone else is wearing doesn't impact me in the least. I suspect that is the case with most people that offer the same opinion.

Now, caps are another matter. It really annoys me when someone comes into the dining room wearing a cap. Blame my dad. However, the cruiselines seem much more likely to request that caps be removed.

I totally agree with you. I think I personally just need to ignore these threads but I just get sucked in trying to figure out why people react the way they do about what I perceive as a trivial matter. (Really? Shorts in the dining room?) I sincerely understand the value of rules but in the big picture, this is a very small matter IMHO. Vacation is a time to have fun, relax, enjoy oneself, not be so consumed by little things.

I think it reflects that if a good portion of their pax can't read a simple sign and comprehend what the sign says that trying to communicate with them in complete sentences would be an exercise in futility.;)

Couldn't have put it better.Why don't people make the effort to dress up in the first place.

I am one who tends to dress up a little even on casual nights. But if others wear jeans or shorts? Well if I notice, ( generally I am too involved in my own table mates to notice) it REALLY doesn't bother me. Why would it?

I also want to note that some people look better in jeans and shorts than others look in dressy clothes. So are we to say, if you don't look good enough, no matter how dressed you are, you can't come in the MDR on formal night? Ahhhh....I think not.

Couldn't have put it better.Why don't people make the effort to dress up in the first place.

Maybe cause they're on vacation and they don't want to. I would say why don't people mind their own business, dress up if they want and not worry about what other people are doing. Once again, If I wear shorts to the MDR with a polo unless someone is there when the doors open (like I am) to they see me walk in, the ONLY way they know I have shorts on is if they are creeping under my table.

I am one who tends to dress up a little even on casual nights. But if others wear jeans or shorts? Well if I notice, ( generally I am too involved in my own table mates to notice) it REALLY doesn't bother me. Why would it?

I also want to note that some people look better in jeans and shorts than others look in dressy clothes. So are we to say, if you don't look good enough, no matter how dressed you are, you can't come in the MDR on formal night? Ahhhh....I think not.

I like this post a lot. I have said many times on here that I struggle to get my arms around why anyone is even looking at what I'm wearing. I, too, am way to involved with my tablemates and food and wine to worry about other people. Believe me even a guy in tank top, gym shorts and flip flops wouldn't bother me. The second part of this is so true. I can't stand the people who tell others to go somewhere else to dine if they don't want to follow the "rules". Who died and made them king. I have awesome legs and a great tan and think I look great in shorts, maybe better than some guys in a suit but then who am I to judge. I say MDR ,come as you are eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we will do it again.

Maybe cause they're on vacation and they don't want to. I would say why don't people mind their own business, dress up if they want and not worry about what other people are doing. Once again, If I wear shorts to the MDR with a polo unless someone is there when the doors open (like I am) to they see me walk in, the ONLY way they know I have shorts on is if they are creeping under my table.

I could be wrong about this but...when people are expressing an opinion about dress codes, it is often in more general terms. And, I suspect, not limited to cruise ships. Personally, I feel strongly that when there is a published dress code, it should be followed. That is how I was raised and that is how I raised my children.

However, I like to believe that I also taught and was taught balance. Just because I personally have strong feelings about the subject, I do not think it is appropriate to judge or criticize others. I likely wouldn't notice how others dress and if I did, I would hope that I would be polite enough not to judge.

If you feel it is appropriate to wear shorts to the dining room, you are entitled to your opinion. However, if someone states they believe the dress code should be followed, they are entitled to their opinion also. It doesn't mean that by wearing shorts you are offending or bothering them. Or even that they would notice for that matter.

keyword- proper

keyword=effort

There is a sign and I'm sure someone has a photo saying "no shorts." I couldn't care less whether people show up in shorts or a ballgown. We honor the dress code as a matter of respecting the request by the cruiseline. There are a few bothersome things that I have seen. There was a group who kept wearing these big, pink, pouffy shower caps. They honored the dress code, which clearly didn't exclude shower caps, but I've never seen that before on a ship and I found it distracting. The other new trend seems to be a LOT of body parts sticking out that aren't prohibited by the dress code either. Most of the body parts sticking out prominently seem to be from young ladies with a slim figure, but a few have been on older ladies who should know better or have a spouse or friend to tell them better...age appropriate, please. I'm usually too busy trying to decide which item on the menu I want to try. :p

Maybe I'm oversimplifying, but it seems no different then choosing between Ruth's Chris and Applebees'. Ruth's Chris is an upscale dining experience, and part of what makes it an 'occasion' is that the patrons are dressed nicely. It's all part of the atmosphere. If you go there, out of respect to the restaurant staff that works to create that atmosphere, and to your fellow patrons who went to the effort of dressing nicely, you dress nicely as well. If you want the food and service quality of an upscale restaurant, you make the effort.

If you don't feel like getting all fancied up that night, you go to Applebees for your steak.

I dunno, it doesn't seem like that big a deal to put on a pair of long pants. Shorts, pants.....it's the same amount of effort to put either one on. :p

Maybe I'm oversimplifying, but it seems no different then choosing between Ruth's Chris and Applebees'. Ruth's Chris is an upscale dining experience, and part of what makes it an 'occasion' is that the patrons are dressed nicely. It's all part of the atmosphere. If you go there, out of respect to the restaurant staff that works to create that atmosphere, and to your fellow patrons who went to the effort of dressing nicely, you dress nicely as well. If you want the food and service quality of an upscale restaurant, you make the effort.

If you don't feel like getting all fancied up that night, you go to Applebees for your steak.

I dunno, it doesn't seem like that big a deal to put on a pair of long pants. Shorts, pants.....it's the same amount of effort to put either one on. :p

I do go to Applebee's for my steak. It's called the main dining room. Ruth's Chris would be Chops. I don't consider the mdr an upscale dining venue when they parade the kids in pirate costumes and interrupt the diners to hear some nonsense the camp directors taught them. But what it boils down to is I'm too occupied with looking at my plate to care what someone else is wearing. It's all about the food, not the pants, to me.

I do go to Applebee's for my steak. It's called the main dining room. Ruth's Chris would be Chops. I don't consider the mdr an upscale dining venue when they parade the kids in pirate costumes and interrupt the diners to hear some nonsense the camp directors taught them. But what it boils down to is I'm too occupied with looking at my plate to care what someone else is wearing. It's all about the food, not the pants, to me.

You hit the nail on the head!

Not that there is anything wrong with the food in the MDR, I just don't think it deserves all the fuss that people make when they see something casual.

Add in the kids singing, and the poor waiters singing and dancing a couple of times a week it is not a formal or elegant venue!

I don't know where that pic was from buy I have been on multiple ships (voyager, freedom, and oasis class) and I have never seen such a sign. Also, if you look at RCCL's own published information re: dress codes on the link posted above it is very clearly stated that they are suggested guidelines and no where says no shorts are allowed. People are entitled to their opinions but why the meanness?

That dress code sign was sitting on the hostess' counter as you entered the Isaac's dining room on deck 4 on the Freedom of the Seas the week of August 28th. I did not post the sign but I saw it. I also didn't read the entire sign as it is so frustrating to me that people ignore the dress code. I am not a stuffy person. I do, however, believe in following the rules. Those who have the attitude that everyone can do their own thing should not be on a cruise where there are dress codes. After all, what is the big deal to put on a pair of trousers vs a pair of shorts. Or a polo shirt instead of a "wife beater". And don't even get me started with hats on men. I was raised where a gentlemen did not wear a hat in doors and most especially not at the dinner table. The staff is concerned about offending passengers who dress inappopriately. What about those following the rules. Is anyone concerned about offending us? Oh, and I do believe that somwhere, I don't remember where, it does say "no shorts at dinner"

That dress code sign was sitting on the hostess' counter as you entered the Isaac's dining room on deck 4 on the Freedom of the Seas the week of August 28th. I did not post the sign but I saw it. I also didn't read the entire sign as it is so frustrating to me that people ignore the dress code. I am not a stuffy person. I do, however, believe in following the rules. Those who have the attitude that everyone can do their own thing should not be on a cruise where there are dress codes. After all, what is the big deal to put on a pair of trousers vs a pair of shorts. Or a polo shirt instead of a "wife beater". And don't even get me started with hats on men. I was raised where a gentlemen did not wear a hat in doors and most especially not at the dinner table. The staff is concerned about offending passengers who dress inappopriately. What about those following the rules. Is anyone concerned about offending us? Oh, and I do believe that somwhere, I don't remember where, it does say "no shorts at dinner"

I'm not defending 'offenders' but offering up an opinion...

When questioning why someone else is wearing something keep this in mind. They could be a first time cruiser who never thought there was a dress code. Not every person who takes a cruise reads every single piece of literature sent to them and every word on the website. I do, but I'm a compulsive over planner. RCL and other cruise lines are trying to attract people who thought they would never take a cruise. They are attracting people who would normally book a week at a beach resort or Universal Studios. Universal Studios certainly doesn't have a dress code that I know of. I remember telling a superior of mine at work after he booked his first cruise this summer about the dress suggestions. His response was, "what do you mean there is a dress code? It is 2011 not 1911."

Also, I know the daily news letter (Compass, Patters, etc..) lists the daily dress suggestion. But I'm sure there are a number of people who toss it aside thinking it just another piece of junk mail left there with the Spa specials, photo specials, etc...

I certainly agree some of the attire that people have witnessed is inappropriate no matter where they are, land restaurant, resort, cruise, etc... But I have never let it bother me, I'm too busy enjoying my vacation.

My kids, boy 11 and girl 8, have cruised RCCL many times with me. We are not a dress-up family as a rule and although I will put on my little black dress and the bling on formal nights, I do not enforce formal wear with my kids. My daughter wears a nice sundress in the dining room and for my son, nice Dockers shorts or khakis and a nice polo shirt/short-sleeved dress shirt have always been fine. They look nice, they are neat and covered up and know how to behave onboard and I've never encountered a problem with anyone about it.

Archived