Dress Code in MDR

mlsully

We have booked FOS next summer. We have two adults and two children ages 13 and 9 that will be going with us. We planned on taking our summer "attire" with us and bringing two dressier outfits for the formal nights.

I am reading a few posts and questioning what we can wear in the main dining room for dinner. What is acceptable for adults? For two children ages 13 and 9? I was assuming nice shorts and shirts or summer dresses and capris. Not tanks or gym type shorts...

We have booked FOS next summer. We have two adults and two children ages 13 and 9 that will be going with us. We planned on taking our summer "attire" with us and bringing two dressier outfits for the formal nights.

I am reading a few posts and questioning what we can wear in the main dining room for dinner. What is acceptable for adults? For two children ages 13 and 9? I was assuming nice shorts and shirts or summer dresses and capris. Not tanks or gym type shorts...

The Cruise Compass and signage will tell you that shorts are not permitted in the dining room during dinner. (fine at lunch & breakfast).

In fact, lots of people ignore this and are not turned away from the dining room.

The Cruise Compass and signage will tell you that shorts are not permitted in the dining room during dinner. (fine at lunch & breakfast).

In fact, lots of people ignore this and are not turned away from the dining room.

And I think that they should be turned away.

We just returned this past Sunday from the FOS and I couldn't believe how some people were dressed in the dining room. There are rules for a reason and, if it's a posted rule then it should be enforced.

We have a 9 year old son and I just didn't imagine I'd have to pack a pair of dress pants for every night at dinner assuming we eat in MDR every night. The girls can wear capris or dresses so no big deal. I know my hubby would prefer to wear his nice khaki shorts with an nice polo....

Personally, I don't care how people dress in the MDR, if you want to wear shorts, doesn't bother me. Having said that, Most people will probably be in paints for dinner in the MDR.

If you don't feel like dressing up, there's always the windjammer

Regarding our nine year old...You won't need to bring a pair for each night. Assuming he'll only wear the paints for the two hours of dinner, just bring a couple pair and wear them more than once.

On non-formal nights I have personally worn dress shorts and a golf shirt in the MDR and not been bothered.

Our last cruise had 2 formal nights. (we always choose to dress up for those) On our second formal night, a gentleman at the table next to us sat down to dinner in cargo shorts, a t-shirt, flip flops and a visor....and no one asked him to leave.

As someone already stated, I too have no problem with what someone wears to the MDR, we are all there on vacation to have a good time, be comfortable and enjoy ourselves.

I can only assume that the reason the dress code is not enforced is that (and this is only my opinion) none of the staff wants to ruffle any feathers. They are very dependent on tips for their livelihood plus the survey RCL asks passengers to complete demands crew members maintain an "excellent" rating with passengers or they could see themselves demoted for their next contract which results in lost income for them.

When I believe someone is seriously askjing about the dress code, I whip out my standard answer (which actually gets poo-poo'ed here a lot, I'm afraid) - the information on the official RCI website is clear. I will give you two links, the first one stating that parents are requested to follow the guidelines for their children.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

As some have stated you may see shorts in the main dining room. There is most likely going to be a sign at the front door, which both your children can read, stating no short pants are permitted at dinner. This info will also be printed in your daily newsletter, the Cruise Compass.

For the kids, capris and sundresses are perfectly acceptable.

Have fun. :)

We have a 9 year old son and I just didn't imagine I'd have to pack a pair of dress pants for every night at dinner assuming we eat in MDR every night. The girls can wear capris or dresses so no big deal. I know my hubby would prefer to wear his nice khaki shorts with an nice polo....

Before anyone yells at me for telling you to break "the rules", I am speaking to you from my experiences on quite a few different RCI ships. There are people on here who will tell you that they have seen people turned away for wearing shorts, I have NEVER seen that, but I have no reason to doubt them. I can tell you for sure, I have worn nice shorts and a polo shirt many times to dinner in the MDR on many different ships and have NEVER had a word said to me, by anyone. When our 3 kids were younger, their first cruise they were 9,11, and 11, they wore shorts almost every night to dinner with no problem. These are my first hand observations. Tell your hubby wear his khaki shorts and a nice polo and he'll be fine as will the kids.

What do the younger kids wear on formal nights??

Mine wore the same things they wore on non formal nights. When my youngest graduated high school, we took a group of 10 kids age 17 - 21 on a cruise with the only rule being they had to be at dinner every night in the MDR so we could check on everyone. Some dressed up some didn't, all had fun, none had any problems. My son, on formal night, wore a polo with nice shorts. Also I almost always wear flip flops to dinner. Vacation and shoes don't go together for me unless they're fitness shoes. Yes, I have worn a tux and yes I have worn one with flip flops. Again, my experiences, not telling anyone what to do just what I have done and seen.

I'm all for dressing for dinner,it adds to the occasion and it shows that people do make the effort.Those who turn up in shorts I feel should be asked to change or eat in the Windjammer.

And yes I suppose there have been many of these dress code threads before:rolleyes:

I'm all for dressing for dinner,it adds to the occasion and it shows that people do make the effort.Those who turn up in shorts I feel should be asked to change or eat in the Windjammer.

Yup..there have bene plenty of "dress code" threads.

Fact of the matter is that RCI no longer has a "dress code". Used to be if someone came to the MDR dressed in shorts..flip flops..wife beater shirts..etc. they were in the minority and were sent back to their cabin to change.

I have seen this happen and usually the pax will leave and return dressed for dinner. For the past few years we have personally witnessed pax, who were asked to change, verbally assault the MDR staff and cause huge scenes. Their mode of dress wasn't the big issue. Their attitude at being asked to change was. So MDR staff stopped confronting pax and I don't blame them.

So consequently you will see just about anything in the MDR because no one will be turned away. Despite the lovely decor in the MDR you might just picture yourself in a pub or a diner.:)

If you put lipstick on a pig..it is still a pig.;)

Personally if you don,t want to play by the rules don't join up. P&O quite rightly enforce dress codes. We are on Voyager next week and I will be quite upset to see men or women wearing shorts at dinner in mdr. This will be our first time on a non P&O ship so will be an interesting comparison. We have done 34+ cruises with P&O.

Personally if you don,t want to play by the rules don't join up. P&O quite rightly enforce dress codes. We are on Voyager next week and I will be quite upset to see men or women wearing shorts at dinner in mdr. This will be our first time on a non P&O ship so will be an interesting comparison. We have done 34+ cruises with P&O.

Hope you never have to be on a cruise with me. I would hate to upset anyone. But you really wouldn't see my legs unless you were hanging out under my table, would you?

My boys have always worn bermuda-type dress shorts and a golf shirt with boat shoes for dinner on non-formal nights for many cruises and there were perfectly appropriate. My opinion is that this is very handsome and preppy on a boy and more "formal" than a t shirt and jeans or sport shorts. We have never had a problem or seen anyone turned away for dress at the MDR.

I travel with kids (now older) and we just bring a couple of pairs of khakis for the week. I just have a hard time walking past a sign that specifically requests "no shorts" wearing shorts.

As others have mentioned, you won't likely be turned away wearing shorts.

I will say that I don't recall noticing anyone in shorts for dinner. Based on what people report, I'm sure they are there. But in my experience, they are in the minority.

Before anyone yells at me for telling you to break "the rules", I am speaking to you from my experiences on quite a few different RCI ships. There are people on here who will tell you that they have seen people turned away for wearing shorts, I have NEVER seen that, but I have no reason to doubt them. I can tell you for sure, I have worn nice shorts and a polo shirt many times to dinner in the MDR on many different ships and have NEVER had a word said to me, by anyone. When our 3 kids were younger, their first cruise they were 9,11, and 11, they wore shorts almost every night to dinner with no problem. These are my first hand observations. Tell your hubby wear his khaki shorts and a nice polo and he'll be fine as will the kids.
Did you read the sign in the post above? Maybe you didn't see it, maybe you ignored it or maybe you don't believe it applies to you.The WJ is always an option for shorts,etc.:rolleyes:

Did you read the sign in the post above? Maybe you didn't see it, maybe you ignored it or maybe you don't believe it applies to you.The WJ is always an option for shorts,etc.:rolleyes:

I have never seen the sign but wouldn't matter if I did. When the WJ provides the same level of service as the MDR, I'll be glad to dine there. Until then, I'll continue to dine in the MDR dressed as I see fit and since NO ONE that works for RCI has ever stopped me or said a word to me obviously they believe it doesn't apply to me as well.

I don't know where that pic was from buy I have been on multiple ships (voyager, freedom, and oasis class) and I have never seen such a sign. Also, if you look at RCCL's own published information re: dress codes on the link posted above it is very clearly stated that they are suggested guidelines and no where says no shorts are allowed. People are entitled to their opinions but why the meanness?

I don't really care what anyone else does. However, for my sons, when it becomes too much trouble to put on a pair of pants, they stop cruising at my expense. Fortunately, it would never occur to them to wear a cap or tank top to dinner so that isn't an issue!

I can't believe these threads keep showing up and go on and on and on and on............:rolleyes:

I could care less what anyone wears to the MDR because we go there less every cruise. Same atmosphere, same bread, same salads, same average entree's..........get's very old doing that every night. We break it up now with 3 visits to Portofino and a couple to Windjammer on a 7 night cruise, and maybe even one night for burgers at JR's.:D

I don't know where that pic was from buy I have been on multiple ships (voyager, freedom, and oasis class) and I have never seen such a sign. Also, if you look at RCCL's own published information re: dress codes on the link posted above it is very clearly stated that they are suggested guidelines and no where says no shorts are allowed. People are entitled to their opinions but why the meanness?

Dress code threads are all about meanness :). Aren't they?

I'm not bothered by what others wear, as long as their clothes are clean and covers what should be covered.;)

My kids are adults now, but when they were younger, I was more likely to honor that sign on the dining room entrance. I just couldn't in good conscience read that sign and then say to my kids "eh, ignore the sign, we can do what we want." I guess it's a parenting thing and one of those moments to try to teach my kids that they should show respect and it won't kill them to follow rules.

But as far as how other's dress, it doesn't bother me.

Archived