Dress Code in MDR

mlsully

I or my husband have never worn shorts in a main dining room or a specialty restaurant. We cruise on NCL just as much as we cruise on RCCL and still will not wear shorts on NCL where it is welcomed to wear shorts in one of their two main dining rooms. Shorts are also welcome in NCL's specialty restaurants. Having said that, it does not bother me in the least that folks wears nice shorts in the main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

The evening DH and I dined in 150 Central Park, the most exclusive dining venue on Oasis of the Seas, I was upset with the couple that was seated next to us. They were finishing their meal when we were seated. I was fine until they both got up from the table to leave. Both wearing shorts and flip flops, honestly, they looked pretty pathetic. 150 Central Park is such a beautiful venue, I don't know how anyone could possibly feel comfortable in shorts and flip flops in such a lovely and exclusive atmosphere. I was more upset with the restaurant staff who seated them.

Dress code has to be the absolutely top topic on CC.

I prefer to enjoy my dinner in a nice restaurant when everyone is dressed to fit the ambience.

However.......times have changed. People have come to believe that they're entitled to dress, drive, park their cars, and in general do anything the way that suits them. Nothing we can do about it. Nobody can teach anyone else refined behavior, nor should they. You either have it or you don't.

What I'm wondering is how soon are bathing suits and bare feet going to show up in the MDR. As the envelope gets pushed, standards are going to be lowered till people will complain that the bathing suit wearer wore a Speedo, not that they wore a bathing suit in the first place. Ridiculous? Wait for it.

I prefer to enjoy my dinner in a nice restaurant when everyone is dressed to fit the ambience.

However.......times have changed. People have come to believe that they're entitled to dress, drive, park their cars, and in general do anything the way that suits them. Nothing we can do about it. Nobody can teach anyone else refined behavior, nor should they. You either have it or you don't.

What I'm wondering is how soon are bathing suits and bare feet going to show up in the MDR. As the envelope gets pushed, standards are going to be lowered till people will complain that the bathing suit wearer wore a Speedo, not that they wore a bathing suit in the first place. Ridiculous? Wait for it.

Yes,and being a European what about if it ever streches to topless bathing on the pool deck ? This something we are used to in the Med. but I don't actually like it...:rolleyes:

Yes,and being a European what about if it ever streches to topless bathing on the pool deck ? This something we are used to in the Med. but I don't actually like it...:rolleyes:

I never thought that I would hear an Englishman admit to being a European. If God had meant Britain to be part of Europe, he wouldn't have made it an island.:eek:

Maybe I'm oversimplifying, but it seems no different then choosing between Ruth's Chris and Applebees'. Ruth's Chris is an upscale dining experience, and part of what makes it an 'occasion' is that the patrons are dressed nicely. It's all part of the atmosphere. If you go there, out of respect to the restaurant staff that works to create that atmosphere, and to your fellow patrons who went to the effort of dressing nicely, you dress nicely as well. If you want the food and service quality of an upscale restaurant, you make the effort.

If you don't feel like getting all fancied up that night, you go to Applebees for your steak.

I dunno, it doesn't seem like that big a deal to put on a pair of long pants. Shorts, pants.....it's the same amount of effort to put either one on. :p

Sorry, but based on our recent experience I find this funny! We went to Ruth's Chris for dinner a few weeks ago and I told my husband he needed to dress up some, so he wore jeans. I was afraid he would be under dressed but did not say anything to him as I figure he is a big boy who can dress himself & if he's underdressed, that's his problem!:D I was quite surprised to count at least a dozen men in shorts! And of course, hubby points each one out to me! Evidently, Ruth's Chris has become Applebees, at least in dress!:D

Sherri:)

I or my husband have never worn shorts in a main dining room or a specialty restaurant. We cruise on NCL just as much as we cruise on RCCL and still will not wear shorts on NCL where it is welcomed to wear shorts in one of their two main dining rooms. Shorts are also welcome in NCL's specialty restaurants. Having said that, it does not bother me in the least that folks wears nice shorts in the main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

The evening DH and I dined in 150 Central Park, the most exclusive dining venue on Oasis of the Seas, I was upset with the couple that was seated next to us. They were finishing their meal when we were seated. I was fine until they both got up from the table to leave. Both wearing shorts and flip flops, honestly, they looked pretty pathetic. 150 Central Park is such a beautiful venue, I don't know how anyone could possibly feel comfortable in shorts and flip flops in such a lovely and exclusive atmosphere. I was more upset with the restaurant staff who seated them.

Just wondering ....You used the word "upset" twice in your post. WHY would this "upset" you? Did it affect your meal or your conversation or the service? Just trying to get my head wrapped around why someone would be "upset" when someone on VACATION in the middle of the Caribbean chooses to wear shorts... Can't figger it out.... :confused::rolleyes:

The ship has several venue's for dinner, some are casual some are more formal. On dry land you choose a place to eat, and dress accordingly. Why on a ship do people insist on eating in a more formal restaurant in casual clothes. You wouldn't think to do it at home or even away on a vacation why on a ship. Why cause a problem for the staff, and yes, make others uncomfortable. If you don't want to be formal on formal night, eat in a less formal venue.

Children and teenagers especially are not being taught that there are different clothes for different occasions. Employers tell me it is a struggle to get young people to understand what is appropriate to wear at a job. Adults need to help them along the way. So adults why keep insisting that shorts are OK on young people, even when it is clearly stated it isn't. What are you teaching them? If you were shorts yourself as you walk past the sign what are you teaching them. We are supposed to be setting the example. So as they say in the Nike ad, Just Do It.

You consider your behavior refined? I can honestly say that no one's attire has ever ruined my dinner in a cruise ship's main dining room. However, there have been several instances when snide people have ruined my dinner and that's when I've requested to have my table changed. To be so superficial as to require everyone to dress to your satisfaction makes you, well, not a nice person in my book, and some personality refining is definitely in order. And your prediction about Speedos isn't ridiculous. It's insane!

Hope you never have to be on a cruise with me. I would hate to upset anyone. But you really wouldn't see my legs unless you were hanging out under my table, would you?

Dayton Ohio.....style capital of the world.........says it all.. And yes....presumably you don't walk into the dining room with your table covering your legs........Dayton Ohio!

Maybe cause they're on vacation and they don't want to. I would say why don't people mind their own business, dress up if they want and not worry about what other people are doing. Once again, If I wear shorts to the MDR with a polo unless someone is there when the doors open (like I am) to they see me walk in, the ONLY way they know I have shorts on is if they are creeping under my table.

Personally I don't wear shorts to dinner, but I could care less if someone else does.

Struther1....

That's my thinking too. If memory serves me correct you walk into the MDR, you walk out. The vast majority of the time you are seated with your legs under a table with a long tablecloth. Unless I'm strange I don't go crawling on the floor under tables to see if someone has jeans or shorts on.

Also, for some of the cruisers who wear shorts or don't dress 'formal' on formal night it is my honest belief some of them just didn't realize there was a dress code until they arrived at dinner that night. Not everyone reads every little word in the pre cruise docs or on the website. I'm sure there are many people who book the cruise, pay for it, and show up at the pier.

Then again if we didn't argue about what other people wear at dinner their boards would be awful dull!

JCMass...all I can say is you can parent your children they way you are comfortable with and I will do the same with mine. My son doesn't own a suit because he doesn't ever have any real occasion to wear one but for once a year on a cruise. Which, if you have children, you know would have to be replaced every year. I find it absurd to have to do that. If my 11-year-old's knees bother you, please dont crawl under our table and hey, whaddaya know...problem solved!

That being said....I guess we will agree to disagree.

And if your'e a Man U fan your probably live in Devon. Only joking

Actually, I live in California, but I was born and lived in the football (soccer to American readers) capital of the universe, the great city of Manchester, for over 30 years.:D

Go Magpies.:D

• 3 weeks later...
Those of you who follow dress code threads may have seen this before (again and again!) but as the first sentence says: irresistable!!!

Ah, dress code threads: irresistable!

Just my opinion but here goes. It's not a matter of rules; it's not a matter of guidelines; it's not a matter of enforcement. Actually it's a matter of manners!

Good manners dictate that one dresses as one's host requests. It's as simple as that. Certainly it's your cruise. Certainly the guideline is not enforced. Certainly it won't ruin my cruise if you dress as you wish. None of that changes the fact that to dress in a manner different from your host's request is rude and demonstrates one's selfish attitude toward one's host (and one's fellow travelers I might add). Unfortunately, rude behavior is rampant in today's society but I will always hope that things will change. Am I naive? Absolutely. Bon Voyage to all!

One's host does not require one to pay $2000 to have the opportunity to enjoy food. Once Royal, or any other cruise line, foots my bill, then they can be considered my host.

I typically abide by the suggested dress, but there must be some allowances for late excursions/early seating, and there must be allowances for some people for other valid reasons.

Good manners may be used to justify not burping at the table, not wearing a hat inside, etc., but it cannot be used to ostracize people who choose to wear shorts to dinner.

I'd say they keep showing up because new people honestly have questions then they grow because we all like putting our two cents in even if it's been discussed a zillion times. I'd say if someone is bothered or annoyed by dress code threads, it would be pretty easy to just not read them.

I agree 100% well said.

Archived