Question re: taxes/port fees etc.

funinthesun1964

How much, on average, does it usually cost for

Govt Fees/Taxes

& Other Charges

I am already paid in full, just took a look at my funpass billing info, and -

It's nearly 30% :eek:

Im guessing you booked thru a TA. Port fees are embedded into the cruisefare, $50ish per port per person on average.

Some TAs break out the NCFs (noncommionable fare) from the rest of the cruisefare. Confuses people, so I wish they would just state it like Carnival does.

Carnival after a lawsuit back in the 1990s, has to include port fees in the cruisefare .. they only add on "taxes and fees" which seems to me from your post and the subject line you think the add on taxes and fees include port fees, which they dont.

Im guessing you booked thru a TA. Port fees are embedded into the cruisefare, $50ish per port per person on average.

Some TAs break out the NCFs (noncommionable fare) from the rest of the cruisefare. Confuses people, so I wish they would just state it like Carnival does.

Carnival after a lawsuit back in the 1990s, has to include port fees in the cruisefare .. they only add on "taxes and fees" which seems to me from your post and the subject line you think the add on taxes and fees include port fees, which they dont.

Ok, please let me clarify. It does not say "port fees" it says "gov't taxes and fees". So you are correct. Gov't taxes and fees = 30%. And I did not book through a TA. I booked this one directly on Carnival's website.

well in this case we are going on the Ecstasy to Cozumel and Progreso

According to carnival when i do a fake booking:

Departing from: New Orleans, LA

Sailing Date: 9/26/2011

Carnival Ecstasy

Gov't Fees/Taxes: $76.38 for two people

If the tax/fees is more then that, then you either book thru a TA or you might need to speak with carnival

According to carnival when i do a fake booking:

Departing from: New Orleans, LA

Sailing Date: 9/26/2011

Carnival Ecstasy

Gov't Fees/Taxes: $76.38 for two people

If the tax/fees is more then that, then you either book thru a TA or you might need to speak with carnival

but, if you did a fake booking, you may have not had the same cruise fare as I did..so naturally the taxes would be higher if I paid a higher cruise fare than what is today. Thanks for looking it up though. It just seemed a little high to me at nearly 30%

Taxes and fees are not determined as a percentage of your cruise fare (it's not like a sales tax). So if you got a really good deal on the cruise fare, your taxes and fees would appear to be a disproportionately high percentage of your cruise fare. I'm going on an 8 night cruise with three ports, and my t&f were 5.9% of my cruise fare. This is a bit deceptive since I'm sailing solo, so I have one set of t&f on a double fare. So they'd be 11.8% of the ppdo fare.

It's kind of like the taxes on air fare -- they're flat fees, not percentages.

Gov't taxes/fees have nothing to do with your cruise fare. You can book an inside, outside, balcony or suite and they will be the same. They have to do with which ports you are going to.

Just go in and do a fake booking on the ship you will be on in each category and it will be the same.

Hope this helps.

this just frightened me - please forgive my ignorance this is my first cruise my parents didnt pay for.

im going on the legend at the end of the month and have paid the entire fare + prepaid gratuities, should i expect another bill for port fees and taxes? I had assumed i was 100% paid in clear except for any onboard charges i choose to make on board.

thanks for any help

this just frightened me - please forgive my ignorance this is my first cruise my parents didnt pay for.

im going on the legend at the end of the month and have paid the entire fare + prepaid gratuities, should i expect another bill for port fees and taxes? I had assumed i was 100% paid in clear except for any onboard charges i choose to make on board.

thanks for any help

Have you looked on your invoice that you got when you booked the cruise? It should be on there.

thanks for any help

you should be good to ge except for your expenses that are incurred while sailing. Have a great trip and forget about the taxes and just enjoy the fact that you can afford to have such a vacation.

thanks for any help

no, if you have already paid for the cruise and gratuities, then you are done -- you will just have extra for onboard purchases

Gov't taxes/fees have nothing to do with your cruise fare. You can book an inside, outside, balcony or suite and they will be the same. They have to do with which ports you are going to.

Just go in and do a fake booking on the ship you will be on in each category and it will be the same.

Hope this helps.

thanks -I paid 88.19 in taxes/fees but shof 515 did a fake booking (see earlier post) and said it was $76.xx for two people - mine was 88.19 per person

thanks -I paid 88.19 in taxes/fees but shof 515 did a fake booking (see earlier post) and said it was $76.xx for two people - mine was 88.19 per person

Ok, so it makes sense to me now. Someone earlier said that if tips are prepaid, they are in that figure. Tips =$10 per day, per person = $50.00pp the remainder of 38.19 = $76.38. Got it!

Thanks for the replies, everyone!:)

but, if you did a fake booking, you may have not had the same cruise fare as I did..so naturally the taxes would be higher if I paid a higher cruise fare than what is today. Thanks for looking it up though. It just seemed a little high to me at nearly 30%

taxes are a flat fee per port not a percentage of cruise fare.

Archived