Breakaway to your Getaway...

RYMOMA

Exactly. 2 days after Carnival announced Magic or RCI announced Allure I could not remember the new names. I will never forget Breakaway and Getaway perhaps for the wrong reason but the names will stick.

Yup. I have to agree. They are different and are creating quite a buzz. It's like they say in the theatre: "Any review is a good review as long as they spell your name right!" :D

Island Escape is a ship currently sailing in Europe so Escape gets elimated on existig ship name grounds.

As if RCL's Jewel of the Seas stopped NCL from using Jewel?

The gem/jewelry related names worked fine by me...as well as the nature-themes.

Howard

I will always be loyal to NCL. To me, the compound words don't work. It makes it cheap. Here were my entries, some good, others, not really, but was trying to win with anything I could come up with. Little did I know, I didn't really have to think at all, should have just used originality like they wanted and went with the name of the Project Breakaway. Wonder if they will allow fans to name them in the future. I have the winner for the next one, Hideaway. Too many jokes. Here are my names:

NCL Mystic, NCL Escape, NCL Euphoria, NCL Enchanted, NCL Temptation, NCL Goddess, NCL Temptress, NCL Evolution, NCL Classic, NCL Serenity.

Didn't know Escape is a current ship. Also, Bliss is the name of the lounge and isn't Serenity the adults only spa area?

I wonder if the Getaway will have a mobster theme. Or like somebody mentioned with Kelly Clarkson performing her song Break Away on that ship, maybe the Sopranos will do skits on the Getaway.

I know, we should all probably just get over it, and we will eventually all sail on them, it's just disappointing as a repeat passenger who truly loves the cruise line to have to see the classy names just take a major nosedive, and have to wonder if this is the future for the names of their ships.

Dear Cruise Critic members,

We thank everyone who entered the contest for their time and for their suggestions. There were a lot of names that have been used by competitors and we did not want to use those. We wanted original names that defined our new class of ships.

Regards,

Norwegian Cruise Line Public Relations

An added bonus is that the new names will never be replicated by a competitor. What line would copy something so bizarre?

They had to get away from the old Jewel class naming. Too many people still think the new ships are Jewel class since NCL is back at Meyer Werft. New class of ships. Not jewel or epic but another breakaway from the pack. Time will tell but I bet these names will fit this new class as we get the details.

They had to get away from the old Jewel class naming. Too many people still think the new ships are Jewel class since NCL is back at Meyer Werft. New class of ships. Not jewel or epic but another breakaway from the pack. Time will tell but I bet these names will fit this new class as we get the details.

So what are the follow on names for other ships in the class (should there be any)?

Takeaway

Awaywego

Anyoldwhichaway

Thataway

Thisaway

Farfaraway

Anchorsaweigh

So what are the follow on names for other ships in the class (should there be any)?

Takeaway

Awaywego

Anyoldwhichaway

Thataway

Thisaway

Farfaraway

Anchorsaweigh

Funny post! I will add:

Throwaway

Floataway

Washaway

Breakaway is hard to beat though..

Dear Norwegian Cruise Line Public Relations,

I am sorry that your hopes for excitement about your new ship names have not come to fruition.

Surely you realize that with anything new, there will be some that like it and some that don't -- whether it's a new menu, a new bathroom design, or a new ship name. That should be expected. Consider also, however, that you added a contest whereby you actively solicited and offered a reward to people for submitting their ideas and suggestions. As a result, not only do you have people's general reactions to the new names, you also have people caring more about the new names because they had a vested interest in them.

With all due respect to Ms. Powell and Mr. Hultman, one has to wonder if you gave any consideration at all to the alternate meanings of the words you chose as the ship names.

As many have pointed out, "Breakaway" is a hockey term, as well as a popular candy bar in Great Britain. Your announcement of the new names notes that Breakaway is defined as "a departure or break from routine or tradition," but another definition of "Breakaway" is "to break apart"-- not exactly an ideal name for a ship carrying thousands of passengers and crew. (It's a bit reminiscent of the case of the Chevy Nova, where Chevy's marketing staff failed to thoroughly consider all implications of the name "Nova," because in the Spanish language, "no va" literally means "it doesn't go.") Similarly, while "Getaway" can refer to a short vacation, it also more commonly refers to "escaping from the scene of a crime." Again, not a positive reference or image to be on a "Getaway" ship.

One also has to wonder if you ever took a look at the results of the poll that USA Today began conducting after the finalist names were announced. The poll asks the question, "What should Norwegian Cruise Line name its next ship?" and participants are instructed to vote for their favorite of the five finalist names: Norwegian Bliss, Norwegian Breakaway, Norwegian Escape, Norwegian Getaway, or Norwegian Journey. Over 1,000 people have voted in the poll to date, and the two least favorite names by an overwhelming majority are the two names you selected, Breakaway and Getaway, each with just 2% of the total votes.

I read Ms. Powell's post on your Facebook page, and I was stunned to learn that she submitted the "Breakaway" name without knowing that the new ship project was also named "Breakaway." How is that possible when the USA Today announcement of the contest mentions "Project Breakaway" no less than four times? Frankly, whoever came up with the name for the ship project as "Breakaway" should be rewarded as the real winner, since he or she is the one who had the idea first.

That point aside, I find it incomprehensible that NCL would hold a contest to name its new ships and then choose the SAME NAME as the project name for a "winning" ship name. Clearly, NCL blatantly ignored the rules of its own contest. According to the official contest rules, "Selection of the Finalists Names will be...based upon the following criteria:

• Creativity (1/3)

• Originality (1/3)

• Best reflects Sponsor's innovation and the freedom and flexibility of Sponsor's signature Freestyle Cruising® (1/3)."

Again, all due respect to Ms. Powell, but how can you award her as the winner when she submitted a name that was already being used by NCL in reference to the ship? Even if the name scored the maximum on the last judging criterion, which would be 33.33%, it should have scored very little if anything on the other two criteria, Creativity and Originality, which account for the other two-thirds of the score.

Additionally, the statement in your own response is contradictory. You mentioned that "There were a lot of names that have been used by competitors and we did not want to use those." But two of the other finalist names selected are in fact currently being used by other cruise ships (Island "Escape" and Azamara "Journey"), so how do you explain those choices? Theoretically, they should have also scored low on Creativity and Originality. You also stated that "We wanted original names...", but with "Bliss" already being the name of a popular venue onboard NCL's ships (the "Bliss" lounge), it should not have scored high marks for Creativity and Originality, either.

I want you to know that I, along with a lot of other Cruise Critic Members, are really excited about the new ships. We were also really excited about NCL's Name the Ship Contest and were greatly anticipating the judges' decision. Like me, I think there are many who are disappointed not only in the names selected, but also in the process that you used to go about it.

It now appears that the contest was a total farce. It seems that NCL already planned to use "Breakaway" as the ship name and you decided to announce a contest purely to generate more publicity. And that would have been completely acceptable...if you had announced one of the ship names as "Breakaway" and just held the contest for the other ship name.

I agree that Norwegian Cruise Line has always been an innovator, and I am sure that the new ships are not going to be a disappointment. Unfortunately, the names you have chosen, and more importantly, they way you have conducted this contest, certainly are.

...that NCL PR feels bad. No one wants to encounter such a uniformly negative response, I'm sure.:(

But here's the thing: most of us NCL afficionados (new and old) appreciate what NCL already does well with its brand and with Freestyle Cruising. We have lots of choices; the crew are fun and friendly; and NCL ships are sexy, flashy and hip (and a little brash), but still romantic. And that's the key: we love NCL and the NCL fleet.

By contrast, these new names are none of the above. They aren't fun, friendly, sexy or in any way romantic. Rather, they are clunky, literalistic, mechanical, and obvious. They might as well be called "Norwegian Breakaway-Style Floating Resort Complex A" and "Norwegian Breakaway-Style Floating Resort Complex B."

Ultimately, our disappointment stems from the fact that our expectations were really high. And NCL shouldn't be disappointed in that, at all. But remember, Freestyle Cruising is still cruising, and we ultimately love it so much because we love cruise ships. And cruise ships, no matter how hip, deserve some dignity, because when we sail on them they are our entire universe.

I pray NCL will find a way to back away from this decision and come up with some names that folks will embrace with joy, rather than simply shrugging with disappointment and resignation, as we're going to be sailing on them for a long time. Thanks for listening.

Shakespeare didn’t work in marketing. A rose by any other name would still look and smell like a rose. However, if a rose was called a “putrid”, they wouldn’t sell very many on Valentine’s Day.

Big companies invest many dollars in naming a product. They employ industrial psychologists and focus groups to have a perfect name for their billion dollar products. A name can evoke an emotional response from their perspective customers, as can be seen right here from the posters in this thread.

Fore example, in the automotive industry, Dodge named their pickup “Ram” and Nissan named their pickup “Titan” to evoke an emotional response. Do you think they would have sold as many trucks if it were the Nissan “Titanic” and the Dodge “Sheep”?

In their post above, NCL acts surprised at the negative response to the new ships names. I’m guessing NCL did not employ an industrial psychologist or effective focus groups or there would have been no surprise at the public’s response.

In fact, it appears that NCL did not even read the USA Today’s reader’s poll that they probably helped sponsor. The poll shows a sharp dissatisfaction for the chosen names. See for yourself: http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/09/norwegian-cruise-line-ship-name/546534/1

I am sorry that your hopes for excitement about your new ship names have not come to fruition.

Surely you realize that with anything new, there will be some that like it and some that don't -- whether it's a new menu, a new bathroom design, or a new ship name. That should be expected. Consider also, however, that you added a contest whereby you actively solicited and offered a reward to people for submitting their ideas and suggestions. As a result, not only do you have people's general reactions to the new names, you also have people caring more about the new names because they had a vested interest in them.

With all due respect to Ms. Powell and Mr. Hultman, one has to wonder if you gave any consideration at all to the alternate meanings of the words you chose as the ship names.

As many have pointed out, "Breakaway" is a hockey term, as well as a popular candy bar in Great Britain. Your announcement of the new names notes that Breakaway is defined as "a departure or break from routine or tradition," but another definition of "Breakaway" is "to break apart"-- not exactly an ideal name for a ship carrying thousands of passengers and crew. (It's a bit reminiscent of the case of the Chevy Nova, where Chevy's marketing staff failed to thoroughly consider all implications of the name "Nova," because in the Spanish language, "no va" literally means "it doesn't go.") Similarly, while "Getaway" can refer to a short vacation, it also more commonly refers to "escaping from the scene of a crime." Again, not a positive reference or image to be on a "Getaway" ship.

One also has to wonder if you ever took a look at the results of the poll that USA Today began conducting after the finalist names were announced. The poll asks the question, "What should Norwegian Cruise Line name its next ship?" and participants are instructed to vote for their favorite of the five finalist names: Norwegian Bliss, Norwegian Breakaway, Norwegian Escape, Norwegian Getaway, or Norwegian Journey. Over 1,000 people have voted in the poll to date, and the two least favorite names by an overwhelming majority are the two names you selected, Breakaway and Getaway, each with just 2% of the total votes.

I read Ms. Powell's post on your Facebook page, and I was stunned to learn that she submitted the "Breakaway" name without knowing that the new ship project was also named "Breakaway." How is that possible when the USA Today announcement of the contest mentions "Project Breakaway" no less than four times? Frankly, whoever came up with the name for the ship project as "Breakaway" should be rewarded as the real winner, since he or she is the one who had the idea first.

That point aside, I find it incomprehensible that NCL would hold a contest to name its new ships and then choose the SAME NAME as the project name for a "winning" ship name. Clearly, NCL blatantly ignored the rules of its own contest. According to the official contest rules, "Selection of the Finalists Names will be...based upon the following criteria:

• Creativity (1/3)

• Originality (1/3)

• Best reflects Sponsor's innovation and the freedom and flexibility of Sponsor's signature Freestyle Cruising® (1/3)."

Again, all due respect to Ms. Powell, but how can you award her as the winner when she submitted a name that was already being used by NCL in reference to the ship? Even if the name scored the maximum on the last judging criterion, which would be 33.33%, it should have scored very little if anything on the other two criteria, Creativity and Originality, which account for the other two-thirds of the score.

Additionally, the statement in your own response is contradictory. You mentioned that "There were a lot of names that have been used by competitors and we did not want to use those." But two of the other finalist names selected are in fact currently being used by other cruise ships (Island "Escape" and Azamara "Journey"), so how do you explain those choices? Theoretically, they should have also scored low on Creativity and Originality. You also stated that "We wanted original names...", but with "Bliss" already being the name of a popular venue onboard NCL's ships (the "Bliss" lounge), it should not have scored high marks for Creativity and Originality, either.

I want you to know that I, along with a lot of other Cruise Critic Members, are really excited about the new ships. We were also really excited about NCL's Name the Ship Contest and were greatly anticipating the judges' decision. Like me, I think there are many who are disappointed not only in the names selected, but also in the process that you used to go about it.

It now appears that the contest was a total farce. It seems that NCL already planned to use "Breakaway" as the ship name and you decided to announce a contest purely to generate more publicity. And that would have been completely acceptable...if you had announced one of the ship names as "Breakaway" and just held the contest for the other ship name.

I agree that Norwegian Cruise Line has always been an innovator, and I am sure that the new ships are not going to be a disappointment. Unfortunately, the names you have chosen, and more importantly, they way you have conducted this contest, certainly are.

Excellent posts.

I am having second thoughts. Get a guy from the car dealer commercials that talks real fast and gruff. The commercials where the same phrases constantly repeat with an annoying echo in the background. The names sound better.

Norwegian Breakaway..away..away..

Norwegian Getaway..away..away...

Get there before they are gone!!

I am having second thoughts. Get a guy from the car dealer commercials that talks real fast and gruff. The commercials where the same phrases constantly repeat with an annoying echo in the background. The names sound better.

get there before they sail away.. Away. Away..

Lol, after the recent NHRA drag race, I'm "hearing" your suggestion being done by whoever used to say...Sunday, sunday, sunday. :cool:

Takeaway

Awaywego

Anyoldwhichaway

Thataway

Thisaway

Farfaraway

Anchorsaweigh

SPARKS1093 - that is so funny I giggled for about 5 minutes!!!

I would have liked the opportunity to submit names but I am from the UK so was excluded!!

Now they have been named (as one poster says, one after a biscuit!!) I just want to know where they will be positioned so that I can book!!

Picture this: Sicily 2013.....(oh noooo....not again Sophia..)

A happily married couple missed the Getaway and they now have to fly to the next port to catch the Getaway. Now, how does the happy couple catch up with the Getaway if the Getaway still got Getaway???

What are they supposed to do? Break upaway? :confused:

• Creativity (1/3)

• Originality (1/3)

Kudos to you, Hoosier! You don't post often, but BOY when you do! ;)

Very enlightening!

Are you kidding me? What stupid names for a ship! I thought that NCL was looking for names that reflected their quality of sailing the high seas, along with the heritage of Norway? I like all 168 names that I submitted in the name the ship contest a lot better that these two!

:cool:Bill

Bill,

Your signature indicate you have never sailed NCL. It is heartwarming that you mention the Norway though. She is a ship that defined the cruise industry as we know it today. Where are you Knut Kloster? Seems like NCL needs your lead now more than ever. I blamed a lot of what is wrong with the Epic on Star Cruises (the 'hat', small sinks, no promenade deck and weird toilet and shower design) as this ship was already in the building process. The private equity folks from Apollo that are calling the shots now just don't seem to be making the moves that will position NCL to be stronger in the future. The naming of these ships is a reflection of the current management team and can not be blamed on past ownership and leadership.

This is Kevin Sheehan from an interview with Dan Askin:

Cruise Critic:
First off, what does "Project Breakaway" mean?

Kevin Sheehan:
It's a name I've used a few times in my life, personally and professionally. We as a family bought a vacation home in Emerald Isle, North Carolina, and we called the house "Breakaway." We were breaking away from the stress of work and school, so the beach house was our escape from reality. When you take that frame and apply it to Norwegian, we're breaking away as a brand, trying really hard to define who we are.

This "Breakaway" name comes from Kevin's family life...it is something that he has grown accustomed to over the years, and is used to. When you're the top dog, I guess naming the ships is a perk you can always have.

Add to this the fact that NCL Trademarked "Norwegian Breakaway" a couple of months back, and it is obvious where this was going the whole time.

Archived