Breakaway to your Getaway...

RYMOMA

So much easier for marketting tag lines .. was thinking earlier whilst at the Dentists (anything to distract attention).

NCL Imagine:

On an NCL Imagine cruise the only thing you need to pack is your imagination.

NCL Style:

Like to holiday in your own style?, freestyle with NCL Style.

Hehe.. Can just see the next Cruise Critic Editorial..

Now why couldn't we had something like NCL Inspire or longer Inspiration and NCL Imagine or rather than getaway retreat NCL Retreat, even NCL Free and NCL Style ~~(I like the latter one)..

Or maybe use the project Breakaway and what NCL is about and call the other one Freestyle

Carnival has an Imagination and Inspiration. I like NCL Style :)

I only have one NCL cruise under my belt, but I have another booked, and I anticipate many more. These names are, well, disappointing. They are very generic sounding and do not represent NCL, IMO.

For some reason I don't seem to have the emotive response to the new names as other posters have experienced. They are just names.

What is most important to me is the ships themselves, the itineraries they will be sailing and whether those two things appeal sufficiently for me to want to sail on them. That is the news I will have a response to. Looking for these ships to live up to the billing with innovative, inspirational and exciting itineraries or maybe just the usual 7 day milk runs out of Miami as usual.

...that NCL PR feels bad. No one wants to encounter such a uniformly negative response, I'm sure.:(

But here's the thing: most of us NCL afficionados (new and old) appreciate what NCL already does well with its brand and with Freestyle Cruising. We have lots of choices; the crew are fun and friendly; and NCL ships are sexy, flashy and hip (and a little brash), but still romantic. And that's the key: we love NCL and the NCL fleet.

By contrast, these new names are none of the above. They aren't fun, friendly, sexy or in any way romantic. Rather, they are clunky, literalistic, mechanical, and obvious. They might as well be called "Norwegian Breakaway-Style Floating Resort Complex A" and "Norwegian Breakaway-Style Floating Resort Complex B."

Ultimately, our disappointment stems from the fact that our expectations were really high. And NCL shouldn't be disappointed in that, at all. But remember, Freestyle Cruising is still cruising, and we ultimately love it so much because we love cruise ships. And cruise ships, no matter how hip, deserve some dignity, because when we sail on them they are our entire universe.

I pray NCL will find a way to back away from this decision and come up with some names that folks will embrace with joy, rather than simply shrugging with disappointment and resignation, as we're going to be sailing on them for a long time. Thanks for listening.

Well said.

If the above was so important please explain why 2 of the names on the short list were the names of currently sailing cruise ships.

The should have been eliminated immediately.

Perhaps the only 3 unique names were the 2 chosen and Bliss

Escape would have been a better name. Breakaway sounds like impending doom, ie breakaway from its moorings:cool:

If the above was so important please explain why 2 of the names on the short list were the names of currently sailing cruise ships.

The should have been eleiminated imediately.

Perhaps the only 3 unique names were the 2 chosen and Bliss

like the new names of the ships???

NCL Breakaway

NCL Getaway

NO:mad:

I think a guy named Willie Shakespeare said it best:

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Shakespeare didn’t work in marketing. A rose by any other name would still look and smell like a rose. However, if a rose was called a “putrid”, they wouldn’t sell very many on Valentine’s Day.

Big companies invest many dollars in naming a product. They employ industrial psychologists and focus groups to have a perfect name for their billion dollar products. A name can evoke an emotional response from their perspective customers, as can be seen right here from the posters in this thread.

Fore example, in the automotive industry, Dodge named their pickup “Ram” and Nissan named their pickup “Titan” to evoke an emotional response. Do you think they would have sold as many trucks if it were the Nissan “Titanic” and the Dodge “Sheep”?

In their post above, NCL acts surprised at the negative response to the new ships names. I’m guessing NCL did not employ an industrial psychologist or effective focus groups or there would have been no surprise at the public’s response.

In fact, it appears that NCL did not even read the USA Today’s reader’s poll that they probably helped sponsor. The poll shows a sharp dissatisfaction for the chosen names. See for yourself: http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/09/norwegian-cruise-line-ship-name/546534/1

For some reason I don't seem to have the emotive response to the new names as other posters have experienced. They are just names.

What is most important to me is the ships themselves, the itineraries they will be sailing and whether those two things appeal sufficiently for me to want to sail on them. That is the news I will have a response to. Looking for these ships to live up to the billing with innovative, inspirational and exciting itineraries or maybe just the usual 7 day milk runs out of Miami as usual.

I agree with you. A ship's name is never taken into consideration when I cruise. But you have to admit the names like Pearl, Epic, Jewel, etc are pretty cool names and project a kind of luxury.

These names dont project that and it sounds like a sight seeing boat floating down a river or a freighter carrying cargo.

I get what NCL was trying to do with the meaning of the names but if people are booking a cruise or looking to book a cruise, they already want to get away.

In any event, these names are a first for the cruise industry. Oasis, Dream, Epic, etc

send a completely different kind of feel than Getaway.

Shakespeare didn’t work in marketing. A rose by any other name would still look and smell like a rose. However, if a rose was called a “putrid”, they wouldn’t sell very many on Valentine’s Day.

Big companies invest many dollars in naming a product. They employ industrial psychologists and focus groups to have a perfect name for their billion dollar products. A name can evoke an emotional response from their perspective customers, as can be seen right here from the posters in this thread.

Fore example, in the automotive industry, Dodge named their pickup “Ram” and Nissan named their pickup “Titan” to evoke an emotional response. Do you think they would have sold as many trucks if it were the Nissan “Titanic” and the Dodge “Sheep”?

In their post above, NCL acts surprised at the negative response to the new ships names. I’m guessing NCL did not employ an industrial psychologist or effective focus groups or there would have been no surprise at the public’s response.

In fact, it appears that NCL did not even read the USA Today’s reader’s poll that they probably helped sponsor. The poll shows a sharp dissatisfaction for the chosen names. See for yourself: http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/09/norwegian-cruise-line-ship-name/546534/1

Good post! I agree that it would appear that NCL didn't do much, if any, market research before choosing the names - putting all the names from the contest on a wall and throwing darts at the wall would have probably generated a better set of names (in my opinion).

I couldn't agree more as to how NCL could seem surprised by the negative, or at best, neutral, feedback to the names. The USAToday poll (results pasted below) speaks a great deal, as does the pages of feedback on this thread. I would guess that a similar response would be obtained from the general cruising population.

Like many others, I just shake my head and wonder what NCL was thinking... But, as others have also said, it won't keep me from cruising the ships if the itinerary/port looks appealing, but it's not a name that invokes anything positive in my mind. While recently in port in Nassau on the Gem, when asked in the shops what ship we were on, we would say "the Gem"... if we were on the Breakaway or Getaway, I would probably be more apt to answer "the NCL ship"...

That being said, I mean no disrespect to the winners - congratulations! I hope they enjoy the first peak of the new ships!

What should Norwegian Cruise Line name its next ship?

Norwegian Bliss -47%

Norwegian Breakaway - 2%

Norwegian Escape - 29%

Norwegian Getaway - 2%

Norwegian Journey - 19%

TOTAL VOTES: 1001

I feel like this is one of those situations like where your you see your friends really ugly baby for the first time and you have to just smile and say "well, bless her heart". :D

What a great way to put it and so true!!

I think best thing NCL PR can do now (short of changing the names!) is to quickly rush out the itineraries and thus deflect from the name announcement as most will want to talk itinerary!

After 24 hours I have changed my mind. The new names are brilliant. A true PR bonanza. I can't imagine two other names generating more buzz for new class of ships.

True most of the reaction had been negative but has been huge and everyone who cruises has by now been made aware of the pending new ships that have not even started to be assembled.

Had the chosen a traditional name there would be no buzz just us Norwenies going good job.

After 24 hours I have changed my mind. The new names are brilliant. A true PR bonanza. I can't imagine two other names generating more buzz for new class of ships.

True most of the reaction had been negative but has been huge and everyone who cruises has by now been made aware of the pending new ships that have not even started to be assembled.

Had the chosen a traditional name there would be no buzz just us Norwenies going good job.

Interesting perspective...probably true...if it were a new Norwegian Wind or Norwegian Sea...we would all have yawned and moved on. Instead, it's a buzz topic...

Are you kidding me? What stupid names for a ship! I thought that NCL was looking for names that reflected their quality of sailing the high seas, along with the heritage of Norway? I like all 168 names that I submitted in the name the ship contest a lot better that these two!

:cool:Bill

I don't think the names are great, but they are not horrible either.

What I would find interesting is to know what NCL's internal short list of names was. It's no coincidence that the name of this project is "project breakaway" and one of the names selected was NORWEGIAN BREAKAWAY. Surely NCL had planned to use this name all along, and the contest was more of an awareness campaign than anything.

It is unfortunate that the NCL PR folks did not consult with their counterparts in other areas of the world before selecting the name. "Breakaway" is the name of a chocolate biscuit by Nestle in the UK, and this is what comes to mind when they hear "breakaway". Probably not the best ideal to name your ship with the same name used by another company for a completely different product. NCL is very popular in the UK and they source a great deal of their passengers from there, so it should have been taken into consideration.

What I would find interesting is to know what NCL's internal short list of names was. It's no coincidence that the name of this project is "project breakaway" and one of the names selected was NORWEGIAN BREAKAWAY. Surely NCL had planned to use this name all along, and the contest was more of an awareness campaign than anything.

quote]

100% AGREED no coincidence whatsoever..........

Interesting perspective...probably true...if it were a new Norwegian Wind or Norwegian Sea...we would all have yawned and moved on. Instead, it's a buzz topic...

Exactly. 2 days after Carnival announced Magic or RCI announced Allure I could not remember the new names. I will never forget Breakaway and Getaway perhaps for the wrong reason but the names will stick.

Archived