Breakaway to your Getaway...

RYMOMA

This is Kevin Sheehan from an interview with Dan Askin:

Cruise Critic:
First off, what does "Project Breakaway" mean?

Kevin Sheehan:
It's a name I've used a few times in my life, personally and professionally. We as a family bought a vacation home in Emerald Isle, North Carolina, and we called the house "Breakaway." We were breaking away from the stress of work and school, so the beach house was our escape from reality. When you take that frame and apply it to Norwegian, we're breaking away as a brand, trying really hard to define who we are.

This "Breakaway" name comes from Kevin's family life...it is something that he has grown accustomed to over the years, and is used to. When you're the top dog, I guess naming the ships is a perk you can always have.

Add to this the fact that NCL Trademarked "Norwegian Breakaway" a couple of months back, and it is obvious where this was going the whole time.

Thanks for posting! This helps explain how the 'contest' took the direction it did. How can anyone actually believe the ship name of 'Breakaway" was not predetermined? My family frequently went on vacation to the NC coast (Nags Head and Kitty Hawk) when I was a younger as it was close my childhood home in VA. Beautiful area and worth the drive. We only stayed 'mom and pop' motels though as ownership of a vacation home was not an option. Again, thanks for the reality check! Free publicity is not always a good thing...

Bliss is a potato, Carnival has the Escape and Azamara has a ship called Journey. This thread sure sounds like a lot of sour grapes from those whose entries weren't pick, or vote on USA today was ignored. Sorry, but I can't believe most people would think of a Getaway as a Bonnie and Clyde escape, or Breakaway as a hockey term (though Breakaway is the weaker of the two names).

More importantly, when and where is the Getaway doing its inaugural sailing. Hope it's from the States, I'll be there.

Bliss is a potato, Carnival has the Escape and Azamara has a ship called Journey. This thread sure sounds like a lot of sour grapes from those whose entries weren't pick, or vote on USA today was ignored. Sorry, but I can't believe most people would think of a Getaway as a Bonnie and Clyde escape, or Breakaway as a hockey term (though Breakaway is the weaker of the two names).

More importantly, when and where is the Getaway doing its inaugural sailing. Hope it's from the States, I'll be there.

No sour grapes here. It would be a topic even without the public circus that NCL helped create with a 'phony' contest that NCL initiated. This thread is only giving feedback (good or bad) based on the results.

No sour grapes here. It would be a topic without the public circus that NCL helped create with a 'phony' contest that NCL took to the public and openness of the internet. It is just two lousy names no matter how you look at it.

But would it stop you from booking them?

Not the best names, but at least they're not a potato.;):D

But would it stop you from booking them?

Not the best names, but at least they're not a potato.;):D

I don't understand the relation to potato. All I know is the contest seems to be predetermined based on 'Breakaway'. NCL public relations is free to respond.

Potatoes and reddish pink skin have nothing to do with the current PR crisis at NCL. It only seems that the current 'top dogs' or the private equity head in charge at NCL (not naming names) is the cause of this controversy. Please give me a reality check if I am misguided. I am the first to admit if I am wrong.

With all the negative reviews of the names of the new ships, do u guys think that NCL is regretting their decisions? I think I have read maybe 5 people who think that the names are good. I have never cruised Norwegian, but with all the negatives that has got to have them rethinking. What do all of u think?

I don't get the anger about NCL having Breakaway as one of their short list names before the contest. I am sure they were brainstorming name long before they decided to go to the public for other ideas.

I bet there were dozens of people smart enough to submit Breakaway. I would love to know how many.

The contest was fine. They chose the name they liked best. Many don't think it was the best but we are not the judges. They awarded the prizes to the first to submit the winning names.

Had the winner been Kevin's brother then we would have something to shout foul about.

Unlike some others on this board, I'm not on a first-name basis with the CEO of this company. I really couldn't care less about what this guy's favorite color is, his politics or what he called his vacation home. I just wish this guy and the people he surrounds himself with would cut back on the innovation and temper it with some common sense.

Really? Breakaway and Getaway......more boutique names. These names IMO are laughable, but what else should we expect from a company that thought the bathroom design on the Epic was a good idea. Clearly, NCL's marketing department blew it once again.

Maybe next time you'll choose something more nautical. Afterall you are in the ship travel business. Then again, if the Epic is an example of your future direction, the emphasis isn't really on the ocean is it?

They had to get away from the old Jewel class naming. Too many people still think the new ships are Jewel class since NCL is back at Meyer Werft. New class of ships. Not jewel or epic but another breakaway from the pack. Time will tell but I bet these names will fit this new class as we get the details.

You have had me laughing on this thread. I am not sure a negative response to the names can really be flipped to a positive, but a truly great try Jim.

The much more important question in my mind, is what is the hull art going to look like. Is the bow going to be breaking off on the Breakaway, and the stern still tied to the dock, while the rest of the getaway sails off?

Al

With all the negative reviews of the names of the new ships, do u guys think that NCL is regretting their decisions? I think I have read maybe 5 people who think that the names are good. I have never cruised Norwegian, but with all the negatives that has got to have them rethinking. What do all of u think?

I think they are getting exactly what they wanted. Something so different they even got the attention of those they never sailed on NCL like you :)

Unlike some others on this board, I'm not on a first-name basis with the CEO of this company. I really couldn't care less about what this guy's favorite color is, his politics or what he called his vacation home. I just wish this guy and the people he surrounds himself with would cut back on the innovation and temper it with some common sense.

Really? Breakaway and Getaway......more boutique names. These names IMO are laughable, but what else should we expect from a company that thought the bathroom design on the Epic was a good idea. Clearly, NCL's marketing department blew it once again.

Maybe next time you'll choose something more nautical. Afterall you are in the ship travel business. Then again, if the Epic is an example of your future direction, the emphasis isn't really on the ocean is it?

You should start your mornings with a walk ;)

I don't get the anger about NCL having Breakaway as one of their short list names before the contest. I am sure they were brainstorming name long before they decided to go to the public for other ideas.

If NCL had already decided on "Breakaway" as a ship name before the contest (which it appears is quite obviously the case), then that is their choice, and although I don't particularly care for the name personally, I don't see an issue with that per se. The issue is with the fact that they held a contest, the rules for which provided that the names were to be judged in part on Creativity (one-third) and Originality (one-third), and then selected a name that was THE SAME as the project name, and therefore not creative or original as it was already being used publicly in reference to the ship. If they wanted "Breakaway," they should have just announced it as one of the ship names and held a contest for the other, as I mentioned in my previous post.

The contest was fine. They chose the name they liked best.

The contest was most certainly not "fine." The criteria for judging the names was specifically stated in the rules, and the majority of the score (two-thirds) for each name was to be based on Creativity and Originality. With one of the "winning" names being the SAME NAME as the project name, it is clear that NCL blatantly disregarded the rules of the contest. By their own rules, NCL could not simply choose "the name they liked best." Now, had the judging criteria been different, or had it been defined in the rules as being based on "the name we like best," then there wouldn't be an issue with the contest.

They awarded the prizes to the first to submit the winning names.

Based on the Cruise Critic interview cited above (by Susan196222 in post #148), it appears that NCL's CEO Kevin Sheehan was the first to submit the name "Breakaway."

The contest was most certainly not "fine." The criteria for judging the names was specifically stated in the rules......

Like other things associated with the cruise industry, these apparently weren't 'rules', they were 'guidelines'.....:)

Simply put - we've been 'HAD' by NCL.

Many of us took this contest serious, many of us submitted names not because we thought our submission would win (well maybe ;) ), and many of us spend hours and hours in entering the "contest" because we, albeit wrongly, believed we were part of NCL decision process. Alas....how mistaken we were.....

If....or so it appears, it was already a foregone conclusion, that Breakaway and Getaway were THE chosen names, than why the smoke and mirrors contest?

I'm sorry, but this whole thing leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Could be a massive PR stunt i think...lol

Have a naming contest, get people excited and then at the last minute they change the ship name to something that fits the style of NCL

That's what I'm hoping. They could let the "winners" retain their prizes and save face by doing this.

I am just throwing it out there. How about giving everyone who entered a token of appreciation? A pass that allows the entrant to avoid the 'alcohol shakedown' when boarding a future NCL cruise. Pass can only be used once of course...

The issue is with the fact that they held a contest, the rules for which provided that the names were to be judged in part on Creativity (one-third) and Originality (one-third), and then selected a name that was THE SAME as the project name, and therefore not creative or original as it was already being used publicly "Breakaway."

In the minds of the judges it met all three criteria. They found it creative and original. Nothing like it in the industry. Let it go. The contest is over. There are two very happy winners and we have names that nobody will ever forget.

The much more important question in my mind, is what is the hull art going to look like.

If past performance is any indicator, NCL is probably not too worried about that. They still have the Hawaiian flowers on the Sky and it's been years since it was moved from the islands. How hard is it to paint some clouds on the bow?;)

Archived