new cruiser with luggage question

Kentman23

My wife and I are new to cruising and our cruise is coming up in December on the Pride. We were wondering how the luggage situation worked. Do you have any tips or whatever about luggage? I also have a CPAP machine so I need to know how to travel with that. My wife has a fear of lost luggage so we're trying to find out as much as possible.

Thanks!

Anything that you absolutely cannot do without, either for one day or actually the entire cruise, you should carry-on with you. If you have a small, wheeled suitcase, that works well. It will be x-ray'd/inspected as needed at the port, but as long as you didn't try and smuggle some alcohol or beer in there, it will all go through fine and dandy. Medications, etc. you should ALWAYS carry at least some on with you, as sometimes the luggage can be delayed a day or so if it is lost. If it accidentally goes overboard when loading (it HAS happened, but extremely rare), then you are SOL for the entire cruise.

My rule is if I absolutely, positively, have to have it, I carry it on with me. If you flying in for the cruise that same day, and you need to check that stuff for airline restrictions, put it all in one separate suitcase that you can pull aside as your carry-on to the cruise. There is no restriction on the number of carry-on items for the ship, they just have to fit in a standard x-ray machine.

My wife and I are new to cruising and our cruise is coming up in December on the Pride. We were wondering how the luggage situation worked. Do you have any tips or whatever about luggage? I also have a CPAP machine so I need to know how to travel with that. My wife has a fear of lost luggage so we're trying to find out as much as possible.

Thanks!

We always self embark and disembark on our own to ensure no lost luggage. As long as you're comfortable and capable of carrying on all your luggage without assistance, this has worked well for us the last 4 cruises. Keep your CPap in a location that is easily accessible (carry-on) in case you need to show it.

On our first cruise we didn't know any better and checked our luggage with the porters...fast forward to 6pm and still no luggage...went to dinner in what we had on. By the time we got back the luggage was there.

By taking it on and off yourself, you can control it's arrival. Just plan to get to the port by 12, and then by the time you board the cabins should be available (around 1:30pm). Drop the luggage off to your cabin and go explore the ship !!! :D

Thanks!

Hi, Kentman23. Congrats on your first cruise. Many more will follow, I'm sure.

The best advice I can offer here is regarding your cpap. I also have one and travel with it frequently. If you are flying to your port, keep in mind that the cpap does not count against you in the carry-on limitations imposed by the airlines. It is medical equipment and is exempt from those limits. So the cpap carrying case makes for a little bit more room for other items you may want to carry with you.

Also, remember to pack an extension cord. Rarely is there an electrical outlet by the bed. If you forget, Carnival will rent/loan you one. Usually a deposit associated with that.

Other than that, the responses from the other CC'ers here have been spot on. Best rule of thumb: don't over-pack. The less you pack, the easier it is to carry on most or all of your luggage.

I think I saw this here on CC a few years ago: "Lay out your clothes, lay out your money. Pack half the clothes and twice the money." So far, in our relatively limited cruise experience, that axiom as proven true.

Enjoy your first cruise!

We always self embark and disembark on our own to ensure no lost luggage. As long as you're comfortable and capable of carrying on all your luggage without assistance, this has worked well for us the last 4 cruises. Keep your CPap in a location that is easily accessible (carry-on) in case you need to show it.

On our first cruise we didn't know any better and checked our luggage with the porters...fast forward to 6pm and still no luggage...went to dinner in what we had on. By the time we got back the luggage was there.

By taking it on and off yourself, you can control it's arrival. Just plan to get to the port by 12, and then by the time you board the cabins should be available (around 1:30pm). Drop the luggage off to your cabin and go explore the ship !!! :D

are there any limitations to the size of the luggage you carry on?

Bill

I see that you are sailing out of Baltimore here is a link to CC member who has a very good review of how getting on the boat in Baltimore gonna be like

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1281134&page=23

Remember you can bring your carry ons, on with you as well. So if you wanna put soda,bottled water and wine. You can carry those in your carry on as well.

With your CPAP machine i would carry it in my carry on to make sure you have it. IF something does happen to your luggage, also ask you steward if he can give you an extension cord to plug it up with. And he should have it in your room by bedtime.

I hope that helps a little :D

Happy Cruising:cool:

That is normal for luggage delivery. That's why there is no restrictions on what you can wear for dinner on the first night.

are there any limitations to the size of the luggage you carry on?

Bill

The rule says that checked luggage must be limited to 50 pounds, or less, but I've NEVER seen them turn any HUGE bags away, or weigh any bags. Carry on baggage MUST fit through the X-Ray machine, just like at the airport, so any bag that you could take aboard a commercial flight, should be O.K. at the pier.

"SKY"

The rule says that checked luggage must be limited to 50 pounds, or less, but I've NEVER seen them turn any HUGE bags away, or weigh any bags. Carry on baggage MUST fit through the X-Ray machine, just like at the airport, so any bag that you could take aboard a commercial flight, should be O.K. at the pier.

"SKY"

You also must be able to handle all your carry on luggage. There will be no help with it.

You also should know that waiting for elevators at that time will be long as they run very slow- some are closed to passengers while the ship personal is transporting luggage to cabins.

Do you have any tips or whatever about luggage? I also have a CPAP machine so I need to know how to travel with that. My wife has a fear of lost luggage so we're trying to find out as much as possible.

Thanks!

1. The rooms are small. By your second cruise, you will have figured out that you don't need half of what you packed for the first cruise.

2. You will either store the luggage under your bed or in the closet (from my experience). I don't know the dimensions, but my luggage fit in those locations.

3. You "should" tip the porters when you arrive at the port (Buck a bag, unless you have one HUGE HEAVY Bag, then a fiver would probably be better.)

4. I have a hard time pictureing the luggage getting lost - porter here/ship there, no luggage carousel behind the check in counter like at the airport & there will only be one ship. (That being said the bags might not arrive at your room together or in a timely manner.)

5. Carry on your CPAP & bring an extension cord. Carry on any other valuables too - jewelery, laptop, kindle/nook, camera. & Rx medications.

We were on the Pride 2 weeks ago. Embarkation in Baltimore is incredibly easy! If you're parking there, you'll see the place to drop off any luggage you want to check; after that, you park and take your carry-on(s) with you into the building. It was the best and easiest embarkation we've had in 16 cruises!

As for bringing on your own luggage, you *can* do that. This is from Carnival's site:

Guests are encouraged to limit their checked luggage to two suitcases per person, with each suitcase not to weigh more than 50 pounds and not exceed 16"H x 24"W (no length restrictions). Please attach your Carnival Cruise Lines luggage tags PRIOR to leaving home and make sure that they are still on your bags when checking in with us. In many ports, guests have the option of carrying luggage on board at embarkation and off the ship at the end of the cruise as long as it does not exceed 16"H x 24"W (no length restrictions). This is an advantage you may want to consider as it will allow for quicker easier access to your bags. Please note that Carnival assumes no responsibility for carry-on luggage.

Alternatively, curbside porters are available at the pier to take luggage to the vessel for delivery to your stateroom by shipboard personnel. Customary tip is $1 per bag. Please be sure each piece of luggage is unlocked and has a tag listing your name and stateroom number. Curbside porters are not employees of Carnival; therefore, if you experience any problems, please report them to porter management on site. Any luggage left at the pier will be forwarded at your expense. Claims for luggage loss or damage must be made in writing to the debarkation personnel prior to leaving the pier area.

Don't pack a lot of shoes. Last 7 day I was on I had 3 pairs, walking sandles, flip flops, heels.

If you use plastic dry cleaning bags between groups of things the clothes don't wrinkle.

I leave my clothes on hangars so when I unpack it goes straight in the closet.

Take the least amount you can carry on so you don't have to lug it around until cabins open at 1:30pm.

I put colorful ribbon on my handles to ID it when I pick it up--so many black bags!

Lock your luggage. If they think something in it is suspicious you'll be called to the "naughty room" to unlock it.

Rum runners have worked well.

Archived