Late Debark, people missing flights

elcuchio24

We just got back from an Imagination/Liberty B2B with a day inbetween in Miami. When we disembarked the Imagination on Friday, there was an 'issue' with customs and they did not debark the entire ship until well after noon. We were zone 7 and didn't get off the ship until 11am. Ton's of people were missing their flights, crying people on both sides of us in the customs lines. Never did find out what the 'issue' was, but a good FYI for those who book early flights out after the cruise.....

We've had customs or immigration cause significant debarkation delays on two of our cruises.

When this happens, it can also cause the traffic at certain ports to gridlock, causing further delays.

This is why it always bothers me to see people ask about early flights and others telling them to go ahead, there won't be any problem. You never know when something could delay the ship getting into port by a couple of hours or delay debarkation. Build extra time into your schedule instead of cutting it close. And have a backup plan in place, or at least research alternatives, in case something like this does happen. It's better to have extra time instead of not enough time. And remember, travel insurance probably won't cover additional costs if you book a flight before the time recommended by the cruise line and miss it.

We've had customs or immigration cause significant debarkation delays on two of our cruises.

When this happens, it can also cause the traffic at certain ports to gridlock, causing further delays.

This is why it always bothers me to see people ask about early flights and others telling them to go ahead, there won't be any problem. You never know when something could delay the ship getting into port by a couple of hours or delay debarkation. Build extra time into your schedule instead of cutting it close. And have a backup plan in place, or at least research alternatives, in case something like this does happen. It's better to have extra time instead of not enough time. And remember, travel insurance probably won't cover additional costs if you book a flight before the time recommended by the cruise line and miss it.

I totally agree, I would rather sit around the airport for a couple hours then worry about missing an early flight. I guess there was one big group that had booked an 11:15 flight back, and most of them hadn't even cleared customs by 11:15, let alone get to the airport, so they all missed the flight.

I don't have to book flights, except on one cruise from San Juan. But I do want plan cruises that aren't from Florida in the future. I wouldn't book a early flight at all, more like around 3-5 pm or later.

I have never been on a cruise that has had problems with customs, but stuff does happen. If you do book early then you need to have a back up plan.. ;) Someone did another post a while ago about a ship getting into port late due to weather, so a lot of things can hold a ship up.

I refuse to spoil my cruise worrying about whether we'll debark in time to make our flight so I always book a mid to late afternoon flight. For our January cruise from San Juan, I could have got a flight at 12:30 p.m. but didn't want to take any chances so I booked a 2:30 flight instead! ;)

I'm amazed at the amount of people who book early flights! :eek: I would not enjoy my cruise due to the fact that I'd be constantly thinking about whether we'd make our return flight! :rolleyes: I know everybody's different but I like a bit of a "cushion" in there.. just in case! ;)

I know someone who has a flight out of San Juanat 7:30 AM. -- after their cruise I told them there is no way they are going to make that. The ship isn't scheduled to arrive until 7:00 AM. They are changing their flight I wish my friend had asked me or had done some research before booking air.

I refuse to spoil my cruise worrying about whether we'll debark in time to make our flight so I always book a mid to late afternoon flight. For our January cruise from San Juan, I could have got a flight at 12:30 p.m. but didn't want to take any chances so I booked a 2:30 flight instead! ;)

I'm amazed at the amount of people who book early flights! :eek: I would not enjoy my cruise due to the fact that I'd be constantly thinking about whether we'd make our return flight! :rolleyes: I know everybody's different but I like a bit of a "cushion" in there.. just in case! ;)

Amen. Us too. I so didn't want to worry about a post cruise flight on 10/23 from San Juan, that we aren't coming home until Monday the 24th :) We cruise to RELAX. Don't need any post cruise stress worrying about flights!

sometimes those of us who book flights to places far away have little control over our flight schedule, in part because of the timetables. i've got an 'early' flight on my next cruise, not by choice, but because it was the only way to make connections on a Sunday. Otherwise, I'd get an 11.30pm flight out and arrive a day later! :(

not thrilled at having to worry about making my flight, but that was my option. and i was booking months in advance, too! so it wasn't last minute.

sometimes those of us who book flights to places far away have little control over our flight schedule, in part because of the timetables. i've got an 'early' flight on my next cruise, not by choice, but because it was the only way to make connections on a Sunday. Otherwise, I'd get an 11.30pm flight out and arrive a day later! :(

not thrilled at having to worry about making my flight, but that was my option. and i was booking months in advance, too! so it wasn't last minute.

Hope it works out for you.

We live in Maine, so there's not exactly a plethora of flights. But if we have the choice of 11am or 3:30pm, I'll chose the 3:30 every time.

Iv been thru what they call full customs which took about 2 hours. We still had roll call folks getting off at 1 pm.

I dont know if they still do this once a quarter or not any more?

Its foolish to book a flight home before noon.

Not sure what the issue was on this sail, they were late calling debarkation to begin with, probably around 8:45. Then at like 9:30 they just stopped calling zones for about an hour, with very little in the way of informative announcements, before continuing. I'm sure the ship wasn't totally clear until at least noon time at the earliest.

Hope it works out for you.

thanks. :)

i've -- knock on wood -- never had a slow debarcation. here's to it going smoothly this next time. :)

i HAVE had cancelled flights when returning to shore. nothing like coming into cellular range and getting voice messages from the airline saying "you no longer have a flight". doh!

Yep, and that is how I wound up having to spend a extra night in Tampa, and flying home at 6:55 am...all the good flight choices had already booked up on SW while I was off on a cruise.

Next time I will know better and even if I have to get to a computer during a cruise, Im going to make sure I book early on SW.

I personally dont take a chance or book any flight home before Noon. In fact I just booked this morning for next april, and flying home at 2:15 pm I think.

I agree with sloepoke - I am from Canada and have to make multiple connections to get home the same day and that is usually arriving back home around midnight. I always take the latest possible flight that I can in order to do this. On two cruises we debarked late - one we had to make a medical diversion and docked 4 1/2 late (we made our flight but missed the connecting flight due to weather) the other cruise was delayed debarking because they couldn't find 2 kids (playing a game on their parents) and then there were custom/port issues with this same cruise - delayed over 3 hours. Lots of unhappy people on both who were prepared to self debark and run like hell for early flights.

I've been on the other end of full customs before in Galveston. They make the entire crew go through customs and clear the ship before the new guests can get on. We were at the terminal at 10:30 and could not get on until after 2:30. My MIL went through it also this spring. So they must still do the quarterly full customs

thanks. :)

i've -- knock on wood -- never had a slow debarcation. here's to it going smoothly this next time. :)

i HAVE had cancelled flights when returning to shore. nothing like coming into cellular range and getting voice messages from the airline saying "you no longer have a flight". doh!

After 30+ cruises I had my first delay in April on the Elation. We were stuck outside of Mobile Bay due to fog. We didn't even dock until after 3PM!! I was really glad we were driving home that trip!!

Not sure what the issue was on this sail, they were late calling debarkation to begin with, probably around 8:45. Then at like 9:30 they just stopped calling zones for about an hour, with very little in the way of informative announcements, before continuing. I'm sure the ship wasn't totally clear until at least noon time at the earliest.

I was on Ecstasy when we hit the dock too .. wasnt allowed on the elevators until 10 am...carnival took all the wheelchairs before self disembarkation who could not manage the stairs.

(one of the stupid things carnival does to save its reps time, but hurt pax).

I agree with sloepoke - I am from Canada and have to make multiple connections to get home the same day and that is usually arriving back home around midnight. I always take the latest possible flight that I can in order to do this. On two cruises we debarked late - one we had to make a medical diversion and docked 4 1/2 late (we made our flight but missed the connecting flight due to weather) the other cruise was delayed debarking because they couldn't find 2 kids (playing a game on their parents) and then there were custom/port issues with this same cruise - delayed over 3 hours. Lots of unhappy people on both who were prepared to self debark and run like hell for early flights.

We had a late embark in NOLA once .. some lady had a late flight so she decided to take a shower.. the whole port waited until after Noon to board until they could get this lady and her party off the ship.

I was on Ecstasy when we hit the dock too .. wasnt allowed on the elevators until 10 am...carnival took all the wheelchairs before self disembarkation who could not manage the stairs.

(one of the stupid things carnival does to save its reps time, but hurt pax).

Sounds like a real A+ opporation they were running that week;):rolleyes:

That happened to us after our first cruise. Strange thing is that we were never notified until we arrived at our connecting airport and my phone rang with an email from US AIRWAYS... timestamp shows 6 am... a very delayed email and caused plenty of confusion for us and gate agents.

I was so tempted to book at 10:45 a.m. flight out of Orlando after our Dream cruise returns, but I moved it to a flight leaving at 1:25 p.m. I know that is not exactly late, but I feel like it is pretty safe. Only a 45 minute drive from the airport and my sister is picking us up so even if we cannot be driving before 11:30 we should be OK.

We live in Maine, so there's not exactly a plethora of flights. But if we have the choice of 11am or 3:30pm, I'll chose the 3:30 every time.

If I only had the option of those times I would not pick either.......I would leave the next morning........I would not sit in a airport until 3:30 by choice..........

Carol & I are lucky that we live in an area that has many flights home. We are usually not in a big hurry to return to Maryland when the alternative is to stay in Florida. However, I can understand that people in various parts of this country have less options for their return flights. I too recommend that you take an early afternoon or evening flight home. But if the morning flight (with two flight changes) gets you to your destination before early morning of the next day, I can certainly understand the desire to leave as early as possible.

Archived