Summer 2012 All 6 Ships in the Med

NEOPHYTUS

Haven't looked into the 2012 Brochure/Cruise Calendar thoroughly, but this article claims so.

Certainly limits one's options if considering Seabourn that time of the year.

"These days, cruise ships are attracting younger holidaymakers, and this new generation of cruise-goer is having an influence on the very itineraries being offered.

The "time poor" nature of these guests is fuelling a trend for shorter cruises, particularly evident on Mediterranean itineraries. For example, Crystal Cruises is planning three- and four-night "taster" voyages as well as seven-night Mediterranean cruises for next year. And Seabourn Cruises will be positioning its entire fleet of six ships in the Med next summer on mainly seven-night cruises."

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/whod-be-a-landlubber-with-all-this-on-board-2364195.html

Next July and August lots of Med but also Northern Europe. Within the Med the ships are doing a wide range of voyages so there is a lot to choose from. But, yes, it is Europe.

Keith

That is interesting but we tend to avoid the summer months because of all the families. Spring and fall are usually great when most have gone back to school and the weather is delightful. Nice to have seasons for everyone!

We also avoid the summer and prefer the Med in April and September. However, with that said many people can only take summer vacations and obviously that is the case in places such as the Mediterranean.

Like most things, it's nice we have choice.

Keith

given the state of the world, it seems a bit of a risk to put all your eggs in one basket, so to speak.

Jim, other than Alaska, which really is overwhelmed with passenger ships I am not sure where else you put the ships during this time frame. By putting many ships in the Mediterranean you can offer a wide range of voyages. And then there is Northern Europe. More and more people are traveling to the Mediterranean and you can draw people from any different countries.

Keith

Summer is now out of the question for me. Seven days is too short unless there are kids in which case it's too long.

While I respect your right to choose, I think being childist ( or ageist or any other " ist") is not really appropriate on this site - given the published posting guidelines.

If one feels stongly about children on cruises, it is always possible to choose an adult only line eg Saga.

Jim, other than Alaska, which really is overwhelmed with passenger ships I am not sure where else you put the ships during this time frame. By putting many ships in the Mediterranean you can offer a wide range of voyages. And then there is Northern Europe. More and more people are traveling to the Mediterranean and you can draw people from any different countries.

Keith

You are right about Alaska (though I still hope Seabourn will do a season there in the not too distant future). I just had the thought that another disruption in Europe, whether natural or political, could have a real impact. We loved our Civitivecchia to Venice on the Spirit. Makes for lots of Transatlantic options too.:D

given the state of the world, it seems a bit of a risk to put all your eggs in one basket, so to speak.

Maybe in an increasingly risky world, Europe is the least risk for your physical safety. But maybe not for your wallet. Watch out for Greeks bearing gifts and hang on to your Euros, we may be in for a rough ride. No offence intended to our European Community partners in the Peloponnese.

Ahh Marianh - now YOU are being moneyist, and possibly Spartan (or is that Trojan?).

Altough I almost invariably agree with and enjoy your posts I will have to disagree this time.

Small, unruly, spoiled and noisy children, left to run amok by incompetent parents, serve no useful purpose, are likely to grow into dysfunctional adults, and are not to be tolerated under any circumstances.

Ahh Marianh - now YOU are being moneyist, and possibly Spartan (or is that Trojan?).

Altough I almost invariably agree with and enjoy your posts I will have to disagree this time.

Small, unruly, spoiled and noisy children, left to run amok by incompetent parents, serve no useful purpose, are likely to grow into dysfunctional adults, and are not to be tolerated under any circumstances.

I admit to Trojan tendencies and that I can be Sagastic at times.

Thankfully our cruises on Seabourn have not been disrupted by such feral behaviour ( so far!). The only children we have seen have been very well behaved and not a problem. However some adults...:rolleyes:

Seems to me from my perusal of the new catalog that in fact there are more 10 day cruises than their used to be. For us that might be a good opportunity to go from back to back 7 day Med cruises to BTB 10 day cruises.We typically enjoy mid Spetember but might change things up an look at a May trip. For sure we will avoid cruising during peak summer crowd season.

Maybe in an increasingly risky world, Europe is the least risk for your physical safety. But maybe not for your wallet. Watch out for Greeks bearing gifts and hang on to your Euros, we may be in for a rough ride. No offence intended to our European Community partners in the Peloponnese.

We are all Greeks.

English poet (1792 - 1822)

We are all Greeks.

English poet (1792 - 1822)

Ah, Percy. Thank you for reminding me of another of his quotations that resonates well with this thread. Viz:

" There is a harmony

In autumn, a lustre in its sky,

Which through the summer is not heard or seen,

As if it could not be, as if it had not been!"

So, perhaps another reason for cruising in the Autumn.

Ah, Percy. Thank you for reminding me of another of his quotations that resonates well with this thread. Viz:

" There is a harmony

In autumn, a lustre in its sky,

Which through the summer is not heard or seen,

As if it could not be, as if it had not been!"

So, perhaps another reason for cruising in the Autumn.

Nice one.

English Romantic poetry is a personal favorite, (Coleridge,Keats,Wardsworth,etc).

And an interesting bit of Trivia apropos Shelley.

He died in 1822. Lost at sea while sailing off Italy:eek:

Didn't know of his loss at sea. The things you learn on CC.

And his friend Byron, a Philhellene and perhaps inspired by Shelley's "We are all Greeks", died just two years later...in Greece.

Archived