Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

Homerun, the same happened with our tickets. We had the airline booking reference issued for months, and when I decided to call into the airline to move our seats, I was told that this was not possible until the tickets were actually "issued" by Viking.

When we typically buy airline tickets online, we don't have the option to "hold" the booking (you commit, or you lose the price they guarantee), but Viking, because they purchase in bulk, has the ability to hold.

In order to secure your seats, you need Viking to actually "issue" your tickets, but they will tell you that they usually don't do that until much closer to departure date.

The good news is that until you have your tickets officially issued by Viking, it's still worth investigating alternate flights and costing out the price difference. Once your tickets are issued, then the cost is much higher to make any changes.

We are flying United and when I go online to view my reservation it says that the reservation is not ticketed yet I am able to change my seats.

We are flying United and when I go online to view my reservation it says that the reservation is not ticketed yet I am able to change my seats.

Hmm...maybe different policies for different airlines? I'm flying Air Canada. I tried to leverage my FF status to change the seats. I called twice and both agents had told me the same thing - no changes until tickets are issued. Maybe I just had bad luck.

We flew United to China from Chicago and upgraded to Economy Plus (or whatever it is called on United). We got a lot more leg room. It was definitely worth the extra cost. Seats are limited, so if you want to upgrade, do it early.

SteadyAT............it does depend on the airline wheather you can change seats or not. Viking does not formally "ticket" flights until 30 to 45 days out.

We are also flying Air Canada and want to upgrade to better seats, have tried with AC but no luck, I am going to call Viking tomorrow to find out when they will be issuing tickets. Has anyone asked them to issue tickets earlier than they normally do? If so have you had any luck? It is only 61 days until we leave so I am hoping they will issue the tickets.

Hmm...maybe different policies for different airlines? I'm flying Air Canada. I tried to leverage my FF status to change the seats. I called twice and both agents had told me the same thing - no changes until tickets are issued. Maybe I just had bad luck.

SteadyAT............it does depend on the airline wheather you can change seats or not. Viking does not formally "ticket" flights until 30 to 45 days out.
I think H2Otstr is right. We were originally supposed to fly on Air China for JFK to Beijing. We did not have a seat assignment and when I called Air China they said that they cold not assign seats until the tickect was issued. I'm so happy we got switched to United because I am particular about my seats.

We are also flying Air Canada and want to upgrade to better seats, have tried with AC but no luck, I am going to call Viking tomorrow to find out when they will be issuing tickets. Has anyone asked them to issue tickets earlier than they normally do? If so have you had any luck? It is only 61 days until we leave so I am hoping they will issue the tickets.

Hi K&A, I had asked Viking to issue tickets earlier, and they indicated there would be an admin charge (IIRC, maybe $25/booking). Otherwise they typically issue approx 45 days before departure. I was able to get tickets issued early, with the assistance of my TA and some back-and-forth with Viking who ultimately relented. Of course, once the ticket is issued, it is not-changeable in terms of your flight.

When you say "upgrade" to better seats, I'm not sure if you just mean changing seat assignment or actually moving from Economy to Business. Note that Viking issues the equivalent of "Tango" (in Air Canada speak) which is non-upgradeable even if you have upgrade credits. If you have FF status, usually you can move your seats to a more preferred area of the cabin (exit rows will still be charged $).

Hope that helps.

Edited by SteadyAT

Hi K&A, I had asked Viking to issue tickets earlier, and they indicated there would be an admin charge (IIRC, maybe $25/booking). Otherwise they typically issue approx 45 days before departure. I was able to get tickets issued early, with the assistance of my TA and some back-and-forth with Viking who ultimately relented. Of course, once the ticket is issued, it is not-changeable in terms of your flight.

When you say "upgrade" to better seats, I'm not sure if you just mean changing seat assignment or actually moving from Economy to Business. Note that Viking issues the equivalent of "Tango" (in Air Canada speak) which is non-upgradeable even if you have upgrade credits. If you have FF status, usually you can move your seats to a more preferred area of the cabin (exit rows will still be charged $).

Hope that helps.

Thank you for your info, I will see what Viking will do for us tomorrow, we booked directly with them so no option of a TA for help. We decided to book with Viking as we have a forced overnight stay and wanted to have the hotel and airport transfer covered. We are wanting to pay for bulk head seats, when I called AC they had everything set then told me they couldn't do it yet as the ticket hasn't been issued. We do have FF points but no status that will help. We are happy with our flights so no issue about it not being changeable. I suppose that since they haven't issued a ticket yet we could book the flight directly with AC then pay the extra night at the hotel and transfer from the airport (I checked and we can book the identical flights) or does Viking charge us for canelling out booking with them?

Anybody? ANYBODY? going to be in Beijing Sunday, July 7th and would like to meet up and go for a fabulous meal at Black Sesame Kitchen (rated #1 on Trip Advisors and heavily and favorably reviewed on these threads), I would like to put a group together. We are flying in a day or 2 early. We need a minimum of 4 people. My husband and I are traveling alone, so we are looking for others. I have been in touch with Michelle at BSK, a little early, I know, but I did not want to miss this experience.

As an alternative, there is also July 6th (Saturday night), but she has a minimum of 8 people requirement and sometimes the small restaurant is taken over by a group that books the whole restaurant.

If you are interested, please post here.

Lauri

Thanks for the tip, Pacmom. I will keep it in mind. I am always looking for a good restaurant suggestion. I read about Made in China, but now I know where it is located. Other people have also posted that Made in China was very good. We had a duck dinner several years ago at QuanJude, but we did not care for it. Maybe it was the restaurant, maybe it was the duck, but we were disappointed.

Lauri

Anybody? ANYBODY? going to be in Beijing Sunday, July 7th and would like to meet up and go for a fabulous meal at Black Sesame Kitchen (rated #1 on Trip Advisors and heavily and favorably reviewed on these threads), I would like to put a group together. We are flying in a day or 2 early. We need a minimum of 4 people.

As Lauren posted above, I am also looking for people on the 3/5/13 cruise starting in Beijing to join up to dine at Black Sesame Kitchen. It would be the evening of the 5th which is our "free" day. Please reply to this if you are on this cruise and are interested. I've heard the food and experience are unbelievable. Good luck to Lauren as she tries to do the same thing!

Sue

Is anyone else travelling on April 4 Viking Emerald - Imperial Jewels of china

I have not yet got my visa, how long of a process is this to get. Should I be getting worried about it yet .. I have to travel a ways to get it ...or send it in the mail.

Thanks for the tip, Pacmom. I will keep it in mind. I am always looking for a good restaurant suggestion. I read about Made in China, but now I know where it is located. Other people have also posted that Made in China was very good. We had a duck dinner several years ago at QuanJude, but we did not care for it. Maybe it was the restaurant, maybe it was the duck, but we were disappointed.

Lauri

I'll second the recommendation for Made in China (and have praised it on these threads before). We actually stayed at the Hyatt for three nights before we moved over to the Viking hotel to start our trip in May 2011. We made our reservation at Made in China before leaving for Beijing thru the hotel concierge, who also pre-ordered the duck for us. He suggested a half duck for two people, leaving us "room" to try other dishes. It was a wonderful meal. Other folks on our tour had duck at Da Dong and enjoyed it too, so that's another option.

Here's our duck being carved table-side for us at Made in China; makes me hungry all over again....:)

MadeinChina_01.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

I have not yet got my visa, how long of a process is this to get. Should I be getting worried about it yet .. I have to travel a ways to get it ...or send it in the mail.

Don't wait until the last minute. Allow at least three weeks for processing when sent by mail.

Many of us here have used a visa service to get our visas and have had no trouble doing so. In most cases, it is cheaper than actually going to the consulate. Check the consular website but I think that you will find that you cannot mail your visa request directly to the consulate. Those who live near a consulate have walked in with their application. The consular website will tell you which office serves your part of the country.

The name of a visa service and the needed forms should have been included in papers from Viking shortly after you booked your cruise.

Hi justmesk, as you're in Saskatchewan, I think you're better off mailing your application to the Calgary Chinese Visa Application Service Centre (CVASC), unless you find yourself going to Calgary for a few days. Over the last years, visa applications from all ordinary passport holders should be submitted to these CVASCs, rather than to the Chinese embassy.

If you're applying for a single-entry, you have to enter China within 90 days of visa issuance. Regular turn-around time is 4 business days to get your visa + time for mailing to/from.

I applied for mine in-person at a CVASC in Toronto on Jan 28 and the visa was ready for pick-up Jan 31. My departure is March 3 for March 5 Viking Imperial Jewels.

The name of a visa service and the needed forms should have been included in papers from Viking shortly after you booked your cruise.

Unfortunately, the visa service recommended by Viking services Americans, not Canadians. Obviously there are many visa services in Canada (similar to Generations Visa) to help Canadians obtain their China tourist visas.

At the same time, to make things more efficient and to reduce line-ups at the Chinese embassies, they have recently established "official" China Visa Application Service Centers in key cities dedicated to processing visa applications (and possibly to compete with these other visa services!).

Unfortunately, the visa service recommended by Viking services Americans, not Canadians. Obviously there are many visa services in Canada (similar to Generations Visa) to help Canadians obtain their China tourist visas.

At the same time, to make things more efficient and to reduce line-ups at the Chinese embassies, they have recently established "official" China Visa Application Service Centers in key cities dedicated to processing visa applications (and possibly to compete with these other visa services!).

Is there a link that you can post for the CVASCs? Something that would tell where they are located and other helpful information. TIA.

This is the link to the CVASCs that the Chinese Embassies in Canada are diverting holders of ordinary passports to for receiving visa applications, receiving payments and returning visas. Essentially, they are a conduit to the Chinese Embassy for processing visas, but the issuing of visas is still the decision of the Chinese Embassy.

http://www.visaforchina.org/

There are currently four CVASCs in Canada - Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, & Ottawa. I believe CVASCs will be opening in the USA soon.

Thank you for your info, I will see what Viking will do for us tomorrow, we booked directly with them so no option of a TA for help. We decided to book with Viking as we have a forced overnight stay and wanted to have the hotel and airport transfer covered. We are wanting to pay for bulk head seats, when I called AC they had everything set then told me they couldn't do it yet as the ticket hasn't been issued. We do have FF points but no status that will help. We are happy with our flights so no issue about it not being changeable. I suppose that since they haven't issued a ticket yet we could book the flight directly with AC then pay the extra night at the hotel and transfer from the airport (I checked and we can book the identical flights) or does Viking charge us for canelling out booking with them?

We're also flying with AC and to be honest, I couldn't match Viking's price out of Vancouver by booking directly with AC. We flew to China with AC a couple of years ago and found, unlike domestic AC, the service and seats were quite good. Both this trip coming up and the one two years ago, we had two seats on the side so no issue with that middle seat business that crops up on some of the larger carriers.

Also, meeting the hotel prices can be a challenge. And if you do decide to do it independently, make sure you have the name of the hotel in Chinese characters as many of the airport cabbies neither speak nor read English.

When are you heading out - we're booked on Roof of the World for April 20th.

This is the link to the CVASCs that the Chinese Embassies in Canada are diverting holders of ordinary passports to for receiving visa applications, receiving payments and returning visas. Essentially, they are a conduit to the Chinese Embassy for processing visas, but the issuing of visas is still the decision of the Chinese Embassy.

http://www.visaforchina.org/

There are currently four CVASCs in Canada - Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, & Ottawa. I believe CVASCs will be opening in the USA soon.

Also, check what the office in the closest city's policy is. While geographically we're closer to Calgary, because we live in BC we have to use the Vancouver office. Our visas were approved in two days but that office only takes direct deposit to their BMO account or a money wire so I'll probably not get my passports/visas back for another week (had to wire the money as there's also no BMO nearby :-( ).

Found the Vancouver office friendly and efficient. I'd made a couple of oops that were able to be corrected over the phone. For Roof of the World Viking wants a 12 month multiple entry but that's because that's all you can get in the States. Here in Canada, you can get a 6 month multiple entry.

Think this is mainly to cover not only Tibet also those who are doing the Hong Kong Guilin extension. Hope this helps.

I didn't realize that we had to send any information to Operations at Viking. What do we have to do? Does it make a difference that we are US citizens?

The sending of the info to Operations at Viking is for the Roof of the World trip only - they take care of the Tibet travel permits and to do that they need colour copies of both our passports and our visas.

If you're doing the other trips, not sure it applies.

The sending of the info to Operations at Viking is for the Roof of the World trip only - they take care of the Tibet travel permits and to do that they need colour copies of both our passports and our visas.

If you're doing the other trips, not sure it applies.

Thanks. We are doing Jewels and I don't think Viking asked for anything with our Visas. I may check with my TA (who is going with us) just to make sure.