Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

Hello, My name is Debbie and I'm doing the Imperial Jewels of China, November 10,2013. This will be my first river cruise. Has anyone done the extra days in Hong Kong? Did you enjoy it? Was it worth the extra money? Has anyone went in November? Cold? Will start reading thread today:) Hope I will not make anyone too upset with all my questions:))

Hope I will not make anyone too upset with all my questions:))

No one will be upset with your questions, just ask away as you may jave many of them.

Unfortunately, I cannot answer the questions you asked as I neither did the trip that time or year nor did the HK part. I am sure others will have the answers you seek.

Hello, My name is Debbie and I'm doing the Imperial Jewels of China, November 10,2013. This will be my first river cruise. Has anyone done the extra days in Hong Kong? Did you enjoy it? Was it worth the extra money? Has anyone went in November? Cold? Will start reading thread today:) Hope I will not make anyone too upset with all my questions:))

Hi Debbie,

We are on the November 17th Imperial Jewels trip, and I had all the same questions. I met a very helpfull individual on Trip Advisor that did a November '11 Imperial Jewels trip (Shanghai to Beijing) and left a great review. He was also very open to answering any of my questions, and quick to respond to emails. He has an open face book page with a ton of pictures. So check out TA for reveiws of the Viking Emerald and look for a very recent one from Neil H. There are 49 reviews.

Edited by G&L in WPG

Sorry, but my memory must be failing me. I checked my TA messages, and Neil's review was actually on the Shanghai Shangri-la hotel, not on the Viking Emerald. PM me an email address and I will send the message postings to you.

Hello Lisa, Thanks for all your help. debbie4a @ yahoo dot com Wish you were going with us on the 10th... Debbie

I'll second the recommendation for Made in China (and have praised it on these threads before). We actually stayed at the Hyatt for three nights before we moved over to the Viking hotel to start our trip in May 2011. We made our reservation at Made in China before leaving for Beijing thru the hotel concierge, who also pre-ordered the duck for us. He suggested a half duck for two people, leaving us "room" to try other dishes. It was a wonderful meal. Other folks on our tour had duck at Da Dong and enjoyed it too, so that's another option.

Here's our duck being carved table-side for us at Made in China; makes me hungry all over again....:)

MadeinChina_01.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Thanks for putting in your 2 cents or is it your 2 yuans? The picture makes me salivate. I can almost smell and taste the duck. I want to reach right in and snatch a piece to put on a pancake. Yum!

Lauri

We're also flying with AC and to be honest, I couldn't match Viking's price out of Vancouver by booking directly with AC. We flew to China with AC a couple of years ago and found, unlike domestic AC, the service and seats were quite good. Both this trip coming up and the one two years ago, we had two seats on the side so no issue with that middle seat business that crops up on some of the larger carriers.

Also, meeting the hotel prices can be a challenge. And if you do decide to do it independently, make sure you have the name of the hotel in Chinese characters as many of the airport cabbies neither speak nor read English.

When are you heading out - we're booked on Roof of the World for April 20th.

We are flying out April 12th to Beijing for Imperial Jewels and an extension to Hong Kong. That is only 2 months away, getting very excited!

I checked out prices for air/hotel/airport transfer and after doing so decided to stay with what we had booked with Viking. We paid the fee to have our tickets issued yesterday and have booked preferred seats on our flights, we felt the cost was worth it to have some extra room for such a long flight, especially for my husband who is 6'2" .

Just to update my "extra day in Shanghai" post, Viking told our TA yesterday that an additional day in our hotel (Fairmont Peace) would cost $407 and that Viking would charge $100 per person to change our return flight by one day. In addition we would loose our hotel/airport transfer and our guide's help at the airport. Finally, Viking could not guarantee us the same flight one day later - all understandable.

Viking issued our tickets yesterday (six plus weeks prior to our departure) and our reservations show up as "confirmed" on United's web site. So we have been able to change our seats.

Now all I have to do is figure out a way to get DW to one of the fabric stores in Shanghai since we will not be going to Suzhou.

'

Just to update my "extra day in Shanghai" post, Viking told our TA yesterday that an additional day in our hotel (Fairmont Peace) would cost $407 and that Viking would charge $100 per person to change our return flight by one day. In addition we would loose our hotel/airport transfer and our guide's help at the airport. Finally, Viking could not guarantee us the same flight one day later - all understandable.

Viking issued our tickets yesterday (six plus weeks prior to our departure) and our reservations show up as "confirmed" on United's web site. So we have been able to change our seats.

Now all I have to do is figure out a way to get DW to one of the fabric stores in Shanghai since we will not be going to Suzhou. '

Hi Homerun, Thanks for letting us know the result of your dealings with Viking River. Sounds similar to what our results were although we ended up with a net of $800 saved with them changing our reservation vs. our TA making the reservation even with the cost of the change--the TA's tickets would have cost us $1000 more total and with 200 to change return flight net 800. Plus we are staying a few days after the "cruise" so it is more worth it to us. We did make our changes right at the beginning before we even finalized everything so it's interesting that they don't charge you more in the middle of the process--good for those who change their minds I guess. I can see why you wouldn't want to do it for one day. Too bad because I'm sure your wife is disappointed not to be able to visit more places to buy fabric! Whatever we all do it is going to be fabulous according to most of the "conversations" here on this thread. I hope you find a way to get to a fabric store in shanghai (maybe skip some of the other shopping stops of less interest "materially"?--punny). Only 20 days left for the 3/5 cruise and we are leaving on the 3rd. It's all starting to hit home...

Good afternoon,

I haven't posted but a couple of times but have been keeping up with the

thread. I have gotten so much good information from here.

We are on the May 1, 2013 Imperial Jewels with an extended stay in Beijing at the end. My husband's father and aunt were born in Tientsin which is now Tianjin. They lived in the British Concession. He wants to try to find the location if possible.

We did contact our TA got our airline changed from Delta (houston to minneapolis to tokoyo to shanghai) to United (houston to los angeles to shanghai)....so we can get air miles...and MUCH better route. Of course, they are not ticketed yet...but am thinking about paying the extra for ticketing now. They also gave the TA the hotels where we are staying. I like looking on the internet and checking things out early. :)

Later this month we will get our things together and go to the chinese consulate in Houston.

BTW...yes, this is our first river cruise. Any help or information is really appreciated. So far, it doesn't seem like anyone here is traveling on the same cruise. Oh well, we will have fun!

I look forward to reading a lot more posts before we leave.

Susan and John

So far, it doesn't seem like anyone here is traveling on the same cruise. Oh well, we will have fun!

You never know who is reading this thread. Maybe there are other members in our reading audience (is that an oxymoron?) who will be sailing with you. Is there a roll call for your cruise? If not, why not start one? There is a link to the river cruise roll calls at the top of this page. There is still plenty of time to find fellow passengers.

BTW, China was our first river cruise. Now we are spoiled and compare every cruise to our China experience. It's our new gold standard!

We did contact our TA got our airline changed from Delta (houston to minneapolis to tokoyo to shanghai) to United (houston to los angeles to shanghai)....so we can get air miles...and MUCH better route. Of course, they are not ticketed yet...but am thinking about paying the extra for ticketing now.

Susan and John,

What return flight are you taking from Beijing? I'm also in Houston and I'm going to Shanghai via Chicago on United for my June trip. We return from Beijing via San Francisico on United.

Thanks,

Travel Girl TX

Hi Travel Girl TX,

I had copied the United flights and then tried to delete and just type them myself but this site must be overloaded. If I post twice, please excuse me. :confused:

The flight from Beijing is UA888. It leaves at 12:00 pm and arrives San Francisco at 8:25 am. Next flight is UA230 leaves SF 10:40am and arrives

Houston 4:21 pm.

Susan

We are flying out April 12th to Beijing for Imperial Jewels and an extension to Hong Kong. That is only 2 months away, getting very excited!

I checked out prices for air/hotel/airport transfer and after doing so decided to stay with what we had booked with Viking. We paid the fee to have our tickets issued yesterday and have booked preferred seats on our flights, we felt the cost was worth it to have some extra room for such a long flight, especially for my husband who is 6'2" .

What was the charge for having the tickets issued "early"? What is considered early?

I was chatting with a Chinese college professor that teaches English at a university in Jinzhou which is in northeast China. I was commenting about how friendly the Chinese were to Americans during our visits China.

Here is her reply...Chinese like laowai(foreigners) and like taking their photos to take back home and show family that they meet laowai. Very proud thing for them to do.

So remember you're actually doing them a favor by being accessible and friendly.

Right now the people in northern China are in their homes wearing gloves, scarves, and winter coats while chatting on the computer. They are shocked to see me wearing a T-shirt in the dead of winter.

We were on the Nov. 11 Imperial Jewels last year and loved it. We didn't do the Hong Kong extension, so can't answer about that, but I can tell you about the weather. It was beautifully clear in Beijing (to our great surprise), but quite cold and very windy. But that wind drove the smog away, so we didn't mind it at all. I took my parka and a few sweaters and was not cold in Beijing. Layering is the way to go! But it was painfully cold and windy at the Great Wall. It had snowed a bit up there the night before we were there, so we were delayed getting on the Wall while it was cleared. Take your long underwear to wear on that excursion - I'm not kidding! It was warmer in Xian and on the river. By the time we were in Shanghai, I only needed my light rain jacket (yes, it was raining). The dining room on the Emerald is quite warm, so no sweaters needed there! If you're lucky, you'll get Yang as your guide - he was the best. Of course, everyone says that about their guide!

Now all I have to do is figure out a way to get DW to one of the fabric stores in Shanghai since we will not be going to Suzhou.

'

I contacted the Peace Fairmont directly and as a President's club member (you can sign up on the Fairmont website) they have given us a great rate for three extra days - works out to just over $800 for the three nights and this includes the breakfast buffet - for a Fairmont, this is more than reasonable.

Email the hotel directly and see what they're willing to do.

Hi there

Ok, all our papers are in order and now we just wait for the documents to arrive from Viking. I've dealt directly with them - stopped using a TA a few years back as I was doing all the ground work and then paying someone else to do the booking ;) I think as long as you're dealing with a reputable tour company such as Viking and using VISA to pay you're relatively safe.

Anyhoo, I was wondering if anyone else is flying out of Vancouver to Beijing on April 18,2013. If so, maybe we could meet up at YVR for a coffee or snack before the flight? Sort of a blind date - LOL.

We're headed off to the Roof of the World and getting pretty excited about the whole experience.

Oh, one more quick question - we're going to beg of the first day (Forbidden Palace etc) as we were there independently 2 years ago and would like to explore Beijing a little on our own that day - joining up with the group the next day. I asked Viking and they said to just let our guide know our plans. Has anyone else done this? Any issues?

Thanks

I was chatting with a Chinese college professor that teaches English at a university in Jinzhou which is in northeast China. I was commenting about how friendly the Chinese were to Americans during our visits China.

Here is her reply...Chinese like laowai(foreigners) and like taking their photos to take back home and show family that they meet laowai. Very proud thing for them to do.

So remember you're actually doing them a favor by being accessible and friendly.

Right now the people in northern China are in their homes wearing gloves, scarves, and winter coats while chatting on the computer. They are shocked to see me wearing a T-shirt in the dead of winter.

Brrr...hope it's warmer there by March 4th (I'm thinking layers and one-size-fits-all gloves). Thanks for the additional cultural insights Kohola! (Leaving exactly 2 weeks from today) :)

I contacted the Peace Fairmont directly and as a President's club member (you can sign up on the Fairmont website) they have given us a great rate for three extra days - works out to just over $800 for the three nights and this includes the breakfast buffet - for a Fairmont, this is more than reasonable.

Email the hotel directly and see what they're willing to do.

Thanks very much. I'll check it out.

HR

Hi all, We are doing Imperial Jewles, starting in Beijing starting April 14th. Anyone know what the weather will be like that time of year in the various places we will be?

Also does anyone know of any restictions in regards to clothing when entering any of the sites on the trip. In some parts of the world women are required towear long pants or skirts and long sleeve tops when entering various holy places. I was wondering if this was the case in China.

Hi all, We are doing Imperial Jewles, starting in Beijing starting April 14th. Anyone know what the weather will be like that time of year in the various places we will be?

Also does anyone know of any restictions in regards to clothing when entering any of the sites on the trip. In some parts of the world women are required towear long pants or skirts and long sleeve tops when entering various holy places. I was wondering if this was the case in China.

No clothing restrictions on Imperial Jewels when we were in China two years ago.

We just received our hotel assignments for the China Explorer trip July 7th. I will have to check out the hotels. Of course I understand that everything is subject to change.

Deluxe Accommodations:

Beijing - Fairmont Beijing

Xian - Hilton Xian

Chengdu - Millennium Chengdu

Lijiang - Crowne Plaza Lijiang

Chongqing - JW Marriott

Shanghai - Fairmont Peace Hotel

We paid the $100 extra for custom air, so I can start working with the TA on this now.

I am beyond excited!

Thanks to everyone for all their valuable information on every topic imaginable and the great pictures. I have learned so much!

Lauri