Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

Steve, just read through trip advisor reviews of both the Xian Hilton and the Crown Plaza. Both seem to have problems. Your input appreciated.

Thanks

We stayed at the Xian Hilton with Viking in April and it was perfectly fine. It is a very nice hotel. The lobby is beautiful. The rooms are nice and they had an included full buffet breakfast. Not sure what the "problems" are.

Steve, just read through trip advisor reviews of both the Xian Hilton and the Crown Plaza. Both seem to have problems.

I doubt there is a single hotel on Trip Advisor that someone hasn't complained about, but I tend to ignore most of those posts when as in this case the rating for the Xian Hilton is an average of 4.5/5.0 with over 440 reviews.

I doubt there is a single hotel on Trip Advisor that someone hasn't complained about, but I tend to ignore most of those posts when as in this case the rating for the Xian Hilton is an average of 4.5/5.0 with over 440 reviews.

Besides which, you really don't spend that much time in your hotel room.

Steve, just read through trip advisor reviews of both the Xian Hilton and the Crown Plaza. Both seem to have problems. Your input appreciated.

Thanks

When reading reviews on Trip Advisor, always be aware of a couple of things:

1) Some people will always be unhappy.

2) How people view hotels is often based on the individual's expectations. Many people staying in 5-star hotels have unreasonably high expectations. Many staying in, say, 2-star horels have incredibly low expectations...

IMHO, ALL of the hotels we stayed at in China were excellent. Of course, some were better than others. All have some less than perfect points...if I wanted to nitpick...but, on the whole, I really can't complain about any of them...

But I'll give a "quickie" review on each:

Beijing Ritz Carlton Financial Street: Hotel was beautiful, room impeccable...If there was a negative at all, it is that the location was a bit of a taxi ride away from attractions--which only affects you for those pre-cruise days before the tour begins in earnest and you are on your own. There was a shopping mall attached to the hotel--but only very expensive designer shops. There was a row of restaurants across the street from the back of the hotel with TGI Friday, Pizza Hut, Starbucks and others...Hotel buffet breakfast was excellent.

Xi'an Hilton: Nice hotel...Only seemed a little down because the Ritz before it was so nice. This one was a little older, but still, very well kept. An easy walk to the City Walls, but, otherwise, the immediate neighborhood seemed a bit sketchy. Was the least favorite of the hotels...but that's like saying "the worst looking finalist in the Miss America Pageant"...

Shanghai Shangri-La Jing'an: Definitely our favorite...Very modern--straight down to TVs embedded in bathroom mirror to door locks that didn't require you to insert the card in a slot. Unbelievable city views. Top flight breakfast buffet. If there was a negative here it was that the location was pretty remote--but, of course, we really didn't have much free time to go anywhere anyway...

Guilin Shangri-La: I am guessing the nicest hotel in Guilin...Grounds were beautiful, hotel very nice. Neighborhood was sketchy...We went out for a walk and my wife couldn't wait to get back to the hotel. Nice lobby bar, but shops were sparse...

Hong Kong Shangri-La Kowloon: First rate hotel...great location. Walking distance to upscale shopping on Nathan Street, to the Riverfront (and evening light show) and to the ferry. Lots of restaurant choices nearby.

Again, overall, I would gladly stay again in ANY of these hotels. When we travel, we usually stick to 4 and 5 star hotels wherever we go...and, if any of these were not to those standards, I would notice it and say something. I can't here. Clearly these hotels are all worthy of their ratings. IMHO...

IMHO, ALL of the hotels we stayed at in China were excellent.

Beijing Ritz Carlton Financial Street: Hotel was beautiful, room impeccable

Xi'an Hilton: Nice hotel

Shanghai Shangri-La Jing'an:

We had different hotels than you did in China with Viking, but each one of them was excellent. Some of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed in.

Edited by caribill

The b.s.k. Restaurant is now open an accepting reservations again. I currently have one for oct.3,2014.

Thanks for the update.

B.S.K.=Black Sesame Kitchen, a restaurant that has been discussed and recommended over the past couple of years. They lost their lease and now have reopened in a new location.

WCROSBY9, will you share the e-mail address or a URL? Any additional information would be helpful.Thanks.

Just had our reservation for Oct 17th confirmed :)

Mark T, finally someone who is on same trip as us...I assume...Roof of the World/October 3rd? Just reading Trip Advisor and reviews of BSK in new location. I wonder what 'expensive' means? Are you filling a table or going as a couple on Friday/17th? Do you plan to go for the Peking Duck dinner on the 16th? We are going to opt out, but definitely doing the Tang Dynasty on 14th in Xian. We are leaving for Shanghai on Sep 30th.

Mark T, finally someone who is on same trip as us...I assume...Roof of the World/October 3rd?

Sadly not, we are on 'Imperial Jewels' which starts in Beijing on the 15th.

Just reading Trip Advisor and reviews of BSK in new location. I wonder what 'expensive' means?

"We serve a ten-course set menu inclusive of 2.5 hours of wine, beer and non-alcoholic beverage service, for 300 RMB per person. Cash only please."

I certainly wouldn't regard that as expensive.

Are you filling a table or going as a couple on Friday/17th? Do you plan to go for the Peking Duck dinner on the 16th?

It is just the two of us on the 17th, Tuesday and Friday nights they accept bookings from smaller groups and couples, so do let us know if you end up booking for the 17th.

Fortunately for us, our 'Peking Duck dinner' is on the 17th so we'll be skipping that one and taking care of that ourselves on the 15th when there is no activity scheduled with the tour.

We were at the Orchid Hotel location of BSK in May. Thel venue is very nice, the restaurant is modern looking and very comfortable, the restaurant is on the second floor and has a lovely deck for before dinner drinks. I suggest that you have your hotel write out the name and address of the Orchid in Chinese, in case you have to ask people for directions. When we went, we knew that our taxi would not be able to drive us directly to the hotel, but would drop us off at the main street, and we would walk up what is a narrow street that is basically for pedestrians to the hotel. Either the taxi driver pointed to the wrong pedestrian street, or we didn't understand his gesture (he spoke no English), but we ended up going down the wrong street. When we realized that we were in the wrong place we had no idea who we could ask for directions, since we didn't have the name and address in Chinese. (Luckily we found an English woman who spoke Chinese, and she was able to get directions for us.)

We considered BSK to be the best meal we had in mainland China, and a great value.

I suggest that you have your hotel write out the name and address of the Orchid in Chinese' date=' in case you have to ask people for directions.[/quote']

If it helps anyone, this is the address of The Orchid:

北京市东城区鼓楼东大街宝钞胡同65号

This map should help as well:

http://theorchidbeijing.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/maptoorchid-3-1030x835.png

Edited by Mark_T

I thought I read on tripadvisor (very recent reviews) that BSK had moved to new location (no longer at Orchid Hotel), hard to find, etc. Am I out to lunch so to speak?

Mark let me mull over your dates and I will get back to you. Someone wrote expensive, but I agree $50/person is quite all right.

I thought I read on tripadvisor (very recent reviews) that BSK had moved to new location (no longer at Orchid Hotel), hard to find, etc. Am I out to lunch so to speak?

The review was referring to the Orchid, it is indeed difficult to find and down a small side street :)

Ignore my last post. I finally went to website and it is all clear now. Mark, I have emailed for reservation on October 17. Will let you know if positive response. That is our second to last night in Beijing. We are at the Fairmont Beijing.

Ignore my last post. I finally went to website and it is all clear now. Mark, I have emailed for reservation on October 17. Will let you know if positive response. That is our second to last night in Beijing. We are at the Fairmont Beijing.

Good to hear :)

They have us at the 'Kerry Hotel', looks like we'll have similar distances to travel.

We'll be using the subway I expect, not sure if that is the best option where you are though..

Edited by Mark_T

Mark,

Coco has responded and accepted our reservation. I asked if we could be placed at table with a "Mark T" so hopefully that will happen. Where are you from? I saw the Kerry is not too far from Fairmont, but obviously you know more about the subway than me. We have a tour with Sunflower on the 18th...I will email her and ask her advice on mode of transportation. It will be dark then so taxi might be better. Thanks for getting me kick started on BSK.

Lynne & Lance

Coco has responded and accepted our reservation. I asked if we could be placed at table with a "Mark T" so hopefully that will happen. Where are you from?

I'll email Coco as well and confirm we are the couple to seat next to 'Lynne & Lance'.

We are from the UK, but I spend about half my time each month in the USA, so my accent is suffering :)

I saw the Kerry is not too far from Fairmont, but obviously you know more about the subway than me. We have a tour with Sunflower on the 18th...I will email her and ask her advice on mode of transportation. It will be dark then so taxi might be better.

You are about 1 or 2 stops closer to BSK than we are and your hotel is quite close to the subway.

Getting a taxi there should be pretty easy if you prefer that, just be prepared to navigate from where they drop you off on the main road, the map I posted shows the route.

Taxi on the way back may be a little harder to sort out as they are notorious for not wanting to stop, or go where you want to go :)

It will be interesting to see what Sunflower suggests for you.

This is great Mark. We shall look forward to it. You will be beginning your tour and we will be ending. We will have lots to talk about. Earlier in the day we are doing the Square, Forbidden City, Summer Palace. We are 2nd generation CDN as all grandparents born England. We also lived in CA for a few years.