Scare on the QM2 this evening

Kiltboys

The website is below but does not cover all areas - the map shows you where.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

Thanks Laktex. I've saved that website to "favorites"...but I'm having a problem figuring out the current general location of QM2. The Cunard website indicates QM2 is currently of the coat of Prince Edward Island.

Regarding weather in that area see http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/story/2011/10/05/pei-storm-maritimes-584.html

Edited by Salacia

We're taking Amtrak to New York later this morning (just about given up looking for DW's Transderm Scop patches) so we'd be up there before we get any definitive news about a schedule impact.

No notification on your Voyage Personalizer?

Enjoy your train ride, safe journey. Are you taking your laptop? -If so, please stay in touch :) Regards, Salacia

P.S. Regarding the patch, you'll see several Duane Reade stores in Manhattan... ask if they have it.

Edited by Salacia

I do hope that no one is hurt and that the ship and everyone on board is safe and well.

I hope after all that the makes it safe to NYC and over to Southampton, we are due to board on the 16th, we sailed sometime ago on three pods and everything was fine, I am sure QM2 can handle this,

Rob

It's not the pods, they are electric motors and are unaffected. It's the power plant producing the electricicles. There still should be plenty of power to run the ship as normal providing there is no collateral damage.

No notification yet from Cunard about any changes, but since it apparently happened overnight I expect that it's still too early for shoreside to have put together a notification plan. We booked directly through Cunard so they'd be the ones to provide us any TA notification as well.

The patch is prescription-only and was filled over a year ago - ah well... She hasn't needed to use it on two cruises including the first on QM2 when we followed a hurricane out of NYC. I have time to run up to Walgreens for some Bonine before leaving (last time I saw ours it was in the same baggie as the patches) and we have ginger candies so probably we'll be fine.

QM2 certainly has had some problems on the Quebec City runs. The ship lost power when we were in QC, causing its departure to be delayed 6 hours, which we never were able to make up on our way back to New York. Wasn't the explosion a month or two later on her next Canada cruise, or was that on a Transatantic? I forget...

PS: The current weather in that area apparently isn't remnants of a hurricane but related to the frontal system that had made the weather in the northeast US lousy for the past few days. I recall that a couple of over-ocean flights diverted to Boston a couple of days ago with passenger injuries from turbulence...

Edited by Underwatr

It's not supposed to be in port until Friday.

Also, I think the indicated location has been inaccurate in the past between ports - I don't hold much value in the current spot on the map.

Edited by Underwatr

Rob

It's not the pods, they are electric motors and are unaffected. It's the power plant producing the electricicles. There still should be plenty of power to run the ship as normal providing there is no collateral damage.

I know, but for us it was the pods, they ran on 3 instead of 4, I think your right though, they are geared up for this and will sort it, maybe take of the 2 days cruise to france

I know, but for us it was the pods, they ran on 3 instead of 4, I think your right though, they are geared up for this and will sort it, maybe take of the 2 days cruise to france
Rob6852, Of the time that you were aboard the QM2 in July of 2006 and she ran on only 3 of the 4 pods,that was because in January of 2006 when the QM2 was in the Port of Fort Lauderdale,Florida one of the 2 fixed pods hit something and became damaged.That damaged pod was not repaired or replaced until late 2006. Regards,Jerry

I am thinking that it is weird that it is now around 12 hours after this incident happened and no passenger who is aboard the QM2 has so far not let us know of any updates.Is it possible that maybe Cunard does not want any more news of this incident going out over to messageboards like this one and has turned off the internet service aboard the QM2? And by the way there is no Gas Carbine aboard the QM2.The person who reported this scary incident should have wrote that the fire was in the Gas Turbine Engine Room which is located on the top deck of the QM2 at the base of the funnel. Regards,Jerry

Edited by Cruise Liner Fan

I am thinking that it is weird that it is now around 12 hours after this incident happened and no passenger who is aboard the QM2 has so far not let us know of any updates.Is it possible that maybe Cunard does not want any more news of this incident going out over to messageboards like this one and has turned off the internet service aboard the QM2? And by the way there is no Gas Carbine aboard the QM2.The person who reported this scary incident should have wrote that the fire was in the Gas Turbine Engine Room which is located at the top deck of the QM2 at the base of the funnel. Regards,Jerry

There is a nor'easter in that area as of yesterday--a slow moving storm. They cancelled the ferries going from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland, so it surprises me that the captain chose to head on through it. Were they coming from Quebec City?

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20111005/atlantic-canada-storm-system-111005/

There is a nor'easter in that area as of yesterday--a slow moving storm. They cancelled the ferries going from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland, so it surprises me that the captain chose to head on through it. Were they coming from Quebec City?

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20111005/atlantic-canada-storm-system-111005/

Yes the QM2 sailed from Quebec City 2 days ago October 4th.The QM2 since she is an Ocean Liner is designed to sail through bad storms like this one. Regards,Jerry

Edited by Cruise Liner Fan

I am glad there have been no reports of injuries so far. I hope that doesn't change.

Let us further hope that the sailing schedule is not disrupted, esp the remaining TAs until the refit.

I hope that a pair or more crossings aren't cancelled because she has to go into re-fit early, sailing empty from New York.

I am due to board for the two-nighter next Friday 14th, obviously not the end of the world if it were postponed (but could they do serious work on her in Southampton in three days at the QEII terminal?).

Safety of crew and passengers comes first. I hope the next news we hear is good news.

Edited by pepperrn

The Redhook terminal posted schedule shows that QM2 is to arrive on Oct. 7th. No doubt tropical storm Phillipe is causing very rough seas hundreds of miles away from the storm center. Here's a link to the storm track, although it is from the US government weather site and my not work outside the US.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/085044.shtml?5-daynl#contents

The Redhook terminal posted schedule shows that QM2 is to arrive on Oct. 7th. No doubt tropical storm Phillipe is causing very rough seas hundreds of miles away from the storm center. Here's a link to the storm track, although it is from the US government weather site and my not work outside the US.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/085044.shtml?5-daynl#contents

Not Phillipe yet. Much of what you see on that map is a predicted path. I think QM2's storm was the remains of the previous storm. Don't remember who "O" was--Olivia?

Not Phillipe yet. Much of what you see on that map is a predicted path. I think QM2's storm was the remains of the previous storm. Don't remember who "O" was--Olivia?

This is what it looks like today. There has been mandatory cancellations of ferries. I have been on these ferries and they are large ships used to rough weather.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/story/2011/10/06/pei-storm-oct6-584.html

I am glad there have been no reports of injuries so far. I hope that doesn't change.

Let us hope that the sailing schedule is not disrupted, esp the remaining TAs until the refit.

I hope that a pair or more crossings aren't cancelled because she has to go into re-fit early, sailing empty from New York.

I am due to board for the two-nighter next Friday 14th, obviously not the end of the world if it were postponed (but could they do serious work on her in Southampton in three days at the QEII terminal?).

Safety of crew and passengers comes first. I hope the next news we hear is good news.

Pepperrn, The QM2 is scheduled for a dry-dock and refit next month at a shipyard in Germany around November 26th or 27th. Regards,JERRY Edited by Cruise Liner Fan

A news search only came up with a small bit, that there was a "small fire" on board which was extinguished. Nothing more than that at the moment.

http://www.breakingnews.com/item/ahBicmVha2luZ25ld3Mtd3d3cg0LEgRTZWVkGN-h-AQM/2011/10/06/crew-extinguishes-small-fire-aboard-cruise-liner-queen-mary-2-ship-continuing-on-to-ny-as-planned-spokesman-tells-nbc-news

(While the ship is far from Philippe, major storms cause swells hundreds of miles from their center. Surfers just live for that.)

Pepperrn, The QM2 is scheduled for a dry-dock and refit next month at a shipyard in Germany around November 26th or 27th. Regards,JERRY

Thanks Jerry for the confirmation. My concern was that if any serious damage had been done it would bring that date forward, i.e. how urgent the repair work would have been.

The latest information (above, thank you mariepr) seems to point to it not being a major incident, thank goodness.

Edited by pepperrn

Thanks Jerry for the confirmation. My concern was that if any serious damage had been done it would bring that date forward, i.e. how urgent the repair work would have been.

The latest information (above, thank you mariepr) seems to point to it not being a major incident, thank goodness.

Pepperrn, Since we are now hearing that it was only a small fire that probably there will be no cancellations of any QM2 crossings or cruises. Regards,Jerry

A news search only came up with a small bit, that there was a "small fire" on board which was extinguished. Nothing more than that at the moment.

http://www.breakingnews.com/item/ahBicmVha2luZ25ld3Mtd3d3cg0LEgRTZWVkGN-h-AQM/2011/10/06/crew-extinguishes-small-fire-aboard-cruise-liner-queen-mary-2-ship-continuing-on-to-ny-as-planned-spokesman-tells-nbc-news

(While the ship is far from Philippe, major storms cause swells hundreds of miles from their center. Surfers just live for that.)

Glad to hear it was only a "small fire." I'm more curious about the rough water. We know a couple currently on board--know them slightly, friend of a friend kind of thing. Our mutual friend encouraged them to take this cruise. It's their first on QM2. I have a feeling they'll run back to their preferred cruise line after this. NOT that I blame Cunard, but I fear they will. I'm sure I'll hear all about it at some point.

(Philippe is more than 1000 miles from QM2 If a storm is ever big enough to be felt 1000 miles away from its center, you and I and the rest of the east coast are probably both going to be underwater.)

Pepperrn, Since we are now hearing that it was only a small fire that probably there will be no cancellations of any QM2 crossings or cruises. Regards,Jerry

Hi Jerry, yes, this looks like great news!

My concern was for those on both sides of the pond awaiting transatlantic crossings, I know myself the anticipation of a long voyage, my last crossing was only a few months ago.

Added to that, if people are not retired like myself, and have strictly limited holiday/vacation time from work, cancelled voyages are serious stuff!

Had my weekend break been affected, there are other occasions open to me. But for many this time at sea is a major event in their calender.

I hope the news gets better and better.

To all those sailing soon, Bon Voyage!

Edited by pepperrn