Grand Turk Advice

Jakeplays

Traveling with a family of 6 (kids 11-18) and want a nice beach day while in Grand Turk........ship doesn't arrive til 1:00 and leaves at 7:00......any recommendations for a beach not too far away. We have done the Margaritaville before.....what a nice quiet beautiful beach for 4-5 hours...thanks so much

We were there in July and had a great time. we went to a beach area behind Margarettaville. It is past the public beach area, probably about a 1/2 mi. It is not Jack's , but it is still a very nice beach and the beer and food was cheap. The water is very clear in this area. We were in water up to our chins and could still see the bottom. They had snorkeling gear for rent.

We were there in July and had a great time. we went to a beach area behind Margarettaville. It is past the public beach area, probably about a 1/2 mi. It is not Jack's , but it is still a very nice beach and the beer and food was cheap. The water is very clear in this area. We were in water up to our chins and could still see the bottom. They had snorkeling gear for rent.

They have added a whole new area that is pretty quiet to the right of the pier (as you are walking to the island). Very nice, we discovered it as we walked back to the ship in April.

Traveling with a family of 6 (kids 11-18) and want a nice beach day while in Grand Turk........ship doesn't arrive til 1:00 and leaves at 7:00......any recommendations for a beach not too far away. We have done the Margaritaville before.....what a nice quiet beautiful beach for 4-5 hours...thanks so much

A short cab ride away..Bohio Dive Resort.

We took an excursion from there but while we were waiting I would have been perfectly fine with staying there....beach bar, good conch fritters, shady areas. Lots of ships crew there.

http://www.bohioresort.com/index.html

This is a very nice clean beach about a mile or more down the beach from the port.

IMG_4179.jpg

We are hoping to see Grand Turks next year too.

Someone mentioned about being in water up to your necks, and STILL:) being able to see the bottom. I would like to see/do that.

It has been mentioned under another question, that we could get a Taxi driver to take us on a tour of the island for about $5. If you have done this, is it worth it?

you can also go right and wander the beach and collect conch shells..the water is a bit rougher over there and tosses up lots of cool stuff. Teenage daughters loved wandering over there last year, and when Hubby and I went back a couple weeks ago, that where we ended up!!

When we were done, we swam over at Jacks.

Is it farther down from Jack's Shack? We never made it past Jack's.:eek:

We are hoping to see Grand Turks next year too.

Someone mentioned about being in water up to your necks, and STILL:) being able to see the bottom. I would like to see/do that.

It has been mentioned under another question, that we could get a Taxi driver to take us on a tour of the island for about $5. If you have done this, is it worth it?

umm, yes..it's that clear!!......

GndTrkLaRomana1010066.jpg.35bb3d233de09035ff059e9ced14cbc3.jpg

If you were not dealing with a bunch of kids, I would strongly suggest taking the "train" into town and seeing how the Caribbean was before tourism became the major industry. This is changing fast and I suspect we will see a lot of difference when we are there in early November from what we saw a couple of years ago.

The beaches are good for those who like that sort of stuff.

Doc

We haven't been there in a few years. At that time we rented golf carts and toured the island by ourselves. Then we went to Governor's Beach. It sounds like there have been some changes...I want to hear about it too.

If you were not dealing with a bunch of kids, I would strongly suggest taking the "train" into town and seeing how the Caribbean was before tourism became the major industry.

Doc

What "train"??? I never saw a train or a train track and we drove a golf cart all over the island.:confused:

We rented golf carts & toured the island and had a blast. Then we spent the rest of day at Governor's Beach. There is some good snorkeling right off the beach. The water is crystal clear. See my pic below...that is our 11 yr old son snorkeling right off of Governor's Beach. We had a blast! :D

Just returned and had a blast riding golf carts around the island then spending the afternoon at Jack's Shack.

Just returned and had a blast riding golf carts around the island then spending the afternoon at Jack's Shack.

Jack's is where it's at!! LOL

The beach and water is not rocky like down by the pier.

We did the dune buggy safari like Bruce had mentioned. Had a blast! Mud, water, dust and lots of poop.. watch out for the poop! LOL

Jack's Shack

ry%3D400

Dune Buggy

ry%3D400

A short cab ride away..Bohio Dive Resort.

We took an excursion from there but while we were waiting I would have been perfectly fine with staying there....beach bar, good conch fritters, shady areas. Lots of ships crew there.

http://www.bohioresort.com/index.html

Did you do a dive or snorkel trip with Bohio? I'm looking to go snorkeling with them in a few weeks and can't wait!!

Sounds like something I would like to do in June, did you pass Jacks Shack?

Looking from the ship or pier to the left of cruise port.

Jack's shack is near the small pier about a 10 minute walk down the beach.

The drink price's at Jack's are a heck of a lot less than Margaritaville ... and oh so good! My dh really enjoyed the Turk's Head beer.

PRIDE218-vi.jpg

Did you do a dive or snorkel trip with Bohio? I'm looking to go snorkeling with them in a few weeks and can't wait!!

Hi Sam..Yep, had them take us snorkeling and to Gibbs Cay. Also stopped to free dive for some conch. It was a great time!!

I'd recommend them.

I have to also put my vote in for Jack's Shack. It was quiet. The beach was great. The food (jerk chicken) was amazing as well. Our kids loved it there, and we spent the afternoon with a carnival employee getting some great "insider tips." I would also suggest the beach right by the pier. The kids had tons of other Camp Carnival kids to play with and loved the calm waters. Really not worth shopping there. Just enjoy the beach.

Picking up conch shells, is right up my alley.:) In fact, I'm a collector of shells, and have several on my living room floor.

About the golf carts, if you have rented one recently, do they charge by the day or hour? I know we won't be on Grand Turk all day, but was wondering what the charge was for an hour or two? Also, where would we find the golf carts to rent?

About the golf carts, if you have rented one recently, do they charge by the day or hour? I know we won't be on Grand Turk all day, but was wondering what the charge was for an hour or two? Also, where would we find the golf carts to rent?

The man that rent the carts is Nathan Smith. You can do a search or on CC go to Excursions, Caribbean, Grand Turk and there are threads that will tell you all about it with pics.

We had a blast!!!

Archived