Rome: What to See Beyond the Basics

cruisemom42

Domus Romane at Palazzo Valentini -- Very new site. Recent excavations under the Palazzo Valentini uncovered the remains of two large ancient houses. This is the type of house (called a "domus") where the rich lived in the city. From the descriptions, the site is laid out a bit like the Terrace Houses at Ephesus with viewing platforms and clear floors to allow you to see below. There are mosaics, frescoes, sculpted decorations, etc. Several tours are given daily but only one is in English (at 1:15 pm). http://www.palazzovalentini.it/scavi.php?lang=eng

I was working on my notes for our upcoming trip and I came across a Chowhound recommendation for a good place for a light lunch: Enoteca Provincia Romagna. This wine bar is located in the rear of the Palazzo Valentini which means it is esentially on top of the newly excavated homes cruisemom shared in her post.

The street address is Largo del Foro Triano, 28/84.

A stones throw from the Trevi fountain is Città dell'acqua (City of Water). The excavations came to light during the remodeling of the ex-Cinema Trevi (now a Mondadori bookstore, retail outlet of a publishing house owned by one S Berlusconi). Called the Città dell'acqua, it incorporates the remains of an Imperial-age apartment building, part of a Roman street and a holding tank for the waters of the acqua vergine, which can be heard rushing by underneath.

I was working on my notes for our upcoming trip and I came across a Chowhound recommendation for a good place for a light lunch: Enoteca Provincia Romagna. This wine bar is located in the rear of the Palazzo Valentini which means it is esentially on top of the newly excavated homes cruisemom shared in her post.

The street address is Largo del Foro Triano, 28/84.

Thanks for posting this. Wonder if I'll have time for a lunch there before my 1:15 tour? I hope so....!

A stones throw from the Trevi fountain is Città dell'acqua (City of Water). The excavations came to light during the remodeling of the ex-Cinema Trevi (now a Mondadori bookstore, retail outlet of a publishing house owned by one S Berlusconi). Called the Città dell'acqua, it incorporates the remains of an Imperial-age apartment building, part of a Roman street and a holding tank for the waters of the acqua vergine, which can be heard rushing by underneath.

For clarity, this is the same as the Vicus Caprarius, mentioned in my earlier post (#20).

Thanks for posting this. Wonder if I'll have time for a lunch there before my 1:15 tour? I hope so....!

Based on my rudimentary Italian, the enoteca is open from 10:00 until 11:00 p.m. with non-stop hours Monday through Saturday. Corrections to my translation enthusiastically welcome!

"Gli orari di apertura sono: da lunedì a sabato, dalle 10 alle 23. Chiuso la domenica."

Here's the web site: http://www.provincia.roma.it/iniziative/enoteca-provincia-romana-di-palazzo-valentini

For clarity, this is the same as the Vicus Caprarius, mentioned in my earlier post (#20).

But you won't find any signs pointing to Vicus Caprarius, they all say Città dell'acqua.

Now that place REALLY looks interesting. Especially since my DH wants to see the aquaducts out at Appian Way. Nice to be able to see where they come into the city too.

Are those limited hours for the summer too? I'm trying to plan which days where and need to go ahead and request the Scavi tour at the Vatican. I want to try to give them at least a couple of days options to increase our chances for the Scavi tour.

From the Trevi fountain, with the fountain behind yougo down the road to the left, then take a first left, at the end of the lane, take a right and the little bookshop is on your right, only a couple of euros and its great. (and no one hardly knows about it !!!)

Are those limited hours for the summer too? I'm trying to plan which days where and need to go ahead and request the Scavi tour at the Vatican. I want to try to give them at least a couple of days options to increase our chances for the Scavi tour.

Those are the only hours I've found listed. Not to say that they couldn't change -- after all, we are talking about Italy!

• 5 months later...

This has been hugely helpful for our one day in Rome this September on a Med. Cruise. My husband has been a few times before but this is my first time so we wanted to do a mix of common and uncommon sites. This thread has only solidified that we are coming back and soon :)

I'm so glad I saw this thread. I have 2 days in Venice and 4 days in Rome pre cruise in October and am working on what I want to see. I am trying to pick a limited number of places so I can thouroughly enjoy them and spend some time just wandering. ahhh, I can't wait!!!

Those who've enjoyed this thread might also like to see my review (with photos) posted after my October trip to Rome. There are photos and info on quite a few of the places mentioned in this thread, as well as detailed information on seeing Hadrian's villa outside Rome.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1524426&highlight=villa+adriana

Those who've enjoyed this thread might also like to see my review (with photos) posted after my October trip to Rome. There are photos and info on quite a few of the places mentioned in this thread, as well as detailed information on seeing Hadrian's villa outside Rome.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1524426&highlight=villa+adriana

Cynthia:

I really appreciate all of your suggestions as it has made it so much easier for me to plan. Having been 2 Rome 3 times before, I have been trying to discover other places past the basics. Thanks for simplifying it and providing your comments and opinions.:D

Two very special churches:

Santa Maria della Vittoria- To admire the famous Bernini's statue of Ecstasy of Santa Teresa

San Pietro in Vincoli- To admire the magnificent Moses by Michelangelo.

Yes! Absolutely second those two. Santa Maria--check for the times when it is open--took us 3 tries until we got it. You won't be sorry. High Baroque church with an absolutely unbelievably amazing sculpture (Bernini) of St. Theresa in Extasy. S. Pietro en Vincoli is St. Peter in Chains---you can see the remains of a finger of St. Peter, and also the fantastic sculpture (Michelangelo) of Moses..... Highly recommend these two lesser visited churches.

Edited by 24butterfly

After reading some recent threads, I thought it might be useful to start a discussion of what to see in and around Rome beyond the basics (Colosseum, Forum, Vatican, etc).

Here are some of my favorite places after quite a few trips to Rome. (Note most museums are closed on Mondays.) Maybe others can add their favorites….

Capitoline Museum (Musei Capitolini) -- Tues-Sun 9am to 8pm. Rick Steves' Rome guide has a great self-guided tour. Two of my favorite gems inside: 1) the original bronze equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius (the outside copy isn't nearly as powerful), and 2) the statue known as "The Dying Gaul." Don't miss the view of the Forum from the Tabularium (where ancient Rome kept their laws filed); also the cafe is a great place for coffee and a view of Rome in the other direction. http://en.museicapitolini.org/

Ara Pacis – The Ara Pacis (“Altar of Peace”) was an altar built in 9 BC to celebrate the new era of Augustan peace. Spectacular carvings cover the white marble, including images of the Imperial family. The new modern museum that houses it caused a stir in Rome (like the pyramid entrance of the Louvre). This is a real “wow” and I encourage anyone in the vicinity to see it. While in the museum building you can look out the windows and see the sad state of Augustus’ mausoleum, currently undergoing some much-needed caretaking. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/25/arts/design/25paci.html

Museum of the Imperial Fori – This relatively new museum provides some background and history on Roman’s many forums. The one most people think of and visit was the first and oldest, but many of the succeeding emperors built their own public spaces (forums) as Rome’s population expanded. Thus, you have the forums of Augustus, Nerva, Trajan, etc. Multimedia presentations show how they would’ve looked, then you can go and actually walk in the Forum of Trajan and Trajan’s market, one of the crowning architectural achievements of the period. http://www.aviewoncities.com/rome/forumoftrajan.htm

San Clemente -- The uppermost level is a 12th-century church with beautiful mosaics, built on top of a 4th-century church, which in turn was built over a 2nd-century pagan temple to the god Mithras. There is a 5 euro fee to visit the lower church and ruins but well worth it. Near the Colosseum. www.basilicasanclemente.com/

Ostia Antica – An easy day trip outside of Rome, about 30 minutes by train from Ostia station. Ostia Antica, the ancient port that served Rome, rivals Pompeii in its extent and its preservation (plus it’s a lot less crowded). Rick Steves’ Rome guide provides details on how to get there and a self-guided tour. Or you can download this guide provided by the site: http://www.ostia-antica.org/visiting.htm (Click on the hyperlink that says “Tourist Guide”).

Appian Way – Rome’s “Queen of Roads”, this is where several major catacombs are located, as well as an Imperial villa (and well preserved Circus), the Domine Quo Vadis church, and farther out, some of the old road that you can walk on while looking at ancient Roman tombs. Wealthy pagan Romans were often buried in fancy above-ground tombs just outside the city. Farther along still is “Aqueduct Park” where remains of an above-ground stretch of one of Roman’s famous aqueducts makes for great photos. I would only recommend walking this on a Sunday when it’s closed to most traffic. Rick Steves’ guide has directions on how to get there and a self-guided tour. You can also take the HOHO “Archeobus” (but I’ve done and wouldn’t recommend it.) http://www.parcoappiaantica.it/en/default.asp

great thread!! Thanks so much

• 3 weeks later...
Some lesser known ancient Rome sites -- also very interesting for those who like "underground" tours:

Vicus Caprarius -- Just steps from Trevi fountain are these recent underground excavations that include part of a Roman insula (apartment building) from the time of Nero. You can also see spaces for shops and possibly a warehouse or storage unit and a cistern for water storage. One of the famed Roman aqueducts ran through this area (called the Aqua Virgo) discharging 100,000 cubic meters of water every day. By the way, Trevi fountain still uses water from the Aqua Virgo today! Look for entrance at Cinema Trevi; only open on Monday late afternoons (4:30 to 7:00 pm), and Thursday and Sunday from 11:00 to 3:00 pm. http://www.imagoromae.com/trevi_EN.ashx

Just wanted to post an update on the Vicus Caprarius (otherwise known as the Citta dell'Acqua) opening hours. I went there recently on a Monday afternoon, thinking it would be open -- as their posted information indicates -- but alas, they are closed on Monday afternoons. So scratch it off the list of things you can do on a Monday when many museums are closed. *sigh* Below I've posted pics of a sign with the real hours listed and also the signs (I think there are two) that help you find the out-of-the-way location near Trevi.

P1060702.JPG

P1060701.JPG

A lot of underground sites have been listed but for good views of Rome these are a few of my favorite spots.

The top deck of the Vittoriano. Not everybody knows you can take a glass elevator to the top of the monument for a great view of the centre of the city.

The dome of St Peters. Walking on the roof of the cathedral behind the statues of the apostles was the best,maybe even better than the cupola.

The terraces on Giancolo, the monument to Garibaldi and the one for his wife are beautiful and touching,the views of the city spectacular and the park is peaceful with good sandwich trucks for an al fresco snack and drink.

The Pincio terrace for a gret view of the domes of Rome and the obelisk in piazza del popolo,especially beautiful at night.

I am interested in the San Pietro in Vincoli as well as Trajan's Markets.

Anyone have hours and costs??

This list is great!

Trajan's Market and Forum is accessed through the Museo dei Fori Imperiali (Museum of the Imperial Forums). The hours are 9am to 7pm (last entry one hour before closing); closed on Mondays. The entrance to the museum is uphill from Trajan's Column. Tickets are 11 euro; they participate in Roma Pass, so you can get a free entry (if one of your first two stops) or a reduction with your pass after the 2 free.

http://en.mercatiditraiano.it/

Can't help much with the other one.

Edited by cruisemom42

• 1 year later...

Baths of Caracalla: (Celian Hill near the Colosseum) Definitely out of the way but worth a visit. This bath structure is the most intact of the great baths built by emperors. If you visit in the summer, consider attending a ballet or an opera staged within the ruins. Rock concerts used to take place there, but the vibrations from the performances were degrading the structures. Performances are now restricted to more sedate types.

I just visited the Baths of Caracalla on my recent visit. Wow! Definitely should be on any ancient Rome-lover's list to see when in Rome.

I wrote a more in-depth review with some photos about it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1846586