Traveling with a weapon where to leave it?

calex1976

Well this has been an interesting thread. I guess I am blessed to be 52 years old, lived and travelled from coast to coast in the US as well as two years in Italy, and never, ever felt the need to travel with a hand gun. I don't even own one in my own home. I'm glad I don't have to worry about issues like this. Never been a victim either.

Well this has been an interesting thread. I guess I am blessed to be 52 years old, lived and travelled from coast to coast in the US as well as two years in Italy, and never, ever felt the need to travel with a hand gun. I don't even own one in my own home. I'm glad I don't have to worry about issues like this. Never been a victim either.

I'm glad you have never been a victim. I have not, either, but a relative was. If she had been armed, it might have turned out differently.

I used to feel that way (don't need protection) until the Tisons and Randy Greenawalt escaped from an Arizona prison.

No matter how people get to their cruise, they should feel safe. You feel safe without, some feel safe with.

But there are no "do-overs".

BUT, the topic was "where do I store my gun", not "Should I have a gun". Just sayin.

For the OP, i liked the 2 options that were presented here:

1. Either leave it with the local police b4 you head to port. May call them ahead of time to see how that would work.

2. Call the hotel to see if you can store it in the safe at the hotel. I do agree leaving it in your car may not be too safe. Just in case something happens to your car.

Although, i don't personally don't carry. We are in the US if you want to carry...darn it you should be able to carry. :DIt's just not for everyone.

I don't have my list of states that honor my Florida permit in front of me. Just wanted to remind you to check and make sure all the states you plan to drive through are covered! Assuming of course that it will be concealed.

Already checked, will only be going from Alabama to Florida. Thanks for the reminder though.

I drive a Toyota Yaris and my car has a hidden compartment where the spare tired usually goes. Inside that I've installed a safe. It's where I store valuables (I'm a photographer so I often have camera gear with me) as well as my mace nad knife when I have to leave them in the car. The compartment is easy enough to find, but the safe itself is bolted into it. It would take some time and a lot of energy to get into it once found!

My car is very similar to a Yaris and has the same compartment. Was thinking that would make a great hiding spot.

I'm glad you have never been a victim. I have not, either, but a relative was. If she had been armed, it might have turned out differently.

I used to feel that way (don't need protection) until the Tisons and Randy Greenawalt escaped from an Arizona prison.

No matter how people get to their cruise, they should feel safe. You feel safe without, some feel safe with.

But there are no "do-overs".

BUT, the topic was "where do I store my gun", not "Should I have a gun". Just sayin.

Thank you for saying exactly what was on my mind. Thanks every one for the great ideas.

Looks like I will not be bringing the 1911 would hate to loose any gun, but would rather loose a $200 CZ 82 than a $500 .45. I think I will be going with the trunk safe with cable lock. If not, I will check around the pawn shops, did not even think of that idea. I'm glad I asked this question, I knew there would be a few travelers who carried while on vacation.

Every time I here some one say why bring a gun, I think about rental car license plates. All rental cars in Florida used to have rental plates instead of regular license plates. I was working in Cape Canaveral when a rash of hotel robberies took place in Orlando, a few ended up in fatalities. All victims were on vacation driving rental cars. The rental car companies had made the vacationers targets by accident. The rental plates are gone now, but think about this every time you drag countless bags through a motel parking lot, who is watching you and are you protected when they decide they might kick in your door. Thanks again for all the helpful replies.

Wow! it it that unsafe in the South that you need to have a gun on you for an 11 hour trip? What about staying away from rough areas and carring a cell phone and GPS? And, if you get hijacked or assaulted and you have your gun locked in a safe locked in your trunk, what do you say to your attacker? "Wait a sec while I unlock my gun locked in a safe locked in my trunk"? This is crazy.

Wow! it it that unsafe in the South that you need to have a gun on you for an 11 hour trip? What about staying away from rough areas and carring a cell phone and GPS? And, if you get hijacked or assaulted and you have your gun locked in a safe locked in your trunk, what do you say to your attacker? "Wait a sec while I unlock my gun locked in a safe locked in my trunk"? This is crazy.

He won't travel with it locked in a safe in the trunk. He is going to store it that way after he arrives at the port. Maybe you should have read his post.

And it's not just "the South". Your post is insulting

Being from the UK, this entire thread is completely bizarre. Probably due to the UK's very strict guns laws, where it's a crime to own a handgun, nevermind carry it around with you..........

Not only bizarre but scary as well.

Our local paper usually has a report on a regular basis of an American picked up at the border facing criminal charges because they lied about their handgun. Nine times out of ten they are from Texas and they have to pay huge fines, car impound fees and get a criminal record to boot.

We never have to worry about fellow shoppers with guns in their purses at home, but when we travel to the states we are more nervous about angry motorists than we are about criminals. I don't even know anyone who owns a handgun. They are illegal in Canada.

I have the answer to the question I asked. Thank you all who actually read my question and kept away from the useless anti-gun crap.

Face the fact there are plenty of us that are armed law abiding citizens in the North and South. We are not red necks, in fact you should go to your local permit office and watch who all applies for permits. Actually, I see more white collars than blue ones.

Please feel free to use your cell phone if you are attacked. I will obey your anti-gun wishes and not use a weapon in your defense. Besides we all know a cell phone is better at defense than a actual hand gun. Armed robbers run in fear from phones all the time and if they do not run I'm sure they will be glad to wait until the police arrive before they rob or rape you.

Getting off my soap box now. I tried to keep from doing this, but obviously some people can not read to well. Funny, that all the gun owners actually stayed on topic and answered the questions, the anti-gunners provided nothing useful, but we are the red necks .Thank you all that helped with good ideas.

what about a simple 11hr car trip makes you feel the need to carry then leave it unattended for days? I'm not saying you shouldn't carry a gun for it but are you planning on making alot of stops or something?

Going 60+mph really what can happen

IF I had a gun I'd ask the ports local PD how to handle the issue

what about a simple 11hr car trip makes you feel the need to carry then leave it unattended for days? I'm not saying you shouldn't carry a gun for it but are you planning on making alot of stops or something?

Going 60+mph really what can happen

IF I had a gun I'd ask the ports local PD how to handle the issue

I'm sure we be making a few stops(she has a small bladder). These stop will be in the late night and early mornings. After almost 20 years of late night driving I feel much safer with a gun, just a personnel preference. All it takes is one stop in the wrong place for things to go very bad. I was almost mugged at the local grocery store a few years ago, and this was just after dark. The two guys brought knives to a gun fight, so I won. Thankfully, I never had to fire a shot, but with out a gun I would have been seriously injured or at least robbed.

All of the police officers I work with have a gun safe in the trunk and if they have to park in less then secure areas, they pull the battery cable so the car can't go anywhere either unless towed. Some just use a club on the steering wheel.

Good luck on your decision, I don't carry but work with officers who are NEVER not armed! People have no clue how many responsible citizens are utilizing their right to bear arms and protect their families while out in public.

I'm sure we be making a few stops(she has a small bladder). These stop will be in the late night and early mornings. After almost 20 years of late night driving I feel much safer with a gun, just a personnel preference. All it takes is one stop in the wrong place for things to go very bad. I was almost mugged at the local grocery store a few years ago, and this was just after dark. The two guys brought knives to a gun fight, so I won. Thankfully, I never had to fire a shot, but with out a gun I would have been seriously injured or at least robbed.

Sadly there are no longer right or wrong places. Crime can and does occur anywhere at any time of day or night. Exercising ones right to carry a firearm does not label anyone or make them a deviate. This thread is a perfect example of how people who think they know more than they really do state opinions rather than fact. Is it Ron White who says "you can't fix stupid"? Have a great trip.

Sadly there are no longer right or wrong places. Crime can and does occur anywhere at any time of day or night. Exercising ones right to carry a firearm does not label anyone or make them a deviate. This thread is a perfect example of how people who think they know more than they really do state opinions rather than fact. Is it Ron White who says "you can't fix stupid"? Have a great trip.

I agree. Surprising things are happening with the current economy. In a town near us, people entered the house of a senior citizen, knocked him unconscious and stole his copper piping out of the basement and ripped it through the walls. I thought how odd it was to do that and not go after valuables, but apparently it's easier to pawn.

There are even rumors(rumours) that there is crime in Canada and the UK.

Of course there is crime in Canada and the UK. Nobody said otherwise. However, my chances of being confronted with somebody with a gun are very slim where I live. I would sooner take my chances with a robber than with some wanabee hero with quick trigger finger.

To Calex1976---It pleases me no end that you would not come to my defense with a gun. I would probably have a better chance of surviving by just handing over my purse without an arguement. You would also escape being arrested and charged with pointing a gun, possessing a gun or worse.

I will not insult you by calling your opinion crap. I accept that guns are part of your culture and that is the environment in which you were raised and now live. I was born to a different culture and environment. Everyone is most comfortable with what they are used to. It does not mean that they should not be allowed to voice an opinion without inciting anger. If I feel uncomfortable around someone carrying a gun, that is something I cannot control anymore than you can control your need for a gun as a security blanket.

Of course there is crime in Canada and the UK. Nobody said otherwise. However, my chances of being confronted with somebody with a gun are very slim where I live. I would sooner take my chances with a robber than with some wanabee hero with quick trigger finger.

To Calex1976---It pleases me no end that you would not come to my defense with a gun. I would probably have a better chance of surviving by just handing over my purse without an arguement. You would also escape being arrested and charged with pointing a gun, possessing a gun or worse.

I will not insult you by calling your opinion crap. I accept that guns are part of your culture and that is the environment in which you were raised and now live. I was born to a different culture and environment. Everyone is most comfortable with what they are used to. It does not mean that they should not be allowed to voice an opinion without inciting anger. If I feel uncomfortable around someone carrying a gun, that is something I cannot control anymore than you can control your need for a gun as a security blanket.

Well said Sapper1, to the OP, I wasn't criticizing yourself, just pointing out due to the gun laws in the UK how bizarre this thread is to us in the UK. Also due to being in the British Armed Forces for numerous years, I'm also quite proficient in the use of firearms especially automatic rifles. So I'm not against guns for use to protect your 'home', just a bit wary of the general public carrying them around in public.

Wow, I didn't realize that travel in the US was so dangerous that one needed to be packing to feel secure. Maybe we should pick up a piece in Detroit for our journey (which is twice as long as the OP's, so therefore twice as dangerous)

Here's another vote for a trunk safe. I have one on my work car and it works great. It's not Fort Knox, but it takes a lot of effort to take it, or break in to it. There are some great safes on the market. Unless your whole car is stolen, your firearm will be safe. Car burglaries that occur at hotels are most often smash-and-grabs or due to unlocked doors. If you are leaving your car at a hotel, just park it in a highly visible, well lit space.

Oh, and never let anyone tell you not to exercise your constitutional right, especially folks who don't live by this constitution. You're a grown adult and you know what's best for you and your family, not a bunch of anonymous CC posters. Of course, I know I didn't have to tell you that. ;)

Hello,

You can't compare Canada or the UK with the USA, and especially the South. Our friends in Canada and the UK must understand that not so long ago the South lost everything. They experienced a loss of their land, money, hundreds of thousands of lives lost, and millions of lives were destroyed due to injuries suffered in war. And it took the Confederacty a long long time to recover from the dreadful poverty that the Civil War caused.

People in the South need their guns to protect against latter day Grant, Sherman, Sheridan, Butler, and Custer.

I vote for the trunk safe. The moron dumb enough to try to steal your car is probably not smart enough to open a trunk safe.

Archived