Crusinmama Family Review of Gem to Bermuda 10/2-10/9 -The Suite Life with Dailies

crusinmama06

Thanks so much for posting this! You are such an asset on this board for all of us that have families. We are leaving on our first NCL cruise in a month. I saw juice listed on the kid's Dora menu, does that mean that juice is included for the kids in the MDR at all meals or is it extra? I saw that on the kids dailies it says that during free time the siblings are all together, was that not the case for the younger group? Also my daughter just turned 2 last month and I have no idea if she will go to the kids' club alone. If we can't get her to go, do you know if she will be allowed to go to the Under 2 Zoo? I know we have to stay with the kids there, but at least she will have somewhere to play for the cruise if not in the kids' club. Thanks for your input!

Beautiful pictures, Michele, and what a lovely family you have! Thanks for the great review! :)

Thanks Carol! :D I missed you all while I was gone. ;)

Thanks for taking time to write a great review and sharing the wonderful photos of your family's vacation. Your Christmas photos will be awesome, what a great idea!

Thanks! I hope everyone here thinks so!

Hey girl - LOVING your review! We were in both of those coves on Horseshoe Bay on Thursday. Not a soul on one of them for over an hour. Love it!

I loved Cagney's breakfast - peaceful! It's the only place you can get the fruits de mer on brioche - Al's favorite!!

Loved meeting you guys - so glad you enjoyed the ship. we loved loved it!!!

Fruits de mer - yep, didn't try that one. It was so great meeting you two as well. I saw the camera flashes firing off from your balcony when we were pulling into NYC so I am waiting for YOUR pics. :D

Thanks so much for posting this! You are such an asset on this board for all of us that have families. We are leaving on our first NCL cruise in a month. I saw juice listed on the kid's Dora menu, does that mean that juice is included for the kids in the MDR at all meals or is it extra? I saw that on the kids dailies it says that during free time the siblings are all together, was that not the case for the younger group? Also my daughter just turned 2 last month and I have no idea if she will go to the kids' club alone. If we can't get her to go, do you know if she will be allowed to go to the Under 2 Zoo? I know we have to stay with the kids there, but at least she will have somewhere to play for the cruise if not in the kids' club. Thanks for your input!

Awww thanks! :) Yes, we could order juice for the kids in the MDRs - no extra charge. And during the kids free time, the siblings are together. I think that's the answer that NCL has been giving. When the times are REALLY busy, they will separate out the little ones (2-5s). But in our case, during the free time period, everyone was together - the entire 2 - 12s. And as far as her going to the Under 2 Zoo with YOU for some play time - I kept seeing everything that said that their "ages are strict with no exceptions" - but I didn't ask about that specific one. Sorry. I would be interested to hear how everything went when you get back.

So we started to get hungry (the Blue Lagoon was calling our name) so we headed back to the bus stop - walk up the hill - the bus took about 10 minutes to come and once again, standing room only - one child on my lap. Remember "In Bermuda, a Gentleman Always Gives Up His Seat"

Which again, my husband did. But the man in front of us didn't. So it was cute because the woman next to me (from the Carnival Pride) said to me loud enough for that man to hear "You have a good daddy. He is teaching his children manners" : - )

Suite Snack for the Day

262.jpg

And a BREATHTAKING sunset over Bermuda

273.jpg

After dinner, it was time to head to the FAMILY DECK PARTY - do not miss this! For kids, it is a MUST DO EVENT! The kids club pretty much becomes a ghost town because everyone is outside at the deck party. They had a Family Scavenger Hunt, (we won a prize - WOOHOOO), balloon animals, Hula Hoop Contest, Face Painting and of course a Dance Party. Johnny Cash Sanchez (Cruise Director) was there with Cupid from the Kids Crew leading the whole party. It was from 8 pm till 10pm and the kids could have gone all night long.

Think of this as the White Hot Party for Kids. Its one party that they will not want to miss.

280.jpg

My little one was wicked with that Hula Hoop - VIDEO HERE - just click on the picture to see

th_276.jpg

And the Cruise Director jumped right on in with the kids. I loved how he kept them moving the entire time then went running to an Adult event at 10:30. That guy has some ENERGY. Video HERE - again, just click and it will play...

th_287.jpg

Crusinmama06,

Thank you for sharing your very detailed review of this cruise. It makes me want to perhaps book the new ship Breakaway for the Bermuda cruise!

Did you happen to find out anything about the freestyle kids playtime? If I missed it in the thread my apologies:)

Thanks

Heather

you thought to bring santa hats to the beach for holiday card photos? you're one seriously prepared, organized lady! that's awesome!

i'm loving the bermuda photos--keep 'em coming!

It's scary, huh? I owe that to the Family Board. Years ago we all started posting our Christmas card idea pics and now, every year around this time I remember to pack Santa hats. They keep me organized. :)

Crusinmama06,

Thank you for sharing your very detailed review of this cruise. It makes me want to perhaps book the new ship Breakaway for the Bermuda cruise!

Did you happen to find out anything about the freestyle kids playtime? If I missed it in the thread my apologies:)

Thanks

Heather

That's ok, yes, for the Freestyle Free Play, on OUR sailing, the 2 - 12s were all combined. Word from NCL is if it is REALLY a kid packed sailing, they will divide out the pee wees, the 2-5s for the Free Play. But for this sailing, they all played together during that time.

DAY 5 - 2nd Day in Bermuda - BAMZ Day

It's a little windy today. Talk around the ship is that we are experiencing some effect of a tropical storm, but we have NO IDEA since we have NO WEATHER CHANNEL - tee hee - I can tell you that I watched a special on the Pearl on CNBC called "Big Money" about 3 times since I woke up at 4am -- I think they are just feeding us more marketing, what do you think :P

Since the Great Outdoors is a little windy (don't want a kid to blow off the edge, would be too hard to explain to customs when we get back). We decide to grab our food at the Buffet and Eat at the KIDS CAFE...

One caution, don't allow the little ones to dish out their own food (which I wouldn't anyway, could lead to a big mess) - the tongs are HOT

297.jpg

After breakfast we head out to go to the Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo and this is where I make a HUGE mistake. I TOOK THE BUS. DON'T TAKE THE BUS. I don't know what I was thinking. Well, I know what I was thinking. I was thinking that we could take a nice leisurely 45 minute bus ride to the Hamilton Bus Terminal then take the #10 or #11 bus to BAMZ. GREAT THEORY. The problem with that theory is the word LEISURELY. Remember, gentlemen don't sit on buses. They stuffed us in like canned sardines again (what is with the buses on this trip, they didn't do this to us in June)

So for 45 minutes my husband stood, clinging to that overhead bar. I had a 7 year old on my lap. It was hot. We SHOULD have caught the ferry to Hamilton, WALKED to the Central Bus terminal a few blocks away and then caught the #10 or #11 bus. We did this on the way back (in reverse, of course, MUCH nicer. Hindsight always 20/20)

But we made it there. And it's a nice little zoo. We live a couple of hours from Pittsburgh so we have a LARGE zoo and aquarium here, of course. But it was a fun way to spend the day with the kids.

http://www.bamz.org/

303.jpg

304.jpg

315.jpg

316.jpg

...more to come from the zoo

I am so enjoying your posts and your beautiful pictures. I really enjoy reading how families fare on these cruises. You give wonderful advice and ideas to other parents. I remember a thread a few weeks ago that was very discouraging regarding children on cruise ships, and you were a voice of reason in that often very negative discussion. Of course there are ill behaved children--much like ill behaved adults. At any rate, I havevery happy memories of being with my children on cruises when they were young, and I am actually glad I didn't know howmany people apparently resent these little people. LOL :D Anyway, last year we took our four-- now college age-- kids on the Jewel and we had the same type of suite that you had--yes, we were crowded--but it was a marvelous experience and we all enjoyed being together so much and all getting the "suite perks". (I think that you indeed may have under-utilized your butler because our butler literally went overboard for our kids--bringing them extra snacks, huge plates of cookies, pitchers of lemonade, hot chocolate, movies, popcorn--ridiculous. So you learn something on every cruise. In general we are pretty low maintenance so I had to step it up a bit to get use to asking for things. . .LOL. Maybe that will be your take away from this cruise--in case you get a suite again!!:))

Thank you for the review, and although I no longer have young children, it is wonderful to read about and see happy families cruising. Your children will ALWAYS remember this beautiful time on family vacation.

Michele,

Love reading your review, seeing the photos (beautiful family!) and the videos!

All the time I'm reading, I'm thinking your photos look a bit familiar....

I think it finally came to me.. are you a former freek? I'm whispering.. lol

Must be the answer, as you're not a regular NCL'er... and I don't frequent the other boards..

Anyway...you make me want to steal a few of my grandkids and bring them along on a cruise...just not the next one! LOL

I am really enjoying reading your review while it's a little slow at work. :D

Thanks for posting!

Michele,

So glad I popped over to the NCL board to read your review of the trip. Sounds like you had a wonderful experience.

But seriously, I can't believe how big the girls have gotten but more importantly, how beautiful. I'm so glad you posted the formal shots and the really fun ones. I forget sometimes how big kids get from one trip to the next until you see pictures side by side.

Looking forward to the rest of your review.

Awesome review. We have not taken our kids with us cruising yet. Were hoping to do so this year but then we had a surprise little one come along and would need to wait until he is 2 before we try it.

We have six total kids so I'm not sure how much of a vacation it would be. I do know a cruise would be less expensive overall than a traditional land vacation with that many people.

It sure looked like everyone had fun!

I think that you indeed may have under-utilized your butler because our butler literally went overboard for our kids--bringing them extra snacks, huge plates of cookies, pitchers of lemonade, hot chocolate, movies, popcorn--ridiculous. So you learn something on every cruise. Maybe that will be your take away from this cruise--in case you get a suite again!!)

Yes, I totally agree! The NEXT NCL suite...I WILL have my request list ready. :D

And you were mentioning people saying about kids on a cruise - you just reminded me - the first day on the Gem, we were headed to the pool - a woman was getting into the elevator and she took one look at my little one and said "Kids on a cruise, I thought this was suppose to be a vacation!" :eek: Whoooaaa, the door closed too fast for me to reply. :mad:

Michele,

Love reading your review, seeing the photos (beautiful family!) and the videos!

All the time I'm reading, I'm thinking your photos look a bit familiar....

I think it finally came to me.. are you a former freek? I'm whispering.. lol

Must be the answer, as you're not a regular NCL'er... and I don't frequent the other boards..

Anyway...you make me want to steal a few of my grandkids and bring them along on a cruise...just not the next one! LOL

I am really enjoying reading your review while it's a little slow at work. :D

Thanks for posting!

YES! Heyyy Pamela!!! How are you? I've been hanging around the NCL board for a while now, just must not have noticed me until now. ;) Yes, about the freek. Pat is around here somewhere too.

Michele,

So glad I popped over to the NCL board to read your review of the trip. Sounds like you had a wonderful experience.

But seriously, I can't believe how big the girls have gotten but more importantly, how beautiful. I'm so glad you posted the formal shots and the really fun ones. I forget sometimes how big kids get from one trip to the next until you see pictures side by side.

Looking forward to the rest of your review.

Awww thanks! I know I can't believe it! My "baby" was wearing MY shoes. When did that happen? :eek: I have to update my signature because they look sooo much younger and it was just the LAST cruise before this one, only a year ago for them. It looks like it was years ago. {sigh, time is flying}

Awesome review. We have not taken our kids with us cruising yet. Were hoping to do so this year but then we had a surprise little one come along and would need to wait until he is 2 before we try it. We have six total kids so I'm not sure how much of a vacation it would be. I do know a cruise would be less expensive overall than a traditional land vacation with that many people. It sure looked like everyone had fun!

Six kids? WOW! You'll have to tell me how YOU keep sane from day to day. Yes, cruising is a much better value than any other vacation. Keep an eye out for that KIDS SAIL FREE promotion. If I am remembering it, you could pay for 2, then get 2 free. So in your case, you could pay for 4, get 4 free.

Wow.....your review and your photos are totally awesome......your children are beautiful .... especially love the Christmas card idea and the sunset photo ! You've convinced me I need to book my next cruise to Bermuda ! Lynn

I am loving reading your review and following along! Its fun to see other perspectives of the same trip ;)

We agree, love love loved the kids crew this year!!

As I am reading my little guy sees pics of your daughters and says..."thats XXX and xxx (I wont insert their names on a public forum)

He enjoyed playing with them!!

Wait, did you say they have a kids breakfast area? :eek: Seriously considering this ship now.

Ohhh hold onto your hat my friend, because its not just for breakfast! The Kids Cafe is open for LUNCH and DINNER too! :D

Wow.....your review and your photos are totally awesome......your children are beautiful .... especially love the Christmas card idea and the sunset photo ! You've convinced me I need to book my next cruise to Bermuda ! Lynn

LOVED those sunsets....you won't be sorry!

275.jpg

I am loving reading your review and following along! Its fun to see other perspectives of the same trip ;)

We agree, love love loved the kids crew this year!!

As I am reading my little guy sees pics of your daughters and says..."thats XXX and xxx (I wont insert their names on a public forum)

He enjoyed playing with them!!

Awww! I apologize for any injustices that my youngest may have committed against your little one. :o lol And yes, those counselors were just the best!

Ohhh hold onto your hat my friend, because its not just for breakfast! The Kids Cafe is open for LUNCH and DINNER too! :D

Ok, now you have to tell me more. What is it like? And parents can eat in there too? Small tables for children? What do they serve? Any pictures of the area? Do tell! :D :eek:

I am thoroughly enjoying this review. I never really gave any thought to a Bermuda cruise but I may have to consider the Breakaway now:D

I am also really hoping that the Epic has a kid's party - that looked like a blast and I know my kiddo would LOVE it.

Thanks for taking the time to do this review - your family is beautiful. Those girls are just too cute!

Ok, now you have to tell me more. What is it like? And parents can eat in there too? Small tables for children? What do they serve? Any pictures of the area? Do tell! :D :eek:

HAHAHA, here is the BEST part. It is located right between the Garden Cafe and the Outdoor Cafe so you can get food at ANY of the three buffets and then sit in the Kids Cafe and watch Nick Cartoons. :p lol

I posted these earlier, but for you, I will move them up again...

196.jpg

197.jpg

I am thoroughly enjoying this review. I never really gave any thought to a Bermuda cruise but I may have to consider the Breakaway now:D I am also really hoping that the Epic has a kid's party - that looked like a blast and I know my kiddo would LOVE it.

Thanks for taking the time to do this review - your family is beautiful. Those girls are just too cute!

I will happily go back to Bermuda on a Breakaway! I can't tell you how excited I am that NCL chose NYC for a brand new ship. THANK YOU NCL!!!!

Great review, awesome pictures - I really want to do Bermuda now! My kids will be split up in the kids' groups - 9 and 13, the oldest is "too cool" for kids stuff now anyway. We're booked in a 2br family penthouse for Spring Break, and I'm really looking forward to it!

Can't wait to read more!

btw - the girls' blue dresses are beautiful, and they were my wedding colour, too! I love that you dressed up, I wish my family would dress up, but they prefer casual (not messy casual, still smart looking), which is why I thought NCL would be a better fit for us (no mandatory formal day). Maybe I can convince DD to wear a dress one of the days :p

J

Day 5 Continued - BAMZ

Ever want to get up close and personal with a tamarin monkey? You can actually walk INTO their enclosure at this zoo. No fences to divide you.

326.jpg

327.jpg

There is a Discovery Playground with some slides

317.jpg

And Flamingos

332.jpg

An amazing "Ocean Walk" where you are suppose to look for Stingrays

321.jpg

We decided to call it a day and head back to Hamilton on the bus to catch the FERRY. Just get off at the Bus Center and ask the nearest worker "Which way to the Ferry?" - they couldn't have been more helpful. And it was something like 3-4 blocks.

HAL Veendam was docked in Hamilton...

339.jpg

wow--you went to BAMZ and back before lunch? that's amazing. i may need to revamp my plans for my own trip--i may be allowing WAY too much time for transportation. you know how hard it is to figure out how much you can do in a place you've never been? yeah--i'm having that problem. but your posts are really helping--so thanks!!!!!

Archived