Crusinmama Family Review of Gem to Bermuda 10/2-10/9 -The Suite Life with Dailies

crusinmama06

Hello- I love the review. I have ready many of your prior review as I have children and we cruise quit often. My question for you is I no you are a big RCCL cruiser. How does NCL rate to RCCL? Which do you prefer?

I am getting ready to take my first NCL cruise in less then 2 weeks on the Pearl. (however, I will be kidless for this cruise :D)

Can't wait for the rest of the review.

I love your posts! I'm sailing on the Gem this coming Sunday, and reading this will give me something to do to help pass the time until then (you know, aside from trying to get work done and attempting to pack in some sort of organized fashion!) Though your room is the opposite of what mine will be (I have an inside cabin...but oh well!)

You have a beautiful family--and you got some great photos with all of you together! That's my one complaint about all of the trips I've taken with my husband in the past five years--we don't have any photos of us together. Though we DO have a bunch from our honeymoon cruise. I'm thinking we'll have to do a cruise together this coming summer so I can get some good 'family vacation pics'. (He's not joining me for this next one :( )

Can't wait to read more. I'm thinking you'll likely have lots of Bermuda photos, too--I'm really looking forward to those!

great review...but we need more! we are heading to Bermuda on the Dawn next May, so seeing this review is making our mouth's water...one question are the kids activities the same on both ships?

Hello- I love the review. I have ready many of your prior review as I have children and we cruise quit often. My question for you is I no you are a big RCCL cruiser. How does NCL rate to RCCL? Which do you prefer?

I am getting ready to take my first NCL cruise in less then 2 weeks on the Pearl. (however, I will be kidless for this cruise :D)

Great review so far, can't wait for the rest of it.

How has NCL improved or declined over the years. We would also like to know how your family compares NCL to RCCL?

After our last experience I am afraid to risk a week on NCL with our girls.

I am enjoying your review and pictures very much! Most precious is the picture of older sister smiling down at her little sister looking up. I appreciated your video of the Gem slide...so that is what it looks like going down! All my experiences come to a dead stop at each turn. Many here who cruise with children will definitely appreciate the postings of kids crew activities. When I saw your suite pictures I could say, "Hey, I sat on that couch one time!" Some day I will get a Gem suite!

Looking forward to reading more...!

coka:D

Anyone that thinks that was a wave pool has never seen a wave pool!

I mean it looked fun, but pretty tame.

I actually shot the video at a calm point (while waiting to slide) - I was kind of amazed they kept the pool open. HAPPY, but amazed. :D

I promise you that the clock was in the bedroom when we left! That is weird that it was not there. I am glad that you got one as it did help us at times too.

Roy was great with getting DVD's for the kids when they wanted to relax a bit. He would always check with them each day to see if they wanted another. We also liked to have Ice Tea in the afternoons. He would bring us a pitcher every day with the daily treats. He also brought cookies for the kids and club sandwiches and chips every day. Also, Roy did serve breakfast in the suite one or two mornings. This was a nice change for us and the kids slept in a bit.

We enjoy breakfast at Cagney's. We do like the quiet atmosphere over the louder Garden Cafe. However, we do not eat there every day. It depends on our mood and the weather. I agree that The Great Outdoors is fantastic for breakfast, lunch, and late night under the stars.

I love the video of the slide. I went down that thing so many times! I am enjoying the pictures and the review.

Ohhh so THAT'S where my clock went! :eek: Did you check your suitcase???? It was so funny because Ephraim was like, clock? What clock, that room doesn't get a clock.

And ICED TEA IN A PITCHER?????? Do you know what I would have given for ICED TEA IN A PITCHER? :eek: Yeahhh I am feeling a little robbed. Maybe you hid the clock in your iced tea pitcher. Hmmmmm?

Hello- I love the review. I have ready many of your prior review as I have children and we cruise quit often. My question for you is I know you are a big RCCL cruiser. How does NCL rate to RCCL? Which do you prefer?

I am getting ready to take my first NCL cruise in less then 2 weeks on the Pearl. (however, I will be kidless for this cruise)

I guess I would say that many of my comparisons in this review do come from my past sailings on RCI. It's hard not to compare the suite experience on the two lines.

As I have elluded to in this review, I found out that I REALLY like to try to make a connection with the suite attendants, waiters, butlers - and if they aren't trying - like as with Cagney's breakfast of "Your juice is on the buffet" - then I just don't have the warm fuzzy feelings on the cruise. ;)

The suite itself was bigger than the Grand Suite on our RCI cruises, so no doubt, the accomodations were better on NCL. You cannot beat the all glass bath tub and shower. Ever sail around Bermuda in a private bubble bath? Yeah, now I can say I have. :D

The service in the MDRs - for me, the edge goes to RCI because even in the My Time Dining, the waiter KNOWS your name. It's not like I just stopped by the local Denny's for lunch. It's a more intimate dining experience.

For Specialty Dining - NCL obviously has many more options than the average RCI ship. There have been a few times on our past RCI sailings where we didn't have a place to go to eat because it has been an in between time (10pm - 10:30pm - waiting for the Solarium Cafe to Open after Adventure Ocean closes) On NCL, there was ALWAYS somewhere to eat. Blue Lagoon became our new favorite place for snacks every single afternoon and almost every night. Open 24 hours. And RCI Chops verses NCL Cagney's - both are very good. It was a VERY nice touch that the NCL concierge came out to greet us in Cagney's.

The entertainment - very much edge to NCL. I can't compare the Oasis style entertainment - but compared to the shows I have seen on every other ship, the NCL Man from Mars - Amazing Show. I kept kicking myself because I missed Second City, but I heard they were very funny.

I plan on doing Epic and I am sooo excited that NCL announced that the Breakaway ship is sailing from NYC. I have been WAITING for RCI to bring a new ship to NYC/NJ and so far, they just keep ignoring the market by leaving Explorer sitting there. So I will do the Breakaway when it comes out. :)

I love your posts! I'm sailing on the Gem this coming Sunday, and reading this will give me something to do to help pass the time until then (you know, aside from trying to get work done and attempting to pack in some sort of organized fashion!) Though your room is the opposite of what mine will be (I have an inside cabin...but oh well!)

You have a beautiful family--and you got some great photos with all of you together! That's my one complaint about all of the trips I've taken with my husband in the past five years--we don't have any photos of us together. Though we DO have a bunch from our honeymoon cruise. I'm thinking we'll have to do a cruise together this coming summer so I can get some good 'family vacation pics'. (He's not joining me for this next one :( )

Can't wait to read more. I'm thinking you'll likely have lots of Bermuda photos, too--I'm really looking forward to those!

Ohhh you will have a great time! Wish I was going back! My husband wasn't on my last Bermuda cruise (June) so I had to go back in October, just to be fair. ;) You'll have to do the same! :D Have a great cruise!

great review...but we need more! we are heading to Bermuda on the Dawn next May, so seeing this review is making our mouth's water...one question are the kids activities the same on both ships?

Yes, the activities are generally the same for all ships that aren't the Nick ships this year (Epic and the Jewel). My signature has a link to more kid pages from other ships - and most activities are similiar fleetwide. The times/days will be different, but the events are the same.

Love your review. Did the carpet in the suite keep you up at night because it is colorfull?

Brenda! HAHAHAHA! My youngest LOVED the purple carpet. I never did say she had an eye for interior design. :p

I am so excited to read the rest of your review Cruisinmama! I like to read the point of view of someone cruising with kids. I am happy to here that the kids club can deal with "energetic and spirited" kids (at least that's how I describe my soon to be 7 year old).

We went on Carnival in July and my oldest was in a different group and he was okay with it. My middle daughter will be in a group with my oldest son in November and the 3 year old will be in the club by himself. i hope he is okay with that. This summer was the first time he experienced the club,but he was with his older sister. He goes to daycare, so he's used to being around other kids without his siblings (fingers crossed it works out).

Great review so far, can't wait for the rest of it. How has NCL improved or declined over the years. We would also like to know how your family compares NCL to RCCL? After our last experience I am afraid to risk a week on NCL with our girls.

Afraid? Eeek! I wouldn't be afraid. I don't know about your last experience but ours was on NCL Norway and our experience on Gem was far ABOVE the one on Norway, like comparing apples and watermelons. ;) How was your last experience scary?

I am enjoying your review and pictures very much! Most precious is the picture of older sister smiling down at her little sister looking up. I appreciated your video of the Gem slide...so that is what it looks like going down! All my experiences come to a dead stop at each turn. Many here who cruise with children will definitely appreciate the postings of kids crew activities. When I saw your suite pictures I could say, "Hey, I sat on that couch one time!" Some day I will get a Gem suite!

Looking forward to reading more...!

coka:D

Coka! I read all about you before I left. Would have loved to have sailed with you! Thanks for stopping by, wishing you many happy cruises! :D

I am so excited to read the rest of your review Cruisinmama! I like to read the point of view of someone cruising with kids. I am happy to here that the kids club can deal with "energetic and spirited" kids (at least that's how I describe my soon to be 7 year old).

We went on Carnival in July and my oldest was in a different group and he was okay with it. My middle daughter will be in a group with my oldest son in November and the 3 year old will be in the club by himself. i hope he is okay with that. This summer was the first time he experienced the club,but he was with his older sister. He goes to daycare, so he's used to being around other kids without his siblings (fingers crossed it works out).

Yes, we were soooo relieved that they were able to handle our little firecracker. :D Her favorite thing to do right now is gymnastics. So we were concerned about her doing the flips right into another child. I guess one of the counselors, Jasmine, showed them her own gymnastics by doing a cartwheel right in the kids club. That impressed my kid...lol.

Have a great cruise! And pack your patience, I know I always do. And check out that kids cafe. It really is a cool little place for them to sit and chill out. And one night they do go to a kids crew dinner there.

cruizinmama what a beautiful family you are so blessed, hi coka muah. Like Coka that pix of the 2 girls on the stairs looking into each other eyes with the scarf wrapped around them was beautiful I have stayed at 11012 2x's I love those suites. Maybe I will see you on a cruise one day out of ny:D

Day 3 continued - The Gem Installs a Wave Pool (well, not really, but according to many people on the ship they did)

VIDEO HERE - Click on the pool picture below to SEE the wave action! :D

th_140.jpg

Oh Em Gee! That looks so fun! Also loved the video of coming down the pool slide. I wish I would have thought of that when we were on the Epic last year darnit! I'll remember next time.

You make me want to go on this ship! I was thinking about the Star, but now the Gem is looking even better. LOL

Have to say the "dress up or not" night...your daughters are beautiful and I love these dresses (they are the same color that we used for our wedding). :D

Also, I noticed the sign that said no one under 6 on the slides unless with adult. So you are allowed to go down the slide with a little one? Did you see anyone doing this?

Love your review, I have been waiting for it since you taught me how to post the Dailys. You have a beautiful family. I am glad you had such a wonderful time.

Heyyy Scrinchy! How have you been! Nice to see ya! Thanks so much for the wonderful compliments. : - )

cruizinmama what a beautiful family you are so blessed, hi coka muah. Like Coka that pix of the 2 girls on the stairs looking into each other eyes with the scarf wrapped around them was beautiful I have stayed at 11012 2x's I love those suites. Maybe I will see you on a cruise one day out of ny

Yes, those suites ARE wonderful. I love the green marble in the bathroom. I have green marble in my bathroom so I felt right at home - except for the fact that we could shower AND bath during sailaway AND still see the island. I really hope those windows are tinted on the outside, if not, then I am formally issuing my apologies to the good people of Bermuda! (EEK!)

Oh Em Gee! That looks so fun! Also loved the video of coming down the pool slide. I wish I would have thought of that when we were on the Epic last year darnit! I'll remember next time.

You make me want to go on this ship! I was thinking about the Star, but now the Gem is looking even better. LOL

Have to say the "dress up or not" night...your daughters are beautiful and I love these dresses (they are the same color that we used for our wedding).

Also, I noticed the sign that said no one under 6 on the slides unless with adult. So you are allowed to go down the slide with a little one? Did you see anyone doing this?

I plan on taking the same camera for the Epic plunge slide. Its waterproof and impact proof (did I mention 7 year old proof?) And YES, there were babies on the slide. I have pictures! But in the interest of good taste and privacy to those babies, I won't post them here. Yes, the parents put the infants (under a year old, I had talked to the parents) on their laps and away they went on the slide.

GEM DAILIES DAY 3

Gem3a.gif

Gem3b.gif

Gem3c.gif

Gem3d.gif

I plan on taking the same camera for the Epic plunge slide. Its waterproof and impact proof (did I mention 7 year old proof?) And YES, there were babies on the slide. I have pictures! But in the interest of good taste and privacy to those babies, I won't post them here. Yes, the parents put the infants (under a year old, I had talked to the parents) on their laps and away they went on the slide.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. (LOVING your review!!) :D

Good Morning Bermuda!

183.jpg

184.jpg

Off to breakfast in the Great Outdoors! My Gastro doc laughed at me today when I told him about all the food I consumed (note to self, prednisone and a cruise ship BAD combo) - he saw the results from the weight report. I didn't think it was so funny.

189.jpg

Love that ocean breeze...makes for some exciting hair

190.jpg

The koala bear cling...

193.jpg

Off the ship - Time for the Beach!

So the easiest way to see Bermuda, the bus/ferry passes. There are 3 ticket booths, located right off the ships (Carnival Pride was docked right next to us). The best value for this trip is the $20 per person 2 day pass or the $28 per person 3 day pass - CASH ONLY and KIDS ARE HALF PRICE! That includes the bus AND the ferry. More on our experience getting around by ferry on Day 5 (much nicer than the bus if you can figure it out in advance)

On this day, our goal was to go to Horseshoe Bay Beach. Since I had already made this trip in June, I knew that we need to get on the bus and take it right to the beach and the trip would be about 30 - 35 minutes long. What I didn't realize this time around (which they didn't do in June) was that they were going to PACK THE BUS FULL to standing room only (I moved one child to sit on my lap) and as the bus driver announced "GENTLEMEN ALWAYS GIVE UP THEIR SEATS FOR A LADY IN BERMUDA!" - to which my husband, of course gave up his seat to a woman who was standing nearby. Some other, ahem, gentlemen, did not. So some women were forced to ride standing and hanging on for dear life for the entire 35 minutes. I am sure it was a ride they will never forget.

We arrive at Horseshoe Bay, unscathed, but happy to be off the bus...lol. And make the treck down the incline. As I wrote in my last report from June, if you have ANY mobility issues, you MAY want to pay the $1.00 to take a quick van ride down the road to the beach. The trip is much easier down, gravity is your friend. On the way back up, the price is $2.00 and marketed as the "Best $2.00 You Will Pay in Bermuda". On this trip, I promised myself I would walk it. And I did. I needed a way to burn off some of those Outdoor Cafe breakfasts ; - )

Once at the bottom, there are changing rooms. And showers. And a nice restroom. The snack bar is CASH ONLY (yes, people always try to use credit cards). The sodas are pricey - $3.00/bottle. I didn't catch the alcohol prices.

To the right, BABY BEACH. A nice, quiet and protected little cove, perfect for families. This is where we found a parrot fish swimming around freely. Also, my kids decided to make the climb up to the top of the cliff with my hubby (NO WAY was anyone getting ME up there. Good thing I had to take the pictures. It's my story and I am sticking to it)

Horseshoe Beach fills us pretty quickly so after a few pictures we made our way to the left of it and followed the higher path (the lower one was covered by the higher tide on this trip) to the next beaches. We kept walking until we arrived at what I can guess what Jobson's Cove Beach. It was right past Stonewall -- and it was the first available and SAFE passage back down to a secluded beach. It was about a 5-10 minute walk (seemed like forever with the whining going on from my youngest, but we made it alive)

Once there, the kids had a great time being the ONLY people in the water. And we even got our Christmas card pictures taken there.

Yes! We are in Bermuda!

203.jpg

They really aren't going to fit all of these people on that bus are they?

204.jpg

The line for the ferry...

205.jpg

Baby Beach

227.jpg

Mr Parrot Fish at Baby Beach

225.jpg

A little cave to the right of Baby Beach

218.jpg

Squeeze through that small cave to the right of Baby Beach (at Horseshoe Bay) and walk up the steep embankment for the next couple of pics (oh yeah, not me, I am too chicken)

219.jpg

221.jpg

See why I brought daddy? Hee hee...that's a good daddy, YOU take them up the heart stopping cliff that hovers above Horseshoe...

216.jpg

215.jpg

214.jpg

210.jpg

Welcome back to sea level my child. Now I can breathe again!

232.jpg

We took "the high path" to the left of Horseshoe...past this beach...

237.jpg

and this is the beach we came to...

239.jpg

238.jpg

255.jpg

Reminder to those parents leaving soon - don't forget your SANTA HATS! The Christmas cards this year are going to say "May visions of pink sandy beaches dance in your head"

244.jpg

Hey girl - LOVING your review! We were in both of those coves on Horseshoe Bay on Thursday. Not a soul on one of them for over an hour. Love it!

I loved Cagney's breakfast - peaceful! It's the only place you can get the fruits de mer on brioche - Al's favorite!!

Loved meeting you guys - so glad you enjoyed the ship. we loved loved it!!!

Archived