"Carry on" size?

Mariketa

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question.

I haven't cruised with air travel since 2005, if I remember correctly there were no baggage charges so I wasn't too concerned about checking 2 bags per person. However, I'm flying Continental from IAH to San Juan and they want $25 for the first bag and $35 for the second, which means I'm going to put as much as I can safely fit in to mine and my husband's carry on bags. Basically I have a three piece baggage set, a very large suitcase, a smaller one with wheels that fits inside and then an all purpose bag. I'm planning on carrying on the 2nd suitcase, the dimensions are almost exactly the "14 inches x 9 inches x 22 inches" stated on the Continental website, but it's not exact, more like within 1/4" either way. I know that the total of the measurements cannot exceed 45 inches, but is the airline going to make me check the bag if the 9" portion is 9 1/4 - 9 1/2?

I don't mean to sound obsessive about this, I'm just intimidated by the thought of flying, being frisked, making sure I don't have any more than a certain number of ounces of hair gel, etc.

We flew IAH to SEA last year on Continental. On the flight out, we had no problem with our carry-on. In SEA, they had us check it at the gate. Same type of airplane, and the carry-on was regulation size. Maybe we had it a bit more stuffed on the return flight, so the case appeared oversize to the gate agent. They didn't charge us a fee, so we didn't argue it with the gate agent. I guess you never know!

Thanks for the information, I did not realize there was no charge to check the bag at the gate. I will be very careful not to overstuff it (my intentions are good anyway. I'm glad they allow a personal item as well, already I have visions of upgrading my wallet size purse so that I can carry my Kindle in it as well.

Thanks for the information, I did not realize there was no charge to check the bag at the gate. I will be very careful not to overstuff it (my intentions are good anyway. I'm glad they allow a personal item as well, already I have visions of upgrading my wallet size purse so that I can carry my Kindle in it as well.

The airline certainly has the right to charge their normal fee for a gate-checked bag. Some airlines do.

I plan to be there early so that I can eat breakfast at the airport, hopefully they won't run out of space before I board (I guess it's just when I get in line since seating is reserved already) and it won't be an issue. Thanks again for the information!

I plan to be there early so that I can eat breakfast at the airport, hopefully they won't run out of space before I board (I guess it's just when I get in line since seating is reserved already) and it won't be an issue. Thanks again for the information!

Most carriers board by zone. First would be people in wheelchairs or with mobility issues. Then people with small kids. Then first class. Then zone one which is generally elites that didn't get an upgrade and people in certain seats near the front of the plane. Zone two is a mismash of people who paid for the ticket with credit cards with affinity entitlements with the carrier and most of the first 20% of rows in coach. Zone three would be the next 20% of rows in coach, zone four the next 20%, and zone five is everyone else.

The further back your seat is, the less likely you are of getting overhead space, unless you are an elite who booked last minute so didn't get an upgrade or are a zone two that landed in the back of the plane.

Lately by the time they get done boarding zone four, the overhead space is generally gone. I've noticed the gate agents have become extremely stringent about the number and size of carryon's. You used to be able to get away with a rollon, a tote, and a small pocketbook. These days that pocketbook better fit into one of the other bags.

Try to board as early as you can, because overhead space is at a premium these days!

If you have a CO Chase Upgraded MC, you will be granted Elite Access for bag check, security line, and boarding (which helps in having a place for your bag above your seat). Plus $2 off alcoholic beverages and Direct TV, which is the only inflight entertainment available on some of CO's planes!

I'm not sure which of the Chase Continental MCs have this privilege, but I traveled last weekend with a friend of mine who has the CO business MC and, since we booked together, I enjoyed these advantages- except when I charged my drink with my CO Chase Signature Visa which did not qualify for the discount:(.

So I'll be switching over very soon....

Most carriers board by zone. First would be people in wheelchairs or with mobility issues. Then people with small kids. Then first class. Then zone one which is generally elites that didn't get an upgrade and people in certain seats near the front of the plane. Zone two is a mismash of people who paid for the ticket with credit cards with affinity entitlements with the carrier and most of the first 20% of rows in coach. Zone three would be the next 20% of rows in coach, zone four the next 20%, and zone five is everyone else.

The further back your seat is, the less likely you are of getting overhead space, unless you are an elite who booked last minute so didn't get an upgrade or are a zone two that landed in the back of the plane.

That's quite a generalization as to the boarding process. First, many airlines do not give families with children priority boarding. Secondly, many airlines board in a window-middle-aisle seat order (after elite boarding), so if you have a window seat in the back of the plane, you have a better chance of getting overhead space than an aisle seat in the front of the plane.

Elite boarding has nothing to do with an elite member getting an upgrade. If you're an elite member, you get priority boarding even if you aren't upgraded.

You really need to check how your particular airline boards.

I agree it's close and you will probably be okay, as long as you don't try to stuff as much as possible inside the bag and outside pockets thus making it bulge, but no guarantees. Gate agents have seen it all, so I personally wouldn't necessarily bank on not being charged if I try to take a carry-on bag that's oversized. People do try that. I'd say once you're on board, odds are more in your favor since flight attendants are trying to get everyone set and the plane out of the gate. Of course, if the plane is late due to people taking on too many or too large carry-on bags, people will blame the airline. And it also takes extra time to disembark as people try to retrieve bags from the overhead bins not designed for all of the bags. If airlines would charge the same for carry-on bags as for checked bags, there might be less chaos. I'd say that one generalization is that the last to board most often get screwed regarding overhead bin space. I've seen lots of people put bags in a bin and then continue back several rows to their seats. And if you're in the first couple of rows, the bins may be filled with life vests, etc.

OP - this is how CO boards:

Unaccompanied minors and disabled, then,

1. Military in uniform

2. First class

3. Elite flyers (1K, Plat., Premier Exec., Premier, *A Gold, *A Silver, those who purchased priority boarding, and those with certain affiliated Chase cards

4. Children under 4

5. Window seats (Boarding pass will say Group 2)

6. Middle seats (Boarding pass will say Group 3)

7. Aisle seats (Boarding pass will say Group 4)

Note that every gate agent may not follow this order. By the time the elites are done boarding, sometimes the planes are half full.

That's quite a generalization as to the boarding process. First, many airlines do not give families with children priority boarding. Secondly, many airlines board in a window-middle-aisle seat order (after elite boarding), so if you have a window seat in the back of the plane, you have a better chance of getting overhead space than an aisle seat in the front of the plane.

Do they seperate traveling parties? What if a child has the window seat? Are they expected to get on and find their seat while the parent with the middle seat waits?

I have flown primarily US but also Jet Blue and CO in the past few years, and don't recall any of those boarding by window/middle/aisle. I guarantee US doesn't do it that way.

Elite boarding has nothing to do with an elite member getting an upgrade. If you're an elite member, you get priority boarding even if you aren't upgraded.

Not on every carrier. On US, first class gets boarded first, and then zone one which is elites without upgrades. Sometiems they'll board FC and Zone 1 together, but it's not typical.

You really need to check how your particular airline boards.

Agreed, but overhead space could still be full after they board elites, handicap, etc. I was on a recent flight where FA luggage took up the first three overheads on either side in coach. Talk about a trickle down effect. It also took forever to load as people had to go further and further back to find overhead space and then swim like salmon upstream to get back to their deat 10 rows up. That was a flight that I was glad I had booked last minute and had a seat in the back of the plane but boarded first. ;)

Try to board as early as you can, because overhead space is at a premium these days!

If you have a CO Chase Upgraded MC, you will be granted Elite Access for bag check, security line, and boarding (which helps in having a place for your bag above your seat). Plus $2 off alcoholic beverages and Direct TV, which is the only inflight entertainment available on some of CO's planes!

I'm not sure which of the Chase Continental MCs have this privilege, but I traveled last weekend with a friend of mine who has the CO business MC and, since we booked together, I enjoyed these advantages- except when I charged my drink with my CO Chase Signature Visa which did not qualify for the discount:(.

So I'll be switching over very soon....

Keep in mind that not all airports have elite security lines, and even where they do, they are sometimes just as long due to the number of people with these affinity cards. I think that less than half of the airports I fly in and out of regularly have those lines.

One doesn't even have an elite checkin line, although considering it's only accessible by puddle jumpers that seat about 30 people, it's never been a problem. ;)

Do they seperate traveling parties? What if a child has the window seat? Are they expected to get on and find their seat while the parent with the middle seat waits?

I have flown primarily US but also Jet Blue and CO in the past few years, and don't recall any of those boarding by window/middle/aisle. I guarantee US doesn't do it that way.

Since OP is flying CO, I only listed that airline's boarding order. No, a parent and child may board together; they are supposed to allow you to board with your companion, if they have a lower number. Do they always? No, just like FAs are not supposed to take up three overhead bins with their bags.

A little OT...

I was recently on a flight where I saw two FA's get on with their roll aboard, tote, pocketbook that was bigger than the tote, and a shopping bag. Probably double what they should have had.

Then the gate agent gives the lady in front of me a hard time because she had a small tote, a small camera bag, and a normal sized ladies bag--all of which could have easily fit under the seat in front of her. A little common sense would have prevailed on that one.

I'd almost prefer that it wasn't the number of items but rather as much as you can fit into a spacer, regardless of how many individual items you have.

Here's a tip for female business travelers: I bought a very slim leather clutch with slots for credit cards/ID/etc. that slips into my briefcase so I can use that for going to eat, shopping, etc. where I don't want to carry the briefcase around.

On my recent flight on AirFrance (Paris - NYC) I was questioned about my carryon at checkin. I knew that the dimensions were winthin the limits, but the agent told me the bag was too large. When my husand placed it in the "test" baggage size display, it fit fine. I do believe that it is their job to try and limit the luggage brought on and alleviate the delays at the boarding gate. We were on a 380 and the amount of carryon space provided was tremendous. I would be concerned, however, if the bag was "a little over" the size limits, because you could wind up having to check it.

Also, for the first time ever I was asked to remove my Kindle from my carryon and let it be scanned as if it were a laptop. Another new wrinkle.

Use common sense. Of course a parent and child can board together.

I never said that they did. :confused: However, some airlines do.

Not on every carrier. On US, first class gets boarded first, and then zone one which is elites without upgrades. Sometiems they'll board FC and Zone 1 together, but it's not typical.

And that is exactly what I said - we agree. When an elite member is upgraded to first class, they board with first class. Then elites who have not been upgraded board with other elites.

That said, OP is flying CO, which boards as 6rugrats has already posted, so it doesn't matter what US Air does.

On our first cruise, we flew from Toronto to FLL. We got though check in and security no problems. While waiting for our flight, an older gentleman approached me and started yelling at me about my carry-on. It was a normal size carry-on, not overstuffed or anything (I was too nervous to try stretching it, it was my first flight anywhere). I also had a small purse. Apparently his carry-on was the same size as mine but when the agent at check-in saw him stuggling with it, she weighed it and found it was way past the weight limit so she made him check it. I carried mine (didn't wheel it) and the agent didn't even give it a second look.

While waiting for our flight, an older gentleman approached me and started yelling at me about my carry-on.

A total stranger yelling at me about anything that's none of their business isn't going to care for my reaction.

And that is exactly what I said - we agree. When an elite member is upgraded to first class, they board with first class. Then elites who have not been upgraded board with other elites.

On US your elite status dictates whether you board with zone 1 or zone 2 if you haven't gotten an upgrade. Silvers board with zone 2, you need to be gold or above to board in zone 1.

That said, OP is flying CO, which boards as 6rugrats has already posted, so it doesn't matter what US Air does.

I missed the CO part in the OP, it's already been pointed out, but thanks for your redundancy to make sure I saw it again...

O.k - boarding order today for CO, on my two flights was the order given for Elite Acess, then they boarded by rows, starting from the back of the plane. Lately, it seems as if they are changing the boarding process weekly. Who knows what it will be tomorrow.

Archived