Aruba, Curacao, Grand Turk, La Romana

sonicbuffalo

We arranged for day passes to Dreams in La Romana and loved it there! It was $60pp and included a really good buffet setup of food and all drinks. They also handed us towels (wish we'd known and we wouldn't have brought them from the ship). The cab ride was $9 pp going there and we got a van from Dreams to take us back for $34 (for 4 of us). We'd definitely go back there!

In Aruba we took a cab to Eagle Beach and walked further down to get away from the crowds. We found loungers for $10 ea right by a beach bar (the area belonged to the yellow hotel across the street......sorry I don't remember the name). It cost us $9 pp for a cab to the beach but only $1.25 for a bus ride back (there was a bus stop right by the beach).

We also went to Dreams and loved it. A beautiful place and great people.

In Aruba, we took the $20 Banana Bus tour at the pier. They dropped us off at Palm Beach after seeing the sights and then picked us up 2 hours later to return to the pier. Then we went shopping in town.

Decisions have been made for our day in La Romana March 13th! We have a large group going with Seavis Tours for the day! Everyone is from our CC Roll Call Thread! So excited...

I believe the transportation will be a breeze...

Sue

Be sure to complete their reservation form to hold your spots as they do fill up the 2 boats I was told. They will send you the form if you e-mail them.

We arranged for day passes to Dreams in La Romana and loved it there! It was $60pp and included a really good buffet setup of food and all drinks. They also handed us towels (wish we'd known and we wouldn't have brought them from the ship). The cab ride was $9 pp going there and we got a van from Dreams to take us back for $34 (for 4 of us). We'd definitely go back there!.

We love staying at the Dreams and Iberostar resorts and have planned a trip for Sept to the Ibero Hacienda Dominicus which we will pass while on the Seavis tour. Whie there we'll have a chance to better explore the area and learn the history.

But on a cruise I can't see spending all day at a resort in a destination with so many beautiful areas to explore unless you're already very familiar with the area? But the Dreams resorts are very nice, and I suppose it's the same as going to a beach for the day, just has the resort amenities included...

Aruba rented a jeep drove around the windward side(East side) -whioh is opposite from the beach side-

packed a lunch from ship'd room service ;had a small collapsable cooler and bought a few beers on shore

and stopped had lunch during the drive

California Light House; Natural Bridge- few sites

Theres is also an area where on the NorthEast side where there is all these statues which are made from rocks which is real cool

Went to one of the nice beaches on Aruba - Eagle Beach

went in water Actually used the computer in one of the hotels this was 2005 so didnt have a blackberry

Ship we were on Destiny stayed till 10PM so we went back to ship had a burger then went back out hit a bar that was next to Carlos N Charlies and also did some shopping stores close at 6PM

Just returned from this itinerary. Loved all the ports.

In Grand Turk we walked down the beach to the conch shell graveyard. Found many shells, some in better shape than others. Also found lots of sea glass. Hung out at the beach right by the dock for most of the day. Did a little snorkeling. no coral but quite a few fish. Saw flounder, dog faced puffer, gar, damsels, tangs, parrotfish and angelfish and others.

In Aruba our group had planned on taking the public bus to Palm Beach but we changed our transportaion plans when a bus driver agreed to $2.00 per person. We rode in his open air bus about 10-15 minutes to the beach. We set up camp near the bugaloo beach bar. Food was great, we tried a sampler platter ($10 US) that included onion rings, coconut shrimp, tuna salad roll up and seafood roll up. We enjoyed the beach here, some some waves, lots of broken coral and rock as you enter the water but it is mainly soft, fine sand past that. After the beach we returned to the ship (this time we shared a cab, don't remember the exact fare but was probably about $3.00 PP) showered and changed and headed back out to do some shopping. We met our group back at Iguana Joe's for dinner (I had the Gouda Pashtee's (sp?) and they were really good. My DH had the jerk chicken skewers, spicy and tasty. Be sure to check out the drink menu here! ;)

We spent a day at Dreams in La Romana. Very nice resort, picturesque and sprawling. We had set up this excursion a head of time and had about 75 people in our group. We secured a taxi van at the port, $10 per person each way). Day pass cost was $60 PP and was all inclusive. The drinks were free flowing and the the food was delicious! Many of group spent the entire day at the swim up bar. That was the place to be if you wanted action and fun. The beach was beautiful with gentle surf and super soft sand. The resort grounds are immaculate and very photogenic.

In Curacao we reserved a bus tour with Irie Tours for $20 PP. We were able to customize our excursion since we had about 25 people interested in this tour. Our bus was filled with cold beer, soda and water and we were taken on a mini tour of the island as we made our way to Playa Pora Marie beach. The beach was beautiful with a great beach bar where we ordered lunch. I had the brie, bacon and honey sandwich (yum!) and DH had the crab salad sandwich (yum again!). I think the total cost for lunch was about $16 US.

We really enjoyed all of our excursions and these ports. We always felt safe and the people were all very warm and friendly. the people of Curacao waved at our bus all day. They even smiled and posed for pictures.

Any specific quetions fire away. :)

For those of you who are going on itinerary on Miracle after Jan 27, can you also please report back about what you did and the temps in the areas. We leave 3/1 and I'm trying to plan what to do where and what to pack to wear.

Also if you're on Miracle can you let me know how the ship is after dry dock and who is playing in the piano bar???

Thanks!

Hi there!

I got back yesterday from the Miracle. Temps were in the mid to high 80's during the day.

Aruba - took a tour from the pier (WIX Tours $20 pp) 2 1/2 hours. Saw the lighthouse, Calibri Rock formation, Alto Vista Church and drove thru the hotel district. Tony, our tour guide/driver gave a lot of info about the island while driving thru. He gave us the option of getting off at the beach/hotel area, downtown, or back to the ship. We got off downtown and walked back to the ship.

Curacao - Had a tour booked with Irie tours, but didn't factor in the time difference so we missed it. Went back to the port area and picked up the same type of tour there. I believe it was rainbow tours. Again $20 pp and was about 2 1/2 hours. There was no beach stop included.

La Romana - We took the shuttle from the pier to Altos de Chavon for $7 pp round trip. It was about 20 minutes from the pier. You get the shuttle back at your convenience and we were told by the ticket seller that the last bus returning was at 3 p.m.

Grand Turk - we spent the first half of the day to the beach on the right side of the pier - plenty of lounge chairs, sun or shady areas were both available. Then we went over to Jack's shack, but were not really impressed.

The changes on the ship from drydock that I noticed were flatscreen tvs in the cabin and the aft pool deck has been changed over to the Serentiy Deck with padded lounge chairs and clamshell type beds. We picked up lunch in the Lido one afternoon and sat out there at a table near the bar. The PA system had music playing, and I didn't find it to be all that serene! I preferred it the way it had been originally, but I know I'm in the minority:). The dining room menus have changed, but I believe that is fleet wide.

The Fun Times had "Brennan" listed as the piano bar player.

Hope this helped and enjoy your cruise in March!:)

Linda

We did this itinerary in Feb on the Miracle.

Grand Turk- We rented golf carts and toured the island. Although we were with a few people and one of their carts literally went up in flames. :eek: I'm hoping that doesn't happen very often.

Aruba- We used Bully and toured the island then went to the beach.

Curacao- We went to the Hilton during the day and walked around a little at night.

La Romana- We did Dreams and absolutely loved it. Would go back there in a heartbeat.

If my husband and i ever did an all inclusive we want to do dreams....on that note we are doing this itinerary in November '12, how do we book a day at Dreams??? thanks everybody

Celticd1 - Where is the conch shell graveyard? We are going snorkeling in the morning but this may be a neat place to stop afterwards. Thanks!

As you head down the dock from the ship you will see that you can go left or right just past the Grand Turk sign. Turn to the right and walk down the beach. The further you go the more conch shells you'll find. Most are scattered on the upper part of the beach. We walked to the point and turned around there. You may want to wear water shoes.

can someone tell me about Jacks Shack in Grand turk please...would it be appropriate to take a 10 yr and an 8 yr old with us??? thanks

Jack's Shack is simply a small bar/restaurant located on the beach just north of where the ship docks.

They have chairs on the beach available for use, and the beach is very nice.

There would be no problem taking your children there and watching them while you drink or have fun together.

Another option is to get a cab to the Bohio resort, farther north on the island. Very inexpensive to get there. Far less people, a beautiful beach, good drinks, and food, and water type craft for rent or diving/snorkeling excursions available.

Thank you for your response...I don't think we will go far from the ship that day seeing as we dock early at 7 am and leave early at 2 am...probably just explore the ship and maybe get off for a quick walk while kids are in kids club...thanks everybody

Has anyone been on this itinerary? If so, what did you like or dislike about it? We're leaving to go on it in a few weeks. We'd like to know as much as possible about it?

Loved it went to the Dreams Resort while in DR for $60pp and took advantage of the all inclusive (alcohol and drink) had a great day well worth the trip.

Loved it went to the Dreams Resort while in DR for $60pp and took advantage of the all inclusive (alcohol and drink) had a great day well worth the trip.

There are a few in our group that do not drink...are there things to do at Dreams besides just drink? Water toys, volley ball, etc?? I know....the drinkingis a big plus, but just want to make sure everyone has something for them!!

We're going with our 7 year old son. Need some feedback:

La Romana - Dreams resort or Seavis?

Curacao - Blue Bay Resort or Kon Tiki/Cabana Beach?

La Romana - we're doing the Seavis tour, I just can't see spending the day at a resort when this is a new destination for us. It's not as bad as staying o the ship but a darn similar experience! I'm sure there are those with young kids or limitations that a resort is perfect for of course.

There was a guy in a guardhouse at the entrance. It just reminded me of a gated community setup. I didn't notice a gun. You had to give your names. I just showed our reservation email, no problem. It's a beautiful place and we really enjoyed our day there.

There was no problem getting a taxi to or from the resort. We saw signs to Bayahibe and other attractions along the way. We never felt anything but safe.

Archived