Aruba, Curacao, Grand Turk, La Romana

sonicbuffalo

I have a question for those who have already done this itinerary and also an itinerary that has stops in Tortola and Antigua. Which did you like better?? I am so undecided between the two. Have not done this one, but would kind of like to go back to Tortola so I can see Jost Van Dyke!

Antigua and Tortola get my vote as both are gorgeous, and you also have the Excellence day sail on Antigua. Antigua and Tortola also offer much better island tours because of their beauty.

This cruise we're taking in April will be all beaches, no real island exploration. But we're looking forward to it. I would actually recommemd spending a week in Antigua followed by a week in Tortola.

Whatever you do, don't pay $45.00 for the Alto De Chavon tour in La Romana. You can walk off the ship and catch a nice new bus over there for $7.00 round trip. It's well worth it, and why waste your money?

Some of our fellow CC's went and paid approx. $15 or so to catch the bus going to Dreams resort where they spent the day at an AI which cost an extra $60 or so.

We just went snorkeling the day before in Grand Turk, which I highly recommend because the water is so clear and warm. The reefs were beautiful and teeming with fish along the wall. If you want to do that trip aboard the Catamaran, for $49 or so, book it early as it sold out. The other snorkeling trip we took was fun, and we went to two different sites. One was on a shallower reef and the other along the wall. The guides were great, and there was plenty of space onboard. I thought my wife would be scared of the shark we saw but it didn't bother her. The guide was feeding it. It was a nurse or reef shark.

The Aruba excursion was done through Bully, and he was great. He had a van that took 5 of us all over the island including driving by the hotel high rise district where Natalie Holloway stayed, and the golf course where Joran Van Der Sleuth's father had a heart attack and died. Not that those were highlights, but interesting to see where some of the stuff happened. We also went to a lighthouse, and up to a water tower overlooking the island. We could see our ship off in the distance. It was supposed to be a 3.5 hour tour and ended up being closer to 5 hours. Bully didn't charge us any extra either.

The Curacao excursion was done through Irie Tours. His name was Dennis, and he was great too. He took us to the old Jewish neighborhoods where the island was giving those who were restoring the mansions up to 70% to revamp them. He took us over the big bridge as we docked in the channel, and not the mega pier. We had soda, beer, and water all for $20.00 and that included paying for all of us to go into the beach for 1.5 hours.

This is a great itinerary, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it no matter what you do. There is a lot to see and do except in La Romana. Alto De Chavon overlooks a river where they filmed Apocalypse Now, and also Anaconda. The buildings were great to see with their old architectural styles.

Hope you enjoy your trips coming up there. If you have any questions please ask. I haven't had time to download any pictures yet so don't get in a hurry for that just yet.

Whatever you do, don't pay $45.00 for the Alto De Chavon tour in La Romana. You can walk off the ship and catch a nice new bus over there for $7.00 round trip. It's well worth it, and why waste your money?

Thanks for the info. We just booked this tour thru Carnival. Did you have to pay an entrance fee to La Romana ($25 pp) and Altos de Chavon ($5 pp)? That's what Carnival told us and why they encouraged us to book thru them. Will we have any problems getting back to the ship if we do it on our own? Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

For La Romana we are considering going to Alton to see the artist community and local architecture.

We know there is a bus that goes from the port so the Carnival bus is not necessary.

Are there any other charges to get into Alton? Also curious as to whether others think this is worth going to.

Thanks for your help.

We sailed this itinerary on Miracle for Thanksgiving 2010.

Grand Turk was too windy to dock. :(

La Romana we did the cigar factory tour and Altos de Chavon. The cigar factory was interesting, Altos de Chavon was pretty but pretty boring at the same time.

Curacao we went did a beach excursion thru Carnival, I forget which one.

Aruba we did Jolly Pirates which was OK.

We sailed this itinerary on Miracle for Thanksgiving 2010.

Grand Turk was too windy to dock. :(

La Romana we did the cigar factory tour and Altos de Chavon. The cigar factory was interesting, Altos de Chavon was pretty but pretty boring at the same time.

Curacao we went did a beach excursion thru Carnival, I forget which one.

Aruba we did Jolly Pirates which was OK.

Just curious, if Carnival could not dock in Grand Turk and didn't substitute another port, would they have to reimburse the port tax to the passengers? I think that was what they were supposed to to?

drosplot could expand your comments on the tour of the Cigar factory.

Did your group take a taxi from the port area. If so, what was the cost for the taxi?

Did you take the hour tour? Did you purchase any cigars in the factory store.

Please share your experience.

Red

I just returned from an Eastern Caribbean itinerary - and a stop in Grand Turk. If you are interested in museums, etc. it is very easy to get to them. Grab a local bus (they all park in the same taxi/bus area), be sure it is a local bus - the others are pricey, but again not bad. Several miles along the shore is another area with a few souvenir shops, a couple of eating establishments, St. Mary's church, a museum, and an arboretum. We had to rush through due to our getting there late. The arboretum is a great, quiet place just to sit and enjoy the cool breeze. Keep researching, maybe even send a note off to the Turks and Caicos tourist board. They had great info in the bus/taxi area. Be sure and try the conch fritters and the local beer, you will not be disappointed. (Simply ask the bus driver to take you along the shore to where these things are - I think there is only one road!)

I know a lot of people like Margaritaville, but honestly, that could be plunked anywhere, that entire area is completely made just for the cruise ships. To me it was basically an extension of the lido deck. Nothing about it was indicative of Grand Turk.

Have fun - I wish I would have skipped the over-priced, over-crowded snorkel tour and just toured around the island. Which reminds me - you can also rent golf carts and go around which would have been awesome. The island is only 7 miles long, you are never far from the ship!!!

I am still at a loss as to what to do in Grand Turk. It looks like this place is nothing more than a beach/bar port. With 3 Sea Days in the itinerary, I would really like to find things a bit more adventurous to do. I see there is an excursion riding dune buggies across the island. I have also seen that there are a few small museums on the island. I still have close to a year so I am sure we will find something to before we set sail.

Great thread - thanks for starting it :)

We leave next month (feels good to say that) and are trying to decide what to do in Curacao - we have all the other Islands figured out....

Any suggestions - Beaches? We would taxi over to a beach spend a few hours, taxi back and shop a bit in town - we were thinking Cas Abou (I think that is how you spell it) but there are so many beaches. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Haven't gone yet but we'll be on the Miracle 2-day plus 8-day late in January. Here is what we have planned/booked:

Grand Turk - golf cart to Jacks Shack and see sights, look for shells.

La Romana, DR - Santo Domingo Deluxe Tour (all day).

Aruba - See and Sea Island Tour (Hull of a boat with underwater windows).

Curacao - Discover Curacao Island Tour.

Kev

Haven't gone yet but we'll be on the Miracle 2-day plus 8-day late in January. Here is what we have planned/booked:

Grand Turk - golf cart to Jacks Shack and see sights, look for shells.

La Romana, DR - Santo Domingo Deluxe Tour (all day).

Aruba - See and Sea Island Tour (Hull of a boat with underwater windows).

Curacao - Discover Curacao Island Tour.

Kev

Kev - We are doing the same B2B - You should come and say hello on the roll call :)

For La Romana we are considering going to Alton to see the artist community and local architecture.

We know there is a bus that goes from the port so the Carnival bus is not necessary.

Are there any other charges to get into Alton? Also curious as to whether others think this is worth going to.

Thanks for your help.

Just head to the Taxi station. They have all the rates posted. We have been to Altos de Chavon twice. Once on a tour with Carnival, when we didn't know better, and we went again last week.

4 people, $30 round trip. We gave the drive $10 extra on the way back to stop at a local market called Jumbo. It's like a Walmart, Costco, and Flee Market all in one place.

So that's $40 for all of us.....I think Carnival is $40-45 per person.

Its a nice stop, with a few scenic spots, and a couple shops.

In a port with limited options, its worth it.

Enjoy your cruise!

Just head to the Taxi station. They have all the rates posted. We have been to Altos de Chavon twice. Once on a tour with Carnival, when we didn't know better, and we went again last week.

4 people, $30 round trip. We gave the drive $10 extra on the way back to stop at a local market called Jumbo. It's like a Walmart, Costco, and Flee Market all in one place.

So that's $40 for all of us.....I think Carnival is $40-45 per person.

Its a nice stop, with a few scenic spots, and a couple shops.

In a port with limited options, its worth it.

Enjoy your cruise!

did it cost to get in to Altos de Chavon? Thanks is it worth it to see it?

Great thread - thanks for starting it :)

We leave next month (feels good to say that) and are trying to decide what to do in Curacao - we have all the other Islands figured out....

Any suggestions - Beaches? We would taxi over to a beach spend a few hours, taxi back and shop a bit in town - we were thinking Cas Abou (I think that is how you spell it) but there are so many beaches. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Hey dst - we're on the same cruise - I think we've figured out that we're also in aft cabins along with you ;)

Anyway - the first time my husband and I sailed to Curacao we grabbed a cab to Cas Abou - I don't know if it was the fact that it was our anniversary or that there were only maybe ten other people there or that the snorkeling was phenomenal but our day there was FABULOUS!!! The cab ride is a little pricey and takes about 35-40 minutes to get there but was well worth it for us. Now - looking at their site I see they have added a trampoline and other water toys so I'm sure it's changed quite a bit. You won't be sorry if you decide to head there!

Hey dst - we're on the same cruise - I think we've figured out that we're also in aft cabins along with you ;)

Anyway - the first time my husband and I sailed to Curacao we grabbed a cab to Cas Abou - I don't know if it was the fact that it was our anniversary or that there were only maybe ten other people there or that the snorkeling was phenomenal but our day there was FABULOUS!!! The cab ride is a little pricey and takes about 35-40 minutes to get there but was well worth it for us. Now - looking at their site I see they have added a trampoline and other water toys so I'm sure it's changed quite a bit. You won't be sorry if you decide to head there!

Thanks for the info - I believe we are neighbors on this trip....... we'll try to behave :)

Thanks for the info - I believe we are neighbors on this trip....... we'll try to behave :)

We are in an aft cabin on the 2-day and 8-day too.

Can anyone give some insight into the Santo Domingo tours. We couldn't much at all in the ports section. We've booked the deluxe one.

Kev

We are in an aft cabin on the 2-day and 8-day too.

Can anyone give some insight into the Santo Domingo tours. We couldn't much at all in the ports section. We've booked the deluxe one.

Kev

Yes us too :) It's good to know your neighbors!

Santo Domingo - do you mean DR, we decided to book an excursion with Carnival....the speed boat over to Samoa Island.

I am doing this intinerary on the Freedom for Thanksgiving 2012. I am getting concerned with the lack of excursions available through Carnival which makes me think there isn't much to do on these islands. I usually do my own excursions but get ideas from Carnival whats available. I will be celebrating my kids 18th birthday on this cruise also and while my husband and I just love the beach, I wanted something a little more exciting for the kids.

Any suggestions on what to do at this ports with 3 17-18 year olds? I know Aruba from land vacations, its the other ports that concern me.

I am doing this intinerary on the Freedom for Thanksgiving 2012. I am getting concerned with the lack of excursions available through Carnival which makes me think there isn't much to do on these islands. I usually do my own excursions but get ideas from Carnival whats available. I will be celebrating my kids 18th birthday on this cruise also and while my husband and I just love the beach, I wanted something a little more exciting for the kids.

Any suggestions on what to do at this ports with 3 17-18 year olds? I know Aruba from land vacations, its the other ports that concern me.

Well - we're mostly beach bums but exciting things for 17-18 year olds? I guess in Grand Turk they could do the Flowrider thing. I think there are also Dune Buggy tours. GT isn't known for land excursions - it's whats under the water that's cool there.

DR - struggling with this port myself. I think we are chartering a yacht for the day for our group of 10. Kinda pricey but we'll get to go to Sanoa and Pamillia on our own schedule.

Aruba - parasailing? That's exhilerating :D. Otherwise they have windsurfing/kitesailing further up on Palm Beach.

Curacao - Cas Abou beach is fabulous - they have added water sport toys there - trampoline and other stuff. Otherwise do a catamaran sail.

Hope this helped - have a great time on your cruise!!

Great information everyone! I have a cruise booked on the Freedom that is doing this itinerary and I cannot wait. The ports are quite unique, but I'm glad to see a lot of you loved the ports. I think I'm gonna research into doing the Dreams resort at Dominican Republic, and beaches for Grand Turk, Curacao & Aruba. We aren't really into tours or adventurous type stuff since we have DS with us so beaches are great for us! :D

Well - we're mostly beach bums but exciting things for 17-18 year olds? I guess in Grand Turk they could do the Flowrider thing. I think there are also Dune Buggy tours. GT isn't known for land excursions - it's whats under the water that's cool there.

DR - struggling with this port myself. I think we are chartering a yacht for the day for our group of 10. Kinda pricey but we'll get to go to Sanoa and Pamillia on our own schedule.

Aruba - parasailing? That's exhilerating :D. Otherwise they have windsurfing/kitesailing further up on Palm Beach.

Curacao - Cas Abou beach is fabulous - they have added water sport toys there - trampoline and other stuff. Otherwise do a catamaran sail.

Hope this helped - have a great time on your cruise!!

Thanks for the info but unfortunately due to the lack of excursions, I switched to the 7 day Exotic Western Caribbean on the Liberty for the same week. Lots more of excursions on that route. Being my kids 18th birthday, I want to make sure they have a great time being it could possibly be the last big family cruise we have before they head off to college. Maybe next time

Archived