No Kids in CL but Adults at DreamWorks Breakfast & Getting Face-Painting??

Here's a thought...maybe RCCL can have a "Character Happy Hour" in the CL for Adults only??!!

Then all of the adults can "schmooze" with their favorites and not worry about taking it away from the kids :)

Heck, maybe they'll even pose for pictures, sign autographs, and do some jello shots!

HAHA this made me laugh!! Kick back a few brews with Shreck!! I love it!

I can reply with opinions on both sides of the coin. We were on the Allure with our 2.5 yo daughter and we stayed in a Grand Suite.

MH and I were able to enjoy the CL cocktail hour once, since that was the only night we could escape without DD (leaving her with the grandparents). I really enjoyed that one evening and wish I could have enjoyed more. My daughter is very quiet and well behaved, and frankly...I paid for her to be the suite with us and I sure as hell should have been able to get a her a few apps and hors d'oerves that come with her paying to be in the suite with us.

Seeing as how we were usually in line behind abut 40 adults for most character meet-and-greets, the least they can do is give children preference in these situations, just as they give adults a certain preference by choosing to not allow kids into the CL.

That would be great, but they now do NOT give adults preference by having an adult only cocktail hour in the CL.

then i'm confused. are cocktails hours NOT adults only because the lounge is adults only?

Not anymore, under the new rules kids are allowed in the CL 24/7.

I´d be happy to have them have two venues one with kids and one without. I´m sure the one with kids can be quite small, as I doubt there´s too many that asked for this (according to AG´s blog) and the majority prefers a kid free CL.

Making the CL suite guest only including kids would not help me, as I´m a suite guest not wanting kids;)

Now for the OP - You won´t find me in any face painting line or at any character breakfast - eeewwwww to both.:eek:

How exactly are the character breakfasts setup? People keep suggesting they should simply open more seating. They probably have limited seating for a reason. It's probably not due to lack of physical space, nor lack of food on boar, or even lack of staff to prepare in serve. I am guessing the limiting factor to the capacity is the characters themselves?

How many are at a given breakfast and how many are there in total that could actually be available? People have said there are multiple breakfasts on a cruise and they sign up for all of them. I assume this means there are different characters at each? Is each breakfast tied to a particular movie? Like one day it's Shrek characters, the next Kung Fu Panada, then the Madagascar ones another day?

If you want to expand capacity, you would want to do it without really cutting down on the time each table/patron was able to spend with the characters. Is this really possible? Can you even have more characters at once? I don't know if they have performers that play multiple roles.

Here's a thought...maybe RCCL can have a "Character Happy Hour" in the CL for Adults only??!!

Then all of the adults can "schmooze" with their favorites and not worry about taking it away from the kids :)

Heck, maybe they'll even pose for pictures, sign autographs, and do some jello shots!

Now that's funny!

How exactly are the character breakfasts setup? People keep suggesting they should simply open more seating. They probably have limited seating for a reason. It's probably not due to lack of physical space, nor lack of food on boar, or even lack of staff to prepare in serve. I am guessing the limiting factor to the capacity is the characters themselves?

How many are at a given breakfast and how many are there in total that could actually be available? People have said there are multiple breakfasts on a cruise and they sign up for all of them. I assume this means there are different characters at each? Is each breakfast tied to a particular movie? Like one day it's Shrek characters, the next Kung Fu Panada, then the Madagascar ones another day?

If you want to expand capacity, you would want to do it without really cutting down on the time each table/patron was able to spend with the characters. Is this really possible? Can you even have more characters at once? I don't know if they have performers that play multiple roles.

Our character breakfast in June on Freedom had about 75 people in the back corner of the dining room. There was not much of a program, the MC was one of the activities staff. I think he told a few kid appropriate jokes but we couldn't hear very well as we were on the outskirts of the group. He then brought the characters out, one at a time, and they danced around for a minute or two to music. We had the characters from Madagascar: Alex the Lion, Gloria the Hippo and King Julien. The character then went from table to table for photo ops. After the first character had visited all tables, the second one was brought out and everything repeated.

I was surprised by the number of adults there who did not have children. We would not have gone if not for our two grandchildren. :D And I don't think I could have gotten my husband or grandson #1 back for a second breakfast as they both thought it was boring!

Sherri:)

Edited by sjb317

Perhaps RCCL should allow bookings preference to families first. After all, when you fill out your forms they know the ages of all passengers. But also, things fill up. Maybe booking something that is so important to the kids should be done at the time of deposit or as early as possible. I'm sure it's like excursions, if you cancel with enough notice, you get refunded. I also feel that passengers should be limited to one character bfast per cruise so as to allow as many people as possible to experience it since it is a limited number. You can always book additional times onboard if it's not sold out.

Comparing this to the Kids in CL is apples and oranges though.

I think it's ridiculous that people are saying adults shouldn't go to the character breakfasts. Why not? I mean, going to ALL of them is a bit much, but it's a perk that everyone pays for as part of the crusie fare. Dreamworks movies aren't just for kids, they are very much adult cartoons with a lot of humor that only adults get.

If I had kids and found out it was full, I would be mad at myself for not booking it earlier, NOT the other people who had the forethought to do so.

I think it's ridiculous that people are saying adults shouldn't go to the character breakfasts. Why not? I mean, going to ALL of them is a bit much, but it's a perk that everyone pays for as part of the crusie fare. Dreamworks movies aren't just for kids, they are very much adult cartoons with a lot of humor that only adults get.

If I had kids and found out it was full, I would be mad at myself for not booking it earlier, NOT the other people who had the forethought to do so.

I like Dreamworks movies too, but not to the point that I need to get up extra early to sit in the DR while someone in a costume dances around.

It's not a matter of not having forethought. Some people may not know that it's an option. By the time they get the email, it could very well be full since we have so many enthusiastic adults wanting to attend.

Our character breakfast in June on Freedom had about 75 people in the back corner of the dining room. There was not much of a program, the MC was one of the activities staff. I think he told a few kid appropriate jokes but we couldn't hear very well as we were on the outskirts of the group. He then brought the characters out, one at a time, and they danced around for a minute or two to music. We had the characters from Madagascar: Alex the Lion, Gloria the Hippo and King Julien. The character then went from table to table for photo ops. After the first character had visited all tables, the second one was brought out and everything repeated.

I was surprised by the number of adults there who did not have children. We would not have gone if not for our two grandchildren. :D And I don't think I could have gotten my husband or grandson #1 back for a second breakfast as they both thought it was boring!

Sherri:)

Just 75 ?? Wow. Even smaller group than I thoght. And that's on a pretty good sized ship.

How many people do they accommodate for Oasis and Allure? Any idea? Also, about how long does the entire breakfast last?

According to my wife, there were about eight to ten tables in one corner of the MDR where they did it. This was on the Allure. So 75 people is about right. We knew about it ahead of time thanks to these boards, but by the time we tried to book it so our young kids could attend, there were only two spaces left, meaning we had to choose which of our three kids would be the one who got to go.

And we did these many weeks ahead of the cruise.

But I'm sure the adults unaccompanied by kids at the character breakfast really enjoyed getting a chance to get their picture taken with the characters.

It's not a question about whether the rules allow something--they now allow kids in the CL 24/7. It's about adults conducting themselves like adults. To me, bringing kids into the CL during cocktail hour is pathetic--equally pathetic to a grown adult going to a character breakfast without kids.

Well I guess they could make people pay for it, but they would have to give a lot of refunds, as truly it is not worth getting up for.

We were in the LOS and it was also in the back corner. The LOS has a small overflow private dining room which would have been much better suited as a venue IMPO.

According to my wife, there were about eight to ten tables in one corner of the MDR where they did it. This was on the Allure. So 75 people is about right. We knew about it ahead of time thanks to these boards, but by the time we tried to book it so our young kids could attend, there were only two spaces left, meaning we had to choose which of our three kids would be the one who got to go.

And we did these many weeks ahead of the cruise.

But I'm sure the adults unaccompanied by kids at the character breakfast really enjoyed getting a chance to get their picture taken with the characters.

It's not a question about whether the rules allow something--they now allow kids in the CL 24/7. It's about adults conducting themselves like adults. To me, bringing kids into the CL during cocktail hour is pathetic--equally pathetic to a grown adult going to a

character breakfast without kids.

I so agree with you on both issues. At least some parents get it.

Okay I can understand booking one breakfast but three in one cruise? Come on that is a little much. Why not let someone else have a crack at it?

GIMMEE! GIMMEE!! GIMMEE!!! that's the mantra!!!! has gone from the greatest generation to the Gimmee generation....;)

Is every activity inherently "adult only" or "kids only". I'll say no.. Not every activity. But are some? Sure.. But which ones?

What's "adult"?? A Happy Hour? yeah. I suppose that's pretty much an adult activity. Just hanging out in a bar/lounge? Adult.. But in a family friendly envionment like an RCI cruise ship, a bit less so than a dedicated happy hour. Well behaved kids sitting there having a Shirley Temple or Roy Rogers should be just fine. A late night comedy show with "R rated" language? Yeah.. probably adult. the night club at night? yeah.. adult.

What abou children only? A Character breakfast? I dunno. A little more borderline. I don't think it's as clear cut as the happy hour. It's true that adults may loves them some Shrek. Me? I like Shrek.. But not enough to go to a character breakfast. A character padarde? Ehh... i would not go out of my way and go and stand around waiting for it to start just to see it. If Shrek was walking around the ship, posing for pictures, I MIGHT stop and pose for one if there wasn't much of a wait. What other events or activities are clearly "children only"?? Face painting? Probably. The merry-go-round on Oasis and Allure? I say no.

I like Dreamworks movies too, but not to the point that I need to get up extra early to sit in the DR while someone in a costume dances around.

Gettign up extra early? Are they doing this at 5am or something? I'm normally up and moving around by 5am on work days and 6am on days off and vacation (maybe 7am if I had a really really long night).

The merry-go-rounds on Allure and Oasis aren't kids only activities for a simple reason. They run all day, and I can't ever remember them being more than a third occupied. My kids probably went on the merry-go-round 100 times (literally) during the trip. There was never an issue of access.

But that's not the case with the CL (or the character breakfasts, or the face-painting, which is only open for a limited time). When kids are taking up space in the CL during the cocktail hour, that's less room for adults. And that particular venue is more appropriate for adults--not necessarily ONLY appropriate for adults but MORE appropriate for adults.

Same goes for the character breakfast. It is MORE appropriate for kids than adults. When adults take up the space at the character breakfast, they are taking up a limited space that is MORE appropriately reserved for a child. I get that adults enjoy the character breakfasts. But in a limited space event, they are taking away a spot from the audience that the event was primarily designed for (i.e., kids).

Out of curiosity, why is Shrek more appropriate for kids than adults? is it REALLY like drinking booze? I'm not really saying you are wrong.. I mean, it is probably right FOR ME. But I am not so sure I can really say that it's the same for other adults.

Edited by jsmeeker

The merry-go-rounds on Allure and Oasis aren't kids only activities for a simple reason. They run all day, and I can't ever remember them being more than a third occupied. My kids probably went on the merry-go-round 100 times (literally) during the trip. There was never an issue of access.

But that's not the case with the CL (or the character breakfasts, or the face-painting, which is only open for a limited time). When kids are taking up space in the CL during the cocktail hour, that's less room for adults. And that particular venue is more appropriate for adults--not necessarily ONLY appropriate for adults but MORE appropriate for adults.

Same goes for the character breakfast. It is MORE appropriate for kids than adults. When adults take up the space at the character breakfast, they are taking up a limited space that is MORE appropriately reserved for a child. I get that adults enjoy the character breakfasts. But in a limited space event, they are taking away a spot from the audience that the event was primarily designed for (i.e., kids).

If this is such an issue for you then send an email to Adam and let him know of your disappointment. He took care of the CL issue by letting kids in so I'm sure that he will take care of this issue too by kicking those without children out of the breakfast. If you haven't heard, families now rule on RCI.:rolleyes:

Edited by cruisingator2

Was there more than one character breakfast on your cruise?

You stated earlier there was only one. Others mention booking for multiple breakfasts.

Did you miss the other two?

Evaluator:

I'm not sure if there was one character breakfast or multiple character breakfasts. But when we went online to book the character breakfast, they only gave us one option, which had space available only for two. As I think about it, there may have been other breakfasts, but when I clicked on them, they said there was no availability at those breakfasts. So there probably were multiple breakfasts. They just filled up within days of becoming available online. I went back multiple times to check on availability to see if anything opened up. It never did.

Evaluator:

I'm not sure if there was one character breakfast or multiple character breakfasts. But when we went online to book the character breakfast, they only gave us one option, which had space available only for two. As I think about it, there may have been other breakfasts, but when I clicked on them, they said there was no availability at those breakfasts. So there probably were multiple breakfasts. They just filled up within days of becoming available online. I went back multiple times to check on availability to see if anything opened up. It never did.

Thanks for answering.

I think your issues should be directed more at RCI. On a ship with a dining room that seats 2700 +/- people, there should not be a limit on the number able to attend.

If the character breakfast was so popular that everyone on the ship wanted to do it, and multiple times at that, why would it be a bad thing to expand the times and capacities?

I'm sure the photographers were there taking photos to later try to sell for $20 each.