So so so mad right now

The_ZOO

We have a cruise planned for January 5 on the miracle. The day e ship leaves is my daughters 16th birthday, so needless to say it is supposed to be a surprise. I was going to tell the girls that we were going to Florida for their birthdays for a few days ( my youngest has a bday on January 12). Well imagine my surprise to find out that someone told my daughter, now the surprise is ruined and she basically said well you can't change the plans now! I just want to scream. This trip has been planned since the end of Feb. Now what do I do?

you said "needless to say it was a surprise".

right there was your error.

there was a need to keep your plans secret. you chose not to.

Go on the cruise and have a good time? A surprise is a surprise...doesn't make sense to get all upset about them finding out early. Life's too short.....

Go on the cruise and do a Flash Mob. You will be famous. DD will be blown away.

When I was young I would celebrate my birthday for days, let each day be a continuation of her birthday. Each port a special thing to celebrate her 16th. Let her pick amazing dresses for Formal nights. There are so many ways to celebrate this big day. Mostly make sure you go to every photo spot on formal nights for pictures so you will have many to choose from at the end of your cruise to remember this special time.

For my 40th my friend and I left our husbands home and took a girl's cruise to celebrate. She planned it ahead of time with my husband but they told me so I could shop, plan and pack what I wanted. My friend "surprised" me each day with a little "something" and had party favors each evening for our dinner mates. It was so cool, and our table at dinner became quite the party! Now, MY specials somethings were different and outrages costumes I had to wear,(a large blue Marge Simpson wig for example) :eek: which I highly doubt a 16 year old would appreciate, but you could still do small inexpensive things like sunglasses, flipflops etc.

We had TOO much fun, (had to delete some pictures) and I could not wait to see the next "something"!

Don't let one person spoil a great time.......you should not let anyone have that much control. ;)

Thaks for all the feedback, yes it was my daughter that said "yu can't change the plans". I called the person who "told" my daughter to ask why, maybe it slipped. Come to find out my daughter went snooping through my personal things in my room in our safe. I had put all of the documents there with the rest of the important papers we keep there, one day when I was not home she did this. I apologized for bring mad at him, explained that my daughter said he told her.

PS. I certainly would not act like a baby on the ship, I plan having a good time no matter what. I guess I should have said I was disappointed instead of mad.

whatever you do..please do not let the bigmouth friend know how much her telling your daughter hurt you. The friend is counting on being able to wield this kind of power...so if I were you..just say that you were planning to tell your dd anyway and that it is no big deal that the friend blabbed....

just dont let the friend:rolleyes:think she got the upper hand...bullies like that sort of stuff you know..and hate when they are not effective..and that is when they back off

We have a cruise planned for January 5 on the miracle. The day e ship leaves is my daughters 16th birthday, so needless to say it is supposed to be a surprise. I was going to tell the girls that we were going to Florida for their birthdays for a few days ( my youngest has a bday on January 12). Well imagine my surprise to find out that someone told my daughter, now the surprise is ruined and she basically said well you can't change the plans now! I just want to scream. This trip has been planned since the end of Feb. Now what do I do?

What do you do now? You go on the cruise. Maybe the surprise is ruined but the cruise isn't.

Come to find out my daughter went snooping through my personal things in my room in our safe.

Speechless.............. in our home, this would be grounds for not going on the cruise all together!! Every safe I have ever seen has a lock or code for a reason.

Thaks for all the feedback, yes it was my daughter that said "yu can't change the plans". I called the person who "told" my daughter to ask why, maybe it slipped. Come to find out my daughter went snooping through my personal things in my room in our safe. I had put all of the documents there with the rest of the important papers we keep there, one day when I was not home she did this. I apologized for bring mad at him, explained that my daughter said he told her.

PS. I certainly would not act like a baby on the ship, I plan having a good time no matter what. I guess I should have said I was disappointed instead of mad.

Okay at this point is when I would be so so so mad. Wow.

I think all of us who have kids have had some not so proud moments with them. The OP came on the board with the problem of the ruined surprise vacation, and then discovered her older daughter's part in it. And instead of keeping it to herself she put it out there for all to see - which showed some courage on her part as I see it.

I hope this doesn't turn into a parenting lambasting session. Not saying that anyone has done that, but I hope we all don't go there. I know for myself, I may complain about my son & read him the riot act but it's hard to hear other people speak the same criticisms.

As others have noted the anticipation and planning is exciting. The other day my son had to go to the after hours clinic because he hurt his neck wrestling. It was a long wait. I finally asked him something about the cruise, and we spent over an hour discussing different things to do with the cruise! He's 16 and I couldn't believe how excited he was to talk about it.

I'd have a problem with my daughter going thru my personal papers

which are locked in a safe and then lying to me about how she

found out.

Speechless.............. in our home, this would be grounds for not going on the cruise all together!!

Okay at this point is when I would be so so so mad. Wow.

As a parent, this would definitely be one of the things that would devastate me...I agree with all of the above.

Since the Op told us this, I am wondering if she asked her DD WHY on earth she was snooping??

I think all of us who have kids have had some not so proud moments with them. The OP came on the board with the problem of the ruined surprise vacation, and then discovered her older daughter's part in it. And instead of keeping it to herself she put it out there for all to see - which showed some courage on her part as I see it.

I hope this doesn't turn into a parenting lambasting session. Not saying that anyone has done that, but I hope we all don't go there. I know for myself, I may complain about my son & read him the riot act but it's hard to hear other people speak the same criticisms.

Well put..the road of our lives are paved with our mistakes, snoopings, and higher roads taken all mixed up..much love to this family however they work it out....it's lessons learned in the end that is the most important..IMHO..not how you do it...Sarah

Try not to be too upset!! I "surprised" my kids with a disney world vacation.... I kept it secret from Sept to Dec. (We went in Feb; I "gave" them the trip for Christmas).

She will be thankful now and then just as well- :)

Like others have said, plan a "surprise" excursion that will be REALLY memorable!

I only read page one before I commented; I noticed that she "snooped" and found out.

As a teenager, I would often do this too- so I am not going to say anything negative like others are doing.

I would share with her the disappointment, and then move ahead.

Archived