Splendor Review - Long review with some photos

jbobst

Thanks so much for the great review!

Does anyone know where I'd order a birthday cake for my sister? Is it done at Formalities where you order the corsages, etc.? Thanks for the help!

Yes you can order on the ship from formalities or pre-order and pre-pay by using the Bon Voyage gifts which has an online form on the Carnival website. That's what I do. Same place you order flowers, wine, chocolate covered strawberries, cabin decorations etc. I've even pre-ordered gifts for my family so the stuff is on the bed when we walk in the cabin. My kids have gotten the chocolate ships to eat too.

2739819370040669306S500x500Q85.jpg

Thanks, AZ Kareoke Girl. Great picture, BTW. I would order the cake beforehand, but I don't want it delivered to her cabin. I'd rather have it delivered during Your Time Dining. Not sure if I can do that?

OP-Thanks for the pics along with the review. Carnival isn't my first choice either, but it does have it's place. It's a great option when you have a large range of ages and everyone needs to be satisfied, especially very young kids that aren't allowed in kids' programs on other cruise lines.

• 3 weeks later...

So I can understand where you are coming from with regards to the decor of Carnival ships. However, I think they (Carnival) also feel the same. Their architect, Joe Farcus, is no longer designing/decorating their ships. If you have seen anything of the upcoming Breeze you will notice a much more sophisticated and subdued look. Also with their Funship 2.0 upgrades a lot of what they are bringing has less glitz and more pleasant tones to it. I think it just takes time.

Yet, I don't think that the "fun" Carnival offers will be disappearing as the population will reflect the price point. (I am part of the population reflected in the price point)

Anyhow, I enjoyed your review. Thank you for writing, it is very far and few between that a West Coast ship is reviewed.

Thanks so much for posting your review and pictures! Wow, that is some decor! We haven't been on a Carnival ship in years, and are really looking forward to sailing on the Splendor this winter. We think our kids will love it!

I was on the Splendor Halloween cruise -- great fun. The ship looked very pretty in the photos I saw online, and I found it to be even more beautiful in person! The Atrium was decorated with corals/pinks in addition to many other colors. The service on the Splendor was terrific; the fun: fantastic; the week: too short. If the food had been better, I would re-book on the Splendor immediately. On Day 6, I put a deposit down for a future cruise, which will be in a Spa Cabin on either the Magic or the Dream...Can't wait!!!

Thanks for the review! I was surprised to learn that they pushed the couch together with the bed. I was told that it couldn't be done. Did your steward suggest this or did you ask? I'm just wondering because my parents are booked in the same cabin on the Dream next month and it would be great if they could get a bigger bed!

Can you tell me where they held karaoke on the Splendor? Do you still have your fun times with times & locations?

Hi Lisa...I was on the Splendor Halloween cruise and I have my Fun Times. Its late so I can't do it tonight but tomorrow I will try and find the time to post the info that you want. I will prob start a new thread so you will be able to find it.

Hi Lisa...I was on the Splendor Halloween cruise and I have my Fun Times. Its late so I can't do it tonight but tomorrow I will try and find the time to post the info that you want. I will prob start a new thread so you will be able to find it.

I'll be on the Splendor in a few weeks. I would love to see the FunTimes.

MsSoCalCruiser....... I would love to see the FunTimes too. Have some from March and June. Just curious to see if they've changed much :) Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the detailed review. Los Angeles is about the only port that I could drive to, so I've been considering a cruise on the Splendor. Not everything Carnival is suited to my taste or lifestyle, but for the price, I'm willing to go with the flow. :)

Really enjoyed your review and pictures. We sailed with Carnival twice in the 90's (Gawd seems like so long ago). And then twice in the past few years on Princess. Although we enjoyed Carnival, we preferred the more relaxed atmosphere on Princess and found the ships to be less, Las Vegas gawdy. I hope that makes sense. Each is different and unique, and every vacation is what you make it.

I have a business trip to California in January and have always wanted to cruise Mexican Riviera so were going to give the Splendor a shot. I'm anxious to see how the Carnival product has changed since our last cruise with them.

• 5 weeks later...
Really enjoyed your review and pictures. We sailed with Carnival twice in the 90's (Gawd seems like so long ago). And then twice in the past few years on Princess. Although we enjoyed Carnival, we preferred the more relaxed atmosphere on Princess and found the ships to be less, Las Vegas gawdy. I hope that makes sense. Each is different and unique, and every vacation is what you make it.

I have a business trip to California in January and have always wanted to cruise Mexican Riviera so were going to give the Splendor a shot. I'm anxious to see how the Carnival product has changed since our last cruise with them.

We last cruised on Carnival in 1989!:eek: We really enjoy Princess, but there were no Princess cruises going to the Mexican Riviera in late January, which is when we wanted to go. So we're going to give the Splendor a shot also. Hope you have a great cruise!

Excellent review . . . especially liked the pics of the Whale Shark. I've cruised the SPLENDOR twice and also wish she would make the La Paz run now and then. Your critiquing style is to be commended . . . facts and impressions without the "bashing" tone. Really increases the credibility of a review. Thanks, again.

Quick Question: What camera did you use for those great pics ?

Totally agree w/the OP. We've had about 15+ cruises on Carnival, but will not go on the Splendor again.....Just something about the decor, the flow of the ship---it just looks like they did a mush-mash of all the ships in one. At least on the Destiny or the Elation (I think) they had beautiful glasswork----on the Splendor we notices fake plants, a smaller pool area---was really disappointed w/the Splendor. LOVED the Liberty and the Freedom.

Actually, we are in our mid 30's, and have had one Princess cruise and one Holland America cruise. Both the Princess and HAL cruises were probably our favorites. Even when we were in our 20's we were pretty conservative in our lifestyle (not necessarily conservative in everything though). We just don't really drink much, other than a glass of wine for dinner. I enjoy music, but I grew up listening to a lot of classical music, and I am more of a "soothing" music kind of person. I do like a fun and lively atmosphere occasionally, and I would like to learn how to dance, but nightclubs and loud music definitely aren't really our scene.

The pink really didn't bother me too much, it's just that our previous cruises on other cruise lines seemed alot more conservative and elegant. The doughnut looking rings in the elevator doors and the lime green grout on the black tile were pretty ridiculous looking, but the pink isn't too bad. Have fun regardless, and it sounds like you will!

We love the Splendor and we will not let the color pink and the circles affect our cruise experience. The Summer Breeze duo are fabulous, its too bad there contract was up dec. 11 and there were going home for a couple of months and than going on another ship. We will miss them.

I really loved your review..it was easy to understand likes and dislikes, making the most fun out of something without perfection for your style, recognition of the quality for the price, and so many details I have been wanting..music, how those specific cabins really are with noise and when, some great ways to enjoy things to do in Mexico with ship time. I think I would really enjoy it once, I like the smaller Fantasy class ships and think they draw a unique enjoyable crowd on the 4 day cruises in California for affordable breaks and love the Tea in piano bar rooms and the libraries are nice for cards and games on those ships. I think the Spirit class has some zaney decor mixed with more class and superior ship flow and a better passenger space ratio..if you do Carnival again and one of those ships is avbx and proper price point,,,I would go with them...

I have only been on Princess and Hal once in short cruises,..loved loved loved them. I so want a full week on almost any ship...LOL... just love how you did not take your vacation for granted, did a lot to enjoy it, and were honest about your preferences in a lovely way...thanks..learned a lot..would LOVE the La Paz trip...sarah

PS

I also loved your kids saving for the soda cards...how we all learn and gorgeous gorgeous flattering photos of the ship..in the "best light" and oh the Queen Mary..love her and that port....Sarah

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks so much for such a detailed review. Am taking young DD's on the trip who are thrilled with the pink decor :) We have done a MR cruise on Disney but the Carnival price could not be beat!

We just got off the Disney Wonder to the MR and it was fabulous, but so pricy!!! We are now looking at the Splendor vs the Spirit for SPring Break 2012. Any suggestions on how to chose between the two? We live in SD so Spirit would be easier but it's only 5d instead of 7.

THanks! Katherine

Archived